Andy Goram

Lester Piggott

Watching a MOTD thing there about Schmeical and said to the missus that if Goram had played in England in his pomp he’d be regarded the same as Schemical.

She asked if Goram was ever linked with any moves to England and I honestly can’t remember that he was. Am I missing any obvious rumours or near misses?

Watching a MOTD thing there about Schmeical and said to the missus that if Goram had played in England in his pomp he’d be regarded the same as Schemical.

She asked if Goram was ever linked with any moves to England and I honestly can’t remember that he was. Am I missing any obvious rumours or near misses?
Why?
He was playing for the biggest club side in Britain at that time.
Rangers weren't where a player moved on from, Rangers were where good players finished up.

Why?
He was playing for the biggest club side in Britain at that time.
Rangers weren't where a player moved on from, Rangers were where good players finished up.
I’m not saying he should have moved. But it would be unusual if a player of that quality didn’t attract attention from down south and be linked with clubs.

Different era, where the EPL wasn’t chucking the money around just as much as it is now and there wasn’t as big a financial gulf - plus he was happy here.

Slightly off topic but kinda to do with it :)) I've heard Walter Smith say on a few occasions that he would have sold Goram in the summer of 94 if a serious bid came in for him. And it got me to thinking, why didn't it? Great showing in the champions league the season previously and still Scotlands top goalie despite injuries.

I cant remember the papers linking him with other teams, although I would have been about 7 and a bit young to remember.

Slightly off topic but kinda to do with it :)) I've heard Walter Smith say on a few occasions that he would have sold Goram in the summer of 94 if a serious bid came in for him. And it got me to thinking, why didn't it? Great showing in the champions league the season previously and still Scotlands top goalie despite injuries.

I cant remember the papers linking him with other teams, although I would have been about 7 and a bit young to remember.
I'm not sure. He was definitely made available for transfer though.

In regard to the op, he did eventually play in England after leaving Motherwell. Signed for Man U and played a couple of games.

If you’re selling a great player there needs to be a reason. He was seen a a potentially liability. Glad it turned out the way it did though.

I suppose that’s what I was trying to ask. Did anyone try and prise him away from us?

NINTCHDBPICT000002435109.jpg

I'm not sure. He was definitely made available for transfer though.

In regard to the op, he did eventually play in England after leaving Motherwell. Signed for Man U and played a couple of games.

Real weird one that, Hooked off for Van der Gouw in the middle of a game one time.

Can't remember who it was against, maybe Coventry, he looked like a Sunday league keeper that had turned up at the end of a long Saturday sesh.

Gorum likely wouldn't have been able to have the same lifestyle anywhere other than Rangers, it's probably why he didn't come close to leaving.

Real weird one that, Hooked off for Van der Gouw in the middle of a game one time.

Can't remember who it was against, maybe Coventry, he looked like a Sunday league keeper that had turned up at the end of a long Saturday sesh.
Aye he made John Hartson look like Pele that day. Man U won the league that day and basically relegated Coventry as well I think, 4-2. No thanks to Goram!

Played a few games for Man utd and didn't cover himself in glory IMS.

Smart arse answers when we know what the OPs getting at.

At his peak, Goram was simply world class. In the same way as @Mezzala put it, he was only ever going to be as good as he was at Rangers, never anywhere else.

What Signature boots is he wearing?
Valsport, quality boot. Also wearing my favourite number, good combination . I don't think he was on the transfer list to long in '94. His injuries would have put clubs off, were his knees not done at this point. Not sure how much of 94/95 he played.

Gorum likely wouldn't have been able to have the same lifestyle anywhere other than Rangers, it's probably why he didn't come close to leaving.
When you consider how great he was and how unhealthy his lifestyle seemed to be for a professional sportsman...

Game time seemed to power him up to incredible levels and balance out the booze/birds/bookies drain that was probably on the go at all other times.

"The action is the juice"

I'm sure on his debut for man United he conceded 5 and told fergie to "beat it" in a different phase after the game lol sounds like him
Absolute lies
Beat Coventry 4 2 in debut
Lost 2 1 to Southampton when league was already won and it was a lot of fringe players playing.

He was injured for the majority of 93/94 that coupled with his reputation back then would I’m sure put a few teams off. Worked out well for us as he got back to his best the filling seasons. As I’m sure most Celtic fans would grudgingly admit.

I think part of the reason in his peak he wasn’t linked is that we were the biggest club in Britain for a period probably paying almost the best also

Fergie signing a clearly past it Goram for a few games has to be one of the weirdest things he's ever done. It's such a heads gone moment.

Goalkeepers back then are a different breed to these days. It's almost like Ederson and Alisson are playing a different position to the likes of Goram and Schmeichel given how involved in their team's style of play they are and the amount of yards they put into a game.

I remember the Record ran a story linking us with David Seaman circa 97/98. Still not sure where they pulled that one from.

I heard that when Walter put him on the transfer list Newcastle were interested and going to bid £3m but after doing a bit of due diligence on Goram his lifestyle and fitness concerns put them off.

He was that good he went to Man U at the end of his career.

As much as I loved Goram, particularly in games against them, Neville Southall was the man at that time
Cant agree
A decent keeper but from 96 onwards was in and out of the team because of poor performances.
that was when we were doing 8 and 9 in a row. Goram and Schmeichel were the best in the world at the time and I think even old Nev would agree.

Only reason Van der Gouw came on was so he was able to get his premier league winners medal so this is a total myth.

Don't know how much of a myth it was brother, I definitely watched it and he was definitely howling.:))

Maybe they put it diplomatically afterwards but If it was to get the keeper a medal you'd think they would make the change at the end rather than not long after half time.

Fergie signing a clearly past it Goram for a few games has to be one of the weirdest things he's ever done. It's such a heads gone moment.

Goalkeepers back then are a different breed to these days. It's almost like Ederson and Alisson are playing a different position to the likes of Goram and Schmeichel given how involved in their team's style of play they are and the amount of yards they put into a game.

I remember the Record ran a story linking us with David Seaman circa 97/98. Still not sure where they pulled that one from.

He was never coming!

Cant agree
A decent keeper but from 96 onwards was in and out of the team because of poor performances.
that was when we were doing 8 and 9 in a row. Goram and Schmeichel were the best in the world at the time and I think even old Nev would agree.

That’s a little skewed imo, right at the end of Southalls top flight career.
And you could say the same for Goram btw, I had the misfortune to watch him at Boundary Park, Oldham as Cardiff put 7 past him.
Where their careers overlapped and they could be compared, early nineties, Southall was the best about as far as I’m concerned.

As much as I loved Goram, particularly in games against them, Neville Southall was the man at that time
Not even the best British goalie in the EPL at that time. What about Woods and Seaman?
Woods would never have left if the 3 foreigner rule hadn’t come in. He was still class until mid 90’s at Wednesday.

Not even the best British goalie in the EPL at that time. What about Woods and Seaman?
Woods would never have left if the 3 foreigner rule hadn’t come in. He was still class until mid 90’s at Wednesday.

Southall's peak was the 80's. He was nowhere near the best in the 90's. He was heavier, slower and still capable of the some sensational saves but he was nowhere near as good as he was in his pomp. There was a game in the 90's where Wales were pummeled 7-1 by Holland and Southall got MOTM because he bascially kept it at 7 instead of 12, 13 or 14.

Between 94-96 there wasn't a single goalkeeper I'd have swapped Goram for.

Andy Goram will always be a Rangers legend in my eyes. Terrific shot stopper, broke many a tim's heart with his performances against them. Penalty save off Van Hugedonkey at the scumhut, the stuff of legends.

And you could say the same for Goram btw, I had the misfortune to watch him at Boundary Park, Oldham as Cardiff put 7 past him.
Where their careers overlapped and they could be compared, early nineties, Southall was the best about as far as I’m concerned.
90s ? Early
Goram was far superior. There were easily 4 or 5 goalies in the premier league too who were better. Southall was at his best in the 80s.

If all of these guys were world class, why did we fail to qualify from the groups every year?
Always wondered this myself, struggled to make the groups a few times also.

Walter’s tactical naivety perhaps, and our lack of modernisation within the club, but if that’s the case then surely the players can’t be world class?,

I think part of the reason in his peak he wasn’t linked is that we were the biggest club in Britain for a period probably paying almost the best also
Goram (amongst others) was on £1,000 per week at Rangers

It was in the papers when he got divorced and had to declare earnings etc

Of course he would have bumped that up with appearance money, clean sheet bonus, cup bonuses etc etc

But only guaranteed £1k per week

Back