Andy Halliday and Barry Ferguson on Pedro

"if the likes of Halliday could remember his own abject failures"

Teams fail, individuals do not. Thus, my point being that he never hid and always gave it his all.

To clarify.

Halliday was part of several failed teams.

In the SPL, he was a failure for us in terms of his own individual performances.

Don’t let the diehard bear claims cloud your judgement on him as a player with us

Well with retrospect, I think he would be glad he didnt get it? Would you want to be associated with the Portuguese Pretender?

Didn't do Johansson or Murty any harm did it ? When Pedro went, they were in charge for months.

That could've been Ferguson. Instead, he ran to the press (again) when he didn't get the gig and then clearly told players at the club what went on in the interview.

Surely not? :D

The guy was a complete fraud and that was clear from the outset.
Keeping him beyond that summer was the biggest mistake this board has made
Other than grandstanding when they thought they’d ousted fat Mike one of the 4 times or so it took to get rid of him.

What the hell was the criteria to get the job?
Is it a sign of how far we’d fallen that he was even in with a shot never mind getting it... don’t even start me on Mendes foisting him on us to line his pockets

It's baffling that the same board who hired Pedro hired Gerrard.

Re: Ferguson. Loved him as a player and would kill for a player like that nowadays, but as a guy he seems like a bit of a tosser. Full of self importance and you get the vibe from that interview he had with Pedro that he expected to walk into Rangers and run the place.

Didn't do Johansson or Murty any harm did it ? When Pedro went, they were in charge for months.

That could've been Ferguson. Instead, he ran to the press (again) when he didn't get the gig and then clearly told players at the club what went on in the interview.
How did that work out for JJ and Murty?
Murty is pretty openly loathed by sections of the support and JJ was questionable at Morton.

Keeping him beyond that summer was the biggest mistake this board has made
Other than grandstanding when they thought they’d ousted fat Mike one of the 4 times or so it took to get rid of him.

What the hell was the criteria to get the job?
Is it a sign of how far we’d fallen that he was even in with a shot never mind getting it... don’t even start me on Mendes foisting him on us to line his pockets
Never took to Mendes as a player, even less so now!

Halliday was singled out by Pedro as a trouble maker, when Gerrard came in and pulled him aside and asked "I've been told this about you, but I'm not seeing it, what happened?!"

He was given another chance, was part of the squad with Gerrard until last season when his contract wasn’t renewed as he wasn’t of the required standard

However, had Gerrard caught wind of at least one incident where Halliday made snide remarks about his team selections, he’d have been out the door earlier

In hospitality one day when left out of the 18 man selection, he was more than vocal about his anger and in his words in front of hospitality guests “if I had a Croatian passport I’d be in the feckin team”. A club employee had to pull him aside and have a quiet word.

Not a made up story. 100% accurate.

Just a point on Pedro ... yes he wasted millions on the Mexicans but that money will be recouped when we sell Morelos

“Ah but Morelos was a JJ signing” ... well he may have been recommended by JJ but Pedro was the man that sanctioned the signing and took the gamble on JJ’s word so ultimately he was a Pedro signing as much as some on here won’t like to admit
Morelos doesn't even come close to excusing him for pena and Herrera

Rightly so!
Le Guen was another that simply didnt get “it” about Rangers, or Scottish football.
Mibbee. But there are better ways and means other than just undermining him. PLG had an excellent pedigree when he came to Ibrox. He wanted everybody off burgers and beer which didn’t suit everybody.

He got no time at all to get going.

Do you think Gerrard ‘got it’ the minute he walked in the door. He does now.

How did that work out for JJ and Murty?
Murty is pretty openly loathed by sections of the support and JJ was questionable at Morton.

Neither of that has anything to do with Pedro is it ? Them being failures is down to them.

Point is they got their chance to be in charge. Like I said, had Ferguson got the job, he'd have been in charge of Rangers. He can pretend he's glad he never got but he's fooling no one. It would've been his only shot at it and now it's never going to happen for him.

His loss. Thankfully not ours.

Note to delboy

Progress neidercorn in a bush

Note to Boabmeister - I watched it.

I’m not defending Pedro for his stint. It was appalling.

But Halliday wasn’t a great player for us so I kind of find it hard to laugh at him trying to slag off a failed manager given he won nothing with us and had the mentally challengeds singing his name due to how woeful he was in countless games against them

I think much of what Ferguson says about having to adapt at places like Tyncastle and Pittodrie is bang on... but the dismissive language about Pedro, that what was said got to the dressing room....

I just don’t see how it could ever work for Ferguson coaching or being an assistant at Rangers, the manager would need to be constantly looking over his shoulder.

Ferguson could have thought that the guy was a clown but banked on him being booted after a while and then Ferguson would be in a great position to take over.
Like with Le Guen, it was easier to just run his mouth off to his mates in the press.

Just a point on Pedro ... yes he wasted millions on the Mexicans but that money will be recouped when we sell Morelos

“Ah but Morelos was a JJ signing” ... well he may have been recommended by JJ but Pedro was the man that sanctioned the signing and took the gamble on JJ’s word so ultimately he was a Pedro signing as much as some on here won’t like to admit
Also no one ever says "Yeah, but the Mexicans were a Helder Baptista signing"

Ultimately, all the signings were Pedros as he was the manager and in the main, they were failures.

I think much of what Ferguson says about having at adapt at places like Tyncastle and Pittodrie is bang on... but the dismissive language about Pedro, that what was said got to the dressing room....

I just don’t see how it could ever work for Ferguson coaching or being an assistant at Rangers, the manager would need to be constantly looking over his shoulder.

Ferguson could have thought that the guy was a clown but banked on him being booted after a while and then Ferguson would be in a great position to take over.
Like with Le Guen, it was easier to just run his mouth off to his mates in the press.
You not think Ally, Durrant etc all mouthed to the press as well? Difference being it was at a time where we were massively successful so noone cared.

Pedro set our club back a few years and spent millions of pounds on diddy’s and an alky but aye big bad ferguson.

Doesn’t have to be one or the other

Can say Pedro wasted millions, sanctioned by the board I may add and still to this day find it incredible that none of them were booted out for such an outrageous waste of several years and millions

On the other hand you can also say the video sums up Ferguson and his attitude and why no manager could ever trust him working under him.

However, when Morelos is sold for a good few million, I’m sure we’ll see plenty of posts from you and others rightfully praising Pedro for sanctioning £1m to sign him and earning us many millions in profit ...

Also no one ever says "Yeah, but the Mexicans were a Helder Baptista signing"

Ultimately, all the signings were Pedros as he was the manager and in the main, they were failures.

I agree.

But my point is on those that say he wasted millions. He did, but all of those wasted millions will be recouped with the sale of 1 of his signings.

That’s been my point ...

I think much of what Ferguson says about having to adapt at places like Tyncastle and Pittodrie is bang on... but the dismissive language about Pedro, that what was said got to the dressing room....

Compare it to Kevin Thomson's reaction to being passed over for it.

Publicly thanked Pedro and the club for being considered for it, said it was an honour to be shortlisted and wished them well.

Fast forward a couple of years and KT's in an important coaching role at the club and Ferguson is managing Kelty Hearts.

It's not a coincidence.

There are some who will never forgive Ferguson for his part in undermining and ultimately getting rid of Le Guen. Whereas there are many who will be forever grateful for it. And Pedro was even worse than PLG.

Some will say he would never have disrespected or publicly criticised Jock Wallace, Graeme Souness, Walter Smith or Steven Gerrard like that.

Very true, because they knew what they were doing.

On saying all that, of course he shouldn't be anywhere near a Rangers coaching role.

I agree.

But my point is on those that say he wasted millions. He did, but all of those wasted millions will be recouped with the sale of 1 of his signings.

That’s been my point ...

Yeah but how much did Pedro add to Alifes value? I'd say Gerrard & his coaching team have done all the work on adding value to Alfie.

Pedro was our manager for 7 months, 1 1/2 months of which was the summer break. He saw Alfie score 8 goals.

Pedro can't take any credit for the fee we get for Alfie one day.

You not think Ally, Durrant etc all mouthed to the press as well? Difference being it was at a time where we were massively successful so noone cared.
I laugh my socks off when people moan about Kenny Miller being a leak.... generations of Scottish footballers have been talked up in the press, to the national managers, agents and been eventually given ghost columns off the back of the dressing room gossip they shared with their favourite journalists.

They’ve all been at it for decades.

I’ll bet nobody went to the press saying that they thought the manager was a fanny with daft ideas when Walter Smith was in charge of them though.

Bottom line is that Ferguson could have been smart and seen it as a way to get into the coaching setup at Ibrox, taking his medicine to some extent while Pedro made the arse of it that he predicted.

Instead he decided that he didn’t like what Perdo was saying and would rather go and shoot his mouth off about it and forego any chance of establishing a foothold for getting the job he really wanted a couple of years down the line.

Mibbee. But there are better ways and means other than just undermining him. PLG had an excellent pedigree when he came to Ibrox. He wanted everybody off burgers and beer which didn’t suit everybody.

I actually think Gerrard "got it" even before he walked in the door.

Mind that time we were all circle wanking over that picture of Caixinha and Mendes et al rocking up to the Piggery.

Yeah but how much did Pedro add to Alifes value? I'd say Gerrard & his coaching team have done all the work on adding value to Alfie.

Pedro was our manager for 7 months, 1 1/2 months of which was the summer break. He saw Alfie score 8 goals.

Pedro can't take any credit for the fee we get for Alfie one day.

I get that and agree to an extent but ultimately if Pedro didn’t sign him, he wouldn’t have been here for Gerrard and co to improve him ...

With any manager IMO it’s only fair to judge all of his signings as a whole rather than cherry pick which players to use in an argument to suit your views on the manager in general

The fact that no one lost their job over that shambles (and the subsequent McInnes and Murty debacles) is even more bonkers.

How anyone thought that clown - the sort of manager someone like Motherwell or Kilmarnock would appoint - was a fitting addition to the illustrious managerial history of our club beggars belief quite frankly.

I wikipedia’d him because I couldn’t quite remember the clubs he was at. Could have sworn there was something decent in amongst it but it’s an awful CV that would get laughed out of the Motherwells and Kilmarnocks. No idea how he even got an interview.

Some will say he would never have disrespected or publicly criticised Jock Wallace, Graeme Souness, Walter Smith or Steven Gerrard like that.

Very true, because they knew what they were doing.

They did but there were still some players who openly criticised them or publicly challenged them

Souness had Bartram calling him a bastard in the papers and Roberts baiting him publicly by showing up at Brockville when he was told to stay away.

Walter had Boli criticise his tactics and preparation for the AEK Athens game

PLG also didn’t want players tackling in training.
Like Caixinha he failed miserably and was an expensive flop. The only good things to come from each managers tenure was Papac and Morelos & that their replacements were Smith and Gerrard.

As for SG getting it, he absolutely got it, from day 1. Because he was brought up at a club with similar high standards, similar success and a huge demanding fan base who can be both the best and worst weapons of the club.

Doesn’t have to be one or the other

Can say Pedro wasted millions, sanctioned by the board I may add and still to this day find it incredible that none of them were booted out for such an outrageous waste of several years and millions

On the other hand you can also say the video sums up Ferguson and his attitude and why no manager could ever trust him working under him.

However, when Morelos is sold for a good few million, I’m sure we’ll see plenty of posts from you and others rightfully praising Pedro for sanctioning £1m to sign him and earning us many millions in profit ...

I’ll Proceed to praise him then remember progres neiderkorn away like a Vietnam flashback and stop.

Mind that time we were all circle wanking over that picture of Caixinha and Mendes et al rocking up to the Piggery.
I’ll sit here and say right now, (if the old board is searchable you can look for my posts) I never wanted him and I wanted him gone even quicker. I can’t be won over with no green boots and some posters

It was a disastrous appointment and a waste of time and money of that there is no doubt. But I do find theres a real lack of class in sitting there slagging him off like that. Forget Pedro’s job, I’d bet if Barry was one of our coaches now he’d have been gunning for Gerrards job when it all went south last season - Barry little comment about not getting the job “putting out the bibs and cones” he made afterwards was really disrespectful to JJ too.

This in spades.

"Nice guy who did his best" "It wasn't his fault he was out his depth". The chancer knew what he was doing from that first interview and didn't care if he ran the club into the ground. It was all about getting his own name in lights.

It's no doubt been a sore few weeks for the poster on here who still maintains that he would have done just as good a job as Gerrard if given time.
Really? He knew what he was doing and happy to run the club into the ground? There's no question he was out of his depth and an appointment that should never been made, but I doubt he entered into it with malicious intentions. I suspect he had confidence in his ability and rapidly was found wanting, such as happens in every job in every walk of life.

Nothing more than muck raking imo , seems it’s all a big laugh now but I’d rather the likes of Halliday remembered his own abject failures during that period because I certainly do and none of it is funny.
I’ll bite. No bother.

Andy Halliday played a massive part in us getting back to the Premier League and to call him a failure is absolutely scandalous.

Andy Halliday would’ve and still would run through brick walls for our club.

I won’t go into what exactly happened with Andy and Pedro, but the fact that Halliday came through it and earned a place in Gerrard’s squad for a short spell after it, it’s a credit to the guy.

I think you’ll find what Andy said in that interview to be quite respectful of Pedro. It’s a shame he didn’t treat Andy with the same respect.

Edit - And for what it’s worth, I do agree that we shouldn’t be slagging an ex manager off - but equally we shouldn’t be calling ex players failures either.

These people sit laughing that the manager doesn't know what he's doing whilst appearing oblivious to the fact that this manager thinks they are the ones good enough to bring success back to Rangers.

If Halliday had been more concerned about improving his own game so the Celtic fans wouldn't be laughing at him and chanting his name rather than laughing at the manager he might have done better.

That little clique within that dressing room needed gutted and now that it has been we are starting to see a bit more success.
Well your Halliday point is a load of bull. He was mocked by them at Hampden, under Murty, after he was thrown under the bus.

They chanted his name because he was one of us. No other reason.

Interested to know, who’s “that little clique” though?
Because SG was more than happy to have Halliday at the club for 2 years

Halliday rarely let us down in all honesty. I cant really remember a game where I think “wtf was he doing? He is a joke”.
On the flip, I remember exactly that with Pedro - on his first game at HT! Lol
I like Halliday, but let's be honest about it, not a great player. Probably not even a good one. Gets a pass because he's a bear by a lot of people but shouldn't have been anywhere near a Rangers team. We were piss poor for a long time and while the managers we had were a lot to do with it, there was some amount of dross on the pitch as well.

Gerrard wasn’t a ned at Liverpool who got stripped of the captaincy not once but twice.
Yet both stroll into their clubs hall of fame as 2 of the finest players ever to play for their illustrious teams.
As for the first “stripping” that was no more than a desperate mans final shot at working his ticket!

Well your Halliday point is a load of bull. He was mocked by them at Hampden, under Murty, after he was thrown under the bus.

They chanted his name because he was one of us. No other reason.

Interested to know, who’s “that little clique” though?
Because SG was more than happy to have Halliday at the club for 2 years
Can only assume he’s referring to Wallace, Miller and co. Like you suggested, Stevie Gerrard isn’t going to have any trouble makers lingering about. I’d like to think Halliday showed his commitment and his usefulness as a squad player the past two seasons.

Back