Andy Gray and Richard Keyes

I watched some stuff with them recently before the Qatar World Cup kicked off. They love their life over there. Andy went through some pretty dark times after the shit show at Sky.
They'll be on a fortune, living in the sun and playing golf in their spare time. I still don't think a co commentator has got close to the level Andy was at.
Super has given it a cracking go though.

Andy Gray was the best colour commentator ever. He was unmatched and brought an excitement to calling the action that only the best main commentators possessed. After he was fired SKY promoted the most figurative and literally boring pundit they had, Alan Smith, to replace him because they wanted someone who had zero chance of causing the sort of storm Gray had just done.

As for Keyes, people's dislike of him on a personal level seems to override their ability to gauge his presenting skills, which I think were very good. Like Gray, after his sacking SKY played it safe by finding only the blandest of presenters to fill his shoes.

Together they were the best presenting duo on TV by some way and Id say them leaving marked the general decline in punditry to the point where it became so boring and fake, that it was rendered unwatchable.

Actually revisiting the incidents they were storms in teacups and ultimately it seemed more a case of some folks at SKY wanting to stitch them up over long term dislike or envy.

Fast forward a little while and a grown man spitting in the face of a young child gets a short holiday and is back as the face of the channel.

They would be a pair of absolute dinosaurs now, tbh.

I think that ship has sailed and probably for the best.
I love these sort of posts.

Do you or the posters that liked your comment not think he would understand the difference between City or Liverpool and say sides thats played more back to front in the 90s ?

I loved Andy Gray as a SKY pundit in the EPL and looking back it feels like his sacking was an overreaction given what some players get away with kicking cats etc.

Would love to see him back commentating and analysing EPL games.
They do cover EPL and Champions League on BEIN Sports. Fantastic coverage I watch them rather than SKY.

Do you or the posters that liked your comment not think he would understand the difference between City or Liverpool and say sides thats played more back to front in the 90s ?
The fact that they're still working on EPL games and have been for years negates the point entirely.

Andy was in the Butty in Drumchapel at the weekend, great form apparently.

I think change is required from time to time and different views and skill sets bring fresh perspective.

Having the same people for 30 years in one slot isn’t particularly ideal either.

There is no doubting that Neville and Carragher have brought the product on.

As I said, it’s been a good move for all parties.

It’s not that he wouldn’t notice the difference I just think he’s too stubborn to admit it. They had Sean Dyche on their pod recently and honestly it was like embarrassing all round. I don’t think he would admit the sport has moved on leaps and bounds from the 90s.

Keys is a national embarrassment.

A talentless, narcissistic, hairy wank.

I mean, look at the state of him

1500x500

Like them or lump them, most of modern day punditry is down too this dynamic duo!

When they arrived with sky it was like an updated version of Saints and Grievsy with,
Far more information on the games! It was something before them we never had?

Their analyzing of each game was second to none at the time!

I can still hear "Andy boy" screaming! "Gone ya beauty" when a great goal was scored! No matter the team or the scorer .......No Tribal bigotry from "Oor Andy"
To what we are getting now from the bigoted half wits of todays so called pundits?

To me the only pundit near to "Andy Boy" for fair commentary on games is,
"Oor Ally" .......Which seems too get up some bigoted supporters noses?

Keys wrote: 'Perhaps he's given up believing that he's got a coaching career, but if he hasn't, I firmly believe he's definitely got to give those games up. Either way - he shouldn't be taunting Celtic fans as he did after scoring.

'I know it's hard and I know they'd been on at him all through the game - but he's a big boy and he knows it's all part of the gig.

'Those fans had paid their money to charity (the players always get paid btw) and so they had a right to get involved in the occasion.'

No bother, Richard.

It’s not that he wouldn’t notice the difference I just think he’s too stubborn to admit it. They had Sean Dyche on their pod recently and honestly it was like embarrassing all round. I don’t think he would admit the sport has moved on leaps and bounds from the 90s.
What has moved on, more focus on useless numberz:) if it has moved on so much why did Dyche with his style of football just get a top job in that league ? and they did beat Arsenal who were flying. You mean moved on from playing 4-4-2 which ever since i was told on here it was history i see teams playing all the time.

If you ignore the flashing lights, star trek noises and all the lucky you its coming up live next and it only cost you 60 quid this month, what does Neville, Souness, Keane or the female pundits know or add, that Gray couldnt/wouldnt ?

Keyes is quite annoying and can probaby thank Andy for where he is i get that part, but i would say Gray is as good a pundit as any of the guys doing the job now. I have only seen him do a couple of games recently but he knew what he was talking about he was not screaming fire up to the target man

What has moved on, more focus on useless numberz:) if it has moved on so much why did Dyche with his style of football just get a top job in that league ? and they did beat Arsenal who were flying. You mean moved on from playing 4-4-2 which ever since i was told on here it was history i see teams playing all the time.

If you ignore the flashing lights, star trek noises and all the lucky you its coming up live next and it only cost you 60 quid this month, what does Neville, Souness, Keane or the female pundits know or add, that Gray couldnt/wouldnt ?

Keyes is quite annoying and can probaby thank Andy for where he is i get that part, but i would say Gray is as good a pundit as any of the guys doing the job now. I have only seen him do a couple of games recently but he knew what he was talking about he was not screaming fire up to the target man
A top job? The reason he got the job is because they are utterly horrific, facing their first ever EPL era relegation and he gets clubs back to basics.

A top job? The reason he got the job is because they are utterly horrific, facing their first ever EPL era relegation and he gets clubs back to basics.
Still a good job though and you see why he was given it with them now getting results and pulling clear. Its as big a job as about 14/15 other clubs down there. Walter went there when they had more issues, Gerrard went to a similar size club i doubt Fat Angie will get a better club even with his record.

You didnt answer any other points, what is the huge difference in football what is it thats so difficult for Andy or most other football fans(not you or Crouchy obv) to understand about the game ?

If you mean the press i think DA brought that to Rangers and it was the main reason we beat Leverkusen.

And Gray’s a really nice guy. After injury forced him out of top level football he played for Cheltenham Town for a short period. Our local non-league side played away against them and my 10 year old son, a keen Gers fan, and I were there. My son asked in the clubhouse if Gray was around. Andy came from the players lounge, introduced him to all the players and got him a coke and a sandwich. Spent half an hour with him. And not even a fan of Cheltenham. My son’s never forgotten it.
I should have added, my sons Coisty top might have helped :)

Back