Andy Gray - “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games"

However continued good press, positive PR plays a part in creating hype around players, and negative press does the opposite.

The media influence all walks of life, are we really pretending they play no part in football?

No the positive PR is from them selling players as mentioned who have went on to be sold for massive fees.
They have built a rep of selling players who have done well in England and sold for massive fees.

I don’t think I’d enjoy anything more than Morelos scoring the winner at Ibrox against them.

Niether and he would’ve had a chance if he didn’t get a stupid fucking sending off. Can’t really disagree with parts of what he has said tbh

I think if he was being totally honest though he would mention refs cheating.

Dont mind his comments hes a big Rangers fan and wants the club to be successful but i dont think you should have a go at alfie if you aint going to speak about fired up match officials.

As I said to someone else though, he wouldn’t get sent off if he didn’t kick, elbow etc
He begs to be sent off in some matches with his stupidity. What red cards do you disagree with?

I agree with you regarding that lot

It doesn’t mean clubs will bid those amounts for those players though

I also think some of our own ex players are gobshites and sook mentally challenged cock in the media when they slag our own players off

But this piece isn’t one of those. It is on the money IMO
I agree. However, they try to create the perception around their players that they are high value. When they fail to qualify for the CL, McGregor will be next in line to be touted down south. Watch all the PR fluff that follows.

Stevie G is very astute. He has been working on Morelos' attitude while preserving his desire to win. Other players have a good mental attitude but need to work on their technical skills. Our manager is not stupid.

I wont waste my time, given he has had red cards rescinded that should help with that question, Aberdeen twice for example, red card against UFA was a joke. Deserved it against them as he walked into their trap, again though so many examples of the guy he got involved with running about elbowing players etc without a red, different standards I suppose...

If you genuinely think he is treated same way as every other player no matter how he reacts, then thats fine

Remember Defoes clash with Aberdeen keeper at end of last season, genuine question, do you think Morelos wouldn't have been sent off for that??
He’s had reds rescinded, why not all of them then? If you’re so worked up about Grays assessment then at least spend the time to tell me why, out of the ones not rescinded which were wrongful reds?

The Defoe incident, no I don’t reckon anyone would’ve been sent off for it.

Bingo. That was my only point. So, if they are under orders to over inflate the value of their players, what would that suggest?

It doesn’t matter though to any buying club that is my point. There are loads of them they had inflated values of that they never got (listed above) as the buying clubs though %^*& that.

But you have to look at negatives as well - he’s yet to score in an old firm. The red against the scum was plane fucking stupid as well as the red cards against Aberdeen
Not scoring in an Old Firm means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. It matters to fans but does not affect the outcome of a league. And for half of his Old Firms, he was playing in a joke of a side that couldn’t get near them.

Red card at Parkhead yeah, it was stupid. But it’s one red card. It doesn’t wipe out the other great things that he does.

And the reds v Aberdeen were very questionable. One was rescinded and the other should have been.

Stevie G is very astute. He has been working on Morelos' attitude while preserving his desire to win. Other players have a good mental attitude but need to work on their technical skills. Our manager is not stupid.

You do wonder though how much that red card against Celtic scunnered even the manager. He had protected him since the moment he arrived and clearly noticed his talent straight away. 2 new contracts in a season, one just prior to that game, and he still let him down.

Gerrard will 100% agree he is ref'd unfairly but the gaffer seemed genuinely annoyed, and let down, at the one against them.

Even so we shouldn't be taking a lesser fee. He literally carried us for the majority of the season last season and was unplayable at times.

I think some people have forgotten how important he was to us due to playing well without him for a handful of games at the end of the season.

I genuinely think we will sell if we get an offer around that price, whether we should or not is definitely up for debate

I love the wee man, I would want no more for him to change a bit, not much as I think he plays on the edge and that is what he is, I would also love refs to start again and ref him how they do others

Cant see it happening, I think Gerrard probably knows that as well and would rather deal at a price and bring someone else in

I think the Celtic game was a turning point for a lot of our fans on Morelos, although some of Grays comments are valid whats annoying about them is he gives no context to him being harshly treated at any point, he just follows the line of him being "a hot head". He makes him out to be a major issue in the squad

Right, but why do they say he's worth £40m? Think it's for a laugh?
Robertson is tearing up the EPL and Celtic fans think he's at that level (even though he's not).
I will repeat my previous comments about transfer fees. For the last 6 or 7 years, Celtic have been winning trophies and getting into Europe. Success helps to drive up transfer fees, and the EPL is awash with money.
When we were successful before 2012, we could get top dollar. £8m for GvB was Arsenal RECORD fee paid for any player. Cueller and Hutton for £9m each in 2008 was comparitively higher than any money Celtic got for VvD, Ki, Wanyama etc.
When we start winning trophies, our players will become bigger assets and the fees will reflect that. Truthfully, before SG arrived, who could we sell for £m''s ? Tav ? A man who's only trophy is the challenge cup ? 6 consecutive losses at Hampden ?

Not scoring in an Old Firm means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. It matters to fans but does not affect the outcome of a league. And for half of his Old Firms, he was playing in a joke of a side that couldn’t get near them.

Red card at Parkhead yeah, it was stupid. But it’s one red card. It doesn’t wipe out the other great things that he does.

And the reds v Aberdeen were very questionable. One was rescinded and the other should have been.

Of course the old firms matter not just to us fans but should matter the most to the players. Alfie should’ve been ripped apart in that dressing room after the old firm red card. Yes he carried us a lot of last season but we have to have standards. He’s being targeted by opposition players , fans and media too but not just because he’s one of us but he’s shown he will take the bait.

I don’t think there’s one person on here, away from here or anywhere that doesn’t see he has faults.

There is no cult.

I’d argue the opposite, there’s a bunch of folk on here who go on and on and on about these faults, most of them are on this thread already.

Every paragraph in that post is total nonsense mate and you know it.

Anybody who tries to have an adult discussion about Morelos' faults on here is immediately hit with the mentally challenged card, told they clearly hate the player etc. It's pathetic, schoolground nonsense.

Steven Gerrard has called him out publically on his disciplinary issues. His own teammates went f*cking through him in the Piggery dressing room at half time when he put them in the mire after 30 mins of a must win game.

Even after he came back into the team against Killie at the end of the season, he's away getting involved with their fans after scoring a goal etc. He's in Maddens face again in a friendly at the weekend.

Where's the evidence that he's ever going to change or learn?

Did Andy talk exclusively to the Rhetard? If he did it's well seen that he's miles away in Qatar and should have a word with himself. If he's been selectively quoted from other sources then it's really just business as usual from the Rhetard isn't it?

He has a point about Alfie re games against Them. But do we really need 'fans' to talk down one of our prime assets? I mean it's like these ex-players placing a value cap of £10m on Tavernier???

I think if we were trying to sell Morelos after selling a Cuellar or a Hutton then we could ask for and probably get 20m for Morelos.
The fact we haven’t sold a player of great value for years though makes clubs think he might not be worth that. His discipline is poor even though he has had sending offs and cards he didn’t deserve and it gives clubs excuses for not wanting to offer big money.
As far as him staying or going is concerned people seem to forget it might be actually him who wants to leave now.
He is under contract though and I think we should quite correctly ask for 15 million due to his work rate and goal scoring and how young he is.

Morelos continually being suspended for petulance does make him a liability. And we did play better without him when we changed our system with Defoe and Arfield just off him. But scoring 30 goals can't just be forgotten.

Of course the old firms matter not just to us fans but should matter the most to the players. Alfie should’ve been ripped apart in that dressing room after the old firm red card. Yes he carried us a lot of last season but we have to have standards. He’s being targeted by opposition players , fans and media too but not just because he’s one of us but he’s shown he will take the bait.
None of that matters when he’s your best player and he carries you for 4 months of a season.

It’s Gerrards job to either accept what he is and build around him and make contingencies for when he erupts, or sell him on and build around someone else. Diego Costa was guilty of exactly the same thing as a player, but teams were still able to be successful playing him up front.

Again, Morelos’s positives far outweigh his negatives. He’s the best striker in Scotland and one of the few match winners we have. To sell him for cut-price would be idiotic and symbolic of a team that is badly run.

There's a massive difference between a current manager of the team stating a "fact" that Tierney is injured at the moment but it hasn't stopped the Scottish media overacting in the PR dept and bigging all their players for inflated transfer fees. If you read my post again, you will see I was referring to ex employees of their club promoting players even though some are shit. On the other hand, we have the Boyds, Ferguson, Raes of this world, not slow in printing complete negativity. Amazing how they have succeeded where we have failed in the sell in market. Lennon quote doesn't even come into the debate

So the opinion of an ex-player holds more sway than the current manager? Seriously?
You say we've failed in the sellers market but we've not really been in the sellers market for quite some time now, at least with high value players. When it comes to the time we sell the likes of Morelos or Tav we'll see what kind of fee we get for them and then we can judge if we are failing or not.
Gerrard himself said last year that you won't get Rangers players on the cheap anymore and that there are new higher prices if clubs want to buy our best players.
Saying that we did make a nice profit on Windass last year

The seasons close and AG helps the media do their job against Alfie. He's helping crank the pressure up on refs to send him off.

Apparently he doesn't like the best player in Scotland and our top goalscorer. He does a lot more than score goals too, like the work of two men. He carried us in games.

Yes, thats a really positive article. Thanks for nothing Andy.

Last edited:
It surprises me that so many of our support think a number of our ex players are the problem and not the media who consistently take positive interviews and find one comment or snippet and create a negative slant.
I agree, it’s getting annoying with all these idiots who fall for tabloid headlines then direct mindless abuse to ex players who have said the opposite. “YER NO SUPER ALLY”. The mind boggles.

None of that matters when he’s your best player and he carries you for 4 months of a season.

It’s Gerrards job to either accept what he is and build around him and make contingencies for when he erupts, or sell him on and build around someone else. Diego Costa was guilty of exactly the same thing as a player, but teams were still able to be successful playing him up front.

Again, Morelos’s positives far outweigh his negatives. He’s the best striker in Scotland and one of the few match winners we have. To sell him for cut-price would be idiotic and symbolic of a team that is badly run.

I agree and obviously wouldn’t want to sell him at a cut price. His positives may put weigh his negatives but there are still some people on here that deny there is any negatives.

My only point was he did cost us in some games but as also he did win us most games in fairness. I just get annoyed when he retaliates to stupid little things and ends up costing us. But if he can sort this out of his game which I’m sure Stevie will be working on with him then he will be 10x better next year.

Have always liked Andy Gray. Brilliant player and huge Rangers man. Can't agree with him blaming Morelos for costing us 8 points. That is virtually saying Fredo lost us the league. The truth being if not for his goals we would have been even further behind. As for pundit's so called opinions not really making any difference in the grand scheme of things? The initial hounding of Morelos came from the constant rantings of scum supporter Sutton. Considering Sutton played alongside a guy who was actually a thug and set out to injure opposing players, he has a selective memory. I am thinking of Hartson here. The rest of the media happily joined in and every referee in Scotland began to treat him more harshly than any Rangers player I can remember. Perhaps that's why he reacts so quickly. He is IMO being deliberately hounded out of Rangers FC and I think he should leave for his own sake. How on earth can he enjoy playing in this environment? Articles like this from Gray certainly don't help.

I’m getting the feeling you’re just no going to accept any criticism of the guy.

If not scoring against Celtic meant winning all the silly games we drew/lost last season to ensure we got 55 then I'd take it.

I agree and obviously wouldn’t want to sell him at a cut price. His positives may put weigh his negatives but there are still some people on here that deny there is any negatives.

My only point was he did cost us in some games but as also he did win us most games in fairness. I just get annoyed when he retaliates to stupid little things and ends up costing us. But if he can sort this out of his game which I’m sure Stevie will be working on with him then he will be 10x better next year.
There are people on here suggesting we sell for £10m. We were offered £8m 18 months ago for an inferior version of Morelos. £10m is cut price and I’d have serious reservations over Allen/Gerrard if they accepted that.

No one denies he reacts to provocation - it’s evident that he does. The point is that the management know this too, and any frustration they feel over this should be directed to either stopping him reacting, or making contingency plans for when he does. You don’t go and sell your best player because of the things he can’t do. You keep him because of the things he can do.

Hard to disagree with the argument that he's unreliable in big games when he keeps doing stupid things that either get him a red card or a lucky escape from a red card.

I’m getting the feeling you’re just no going to accept any criticism of the guy.
Perfectly willing to accept criticism of him. He reacts to provocation and he can be an erratic finisher. He’s also not necessarily a naturally fit guy despite his durability and he can be selfish.

None of that changes what I said.

There are people on here suggesting we sell for £10m. We were offered £8m 18 months ago for an inferior version of Morelos. £10m is cut price and I’d have serious reservations over Allen/Gerrard if they accepted that.

No one denies he reacts to provocation - it’s evident that he does. The point is that the management know this too, and any frustration they feel over this should be directed to either stopping him reacting, or making contingency plans for when he does. You don’t go and sell your best player because of the things he can’t do. You keep him because of the things he can do.

Can’t argue with your points there in fairness :)

Completely agree. Why would we sell Morelos for £10 million. The only way we sell him now is for £20 million or so and a decent sell on %

The thing is the club don’t think he is worth 10 million and nor do the majority of the support.
If he could control his behaviour which he quite clearly is still having issues with and hadn’t missed so many games due to it , I think we could get near 20 mill.
However a club will only pay what they think he is worth and they wouldn’t give 2 fucks if our media and the club valued him at 40 million.

You also seem to think fans want him sold and gone and for low fees. That is nonsense and anyone who thinks that is an idiot. However if he wants to leave then the club has to sell him for as much as they can get.

The thing is the club don’t think he is worth 10 million and nor do the majority of the support.
If he could control his behaviour which he quite clearly is still having issues with and hadn’t missed so many games due to it , I think we could get near 20 mill.
However a club will only pay what they think he is worth and they wouldn’t give 2 fucks if our media and the club valued him at 40 million.

You also seem to think fans want him sold and gone and for low fees. That is nonsense and anyone who thinks that is an idiot. However if he wants to leave then the club has to sell him for as much as they can get.
We have posts on this thread to sell him for £10m and I’ve seen posts previously on the forum suggesting we sell for as low as £6m.

But with all due respect, what supporters think he’s worth is irrelevant. We are also notoriously bad at estimating the value of a player. Almost as bad as football clubs are.

But I’d really question anyone who wants to sell Morelos for the money being talked about in this thread. 30 goal a season strikers are as rare as rocking horse shit.

Nothing wrong with anything he says there. It'ss basically the same conversation we have on our bus home after every big game.

We have posts on this thread to sell him for £10m and I’ve seen posts previously on the forum suggesting we sell for as low as £6m.

But with all due respect, what supporters think he’s worth is irrelevant. We are also notoriously bad at estimating the value of a player. Almost as bad as football clubs are.

But I’d really question anyone who wants to sell Morelos for the money being talked about in this thread. 30 goal a season strikers are as rare as rocking horse shit.

The ones saying below 10 are idiots. Whether fans or ex players.

We won't be selling him for £10m. No chance.

He’ll not go for less than £15m, any of that chat is mental.

However, if he’d knuckled down and (frankly) grew up a bit at the start of the year and avoided those reds, he could have been at the Copa America and been netting us £20m plus.

Their sycophantic claims helps build value and hype round their players.

They’re currently looking at getting the guts of 25 million for a guy that just missed almost an entire season, part of that is due to their media pals, players and pundits bigging him up constantly and saying he’s worth far more than he is.

Whereas we have ex-players and pundits lining up to tell folk our best striker in decades isn’t up to much really.

They’d be better keeping their views to themselves to be honest.

Again though, do you really believe Arsenal will pay £25m for Tierney because of the efforts of Yahoo centric elements in the Scottish media to blow his value out of proportion?

I’d suggest they’ll only pay that if they believe firstly that his injury issues do not pose a risk to their investment, and secondly that he has the potential to be an Andy Robertson level player whose value will double or triple in a few years.

As said above, I don’t doubt that the Scottish media seek to influence players’ values, but in reality I doubt it has much of an impact.

This is a separate issue for me than ex players helping to propagate negative media portrayals of the club and its assets.

It’s a well worn agenda and the same faces fall for it time and time again.

I would have hoped after four years that we would have begun to make inroads into readdressing media bias by starting to get more positive stories into the press ourselves.

It scunners me by reading all this once again about Rangers players and there temperament especially Morelos and it has to stop, people like Gray are employees and paid to do as there told full stop,the paper who employs him tells you enough.
We have always had blue blooded players who are passionate about the club Fernando for instance but it's a learning curve and they all turn the corner and be amazing players and ambassadors for rangers.

I feel Rangers PR have a lot to answer for as right away when these stories come out they should be out protecting our players and encouraging them as (Pr means deliberately managing and spreading information)by telling the media what a player he is , his own achievements along what he is worth in the club's eyes, not two bob brain washed clowns who think of a number and double it too many time they've done this and fell well short too many times before.
They forget that most of the time Morelos is antagonsed,kicked made look the villain majority of the time with little or no protection and the PR team should be on this constantly and giving it straight back
How many times have we been hearing from all the ex middens Sutton,Hartson and the likes what there opinions are on our players we dont care.

Just keep talking up your own failures which they are good at but it all comes out in the end utter sh11t and nobody wants crocks and duds which has been proven in the past.
WATP

It scunners me by reading all this once again about Rangers players and there temperament especially Morelos and it has to stop, people like Gray are employees and paid to do as there told full stop,the paper who employs him tells you enough.
We have always had blue blooded players who are passionate about the club Fernando for instance but it's a learning curve and they all turn the corner and be amazing players and ambassadors for rangers.

I feel Rangers PR have a lot to answer for as right away when these stories come out they should be out protecting our players and encouraging them as (Pr means deliberately managing and spreading information)by telling the media what a player he is , his own achievements along what he is worth in the club's eyes, not two bob brain washed clowns who think of a number and double it too many time they've done this and fell well short too many times before.
They forget that most of the time Morelos is antagonsed,kicked made look the villain majority of the time with little or no protection and the PR team should be on this constantly and giving it straight back
How many times have we been hearing from all the ex middens Sutton,Hartson and the likes what there opinions are on our players we dont care.

Just keep talking up your own failures which they are good at but it all comes out in the end utter sh11t and nobody wants crocks and duds which has been proven in the past.
WATP

Andy Gray doesn't work for the Daily Record, he was merely giving his opinion in an interview in the Daily Record.

I wouldnt be taken in by the media up here. They still think we're in the days of liverpool,forest European cup winning teams that were heavily influenced by scottish players.
As much as these clowns bump on about Keirney,I can't see arsenal splashing out crazy money on an injury prone left back. They don't seem to be willing to go down the crazy money route. Someone would be going out the door at arsenal if they take that gamble and it fails.

I'll stay out of this shit from here on in.

I'll trust SG to do what's best for this club and I'm pertty sure that Freddo will be here for next season, break his duck agains the Filth, and play a large part in 55.

Andy Gray's points

• Morelos is unreliable time after time in big games
• Never scored against selic
• Dosent look like he'll learn from his mistakes

Maybe im missing something but i canny see anywhere on that article where Andy Gray is wrong.
One of the few media bears that will back us up and fight our corner till the day is done yet if mr A N Other on the message boards dosent agree so he's now 'one of them' or a 'media bas***d'
Unbelievable :rolleyes:
Its easier just to get raging than actually read, then digest what gray is saying.

Gray’s given a largely positive interview here but, surprise, surprise, the two elements the press are running with are ‘Morelos unreliable says ex Rangers striker ’ and ‘we’ll win the league states arrogant Gerrard’. Let’s be honest, no matter what he said it would’ve been twisted to suit.
His biggest mistake was to give an interview with a mentally challenged rag, anything Rangers will always be negative and used to create the narrative that everything about the club is bad.

The truth here is that Gray is pretty close to being 100% correct here.
I just wish I didn’t have to read it.
Fact is Gray would probably rather have a different opinion as well.
One thing that is an absolute definite is that Andy Gray is as much a Rangers supporter as any poster on here.
Really, how many games has Andy paid to see over the years?
Gray’s a fan of the club, let’s not get carried away and compare him with real supporters who actually use their hard earned cash to follow their team.

Back