Andy Gray - “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games"

Morelos let us down in one game last season. The red cards at Aberdeen and Ufa were a joke.

I've yet to see a red card similar to what he got in Russia, the first at Pittodrie was rescinded and the one with McKenna wasn't a red.

Morelos may not have scored against the bheggars but he's battered and bullied them and has also delivered in the bigger games.

Any one who says otherwise is at it.

He's entitled to his opinion but if he cares about the club then he should stick to the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" mantra.

That interview does the club no favours, whether his views are close to the truth or not. And some of those statements are ignorant.

4 goals in the Europa League last season (should've been 5) and multiple goals against the other sides in the top 6. Plus he ragdolled the scum in the new year game at Ibrox. They might not be able to get their heads around it, but scoring against them isn't the be all and end all.

With respect, if you’re still saying that then I’m not sure we really do agree. If Tierney is a long term crock, then his transfer fee will reflect it because of due diligence, not Tom Boyd being interviewed on Radio Clyde!

Gray has given his opinion (which I happen to agree with) and I contend it won’t make one iota of difference to the fee.

I think we tend to forget about the audience that Celtic spin machine is targeted at. Their fans and other Scottish clubs namely us. An objective might be to create an atmosphere which inflates a player’s value but the primary reason is to make the fans feel they are top dogs, managing the club impeccably, turning water into wine, and for us to feel intimidated.

It’s what the Nazis did. Riefenstahl’s propaganda films were to intimidate opponents about their vast mechanised army. In truth they started the war with far more horses than tanks. The objective was to undermine resistance so they could roll over countries without their weakness ever being tested and exposed.

I’m not arguing that the media’s evaluation of players is intended to influence their fee - actually, I do believe that they believe it will, but I’ve long argued the absurdity of that for the reasons you also state, so on that I think we are in agreement - it’s more to do with the general media negativity towards the club and Morelos in particular and conversely the lack of balance where Celtic’s prime assets are concerned.

This is an area where I do feel Rangers minded pundits can help readdress the imbalance, but time after time they blindly play the part of the stooge they’ve been targeted to be.

This is it in a nutshell.

I’d rather have honest opinions from bears in the press rather than the embarrassing happy clapping you get from that other lots media cheerleaders like Tom Boyd etc.

Fair enough i always liked that about the fanzine i totally agree with you but if andy wants to speak about discipline i dont see how you can do that without bringing the incredible level of bias in refereeing into it. You cannot ignore it.

Andy, and just about every ex player/manager, will know there is 2 issues here, a player thats easy to wind up and does daft stuff but also refs that are fired up to cause us problems. Lets tell the whole story and help the manager/player/club.

We won nothing last year because the team as a whole didn't perform in the big games.

I have noticed a repeating trend in football that suggests strikers often don't score when playing in games their team loses. I wonder how often Andy Gray scored in games his team lost? I suspect the percentage of those games where he did would be low. Did that make him 'unreliable' or just a striker in a team that didn't win those games? If I recall correctly Morelos was the top scorer in the country last year a stat that suggests he was actually he MOST reliable striker playing in Scotland.

I’m not arguing that the media’s evaluation of players is intended to influence their fee - actually, I do believe that they believe it will, but I’ve long argued the absurdity of that for the reasons you also state, so on that I think we are in agreement - it’s more to do with the general media negativity towards the club and Morelos in particular and conversely the lack of balance where Celtic’s prime assets are concerned.

This is an area where I do feel Rangers minded pundits can help readdress the imbalance, but time after time they blindly play the part of the stooge they’ve been targeted to be.

To be fair, we do agree about the agenda against Morelos but - and this has been done to death - one of the biggest propagators of that agenda was the boy himself. Gray says Gerrard will clamp down on him this year if he stays, again I think that’s essentially a continuation of what Gerrard has said himself.

The media in Scotland is bought and paid for to a large extent but let’s not forget it wasn’t Hellicom who made Alfie act like a dick on more than one occasion last season.

The most obvious comparison is Broonaldo but - taking the Bear specs off for a sec - there was actually a fair bit of focus on Brown’s antics last year. The difference is he’s Scottish, and Celtic Captain so the admonishment is definitely more forgiving

Andy Gray's points

• Morelos is unreliable time after time in big games
• Never scored against selic
• Dosent look like he'll learn from his mistakes

Maybe im missing something but i canny see anywhere on that article where Andy Gray is wrong.
One of the few media bears that will back us up and fight our corner till the day is done yet if mr A N Other on the message boards dosent agree so he's now 'one of them' or a 'media bas***d'
Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Well he's got a point.

If Alfie stays he MUST improve his discipline.

Regardless of how many reds were legit he is too easily provoked, and i still have my doubts if he can change his fiery temper.

Morelos let us down in one game last season. The red cards at Aberdeen and Ufa were a joke.

I've yet to see a red card similar to what he got in Russia, the first at Pittodrie was rescinded and the one with McKenna wasn't a red.

Morelos may not have scored against the bheggars but he's battered and bullied them and has also delivered in the bigger games.

Any one who says otherwise is at it.

Aberdeen at home was another time, I think it was the Scottish Cup game.

He needs to screw the nut, of course, but the narrative around him is way OTT.

Well he's got a point.

If Alfie stays he MUST improve his discipline.

Regardless of how many reds were legit he is too easily provoked, and i still have my doubts if he can change his fiery temper.

If he gets red carded unfairly that can't simply be dismissed. It demonstrates that refs are not applying a consistent standard when it comes to Morelos and that is something the club has to be more aggressive/vocal about. Yes Alfie needs to curb his petulance but that will come as he matures. We have a top prospect on our books and no matter what some are attempting to suggest reputations contribute to valuations. Constantly talking him down can only help our enemies.

Aberdeen at home was another time, I think it was the Scottish Cup game.

He needs to screw the nut, of course, but the narrative around him is way OTT.
Clancy booking him for a "dive" so he missed the semi against the filth if we'd won was the biggest act of cheating all season. We all went to Ibrox that night fully aware he was booking him at the earliest opportunity. These cheating bastards are my biggest concern next season. By far.

Unfortunately a lot of what Andy says is true.

He HAS let us down in big games and clearly that has been noticed down south.

Fredo has bags of ability and if he can sort out his petulant behaviour and get his discipline in order, then this could be the season that sees him go to the next level.

The balls in your court Alfredo.

Clancy booking him for a "dive" so he missed the semi against the filth if we'd won was the biggest act of cheating all season. We all went to Ibrox that night fully aware he was booking him at the earliest opportunity. These cheating bastards are my biggest concern next season. By far.

It was Madden.:)

Andy Gray has spent the last year monitoring Steven Gerrard’s Rangers revival from more than 4500 miles away.

So he probably didn’t need to be at Ibrox in person on Sunday to identify the biggest single problem lurking inside the Scouser’s dressing room.

But what Gray saw during a 
surprisingly one-sided romp over Marseille merely convinced him of what he has suspected all of this time.

That the conundrum that is Alfredo Morelos may well be more bother than he’s worth.

The highly valued, yet notoriously combustible Colombian lasted 45 minutes of his side’s pre-season win at the weekend, failing to hit the target but getting himself involved in a minor feud with man-marker Luis Gustavo nonetheless before being replaced by Jermain Defoe at half-time.

Gray has seen it all before, although usually from the comfort of a TV studio somewhere in Doha

And now, with Crystal Palace and West Ham believed to be showing tentative interest in the prolific South American, pretty soon Gerrard may have a multi-million pound decision on his hands. Or at least Gray certainly appears to hope so.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport yesterday the veteran pundit and Rangers diehard said: “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games. He’s not done enough against the likes of Celtic – he hasn’t even scored against them yet.

“So I’m not a big fan at all but I do understand Steven has got a guy here who scored more than 30 goals last season.

“If it was as simple as replacing him with another guy who will score 30 plus next season then I’d definitely get rid. If someone comes in for him with £15m then Rangers would be foolish not to sell him and try to use the money to bring in that replacement.

“Or, if you could tell me Jermain is going to be fit for the whole season, I would say, ‘Sell Morelos, get the money in and make the group better’.

“But you have to remember there’s 30 goals to replace if he’s sold and it’s Steven’s job to balance that. If he feels he can get those goals from other areas then he’ll be tempted to sell.

“Put it this way, when Morelos was suspended at the end of last season he wasn’t missed that much. It was good for the other boys not to have to be so reliant on him.

“Yes, he does well but if he’s going to cost us as much as he gives us then it leaves Steven with a big decision to make. If nobody wants to pay the money then fine. He’ll have to contribute this season and hopefully he’ll have learned from his mistakes but I’m not so sure.

“Steven has to balance it up and as a manager he can’t make his decisions based on emotion. As a player you live half your life on emotions.

“But as a coach you need to make more rational decisions.

“If it was me being all emotional I’d punt him tomorrow and say, ‘Thanks very much, see you later’.

“But that might not be the best solution for Rangers right now. Stevie has to do what’s right for Rangers.

“I’ve played under coaches who didn’t like certain guys inside the dressing room but they still played them because they were important to the team. So you have to put personal feelings to one side.

“But Steven would admit he let him off a little too lightly last year. If Morelos stays and he still gives the manager problems again then I would expect Steven to really clamp down on him. Big time.”

But while Morelos remains the one major unresolved issue on Gerrard’s summer to do list, Gray believes 
the manager is fairly motoring through the rest of the remedial work left over from his first season in the Ibrox hotseat.

Gerrard undeniably dragged Rangers closer to Celtic in his first campaign. But losing the title by nine points was still not quite close enough for Gray’s liking.

However, he left Govan at the weekend with a spring in his step

Gray went on: “I was very pleased with what I saw. I had phoned Gary McAllister and told him I was coming up so he sorted me out with tickets and then after the match I went to see Steven and have a chat with him.

“I thought we looked very good. They played some of the new boys I hadn’t seen before and I was impressed 
by all of them. I thought it was a solid performance. Defensively we looked alright, although we were never troubled by Marseille who
were awful.

“I don’t think Steven will be
fooled by what was a comfortable victory – it could have been seven or eight – but I expected a lot more from Marseille. They looked like they are about 10 days behind us pre-season training wise.

“But that apart, Rangers kept the ball well, they used it well. We didn’t over pass it either. When we had the chance to get forward and release people we did.

“The second goal was typical of that with a great ball from Ryan Jack and a terrific finish from Daniel Candeias. That was really good football and there was quite a lot of examples of it during the match

“As I say I’m not a Morelos fan and he didn’t do much in the first half to change my opinion.

“Defoe looked much more dangerous when he came on – he’s a predator inside the six-yard box as he showed at his goal. Rangers look better when he is in the team.

“Ojo came on and showed what he can do in flashes. The kid Aribo in midfield looks like a good player, comfortable on the ball.

“And the centre-back, George Edmundson, settled in quite nicely next to Connor Goldson even though he wasn’t up against anything.

“With the new centre-back from Bologna to come in I think we are very well covered, especially when you consider Scott Arfield and one or two others are still to come into the side.

“We are in a much better place than this time last year. Much better.
Find it hard to disagree with any of that, Andy speaking as a supporter not a pundit.

Gray's all over the papers this morning talking us up and saying how good we look and praising the new signings.

He lavishes praise on us for years and is one of the few in the media who is emphatic and doesn't apologise for how much of a bear he is.

Some folk just won't countenance any criticism of Morelos - a guy who btw has said numerous times he wants to go and play elsewhere.

Morelos is a fantastic talent, if he wants to stay and cut out the nonsense I'll be delighted but there's really nothing wrong with what Gray is pointing out here.

No one player is bigger than the club.

Perfectly put UA.

There are a section of our support who fail to see or acknowledge that Morelos has weaknesses, and if any one points them out then the good old line of who needs enemies gets trotted out.

Yes. Morelos is a very good player and has plenty to his game and it will be interesting to see how far he goes in the game. To score 30 goals in a season in any league is outstanding but facts are facts and with Morelos these are:

He gives referees decisions to make because he can’t control his temper, (usually in big games). This probably was the sole reason he wasn’t at the Copa America.

He hasn’t scored against that mob in how many games now? Again some supporters are happy to brush this off but considering the clear opportunities he’s had, then for me this is a worry.

Already Andy Gray is getting slaughtered when all he has done is give his opinion, and tbh I don’t see how anyone can argue against what he has said.

Morelos needs to wise up and cut out the nonsense but let's not pretend there wasn't a witch hunt against him last season.

I'm also convinced there was at least one referee with a personal axe to grind.

The media in Scotland often drive the narrative and set the tone , he doesn't help himself at times but that shouldn't be forgotten .

There is absolutely nothing wrong with him comments imo. They all seem fair and valid points. Just the usual Scottish media trying to put a negative slant on it.

He calls rangers "us", he goes on about Morelos ability in front of goals, he talks of his 30 goals last season, he talks about his temperament and he says he's a manager's tough decisions around him. He then talks up the team and set up and the club. Don't see much wrong in this. Would we prefer the tim approach we slag on here of inflated transfers and propaganda?
All I asked is Constructive Criticism if there there has to been any and if I am being honest he has done a McCoist ie anything for money.

You’d never get an ex-Celtic player coming out with this stuff about one of their assets, they’re all on message.

Ours are worse than a man short at this stuff.

In fairness tags, we decry their sycophantic claims in the press. Just like the members of this forum, as Rangers fans we disagree on the colour of the grass.

The more ex punters who go on and put negativity in the mainstream media, the the bigger the chance of the players value continuing to drop. I think even ex scum know, some present players are pretty pish, they still big them up to maximim effect. We haven't sussed it out yet

If you come from a protestant/non-denominational upbringing, the chances are you will be free-thinking with an understanding that you can have independent thought.
If you come from an RC upbringing you have it drummed into you from an early age that your first loyalty is to that sect and church and that there is guilt attached to independent thought. In Scotland that attitude extends to a certain Glasgow football club, no matter what. That's also the reason we are talking about historical coverups now.

Andy must realise that any criticism of Morelos on FF is not allowed. Fair enough, he's never scored against Celtic, but so what ? Sent off 5 times last season, but does Andy not realise refs pick on him ? Not picked for Columbia but what do they know ? Very low transfer bids but that's because Liewell is telling them to bid low, did you know that Andy ?
Ex Celts heap praise on Celtic players and we criticise them for it then moan at ex Rangers for not heaping praise on Rangers players .

In fairness tags, we decry their sycophantic claims in the press. Just like the members of this forum, as Rangers fans we disagree on the colour of the grass.

Their sycophantic claims helps build value and hype round their players.

They’re currently looking at getting the guts of 25 million for a guy that just missed almost an entire season, part of that is due to their media pals, players and pundits bigging him up constantly and saying he’s worth far more than he is.

Whereas we have ex-players and pundits lining up to tell folk our best striker in decades isn’t up to much really.

They’d be better keeping their views to themselves to be honest.

I got as far as 1/2 time on Sunday.

Deary, deary me. That is pathetic.

No mention of Morelos playing in Candeias for the 1st goal either.

I am saying that more the way it has been written than Gray's actual quotes.

Last edited:
Perhaps if Gray and the record offered a bit of context, but then given who pulls the strings at the record the negative emphasis on our prize asset is hardly surprising.

Alfie is not a hot head or a liability, he is a talented young striker who has been vilified and demonised pretty much for being a talented young striker who could net Rangers a very sizeable fee.

If Gray and the Record want context this is a young man who left his home in Colombia to play in Finland where he was the model of discipline and professionalism. He then comes to Scotland to play for Rangers Fc and becomes a target for Scottish footballs thugs, hammer throwers and thereafter the victim of entirely cowardly, complicit referees and officials who offer him zero protection in the face of what is a weekly baying mob elbowing him or running their studs down his Achilles.

The compliant media, who are cowards and mostly bought and paid for by or supporters of Celtc, or indeed both vilify Alfie setting him up as some kind of evil foreign devil. Most of the coverage of Alfie was overwrought, emotional and delivered in the manner of a baying mob with pitchforks at the ready.

Hell it was so effective that some of our support and indeed our manager think it’s Alfie’s fault. For me the incident at the glitterdome where Brown rakes his studs down Alfie’s Achilles and Alfie shoves him chest high in an effort to shrug him off is a booking and stern talking to for Brown and a word in Alfie’s ear about the shove.

The fact that Alfie got sent off and Brown was cast in the role of savvy aggressor tells you everything you need to know about the corrupt nature of Scottish football. If you want to highlight a player at Ibrox who’s unprovoked Ill discipline has let us down in big games then I am happy for the media to highlight McGregor. (No circa £20m transfer value there)

Alfie is a brilliant young talent who has been harshly treated by Scotland’s football authorities and media. Further he constitutes a rather attractive saleable asset which has the potential to bring us the much needed financial clout to outstrip shame fc...This and this alone is why Alfie is being vilified and for me our managers open criticism of Alfie and perhaps dropping Katic for Worral have been his only real missteps thus far.

Gray's all over the papers this morning talking us up and saying how good we look and praising the new signings.

He lavishes praise on us for years and is one of the few in the media who is emphatic and doesn't apologise for how much of a bear he is.

Some folk just won't countenance any criticism of Morelos - a guy who btw has said numerous times he wants to go and play elsewhere.

Morelos is a fantastic talent, if he wants to stay and cut out the nonsense I'll be delighted but there's really nothing wrong with what Gray is pointing out here.

No one player is bigger than the club.
Correct is only stating the facts and giving his own opinion on Moreos, even after the game at the piggery a lot of posters on here said he was a liability because of his temprement.

We cannot slag andy gray for speaking his mind when half of this board think the exact same as him.

The more ex punters who go on and put negativity in the mainstream media, the the bigger the chance of the players value continuing to drop. I think even ex scum know, some present players are pretty pish, they still big them up to maximim effect. We haven't sussed it out yet
TLB said publicly that Tierney was injured and that doesn't seem to have stopped Arsenal upping their offer for him so I don't see how Andy Gray giving an interview in the Daily Record is going to affect the valuation of Morelos.

Between two stools on this one.

He’s not as bad as made out but I’d be fibbing if I said I go into big games 100% confident that he’s going to last the full 90 every single time.

As has been said, if we get £15m and replace him with another 30 goal striker who can be trusted more then I’m all for it.

Andy must realise that any criticism of Morelos on FF is not allowed. Fair enough, he's never scored against Celtic, but so what ? Sent off 5 times last season, but does Andy not realise refs pick on him ? Not picked for Columbia but what do they know ? Very low transfer bids but that's because Liewell is telling them to bid low, did you know that Andy ?
Ex Celts heap praise on Celtic players and we criticise them for it then moan at ex Rangers for not heaping praise on Rangers players .

We complain about them talking up the value of their players and we moan that we don't seem to realise the same sort of valuations when we sell. I would have thought there are obvious lessons in this.

They’re currently looking at getting the guts of 25 million for a guy that just missed almost an entire season, part of that is due to their media pals, players and pundits bigging him up constantly and saying he’s worth far more than he is.

Whereas we have ex-players and pundits lining up to tell folk our best striker in decades isn’t up to much really.

And do you think Arsenal, with a unparalleled scouting network and extensive recruitment policy at the cutting edge of sports science, is going to pay over the odds to sign a player that they suspect isn't going to play many games?

You've also undermined your argument by exaggerating yourself. Morelos our best striker in decades? As in, more than ten years? That's a staggering claim.

Do you honestly think that because Sutton or Hartson say Tierney is worth £30-40m then interested clubs are going to go on what they say? Do you not think it’s more a case of Lawwell playing hardball and playing the game right by putting a bigger valuation on players in proportion to the money being splashed about in the EPL?

I agree with most of what Andy Gray says.

However he isn’t here watching all of our games and hasn’t seen the standard of refereeing we experience.
Morelos isn’t clever enough when on the end of terrible challenges. He on a lot of occasions reacts to it and gets caught. So he develops a reputation and now refs on many occasions will punish him even though not at fault all of the time.
He is also guilty of feigning injury at times after an incident which makes refs think when he does get a poor challenge he is diving.
His suspensions were a result of poor refereeing and his poor self control. This probably cost us a number of points last season.

So Andy’s criticism is valid although it should be qualified a little to take into account our shit refs.

So whats your view then, hes rubbish, cannae behave should be sold and that we should just accept the fact top refs target the players, all of the players ?

You say you cant criticise him but plenty of posts do.

If we beat celtic i couldn't give a shiney shit who scores against them! People think its the be all and end all. Morelos scored a borrowload of goals last season, ran teams ragged and was top goalscorer. He's by far the best striker in the league.

He's just telling it like it is.

Putting pressure on Alfie to behave is no bad thing.

But it's also lowering his value whilst across the city we have their cheerleaders touting a crocked left back for £40M.

People will say that these types of articles have no impact on value, but when we've got relentless pressure in the media and ex-players joining in the criticism then it will.

As for putting pressure on Alfie to behave, I don't think for a second that Alfie gives a %^*& what AG thinks, especially when he's saying things like that about him in the media.

Do you honestly think that because Sutton or Hartson say Tierney is worth £30-40m then interested clubs are going to go on what they say? Do you not think it’s more a case of Lawwell playing hardball and playing the game right by putting a bigger valuation on players in proportion to the money being splashed about in the EPL?
The simple fact is that they are more likely to secure a big fee by vocalising a high valuation than they would get by suggesting he is overvalued because he's constantly injured (or has an unreliable temperament).

If you read all of the quotes and the detail he goes into, it’s actually very fair and he speaks a lot of sense. Also speaks like someone who, despite watching from afar, is actually aware and up-to-date with what is going on at the club and not out of touch.

Gray answered a question that was put to him, I assume. I don’t think he should lie and I don’t think no comment would be a sensible reply.

Arsenal aren’t offering a fee because the press bummed up a player. They are offering a fee because they think he is worth that AND the club they are dealing with is cash positive just now, celtc don’t need to sell and Arsenal have to make it worth their while to do so.

If they ask for too much Arsenal will walk, a big factor in them knocking back the large fee is probably that they have concerns Tierney will fail the medical and highlight his problem, by knocking it back they buy more time and continue to portray themselves as an unwilling seller.

We need offers to come for players that we can rescind to assure the marketplace were not sale dependant and we need to start the process of turning over our high value players at the right time to start some real investment across the team.

On balance I think I prefer our ex players to be men with standards and individual opinions than pathetic mouthpieces for some tinpot tyrant like Liewell.

Gray’s comments are statements of the obvious about Morelos and pretty much what any bear over 25 concluded after the Old Firm games.

The buying club - I hope there is one - wouldn’t change their mind based on a few nice words from Bob Malcom in the Evening Times. Not when they have scouts and videos
As much as you have a point you've nailed it at the bottom.
Scouting is so advanced now a days all positive and negative news feeds will be taken into account.
Do the selling club rate a player.
Is he a troublemaker.
Is he a valuable asset.
What they supposedly rate him at, what others believe he'd be sold for.
It will all be analysed.

Reading from 100 sources that Celtic won't sell Tierney for less than 40 million will have influence and reading from 50 sources that we'd be happy to get rid for 6 to 10 million isn't going to do us any favours.

Back