Andy Goram - 92/93 Season

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
I’m struggling to remember a better individual season from a goalkeeper than the goalie in 92/93. A colossus for us then, god knows how many points he was worth.

If memory serves me right he won both the writers and players player of the year awards that season too.

You can add Chris Woods to that list.

Andy Goram was for a periond 91-96, the best keeper I've ever seen.
In my lifetime of watching Rangers we raised the standard considerably in the goalkeeping stakes when we signed Chris Woods. Pre labyrinthitis he commanded the whole area unlike any Rangers keeper before or since.

His save from the Potential Kid in the 1987 New Year game was sensational.

Blind loyalty to Peter Shilton from Mexico 86 onwards prevented him from increasing an already impressive number of caps for England.

I’m struggling to remember a better individual season from a goalkeeper than the goalie in 92/93. A colossus for us then, god knows how many points he was worth.

If memory serves me right he won both the writers and players player of the year awards that season too.
Big man, always like ur posts and I think at round about that time Goram was thee number one goalkeeper right up until schmeichel took it off him. Thinking back there was maybe taffarell and peruzzi (spelling on both), and yeah that’s round about the time I can kinda start to remember football... but fk me Goram was actual world number one GK there or there-abouts

He was genuinely world class. If he’d played in England at his peak he’d be talked about like Schmeichel, Seaman and De Gea.

Goram was better.
Count the number of "howlers" Goram had at the peak of his career compared to Schmeichel. It's a small fraction of the guy many reckon is the greatest keeper in the EPL era (because that's when football started seemingly).

Goram at the top of his game was unsurpassed by any of his contemporaries.

Between November 1991 and May 1993 Andy Goram was the best goalkeeper in the world, and I would argue that point with anybody.

Even after his knee injury and 'attitude problems' in 1994 he was still one of the very, very best.

Between November 1991 and May 1993 Andy Goram was the best goalkeeper in the world, and I would argue that point with anybody.

Even after his knee injury and 'attitude problems' in 1994 he was still one of the very, very best.
Totally agree,I’ve had the argument with English fans on several occasions.

Was that the game he basically sat on the ball in the last minute, Hately scored a header from the corner of the box?

It was, thanked the size of his arse for that save. Someone else makes a fair point, the 95/96 season probably isn’t far off the same level. Remember that fingertip save from O’Donnell at the piggery? If you’re talking about a keeper making incredible saves at big moments in big games, I can’t think of anyone to match Goram.

ps, one season after that had some brilliant moments too, who doesn’t love to watch the Van Hooijdonk penalty save?

Woods was better
I can see the argument for that. It would have been interesting to see how Woods would have fared with the defensive partnerships of Gough and Nisbet/Brown/McLaren and even a move to a back 3.
Woods was an excellent goalkeeper and arguably played behind a better central defence than Goram ever did in Butcher and Gough... and often had little to do a result.

Goram played for Rangers for longer and probably played in more iconic games and won more, so he gets the nod from many.

Both were certainly intimidating to opposition forward lines.

Another big thing for Goram was that the passback rule didn’t affect him - he was reasonable with his feet and so suddenly being unable to pick the ball up didn’t cause big issues.
To be fair, I think Woods was comfortable with the ball at his feet but we never really saw it because at the time the goalkeeper receiving a passback and picking up up to launch it out was part of the game. Woods was reported to play outfield in training matches.

The van hugedonkey point blank save in the 3 each draw,was in WE in line with the goal ,they really did think they had scored and the look on big Dutch’s face was priceless.

Goram is my favourite keeper we've had. Also my favourite player growing up in the 90's. Used to argue with anyone who'd claim Schmeichel was better. Up there with the likes of Pagliuca, Peruzzi & without doubt better than Seaman for me.

I have a memory of a great save from Di Canio, possibly during the defeat in Scottish Cup 1/4 final, I can never find it though. I pulled of a similar save during a game in my youth.

Here's a list of the best keepers of the 90's, don't agree personally.

World class. Could watch his montages all day.

The Van Whateverthefuc save is the best I've ever seen. He can't wait and see where it goes to save it that close, he has to anticipate where it's going and get his hand there on time. Outrageous.

He was a genuinely world class keeper.
Had the body of a darts player and a lifestyle to suit but by %^*& he could and did repeatedly make saves that not many other keepers in the world could have.

World class keeper in 95/96 I would argue he was easily best in Britain.

However he was a liability in the 97/98 and if we signed Klos a year earlier we win the 10.

Strange thing was he still had decent career when he left us so think he just let myself go at the end of his time with us. Walter was far too leniant with him as well.

Goram played the last three months of the 92/93 with knee ligament damage as well after a Brugge player landed on it over there. That's how good he was. I still think his absolute peak was 1994-96 when Walter read him the riot act and forced him to lose weight. Several European games Goram stopped us from taking an absolute drubbing.

World class keeper in 95/96 I would argue he was easily best in Britain.

However he was a liability in the 97/98 and if we signed Klos a year earlier we win the 10.

Strange thing was he still had decent career when he left us so think he just let myself go at the end of his time with us. Walter was far too leniant with him as well.

Goram was only 34 when he left Ibrox and yet couldn't get a club for over 4 months after his departure. I think that speaks volumes of his form and conditioning in his final season where he was an utter disgrace as a professional. It should've been a wake up call, instead he seemed to hold a grudge against Dick Advocaat for(quite rightly) parping him out

Goram played the last three months of the 92/93 with knee ligament damage as well after a Brugge player landed on it over there. That's how good he was. I still think his absolute peak was 1994-96 when Walter read him the riot act and forced him to lose weight. Several European games Goram stopped us from taking an absolute drubbing.

Goram was only 34 when he left Ibrox and yet couldn't get a club for over 4 months after his departure. I think that speaks volumes of his form and conditioning in his final season where he was an utter disgrace as a professional.

Yep cost us the league arguably. Beat that mob at home with 3/4 games to go top, then his performance at Pittodre next game was an absolute disgrace. Genuinely think he was bevvying night before games in that period as the drop in form from 96 to 98 was shambolic tbh

Yep cost us the league arguably. Beat that mob at home with 3/4 games to go top, then his performance at Pittodre next game was an absolute disgrace. Genuinely think he was bevvying night before games in that period as the drop in form from 96 to 98 was shambolic tbh

The joggy trousers and the curly mullet were the tell tale signs.

TBF to Walter, I do think he bought Niemi the summer of 1997 with the intention of playing. However, Niemi broke his finger twice in the space of a few months which set him back and his Rangers career arguably never recovered.

There's something that bugs me about how a Football match can be summarised.

Against Celtic, Lennon said "The keeper has saved them from a hammering" (or some shite, the prick) like it was a bad thing. A good team isn't 10 outfields players and some random bloke. A good keeper is worth as many goals as a striker sometimes and Goram won us many a game.

The joggy trousers and the curly mullet were the tell tale signs.

TBF to Walter, I do think he bought Niemi the summer of 1997 with the intention of playing. However, Niemi broke his finger twice in the space of a few months which set him back and his Rangers career arguably never recovered.

Do you mind when walter put him up for sale after he went awol with his oldham ex team mates abroad?

I remember after he sorted it out goram wrote in the rangers news that no one came in for him!

A mate of mine worked at the Concert Hall over 96/97 season and when he would be coming home he saw a few of the players out boozing in the city centre the night before midweek games over that season.

A fair number of that squad were a shambles at that time to be fair and they fed off each other.

Do you mind when walter put him up for sale after he went awol with his oldham ex team mates abroad?

I remember after he sorted it out goram wrote in the rangers news that no one came in for him!

Wasn't the story at the time that Walter had no intention of selling him but wanted to frighten the shit out of him so that he'd knuckle down ?

Lost over a stone and signed a new deal by the September IIRC. The game over in Athens he kept it at2-0 because they battered us that night.

Wasn't the story at the time that Walter had no intention of selling him but wanted to frighten the shit out of him so that he'd knuckle down ?

Lost over a stone and signed a new deal by the September IIRC. The game over in Athens he kept it at2-0 because they battered us that night.

Yeah he wrote in a jokey way tbf.

I watched that athens game in a pub on holiday in cyprus. It was grim.

Great shot stopper was Goram and would dive into a pile of bodies no problem, one on one there was only one winner

I`ll add to the above that Andy Goram played for Rangers during halcyon days.... we were better than good;Andy had guys like Richard Gough; Bomber; Davie Robertson;; Gary Stevens in front of him.
We regularly punched our weight against Europe`s best;sometimes without success;most of the time with a great deal of success!
Amongst all of this.the filth were shite;the odd irrelevant win where nothing rested on the outcome aside... in 1995 they got their first break with a hugedonkey winner at a `neutral` final against Airdrie.
The next season they came at us with a vengeance;losing (iirc) two cup games where we put them out;and just one league game(again this is from memory guys)....
Their then manager Tommy Burns admitted after they(despite a valiant effort)came away empty handed... `his name will be on my headstone`.
Andy Goram was THAT good.

We would probably never have signed him if it hadn't been for the 3 foreigner rule.

As others have said we've been spoiled for keepers over the years but Goram is the pinnacle.

It’s messing with my OCD that the OP has used a picture from the season before the one he’s mentioning.

Back