Andy Gray - “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games"

Clubs pay what they think someone is worth. They won’t even look at our press, nonsense to think that influences them.
They will go to us or the scum and make an offer. It is then up to the selling club to determine when they will sell. The buying club might think %^*& that they are wanting crazy money.
However they might think we will give them 20m for Tierney as if he has a couple of good seasons we can sel him for 3 times that in a few years.
Unfortunately because Morelos hasn’t played champs league or many international games that makes his value a wee bit less while up here, even though as a striker he could potentially sell in the future for far more than Tierney.
The media has no influence on what a club want to pay, however it might make the selling club try and inflate the price. It really depends then on whether the buying club want to pay.

You really don’t think positive hype raises value in a player, and negative coverage doesn’t?

Honestly?

We didn’t lose any trophies because of Morelos last season. We lost them because other members of the squad were unable to contribute to the required standard.

It’s a bizarre phenomenon where supporters of teams that were not good blame their best players. Happens in every sport.

Meh.... didn't we? I would question that in particular re the League Cup - his not being on the park didn't help, not all on him, but not totally blameless.

Teams do point at players they pay loads of money and turn down bids for yeah - sort of comes with the territory.

Last edited:
Buying clubs do not base their valuations on the Scottish press or what ex-players say.

They neither base their valuations on what ex-Celtic pundits say.

Do it in Europe and you’ll get a few quid. Do against Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and we’ll get low balled.

Suddenly all becomes clear..............the story is by Keith Jackson.

Has he still got his press privileges removed?

He got a ridiculous booking in the Quarter final against Ayr, I think, after somebody halfed him and he reacted to what was a shocking tackle - Hard to argue refs haven't bought into the whole "hes a hothead" mantra peddled by Sutton et al

European sending of was laughable, ridculous decision, booked and red carded for same incident!

OF game he let himself and us down badly

I get you would rather be shot of him but you seem to be stretching at things now

No, no - you mentalist.

People can think multiple things without having some deep driven agenda against a thing.

Don't hate at me because of your failure to compute things.

Meh.... didn't we I would question that in particular re the League Cup - his not being on the park didn't help, not all on him, but not totally blameless.

Teams do point at players they pay loads of money and turn down bids for yeah - sort of comes with the territory.
It’s not Morelos’ fault that Gerrard and Allen couldn’t get a deal done for Lafferty prior to the League Cup commencing.

It’s also not his fault that Gerrard signed and played Sadiq.

The League Cup semi was Gerrards failing for building a squad that only had one reliable striker.

And not teams - fans. We saw it last year with Tav - by far and away our outstanding player, but folk could only talk about his defensive issues. Don’t blame the good players guys, blame the bad ones.

Do I want to keep Alfredo? A fit and disciplined player, then absolutely. He has the potential to go right to the very top. Andy Gray made a lot of valid points probably as a result of loaded questions. It's clear the mhedia have an aghenda here and went looking for the story and headlines.

No, no - you mentalist.

People can think multiple things without having some deep driven agenda against a thing.

Don't hate at me because of your failure to compute things.

"Mentalist" for dismantling your claims re reasons for him missing these key games

He couldn't be involved in semi final due to how he is refereed in our country, anyone who denies he is judged to a different standard to others hasnt been watching

No worries, have a nice day

Stop greeting when an ex player doesn’t blow smoke up our arses!
He’s gave an honest assessment and he isn’t wrong either. You’ve all said it on here yourselves.

It’s not Morelos’ fault that Gerrard and Allen couldn’t get a deal done for Lafferty prior to the League Cup commencing.

The League Cup semi was Gerrards failing for building a squad that only had one reliable striker.

And not teams - fans. We saw it last year with Tav - by far and away our outstanding player, but folk could only talk about his defensive issues. Don’t blame the good players guys, blame the bad ones.

Yeah I said that.... it's not all his fault, literally in my post....

He is in part to blame as he missed the game because of suspension...

Folks say loads of shit about loads of players, good, bad indifferent

It is just people thinking things... surely people sort of sign up to that when they join a forum, pick up a pape etc.

"Mentalist" for dismantling your claims re reasons for him missing these key games

He couldn't be involved in semi final due to how he is refereed in our country, anyone who denies he is judged to a different standard to others hasnt been watching

He wouldn’t have been missing these games if he hadn’t got involved.
He can only be “judged to a different standard” if he gives the officials a decision to make, which he often does. Tell me which of his red cards weren’t sending off offences?

Yeah but he did miss the games......that's the black and white of it....

Aye my day is grand pal thanks for being so caring x

Yeah I said that.... it's not all his fault, literally in my post....

He is in part to blame as he missed the game because of suspension...

Folks say loads of shit about loads of players, good, bad indifferent

It is just people thinking things... surely people sort of sign up to that when they join a forum, pick up a pape etc.
When you’re having to defend your right to give terrible opinions, then it’s kinda telling it’s own story.

Andy's opinion is more in line with what you hear from Bears regarding Morelos on the supporters bus, in work, talking rangers with mates and family etc. Certainly in my experience anyway.

There's a cult amongst the online support who can't see any fault in anything he does but it doesn't manifest itself in the overall wider support in my experience. It's just a small portion of hardcore online fans.

You can think Morelos is shit hot but also think he's a liability as well.

We all knew the responses that this would get.
The Rangers das who think ex-players should lie when asked for their opinion are downright the worst.

So whats your view then, hes rubbish, cannae behave should be sold and that we should just accept the fact top refs target the players, all of the players ?

You say you cant criticise him but plenty of posts do.
Terrific player, excellent goalscorer, unable to control his temper, so gets targeted by opposition. I genuinely worry, especially in big games, that he'll do something stupid. How anybody can't blame him for his red cards v Celtic, Ufa and Aberdeen (4 2 game) is beyond me. I wonder what the mood on FF would have been after Ufa if we'd been eliminated and not made group stages ?

They were hardly inundated with offers for Izzaguirre so I guess big clubs didn’t have their chief scouts reading the Daily Record or Evening Times
You're missing the point. If you genuinely don't believe there is a concerted effort by their poodles in the press to drive up their players value then that's fine. But tell me, do you think they pull these figures out of their arse? They were touting Rogic for over £10m ffs. If the press up here are to believed the value of their squad is about £200m. It's PR fluff.

Players reputations are enhanced or diminished by opinions expressed by fans and, more importantly, the media. I see lots of post suggesting publicity and reputation count for nothing in determining player value but not one scrap of evidence to support this wildly improbable suggestion.

What I find most remarkable is the fact that many of his critics will be shareholders. We must be the only business in the country whose shareholders actively downplay the value of our product.

He wouldn’t have been missing these games if he hadn’t got involved.
He can only be “judged to a different standard” if he gives the officials a decision to make, which he often does. Tell me which of his red cards weren’t sending off offences?

I wont waste my time, given he has had red cards rescinded that should help with that question, Aberdeen twice for example, red card against UFA was a joke. Deserved it against them as he walked into their trap, again though so many examples of the guy he got involved with running about elbowing players etc without a red, different standards I suppose...

If you genuinely think he is treated same way as every other player no matter how he reacts, then thats fine

Remember Defoes clash with Aberdeen keeper at end of last season, genuine question, do you think Morelos wouldn't have been sent off for that??

Stop greeting when an ex player doesn’t blow smoke up our arses!
He’s gave an honest assessment and he isn’t wrong either. You’ve all said it on here yourselves.

I think if he was being totally honest though he would mention refs cheating.

Dont mind his comments hes a big Rangers fan and wants the club to be successful but i dont think you should have a go at alfie if you aint going to speak about fired up match officials.

So Gerard’s to blame??

Alfie is class but isn’t blameless that’s for sure you must agree that his stupid reds and booking cost us

You really don’t think positive hype raises value in a player, and negative coverage doesn’t?

Honestly?

No

Clubs have a budget and they will determine what they are willing to pay for a player.
If they think Celtic are asking for silly money they won’t pay it.
They have sold a few like Armstrong, Van Dyk and Wanyama who have then been sold again for big fees.
So they have a rep of being good value for English clubs, that is why they are able to ask for 20m + for Tierney.
The numpties in the media up here saying 40 or 50 wouldn’t even be read by the buying clubs

No

Clubs have a budget and they will determine what they are willing to pay for a player.
If they think Celtic are asking for silly money they won’t pay it.
They have sold a few like Armstrong, Van Dyk and Wanyama who have then been sold again for big fees.
So they have a rep of being good value for English clubs, that is why they are able to ask for 20m + for Tierney.
The numpties in the media up here saying 40 or 50 wouldn’t even be read by the buying clubs
Right, but why do they say he's worth £40m? Think it's for a laugh?

So Gerard’s to blame??

Alfie is class but isn’t blameless that’s for sure you must agree that his stupid reds and booking cost us
I’m not going to have a go at Morelos for getting that yellow against Ayr United, but feel free to tell me why you thought it was justified.

And it’s absolutely Gerrard and Allen’s fault that we could only play one striker in the League Cup. Lafferty wasn’t able to play and Sadiq should never have worn a Rangers shirt. We should never have been in that position.

With regards to the League, Morelos’s contribution far outweighs any negatives that came from his red cards. He contributed more than any other player. You want to point fingers, then point them at the players who weren’t able to contribute to the same level.

One thing thats pretty clear is hes best moved on

When your own support cant trust you then there is no point, on a serious note I would take £10m and move him on

Hes done in this country now with refs media and sadly large elements of his own support

They started a campaign against a guy who hadn't been booked before coming here, hes a threat to them

Theyve won

Morelos let us down twice last season, Aberdeen at home with the daft flick out at Shinnie to get a 2nd yellow and Celtic at The Chamber of Secrets.

The rest were debatable at best.

He is 100% ref'd differently, but not even just that, every time he even breathes towards an opposing player the fans are all over him trying to influence the ref, its constant. He hasn't got a chance when every fan is off their feet every time he does anything. I feel for him as it must be f*ckin frustrating trying to play football but you can't move without thousands of fans screaming at the ref who in-turn is more than happy to send you off and then have the media all over you afterwards.

F*ck them, ill defend him to the hilt against that lot.

You're missing the point. If you genuinely don't believe there is a concerted effort by their poodles in the press to drive up their players value then that's fine. But tell me, do you think they pull these figures out of their arse? They were touting Rogic for over £10m ffs. If the press up here are to believed the value of their squad is about £200m. It's PR fluff.

Did they get a massive fee for Izzageire (spelling:D)?
Has Rogic went for over 10 million?

No , because a buying club will pay what they think a player is worth, not what our media think he is worth.

One thing thats pretty clear is hes best moved on

When your own support cant trust you then there is no point, on a serious note I would take £10m and move him on

Hes done in this country now with refs media and sadly large elements of his own support

They started a campaign against a guy who hadn't been booked before coming here, hes a threat to them

Theyve won

F*ck off ya blouse.

Are you being sarcastic?

The manager should be able to trust his main striker not to pick up a silly booking for mouthing off at a ref in a game against part timers that we comfortably leathered

Think someone should have a wee word in his ear we re trying to get as much for him as possible this just doesn’t help Andy.
And his talent will always shine through he will do the business where and whenever he goes!!

Did they get a massive fee for Izzageire (spelling:D)?
Has Rogic went for over 10 million?

No , because a buying club will pay what they think a player is worth, not what our media think he is worth.
You're missing the point too. I'm saying the media up here try to get them as much money as possible. It's a concerted PR effort. It really isn't that difficult to grasp.

The manager should be able to trust his main striker not to pick up a silly booking for mouthing off at a ref in a game against part timers that we comfortably leathered
The manager should also have a backup player that can start that game so our main striker didn’t even have to play it.

Morelos played 48 games last season. That’s too many, because we weren’t able to rest him, because we didn’t have a decent second striker for half the season.

Andy's opinion is more in line with what you hear from Bears regarding Morelos on the supporters bus, in work, talking rangers with mates and family etc. Certainly in my experience anyway.

There's a cult amongst the online support who can't see any fault in anything he does but it doesn't manifest itself in the overall wider support in my experience. It's just a small portion of hardcore online fans.

You can think Morelos is shit hot but also think he's a liability as well.

I don’t think there’s one person on here, away from here or anywhere that doesn’t see he has faults.

There is no cult.

I’d argue the opposite, there’s a bunch of folk on here who go on and on and on about these faults, most of them are on this thread already.

It's absolutely nuts to think that people don't understand the Scottish media hype up their players in order to create a perception around them. Remember they were touting Izzaguire for £20m ffs?!
And Boruc for £10mllion.
And Juarez to Arsenal.
And McCourt to Liverpool.
And Boyata for £50million.
And Forest for £20million.
And Kayal to Man Utd.
etc etc etc etc

How did they all work out? Same as the Izzaguire one. Nothing.

It's almost like the Daily Record isn't setting the agenda for transfers and transfer fees for English clubs.

I agree with you regarding that lot

It doesn’t mean clubs will bid those amounts for those players though

I also think some of our own ex players are gobshites and sook mentally challenged cock in the media when they slag our own players off

But this piece isn’t one of those. It is on the money IMO

They have a compliant media up here that is why.

That doesn’t mean the buying club will think that is what we will offer.

However continued good press, positive PR plays a part in creating hype around players, and negative press does the opposite.

The media influence all walks of life, are we really pretending they play no part in football?

They have a compliant media up here that is why.

That doesn’t mean the buying club will think that is what we will offer.
Bingo. That was my only point. So, if they are under orders to over inflate the value of their players, what would that suggest?

You're missing the point too. I'm saying the media up here try to get them as much money as possible. It's a concerted PR effort. It really isn't that difficult to grasp.

You honestly don’t think buying clubs know that?

They have spoke about mental fees for other plays like Rogic etc, but no club has went anywhere near them.
As I said a club will pay what they think a player is worth and not what our media say.
Do you think when we buy a player the club pay what the media think the value is or what we as a club think the player is worth?

I’m not going to have a go at Morelos for getting that yellow against Ayr United, but feel free to tell me why you thought it was justified.

And it’s absolutely Gerrard and Allen’s fault that we could only play one striker in the League Cup. Lafferty wasn’t able to play and Sadiq should never have worn a Rangers shirt. We should never have been in that position.

With regards to the League, Morelos’s contribution far outweighs any negatives that came from his red cards. He contributed more than any other player. You want to point fingers, then point them at the players who weren’t able to contribute to the same level.

But you have to look at negatives as well - he’s yet to score in an old firm. The red against the scum was plane fucking stupid as well as the red cards against Aberdeen

Terrific player, excellent goalscorer, unable to control his temper, so gets targeted by opposition. I genuinely worry, especially in big games, that he'll do something stupid. How anybody can't blame him for his red cards v Celtic, Ufa and Aberdeen (4 2 game) is beyond me. I wonder what the mood on FF would have been after Ufa if we'd been eliminated and not made group stages ?

True it is a risk, to answer the question would have defended him cos the ref was at it he was behaving like some of the scottish officials :)

There’s an amazing amount of people still not willing to hold Morelos to account for his actions against Ufa, Aberdeen and Celtic.

I’d rather he scored slightly less goals a season but with 4/5 big ones in cup semi finals or finals, or away at the papes when there’s just a point or two between us, or when we need a point or three in the last game of the Europa group to progress.

Not sure you get my point!

Being deadly serious, he has no chance of changing up here

If he moved I would guarantee he wont be sent off 4 x in a season and end up with the multiple bookings he had last season

He is wasting his time being in this country, he cant get a fair crack of the whip up here

Even so we shouldn't be taking a lesser fee. He literally carried us for the majority of the season last season and was unplayable at times.

I think some people have forgotten how important he was to us due to playing well without him for a handful of games at the end of the season.

Back