Andy Gray - “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games"

Yes. Said he never said he thinks we'd win the title and be disrespectful of the opposition. Let's be honest he probably did and I hope he believes that, he obviously didn't expect Andy Gray to go running to the press with it.

You can tell by reading the comments Gray isn’t seeing the games, he’s just checking reports and seeing the same player being sent off again and again, none of the context. Which will be why he’s omitted the big bit about him being vilified and kick and studded off the ball etc etc without protection. No Rangers man would omit that detail, but he did, I don’t think he’s actually been watching us.

You can tell by reading the comments Gray isn’t seeing the games, he’s just checking reports and seeing the same player being sent off again and again, none of the context. Which will be why he’s omitted the big bit about him being vilified and kick and studded off the ball etc etc without protection. No Rangers man would omit that detail, but he did, I don’t think he’s actually been watching us.
Andy Gray not a Rangers man?
Right ye are.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport yesterday the veteran pundit and Rangers diehard said: “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games. He’s not done enough against the likes of Celtic – he hasn’t even scored against them yet."

This paragraph. The first attributed to Gray in the article is pretty much word for word what we've been hearing from EVERY mentally challenged be it media or man in the street.

It's the words they have been driving since the 28th December 2018.

The fear his goals and fear we attract a big fee for him in equal measure, and this company line is trotted out almost daily.

I like Andy Gray, he has never hidden his live of Rangers, so, if its true he said this then its bitterly dissapointing.

so should some people on this thread

I think people read the article. I did, I still don’t agree with it all and I think he’s missing some crucial detail in there too. Given he’s a Rangers fan I can only assuming he’s missing it because he hasn’t seen it.

Andy has been very fair. It's obvious which part the press would focus on.

The thing which should be asked about Morelos is what is the highest level he has proven himself at?

Who is the best team he has scored against?

he had a good showing against them when we played them at Ibrox in december but didn't get on the scoresheet. Apart from that, he hasn't really shown much against the best team in the league.

In Europe? Rapid?

Like it or not, outside of Scotland the jury is still out on him for good reason.

That suits us. I want him to stay. How many players have scored that many domestically for any team in Scotland in the last 20 years? 5 or 6?

Keep him.

He’s right of course but it would have been better kept to himself!

Big season ahead for Alfie if he wants his dream move to the EPL

You can certainly disagree with his viewpoint. That does not make it moronic though.
They absolutely were. Telling the press Stevie G's private thoughts was utterly moronic. I can't really think of any other word to describe it. I'd say naive but he's 60 odd years old and has been involved in football for decades. He knows how it works.

Alfie is off the mark already this season
Aye, FF and The Daily Record definitely dictate transfer fees, totally.... that's a thing that happens.

Aston Villa totally bought Cuellar because of what broadfootsbawsack once said on FF

Why do the mentally challengeds have every Mhedia outlet pushing Teirney a season a £30-£40m player ? What’s the point .

Yes. Said he never said he thinks we'd win the title and be disrespectful of the opposition. Let's be honest he probably did and I hope he believes that, he obviously didn't expect Andy Gray to go running to the press with it.
Did Gray say that Gerrard said Rangers would win the league?

Wouldn’t it be great if an ex Ranger in the media engaged his brain before banging on about Morelos being a liability. In fact perhaps they should watch the games properly and ask themselves;

A) how many of the five sendings off were actually sending off offences.
b) has there been a player who has received less protection from referees and consequently an unprecedented amount of goading and provocation from opponents
c) Why a Celtc dominated media might want to talk down the value of Rangers 30 goal plus a season striker.

I really feel for Alfie, some of our support, many of our ex players and an entirely bought and paid for media attack him at every turn. For what? For being kicked and elbowed all over the park whilst corrupt/cowardly (or both) turn a blind eye.

McGregor’s unprovoked kick outs have been much more worrying, supposedly mature senior player. But he’s one of our own and has no transfer value at approaching 38. Alfie’s crimes have been much less severe and precipitated by actual provocation from opponents.

Until he scores against the bheasts he has a point.His sending off at the chamber of secrets last season was me done with him.We played better without him tbh.

They absolutely were. Telling the press Stevie G's private thoughts was utterly moronic. I can't really think of any other word to describe it. I'd say naive but he's 60 odd years old and has been involved in football for decades. He knows how it works.
i was referring to his statements re Morelos.

Yeah because they will totally get that for him.....

You are saying that , what’s said in the media doesn’t have any bearing on price , then why do the mentally challengeds constantly do it ? His comments were negative and unwarranted .

Until he scores against the bheasts he has a point.His sending off at the chamber of secrets last season was me done with him.We played better without him tbh.

Why? He got assaulted and flung his arm into Lego eaters chest, should’ve been at least a booking for brown if not red for an unprovoked raking of his studs down Alfie’s leg and a word in Alfie’s ear for a flapping a straight arm into browns chest.

Alfie was harshly treated and brown was painted as a Savvy hero, a microcosm of all that is disgusting and corrupt about Scottish football.

Why? He got assaulted and flung his arm into Lego eaters chest, should’ve been at least a booking for brown if not red for an unprovoked raking of his studs down Alfie’s leg and a word in Alfie’s ear for a flapping a straight arm into browns chest.

Alfie was harshly treated and brown was painted as a Savvy hero, a microcosm of all that is disgusting and corrupt about Scottish football.

Spot on mate , so many bears just feel let down with the sending offs , and I get that , but we can’t just except one of our players being judged and treated differently on the park, just because he was our main threat . It’s ridiculous .

You are saying that , what’s said in the media doesn’t have any bearing on price , then why do the mentally challengeds constantly do it ? His comments were negative and unwarranted .

His comments are a thing he thinks.... nothing more, nothing less - this isn't some Nazi regime we live in people are allowed to think things.

The harsh reality is Celtic sold quite a few of their players for a decent fee because they are pretty talented.

The likes of Wanyama, Van Dijk went on to play in Champions League Finals.

The media didn't sell them.....

The media couldn't sell the afore mentioned Izaquire, Kayal and that Mexican guy for fortunes as scouting systems, managers etc looked at the talent of players rather than articles in Scottish News papers.

Yes. And Gerrard had to answer questions about it in his press conference. He denied saying it.

The actual quotes I've seen from Gray don't state that. It's along the lines of Gerrard and the club believe we have a title win in us and hope/think it can be this season. That's a little bit different to Gerrard saying we are going to win the title.

It's a tabloid headline people are getting carried away with that doesn't actually tell the full story.

Gerrard in his RTV interview said himself we go into every competition looking to win it but we won't be disrespectful to the competition by promising this and that. It's not actually a million miles away from what Grays quotes say.

The actual quotes I've seen from Gray don't state that. It's along the lines of Gerrard and the club believe we have a title win in us and hope/think it can be this season. That's a little bit different to Gerrard saying we are going to win the title.

It's a tabloid headline people are getting carried away with that doesn't actually tell the full story.

Gerrard in his RTV interview said himself we go into every competition looking to win it but we won't be disrespectful to the competition by promising this and that. It's not actually a million miles away from what Grays quotes say.
In his press conference he says he never spoke to Andy Gray about a title challenge and only spoke to him about Qatar as a potential base for a training camp for Rangers. He then said "I categorically deny it". Gray shouldn't be running off to the media and repeating anything that's been said to him in private by the manager.

I don’t get the notion Morelos doesn’t do it in big game. Has Scored at Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Easter Road. Not to mention 7 goals vs Kilmarnock. Was excellent vs Celtic in new Year game. Double vs Vienna in the Europa League. Goal away to Osijek and Moscow (ruled out wrongly for offside).

He scored against Maribor, Osijek and Rapid Vienna. He scored a perfectly legitimate goal against Spartak that was incorrectly ruled out.

He scored against every team he played against in Scotland last year, with the exception of the scum.

His red on opening day was rescinded. His red against Ufa was a joke. The McKenna incident was a disgrace and should absolutely have not been sent off. The one with Brown is debatable as a sending off, however not too many complaints - bear in mind it was a reaction to getting studded down the back of his leg. The red against sheep at Ibrox is indefensible.

Morelos is the best forward in the league by a distance and that includes Edouard. He also does NOT have a discipline problem - it's this country that has a problem with him.

I don’t get the notion Morelos doesn’t do it in big game. Has Scored at Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Easter Road. Not to mention 7 goals vs Kilmarnock. Was excellent vs Celtic in new Year game. Double vs Vienna in the Europa League. Goal away to Osijek and Moscow (ruled out wrongly for offside).

Mate doesn’t suit agenda for some , basically he hasn’t scored against them .

In his press conference he says he never spoke to Andy Gray about a title challenge and only spoke to him about Qatar as a potential base for a training camp for Rangers. He then said "I categorically deny it". Gray shouldn't be running off to the media and repeating anything that's been said to him in private by the manager.

Gerrard says a lot of things in the press when the opposite is true. I think he's just pissed off at the implication from the media that he's shouting his mouth off that we are going to win the title. Which is totally different from us having a belief behind closed doors we are good enough to go and challenge.

As I said, Gerrard himself has said our aim is to go and win things but we won't be disrespectful to the opposition by saying we are going to do this and that.

It's just a tabloid headline when Gray's overall interview was actually very good and complimentary about the club as a whole and the great job Gerrard is doing.

Ten goals v Kilmarnock last season mate, a team who had a very mean defence last season.

Four at Ibrox in the cup, three at RP in the league cup, two at Ibrox in the league, one at RP in the league.

Exactly.

Morelos bruised them on the 29th December last year and every one on here praised his performance.

But aye, Andy Gray is right according to some.

Alfie sometimes makes it easy for all our enemies to criticise him. What will be hard is replacing his drive, sheer determination & goals.

Yeah brilliant stuff Andy. Our manager has had to come out in an in house interview and tell everyone you were talking shite. Bravo big chap.
There's many on here that won't have seen the RTV interview or the press conference where SG as good as says AG is full of shite.

The media have did a good number on many on here when it's obvious AM is refereed differently to everyone else (for those that watch the games).

Do folk really think that elite level mangers and sporting directors are influenced by what Chris Sutton or Gerry Collins are saying?

I would say due to the numerous posts wailing about such a crazy notion then yes, there's a proportion of folk that really do think this. o_O

He scored against Maribor, Osijek and Rapid Vienna. He scored a perfectly legitimate goal against Spartak that was incorrectly ruled out.

He scored against every team he played against in Scotland last year, with the exception of the scum.

His red on opening day was rescinded. His red against Ufa was a joke. The McKenna incident was a disgrace and should absolutely have not been sent off. The one with Brown is debatable as a sending off, however not too many complaints - bear in mind it was a reaction to getting studded down the back of his leg. The red against sheep at Ibrox is indefensible.

Morelos is the best forward in the league by a distance and that includes Edouard. He also does NOT have a discipline problem - it's this country that has a problem with him.

Yeah but I suppose you can’t expect that to be acknowledged by people who happily get on the “5 red cards, liability and better off gone” train. The fact some of our own fans scream ‘5 red cards’ without any acknowledgement of how farcical 2 or 3 of them were is pretty shit if we’re honest.

But as we’ve seen over time, when a group of fans form a dislike for a certain player, they’re very unlikely to let it go and sometimes they’d actually rather see that player continue to fall so they can get a really satisfying “I told you so”. We’ve already seen it in pre-season where Barisic has even targeted in games where he hadn’t actually done anything wrong.

This was also my interpretation.
There is definitely nothing in the op that states Gerard said we’d win the league.
I reckon your last paragraph is spot on.

This was also my interpretation.
There is definitely nothing in the op that states Gerard said we’d win the league.
I reckon your last paragraph is spot on.
It's a different article from the one posted in the OP. There was another thread on it.

Andy Gray scored a massive 5 goals for Rangers. I'll have Alfie please.

No debate who had had the better Rangers career. I couldn't care less what he did for other teams.

Mate doesn’t suit agenda for some , basically he hasn’t scored against them .
Which would make Konterman, Little, Ricksen, Lafferty and a lot of others more valuable?
FFS, even Boyd got one against the scum.
The notion that he isn’t good because he hasn’t scored against septic is ridiculous.

A lot of that is par for the course for a Rangers forward.

Kilmarnock a big game for us...I would take a fair bit of convincing to buy into that in all honesty.

A big game for Rangers is Scottish Cup tie that helps lead the way to a trophy - Semi final, Final - and as much as some dismiss it a big game for Rangers is Celtic, that's just the brutal reality of it.

A lot more Rangers fans will buy into the idea of a goal against Celtic than goals against Killie.

We pay our players to the extent our big games extend a bit further than that.

The record you have referenced there is probably includes slightly less "big" goals than Kris Boyd scored for Rangers, Boyd is a player who is oft critiqued for his inability to score in big games.

Last edited:
Pretty much echoes the opinion of most Rangers fans I know, including mine. If you seriously think Gray is 'letting the club down' or 'sticking the boot into poor Alfie' then then you must be a right precious little princess.

Pretty much echoes the opinion of most Rangers fans I know, including mine. If you seriously think Gray is 'letting the club down' or 'sticking the boot into poor Alfie' then then you must be a right precious little princess.

I think people get "precious" when you bring refs cheating into it.

what does this even mean

It's pretty self explanatory I mean....

I already said he scored some big ones, but it doesn't change that it wasn't a great output, and it's why he played so much from the bench.

Anyway, we're getting this thread off track.

you aren't taking about the goals Novo scored against Killie when you talk about that are you...

How many Rangers even remember Jonas Therns goal v Kilmarnock.

It's pretty self explanatory I mean....

you aren't taking about the goals Novo scored against Killie when you talk about that are you...

How many Rangers even remember Jonas Therns goal v Kilmarnock.
It's really not self-explanatory. You're saying Rangers fans would prefer that Morelos scored one goal instead of two goals?

Back