Andy Halliday and Barry Ferguson on Pedro

What has hiding got to do with anything?

Let’s be honest, Halliday was ok for us in the championship but we’ll out of his depth in the SPL and was part of a team that took regular batterings from the bheasts.

He was part of some of the worst results we’ve had so let’s not rewrite history by pretending he was a great signing just because he didn’t hide.

If he wasn’t born on the Copland Road he wouldn’t have half of the defence put up for him by posters on here
Halliday was never the best footballer at the club but he'd have told you that himself.

The embarrassments you're talking about happened because of three completely inadequate managers. One of them refused to ever do defensive work and the other two were total jokes.

You can make the argument that Warburton dug the hole for the foundations that Gerrard would eventually lay but the Pedro and Murty era set us back about three years.

Can only assume he’s referring to Wallace, Miller and co. Like you suggested, Stevie Gerrard isn’t going to have any trouble makers lingering about. I’d like to think Halliday showed his commitment and his usefulness as a squad player the past two seasons.
Wallace has long been praised for his professionalism and his commitment, so unfair to label him anything but. Miller, like Ferguson, had an expectation of what was acceptable at Rangers and the board, Murty, Pedro et al all fell short whilst he was at the club.

Wallace has long been praised for his professionalism and his commitment, so unfair to label him anything but. Miller, like Ferguson, had an expectation of what was acceptable at Rangers and the board, Murty, Pedro et al all fell short whilst he was at the club.
Never said I disagreed, just said that’s who I assume he was referring to....

Really? He knew what he was doing and happy to run the club into the ground? There's no question he was out of his depth and an appointment that should never been made, but I doubt he entered into it with malicious intentions. I suspect he had confidence in his ability and rapidly was found wanting, such as happens in every job in every walk of life.

I don't really agree with that tbh. His first matchday press conference where he pretended to have researched the Hamilton team and dangerman Dougie Imrie spoke volumes. He strikes me as one of those guys who are quite happy to bullshit their way through life and if damage is left in their wake then, well, that's not their problem anymore. There's being ambitious and then there's pulling the wool over someone's eyes.

Since leaving I don't think there's been a single player who has had a good word to say about him or his methods. Christ, even the likes of Alves and Candeias were hardly mourning his departure.

An odd, wholly unlikable man.

This in spades.

"Nice guy who did his best" "It wasn't his fault he was out his depth". The chancer knew what he was doing from that first interview and didn't care if he ran the club into the ground. It was all about getting his own name in lights.

It's no doubt been a sore few weeks for the poster on here who still maintains that he would have done just as good a job as Gerrard if given time.
Right , spill the beans , who came out with that pish ?

Compare it to Kevin Thomson's reaction to being passed over for it.

Publicly thanked Pedro and the club for being considered for it, said it was an honour to be shortlisted and wished them well.

Fast forward a couple of years and KT's in an important coaching role at the club and Ferguson is managing Kelty Hearts.

It's not a coincidence.
Ferguson, while undoubtedly a Rangers great, has always been a helmet.

I speak from first hand experience of him at a player of the year in the Hilton in McLeish time.

Embarrassing on a podcast speaking like that. No wonder he can't get a gig.

Can’t believe there is actually people slagging Andy and Barry of rather than that roaster Pedro. Man was a disgrace to the club and struggle to remember one good thing he done

I'll say this, that clip right there is why Ferguson should never ever be near our club in coaching capacity.

A guy who cannot be trusted.
I'm in that camp and watching such crap enforces it. What should be a pub conversation is recorded and shared as some kind of hilarity. Whilst they are more than entitled to their opinion, are we going to hear moans from the two of them in future years when they don't get an opportunity. They don't need to respect Pedro but have a little bit of decorum and respect for yourselves. There's every chance airing that kind of stuff publicly won't bode well for them in future. Poor form, you'd have thought Barry might have learned.

Ferguson, while undoubtedly a Rangers great, has always been a helmet.

I speak from first hand experience of him at a player of the year in the Hilton in McLeish time.

Embarrassing on a podcast speaking like that. No wonder he can't get a gig.

It's not really. If you've ever listened to the podcast before you'd know that they regularly get tore into ex pros and managers. Its entire USP is being candid.

Just a point on Pedro ... yes he wasted millions on the Mexicans but that money will be recouped when we sell Morelos

“Ah but Morelos was a JJ signing” ... well he may have been recommended by JJ but Pedro was the man that sanctioned the signing and took the gamble on JJ’s word so ultimately he was a Pedro signing as much as some on here won’t like to admit

He can take that crumb of comfort yes, literally the only positive thing about his time in charge.

I don't really agree with that tbh. His first matchday press conference where he pretended to have researched the Hamilton team and dangerman Dougie Imrie spoke volumes. He strikes me as one of those guys who are quite happy to bullshit their way through life and if damage is left in their wake then, well, that's not their problem anymore. There's being ambitious and then there's pulling the wool over someone's eyes.

Since leaving I don't think there's been a single player who has had a good word to say about him or his methods. Christ, even the likes of Alves and Candeias were hardly mourning his departure.

An odd, wholly unlikable man.
I genuinely cannot believe that he became Rangers manager because of a PowerPoint presentation

I'm currently watching the full episode, and I've genuinely laughed out loud in a few places, and I'm a miserable ****.
Guys being honest from the inside, whether you like or agree with them.

I’ll bite. No bother.

Andy Halliday played a massive part in us getting back to the Premier League and to call him a failure is absolutely scandalous.

Andy Halliday would’ve and still would run through brick walls for our club.

I won’t go into what exactly happened with Andy and Pedro, but the fact that Halliday came through it and earned a place in Gerrard’s squad for a short spell after it, it’s a credit to the guy.

I think you’ll find what Andy said in that interview to be quite respectful of Pedro. It’s a shame he didn’t treat Andy with the same respect.

Edit - And for what it’s worth, I do agree that we shouldn’t be slagging an ex manager off - but equally we shouldn’t be calling ex players failures either.

I’m not fishing or trying to get anyone to bite.
My post you quoted said “..during that period.” the period in question. you’ve then rhymed off examples of his efforts from other periods , none of which I questioned, as if I’m somehow anti Andy Halliday because I don’t laugh along with everything he comes out with.

I leave it at that.

There are some who will never forgive Ferguson for his part in undermining and ultimately getting rid of Le Guen. Whereas there are many who will be forever grateful for it. And Pedro was even worse than PLG.

Some will say he would never have disrespected or publicly criticised Jock Wallace, Graeme Souness, Walter Smith or Steven Gerrard like that.

Very true, because they knew what they were doing.

On saying all that, of course he shouldn't be anywhere near a Rangers coaching role.
He publicly disrespected Walter Smith when on Scotland duty when told by him to be quiet and behave I'm not sure he started another game for us after that

Thread full of absolute tits!

Andy and Fergie are proper bears and knew he was at it a mile off! At least we’re getting some insight!

This, the guy made a lot of money from Rangers and would be received a decent wedge to go. He was a laughing stock.

That's the way the vast majority of galsgow talk, whats the problem? C.unt is a term of endearment in these parts.
I don't think any of us will ever use the word c. unt as a term of endearment towards Pedro. I still break out in a sweat whenever I hear his name.

Reactions: hms

Andy and Fergie are proper bears and knew he was at it a mile off! At least we’re getting some insight!
I agree with you but I can see where people are coming from.

If I was in charge of the club I'd be annoyed by an ex job candidate talking about it at all.

I’m not fishing or trying to get anyone to bite.
My post you quoted said “..during that period.” the period in question. you’ve then rhymed off examples of his efforts from other periods , none of which I questioned, as if I’m somehow anti Andy Halliday because I don’t laugh along with everything he comes out with.

I leave it at that.
Pedro shipped Halliday out to Qabala on loan.

The following season Andy played 35 times under Gerrard. I’m sure Gerrard even labelled him as his unofficial captain at some point in his first season.

If anyone failed, it was the Rangers team as a whole - not Andy Halliday.

Bottom line is that Ferguson could have been smart and seen it as a way to get into the coaching setup at Ibrox, taking his medicine to some extent while Pedro made the arse of it that he predicted.

Instead he decided that he didn’t like what Perdo was saying and would rather go and shoot his mouth off about it and forego any chance of establishing a foothold for getting the job he really wanted a couple of years down the line.

How did that work out for the likes of Davie Weir?

If Barry was part of the Pedro regime then he would received flak on here when Pedro inevitably went on to be the worst Rangers manager of all time.

Decent guy Pedro might have been, he was so far out of his depth it was unreal.

I have no issue with Barry calling him out here. That's his personality and so be it. He only did so because it was sickening him and teh rest of us to see our clubs standards falling so low.

He was brought up in a winning Rangers culture, grew up in a period of success and high standards under Walter Smith, Advocaat and then McLeish. Men who commanded respect of the dressing room as soon as they walked into it.

And people think he should have put up and shut up under Pedro? The man who hopped into a bush to address Rangers fans as we lost to part timers in Europe? Incredible.

This board will be forever remembered for being saviours - I will also remember this shambles, the Mcinnes debacle and the shambles preceding it with Warburton and Weir. Rank amateurism at its finest.
Who in their right mind would listen to Pedro and think, YES! This is the guy to stop Brenda. Then hand him a cheque book.
I do agree that I would rather AH and BF leave the colourful language at the door, but its who they are and its no different to what you hear in the stands, and in the changing room.
Still would like to have seen BF in a coaching role at the club, regardless of some people’s opinions on his columns - he is honest and speaks his mind.
I don’t think the board were sold on Pedro as a manager, it was more the package of agents and players that came with him. Agree very unwise appointment but I think they looked at wolves and thought we would like that

It was a disastrous appointment and a waste of time and money of that there is no doubt. But I do find theres a real lack of class in sitting there slagging him off like that. Forget Pedro’s job, I’d bet if Barry was one of our coaches now he’d have been gunning for Gerrards job when it all went south last season - Barry little comment about not getting the job “putting out the bibs and cones” he made afterwards was really disrespectful to JJ too.
He's not though, it's an entertainment show, and shows the less serious side of Football. The club is currently in a good place.. No need to worry about Barry taking over!

If they were proper Bears they shouldn't have recorded the Podcast

Personally I thought Caixinha did get Rangers and he certainly saw how corrupt Scottish Football was, He was never the man for the job tho and was a dreadful manager I wish him no ill will tho

Couldn’t care less who slates Pedro or now but each time I hear a new story about him it bemuses me more and more how he even got the gig in the first places

An epic failure of an appointment

It is funny to hear but at the same time, doesn’t sit right with me hearing ex players slaughter an ex manager regardless of his failings

If it was a legend that played under Pedro and had a clash fair enough but whilst Pedro failed with us, Halliday wasn’t exactly a sensation for us either.

As I said, funny story but part of me doesn’t feel comfortable watching former players slag off a manager in that manner especially given how dignified Pedro has been since leaving
I really like Andy and think he’s a much better player than given credit for but completely agree with that.

He's not though, it's an entertainment show, and shows the less serious side of Football. The club is currently in a good place.. No need to worry about Barry taking over!

Wait till a few points are dropped and that’ll all change. I just don’t think it’s a very classy thing to do. Same way I wouldn’t be happy if Walter went on some podcast giving it “what a diddy Ferguson was, I mean how daft do you have to be to get stripped of the captaincy twice ffs, ho ho ho”.

Having a laugh is fine but that was a bit shit. I can’t be the only one who’s forgotten how brutal Halliday was during those days too. He absolutely gave up the chase during one of those OF drubbings when one of their mob went onto score, I’ve tried hard to forget it but seems others have had better success than me.

Last edited:
I'll say this, that clip right there is why Ferguson should never ever be near our club in coaching capacity.

A guy who cannot be trusted.
Well I’m glad it’s not just me. I loved Barry the player, but he doesn’t paint himself in the best light sometimes. Remember the disrespect he showed JJ with his remark on his job “putting out the bibs and cones” too? Things like that irk me. I’m surprised he actually admitted to the “in your seat in 5 years time” remark his interview, it’s the sort of thing you see on an episode of Impractical Jokers when they’re at the wind up, only I suspect Barry said it with a straight face and without irony.

The blame for the Pedro debacle lies with the board who hired him. They are fortunate they earned such godwill by saving us from the spivs otherwise they would have been chased out of Ibrox.

Wait till a few points are dropped and that’ll all change. I just don’t think it’s a very classy thing to do. Same way I wouldn’t be happy if Walter went on some podcast giving it “what a diddy Ferguson was, I mean how daft do you have to be to get stripped of the captaincy twice ffs, ho ho ho”.

Having a laugh is fine but that was a bit shit. I can’t be the only one who’s forgotten how brutal Halliday was during those days too. He absolutely gave up the chase during one of those OF drubbings when one of their mob went onto score, I’ve tried hard to forget it but seems others have had better success than me.
Think he only got stripped of it once.

I think it's good getting an insight into the mess of the club so we never go back. Haliday as player gave a good account of himself, you can't hold it against him not chasing down one goal when we were probably 4-0 down. Terrible times, but we look forward

Nailed it.
McGregor shat it with the Holiday prank when he thought Smith had text him!! I'd imagine If it does happen to reach Walters radar (doubtful) I'd expect a few harsh words towards his former Captain

Think he only got stripped of it once.

I think it's good getting an insight into the mess of the club so we never go back. Haliday as player gave a good account of himself, you can't hold it against him not chasing down one goal when we were probably 4-0 down. Terrible times, but we look forward

Le Guen took it off him, and Walter made Weir the captain. He lost it twice, once for disrespect, the second for petulant and childish behaviour.

I don’t think that’s acceptable at any point regardless of the scoreline, especially against them. Listen I like Halliday but for the most part he was brutal as a player and at those difficult moments he hardly had the battle fever on. I think Kenny Miller was about the only player in the entire squad at the time who seemed to want to stand up and keep fighting.

I like Halliday but I wish he’d give the Pedro bashing a rest. For a start, Halliday himself put in many performances in that period that were unacceptable for a Rangers player.
Also feels grubby to me to be using a former Celtic-players show to repeatedly give one of our former managers a kicking. Pedro failed but I don’t doubt he genuinely tried his best.

As for Ferguson, an outstanding player but his track record in coaching is underwhelming to say the least. I won’t say what my opinion of him as a man is.

No other fans on the planet can turn on their own club legends like we can.

Barry Ferguson is one of the finest midfielders ever to grace our pitch and there surely can’t be anyone questioning his allegiances towards Rangers.

He may not be absolutely the brightest bulb that ever shone on our Christmas Tree, but he’s 100% bear.

As for Pedro, he deserves every bit of hilarity and criticism that comes his way. An absolute imposter of a manager responsible for some of the most embarrassing moments in our long and illustrious history.

It is funny to hear but at the same time, doesn’t sit right with me hearing ex players slaughter an ex manager regardless of his failings

If it was a legend that played under Pedro and had a clash fair enough but whilst Pedro failed with us, Halliday wasn’t exactly a sensation for us either.

As I said, funny story but part of me doesn’t feel comfortable watching former players slag off a manager in that manner especially given how dignified Pedro has been since leaving
Andy, various goals were scored from distance because you failed to close some one down mate.

Le Guen took it off him, and Walter made Weir the captain. He lost it twice, once for disrespect, the second for petulant and childish behaviour.

I don’t think that’s acceptable at any point regardless of the scoreline, especially against them. Listen I like Halliday but for the most part he was brutal as a player and at those difficult moments he hardly had the battle fever on. I think Kenny Miller was about the only player in the entire squad at the time who seemed to want to stand up and keep fighting.
Forgot about Le Geun. He did us a favour that time

Caixinha came in and gave his all. He wasn't good enough but it wasn't for a lack of trying. The blame lies with the board for that appointment.

At times he was the only man willing to stick up and fight for the club. Where were some of our ex players then. Jumping into bed with the bheggars to line their pockets or not even willing to show face.

You see more polite posts towards 19th Century Terrorists than ex Rangers managers/players. "King Kenny", Callum McGregor a decent guy.

Forgot about Le Geun. He did us a favour that time
I’ll be completely honest here and say that at the time I was torn because as much as I believe in respecting the chain of command, I wanted Le Guen out of there so part of me was happy Ferguson had done what he done. But it still wasn’t a very professional or respectful way to deal with things, like it or not, Le Guen was the Rangers manager, not Barry.

Caixinha came in and gave his all. He wasn't good enough but it wasn't for a lack of trying. The blame lies with the board for that appointment.

At times he was the only man willing to stick up and fight for the club. Where were some of our ex players then. Jumping into bed with the bheggars to line their pockets or not even willing to show face.

You see more polite posts towards 19th Century Terrorists than ex Rangers managers/players. "King Kenny", Callum McGregor a decent guy.
I never got the personal hatred and never will. He was a horrific appointment but he didn’t fùck it up on purpose and he didn’t appoint himself.

Second paragraph rings true sadly. I think a few are a baw hair away from lighting a candle for Van Dijk too.

Back