Andrius Velicka - Video

KGR98

Actually liked him in his limited appearances offered a physcial presence and was a capable finisher but Boyd was the top striker at the time and he wasnt shifting him and their styles didnt compliment each other together

A much bigger contribution than hes credited for btw despite being pretty poor finishing aside.

Only got one real run in the team after scoring on his debut in a hoaching 1-0 win at Falkirk when we got injuries up front but he got 4 crucial goals in his 4 starts towards the end of the season or something similar to that. All in narrow games with not much in them. I think I'm right in saying one of them was scored at Easter Road in late April when we beat Hibs 3-2.

We won the league on the last day that year so Velicka really had a much bigger hand in Smith's first title back than most remember.

Last edited:
I never liked nor rated him.
He missed a good chance in Kaunus in that humiliation and the match I remember comparing him to Boyd was at Hampden against a weak team (St Mirren , Falkirk?) . So Scottish Cup or League Cup semi probably.
He had two or three chances when he received the ball about 16 hards out , clear and free , level with the left hand post and they all came to nothing. Gets subbed, Boyd comes on and gets the ball in the same position. Bang! In the net.

I’ll raise you the Boyd / Scott MacDonald partnership Chesney thought was going to take Middlesbrough into the Premiership.
Tbh I thought at the time when we where linked with MacDonald that it would have been a great partnership for us till he went to the taigs . also chesney thought was a good idea 5 years after I did