Andy Goram - ashes buried behind the Copland goal line

It's very easy to slate the club for alot of things, but the fact theres only a handful of players laid to rest in Ibrox and he's one certainly says something. He'll guard the Copland Road goal forever more.

'When all my life has ended, and Death has made his mark,
Will you scatter all my ashes on the slopes of Ibrox Park'

Superb gesture - and a fitting tribute to the Goalie.

As for the photo, I'm sure a more recent image could've been used.
9141827-MDnra-LQN.jpg
Indeed thats more like it

Well, i done a little search on google amd found an old forum page.
Here is what i found.
Tiger Shaw , Alex willoughby, willie findlay, Jim Baxter, Sandy Jardine are the ones I know of.

Whether this is true or not, no one seems to know. in the early days at Ibrox, a horse was used to pull the cutter to cut the grass. The story went that the Groundsman had a favourite horse and that after the horse died it was buried behind the goals at the Rangers end.
I've seen the plaques in place there for Jim Baxter, Eric Caldow, Jock Shaw, & Willie Findlay so they are definitely there. It seems right that The Goalie should be there as his final resting place.

Just came into my head there. Is he laid just behind goal line or behind goal. Reason i ask, it would be a nice we tribute if a pair of gloves were laid behind the goal at beginning of each match, by match day keeper.

Rangers legend Andy Goram’s ashes were buried under the Ibrox pitch in a ceremony held by his loved ones.

His remains were placed inches behind the centre of the goal line at the Copland Road stand in a private service.

It comes five weeks after Goram – nicknamed The Goalie – lost his battle with cancer, aged 58.

Lovely Tribute to the goalie. Always there in Spirit protecting the Copland Goal

My thoughts are that over time the ashes will filter down and become an intrinsic part of the foundations of Ibrox - far deeper that any pitch makeover
Stupidly I had it in my head the urn would be buried (as we'd considered for my dad) but if just the ashes, it was indeed a silly question and what you say makes perfect sense.

Fantastic tribute actually a little bit emotional

Wouldn’t have been a better place

RIP THE Goalie

Great gesture from the Club. Hopefully we’ll find out soon what Walter’s tribute will be too, it’s not far off a year since Park was very clear that something was being done. Might be done for his anniversary.

This may be a silly question, are the ashes buried in an urn when this happens or the actual ashes? I’m guessing it’s an urn so when the pitch is renewed they are placed back.

Well done to all concerned.

Absolute class & a fitting tribute to the best GK I have ever seen play for us.

This may be a silly question, are the ashes buried in an urn when this happens or the actual ashes? I’m guessing it’s an urn so when the pitch is renewed they are placed back.
Same silly question I asked :)

I hope he is looking down on us tonight and giving the Union keeper nightmares and blowing magic kisses on big Jon.

Excellent gesture from the club; and a feeling of peace for both Andy`s family, and in turn the whole Rangers support; in the knowledge that The Goalie is at rest where he would have wanted to be. There could be no more poignant and fitting resting place.

It's very easy to slate the club for alot of things, but the fact theres only a handful of players laid to rest in Ibrox and he's one certainly says something. He'll guard the Copland Road goal forever more.

'When all my life has ended, and Death has made his mark,
Will you scatter all my ashes on the slopes of Ibrox Park'
Arthur Dixon our Oldham born centre-half and trainer under Bill Struth had his ashes scattered at Ibrox after he died in 1965.

Last edited:
Had the pleasure of watching his Rangers career from right behind those goals - a fitting resting place for The Goalie.

RIP.

Sad.
His bravery in his final days was something else, so much so that McCoist thought he was in shock or denial.
But he wasn't - just a super brave man.

Back