Andy Halliday and Barry Ferguson on Pedro

He was given another chance, was part of the squad with Gerrard until last season when his contract wasn’t renewed as he wasn’t of the required standard

However, had Gerrard caught wind of at least one incident where Halliday made snide remarks about his team selections, he’d have been out the door earlier

In hospitality one day when left out of the 18 man selection, he was more than vocal about his anger and in his words in front of hospitality guests “if I had a Croatian passport I’d be in the feckin team”. A club employee had to pull him aside and have a quiet word.

Not a made up story. 100% accurate.

If that is true, and I've no reason to doubt you, then Andy needs to take a long hard look at himself. Gerrard was the only reason he still had a Rangers career after giving him an opportunity, having been shipped off to play in Azerbaijan.

Last edited:
It is funny to hear but at the same time, doesn’t sit right with me hearing ex players slaughter an ex manager regardless of his failings

If it was a legend that played under Pedro and had a clash fair enough but whilst Pedro failed with us, Halliday wasn’t exactly a sensation for us either.

As I said, funny story but part of me doesn’t feel comfortable watching former players slag off a manager in that manner especially given how dignified Pedro has been since leaving
Have to agree and there's a slight whiff of "he's a crazy foreigner" so we can get away with it.
If he was a British manager living in Scotland, I doubt they'd be spilling the beans as much.
I also find it weird that Halliday has decided to do all this new media stuff while still playing.
I know he's in a lower league, but it doesn't feel right and surely must be a distraction from his playing duties.
Leave the media stuff until after your finished playing, Andy.

He was coaching with Liverpool, Ferguson is coaching Kelty Hearts and no one appears to be kicking down doors to give him something better.
And my point still stands... a youth coach... who had zero top team experience.. not saying it was a bad appointment etc just using it as an example

These people sit laughing that the manager doesn't know what he's doing whilst appearing oblivious to the fact that this manager thinks they are the ones good enough to bring success back to Rangers.

If Halliday had been more concerned about improving his own game so the Celtic fans wouldn't be laughing at him and chanting his name rather than laughing at the manager he might have done better.

That little clique within that dressing room needed gutted and now that it has been we are starting to see a bit more success.
Actually he did do that, and ended up putting in a MOTM display in our first win over them in ages.

Pedro couldve played the Tims 100 times and lost every single one, however.

Andy Halliday is a ned now? Gotta love FF.

I got three minutes into that video and he's talking about going on a two day drinking sesh after a Blackpool game and taking valium on a train home with his pals for a laugh, or at least another sleeping tablet. Thought it was hilarious that one of the other players couldn't walk. He's about as close to a ned as it gets, regardless of what he has in his bank. If you came across 4 men on a train falling asleep because of sleeping tablets and drink, would you not think that's a bit nedish? His and Barry's attitude to these kind of things and basic things like nutrition are exactly what has held Scotland, and by extension Rangers, back for decades.

I got three minutes into that video and he's talking about going on a two day drinking sesh after a Blackpool game and taking valium on a train home with his pals for a laugh, or at least another sleeping tablet. Thought it was hilarious that one of the other players couldn't walk. He's about as close to a ned as it gets, regardless of what he has in his bank. If you came across 4 men on a train falling asleep because of sleeping tablets and drink, would you not think that's a bit nedish? His and Barry's attitude to these kind of things and basic things like nutrition are exactly what has held Scotland, and by extension Rangers, back for decades.

I think you are going a bit over the score mate and are completely dismissing all the good that Andy has done for us in the media - constantly defending Rangers and talking us up in a reasoned and informed manner - and are judging his character wholly on a daft podcast in which he said a few things that you didn't like.

1 thing right in all this, Fergy was right. He’s straight when he talks. Canny win.
Why do we hate our own to death, fuk mel let the whole of Scottish Football do that, some of us poison at times. He’s no perfect but he knows his football and without doubt one of us.

I thought Barry came across as a little bit of a dinosaur on his coaching etc today.

I was surprised that the whole panel agreed that modern day sports science is a load of nonsense. Considering the number of repeat injuries Barry had and the time spent playing with injections maybe he should have listened a bit more.

Another poster has mentioned elsewhere this is probably what holds back Scotland as a footballing nation. The comments about Ian Cathro were harsh. The guy has fallen short as a football manager, but as part of a wider management team he is proven at a fairly high level and doesn’t deserve the stick he gets here.

It is funny to hear but at the same time, doesn’t sit right with me hearing ex players slaughter an ex manager regardless of his failings

If it was a legend that played under Pedro and had a clash fair enough but whilst Pedro failed with us, Halliday wasn’t exactly a sensation for us either.

As I said, funny story but part of me doesn’t feel comfortable watching former players slag off a manager in that manner especially given how dignified Pedro has been since leaving
Not having that. Hallisay seen him for what he was right from the start so Pedro shipped him out to Azerbaijan. If anyone deserves the right to slag him it's Andy.

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever despite his dignity and the way the press treated him. The guy got us beaten by a team from luxumburg, the worst defeat in our history.

That might be the case but I dont like ed Rangers players talking like neds and generally being fannies towards the club.

How are they talking like neds? It's the first time they've been on the show together and they're going back, having a laugh, about a nothing incident from 3 years ago. Slaney and Si can be just as scathing of ex-Celtic people.

"Lacking in class". F*ck me. It is Pedro Caixinha they are talking about, not Walter Smith. If you didn't laugh at how much of a riot he was presiding over behind the scenes then you'd probably greet. The likes of Wes and Waghorn have also spoken of his odd personality in the past and how he made little sense. Murty (rightly) has it ripped out of him constantly and you don't hear the same pearl-clutching from the same people.

It's Open Goal - the show is about taking the piss and not holding back. This thread is like a mix of classic FF sensitivity mixed with low-key Pedro fans who are still embarrassed that their man turned out to be the worst appointment in Rangers history.

Have to agree and there's a slight whiff of "he's a crazy foreigner" so we can get away with it.
If he was a British manager living in Scotland, I doubt they'd be spilling the beans as much.
I also find it weird that Halliday has decided to do all this new media stuff while still playing.
I know he's in a lower league, but it doesn't feel right and surely must be a distraction from his playing duties.
It's only a once a week podcast. Boyd was doing sky stuff whilst playing.

I was surprised that the whole panel agreed that modern day sports science is a load of nonsense. Considering the number of repeat injuries Barry had and the time spent playing with injections maybe he should have listened a bit more.

Another poster has mentioned elsewhere this is probably what holds back Scotland as a footballing nation. The comments about Ian Cathro were harsh. The guy has fallen short as a football manager, but as part of a wider management team he is proven at a fairly high level and doesn’t deserve the stick he gets here.

It’s ultimately why they are on a comedy podcast and not working for a top level football Club.

Barry more or less said why he didn't respect them. They didn't understand Scottish football and neither of them seemed arsed to learn anything about it prior to joining. To be honest, I can sort of understand that, why would you take a job like Rangers on without actually trying to get an idea of what you were walking into? Contrast that to Advocaat, who did months worth of research on the job he was inheriting from Walter. So much so, he was the one who insisted that we kept a hold of Barry Ferguson because he'd scouted our reserves at the time and wanted to work with Ferguson.
I get what your saying, and when you put it like that with the advocaat scenario then obviously Ferguson is well entitled to say they didn’t have a clue, and if he wanted to not have any respect for them, certainly in a footballing sense, then that’s his right given his past experiences.
I still stand by my opinion that Ferguson shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team in terms of coaching, for me his attitude isn’t the greatest, his ability might say otherwise but if he carried himself better then I would have Barry Ferguson around the coaching staff in a heartbeat. The club needs the experienced guys, especially ex captains, around the club and especially for the younger generation of players coming through.

Only on FF would they take the side of a charlatan like Pedro over someone like Halliday who was praised massively for how he turned his career around at us, through sheer hard work.

I don’t care if Pedro tries his hardest, he was an utter disgrace as a manager. Spending millions of pounds on a drunk midfielder, and a striker who probably seen more Scottish monuments when he was hear than he actually made appearances.

If they were being disrespectful towards a proper Rangers manager then fair enough but towards Pedro, nah he was awful. And before anyone says about Ferguson disrespecting Le Guen and Walter, I know he did and he was rightly criticised and punished for it.
Nobody is backing Pedro over Halliday not me or anyone else.

We can all see it was a shambles of an appointment.

What we don't need to see, in my opinion, is 2 ex Rangers players bending over in the timmy media giving them exactly what they want....talking about Rangers and ex managers of the club in a neddy derogatory manner.

These are 2 Scottish born Rangers supporters who played for the club they claim to support and its fucking embarrassing.

How are they talking like neds? It's the first time they've been on the show together and they're going back, having a laugh, about a nothing incident from 3 years ago. Slaney and Si can be just as scathing of ex-Celtic people.

"Lacking in class". F*ck me. It is Pedro Caixinha they are talking about, not Walter Smith. If you didn't laugh at how much of a riot he was presiding over behind the scenes then you'd probably greet. The likes of Wes and Waghorn have also spoken of his odd personality in the past and how he made little sense. Murty (rightly) has it ripped out of him constantly and you don't hear the same pearl-clutching from the same people.

It's Open Goal - the show is about taking the piss and not holding back. This thread is like a mix of classic FF sensitivity mixed with low-key Pedro fans who are still embarrassed that their man turned out to be the worst appointment in Rangers history.
Labelling ex managers as fannies and clueless isn't speaking like a ned?

Ffs Ferguson is a treble winning Rangers captain and Halliday is just out the door 2 minutes.

Could you imagine any other ex Rangers players going on podcasts and radio phone ins speaking like that about the managers they played under ?

And Ferguson wonders why he can't get a coaching gig anywhere half decent....

What we don't need to see, in my opinion, is 2 ex Rangers players bending over in the timmy media giving them exactly what they want....talking about Rangers and ex managers of the club in a neddy derogatory manner.

These are 2 Scottish born Rangers supporters who played for the club they claim to support and its fucking embarrassing.
Saved me the bother. 100% spot on.

All sorts of managers get an absolute slating off them. Pedro only got it because Barry was on the panel.

It’s hardly the Timmy media. The analysis is always fair, you never hear any sevco or liquidation bullshit from Si or Slaney and plenty ex Celtic get pelters too.

The funniest thing is, the loudest defenders of Pedro, the posters who are labelling Andy and Barry neds etc are amongst the very worst on this whole forum when it comes to disgraceful abuse of our current players. It's genuinely weird as f*ck.

I’d like to know how the ones calling Halliday a ned for getting a bevvy on the train to Blackpool spend match day?

It’s pretty much the behaviour of 90% of the fans of every football team in the U.K.

Sorry mate, but this paranoid drivel is pathetic.

If the makers were that bitter would they really have Andy Halliday & Barry Ferguson on a few days after we pumped them?

If you don't like the show that's fair enough, but this pish is tiresome.
You do you I'll do me.

Hundreds of posts on here every day about how 'Celtic controls the media' - yet Rangers fans choose to use outlets for this instead of all the other Rangers based options out there.

Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want to do, but you cant have it both ways. Its sheer hypocrisy.

As for Halliday and Ferguson, both seemed to go straight to Peter MacGuire(no friend of Rangers) for exclusives. No more needs to be said.

Like I say each to their own. You all go enjoy Lawwells sons content.

If these are the funny Halliday stories I'd hold back on the more routine stuff. Time to focus on your Hearts career Andy, you were lucky enough to play for Rangers, one main career highlight is a badly timed assault on a Celtic player at Hampden another a goal in the SC Final we shat the nest in.

Another hero for many who won no major honours. I'll pass on the dud and his stories.

Don't forget we had a 'Craig Whyte' loyal too at one point.

There's been a 'loyal' for nearly every failure since 2012 peppered with 2 absolute crooks:

McCoist
Whyte
Green (he had hero status)
Warburton (bigger than 1D at their height)
Pedro
Murty
....and as he's the subject of the thread, Halliday.

Pedro was a complete disaster. A genuinely mind blowing appointment that was clearly doomed to fail right from the start. I still maintain whoever sanctioned that appointment should have also been given the bullet.

That being said, Halliday & Ferguson don't come off to great there. If they were talking like that behind closed doors fair enough but to sit and do it on a podcast, infront of 3 sniggering bheggars is poor form.

Labelling ex managers as fannies and clueless isn't speaking like a ned?

Ffs Ferguson is a treble winning Rangers captain and Halliday is just out the door 2 minutes.

Could you imagine any other ex Rangers players going on podcasts and radio phone ins speaking like that about the managers they played under ?

And Ferguson wonders why he can't get a coaching gig anywhere half decent....

No, it isn't "neddy" at all. They're a couple of normal guys having a laugh about a strange character they encountered years ago. Again, I repeat, It's Open Goal. The whole premise of the show is a bunch of ex-pros discussing the game, no holds barred. It was only brought up because it was the first time they had appeared on the show together.

The funniest thing is, the loudest defenders of Pedro, the posters who are labelling Andy and Barry neds etc are amongst the very worst on this whole forum when it comes to disgraceful abuse of our current players. It's genuinely weird as f*ck.

It really is. It reminds me of a certain element of our support who went all in on PLG and because of that, wouldn't allow themselves to be won over by Walter.

Taking the side of a guy who was probably pissing himself laughing at the payout he got after half-arseing the job up here for 6 months over the likes of Halliday and Ferguson? Geez peace, honestly.

I noticed some of them were very muted after Saturday. Watch all hell break loose on Thursday if we lose or the likes of Goldson doesn't have a perfect game.

If that is true, and I've no reason to doubt you, then Andy needs to take a long hard look at himself. Gerrard was the only reason he still had a Rangers career after giving him an opportunity, having been shipped off to play in Azerbaijan.

It is 100% true.

Cheerleaders? I've got no problem with honest opinions but conduct yourself a bit better than the average jakeball from a slophouse in the Gallowgate.
Jakeball? Because of the way he talks?

Have you never been to Glasgow?

Not having that. Hallisay seen him for what he was right from the start so Pedro shipped him out to Azerbaijan. If anyone deserves the right to slag him it's Andy.

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever despite his dignity and the way the press treated him. The guy got us beaten by a team from luxumburg, the worst defeat in our history.

And Halliday played his part in many embarrassing results so nah, simply can’t listen to Halliday slagging anyone from that period off.

Especially given the mentally challengeds were singing Hallidays name ffs

Are we not in danger of conflating Halliday the 'fan' with Halliday the 'ex-rangers player' ?

I'd expect ex-employees of the club to conduct themselves with more grace than he has. He's never dissed the institution but in this case both Ferguson and himself have come close to the line (in my eyes), if not crossed it.

I expect any ex-employee of rangers that is within the public eye and speaking to a public audience not to call any ex-manager a cnut

That's for fans to do! :-D

Thats not an excuse, so everybody from poorer areas act like that.
What generation would that be?
Durrant is hardly eloquent, Ian Ferguson, Derek Ferguson, Alan Hutton, Steven Naismith, John Fleck, Barrie Mckay, Allan Mcgregor......

All swear and use slang terms regularly dependent on the company that they are in and the situation.

Thats the theme of that podcast - the guests are real, its not club duty media that they have to speak proper English etc - its the way that they talk to their mates.

Boyd shouldn't be the benchmark for anything.
Anyway, Halliday also does stuff for Clyde, Radio Scotland and other pods.
Plenty of players have outside interests - particularly during Covid where there isnt the same freedom to do as you please, why not work after your training ends?
Or is this another Kyle Hutton - Nandos scenario where players are expected to train then go home ?

Another thread that shows how much of a shambles this forum has become.

Some scandalous comments from a bunch of self important insufferable bores.
I cant say stuff like that, need to be more tactful with criticism or face a breach of rules - but I wholeheartedly agree.

Are we not in danger of conflating Halliday the 'fan' with Halliday the 'ex-Rangers player' ?

I'd expect ex-employees of the club to conduct themselves with more grace than he has. He's never dissed the institution but in this case both Ferguson and himself have come close to the line (in my eyes), if not crossed it.

I expect any ex-employee of Rangers that is within the public eye and speaking to a public audience not to call any ex-manager a cnut

That's for fans to do! :-D
Call a manager a lady's front bottom? Are you english?

He said “5 months? We were all hoping it was 5 weeks to get rid of the cxnt!” whilst laughing, it was clearly a joke.

If you’re not from Glasgow, your post is more understandable, he isn’t saying it in a particulary derogatory manner. Its probably said in every other conversation between males in this city, and rarely ever in a bad way.

Listened to the whole show, it was another brilliant watch. It’s brilliant seeing a guy like Barry so relaxed.

Halliday probably shouldn’t have used the C word but I don’t think he meant to offend anyone.

I can’t believe some of the stuff written on here about 2 Rangers fans lucky enough to play for the club.
Duplicitous is the fan base - always has been, always will be.

They are doing a podcast where guys arent watching their language and speaking in proper English as they would when doing a club interview. The basis of that podcast is seeing these guests in their real form - and that is AH and BF there.

A lot of revision going on about Halliday recently.

Pedro was a disaster, no doubt about it.

Murty was an even bigger disaster IMO.

Halliday was a disaster of a player for us as well, you could count on one hand the amount of good performances from him in the top division.

Ferguson, legend as a player but only the simple would think him being a coach at Ibrox was a good idea.

Back