Andy King on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great player for depth when we suffer injuries and playing in Europe. Has a lot of experience playing in the PL. Great signing.

Dorrans is finished.

Weird signing TBH.

Not really, he was well involved in winning the Premier League a couple of seasons ago. Gerrard wants another midfielder and this lad will be better than anyone else he could buy in from Scotland...so, a good move to strengthen the squad until we can buy another very good midfielder for ourselves.

Really wish some of you lot would listen to the managers words before spouting crap about how its a strange signing or that certain players will leave now :rolleyes:

What's the deal with Brenda Rodgers doing us a favour? If he is a good player that is but he has played at a high level for a long time and at 30 is hardly past it so he must have something about him at least

Out of interest, why is it 'bizarre'?

tags it might shock you but King is a good player. He got a number of vital goals when Leicester won the league. If you have him on the right of mid 3, Aribo on the left and Jack or Davis as the sitting mid then we have options of attacking teams that defend. We would also have Kamara and Docherty as options also.

I don’t think Liverpool are going to give us Kent, so I think SG is happy with his options from wide and probably wants King to sort out our midfield attacking options.
With Ojo, Barker, Arfield and Jones as well as Hastie and Stewart he thinks they will compete for the two other wide attacking positions.

after this I can only see us signing a third striking option and possibly a left back. Some think Taylor isn’t good enough but I think he could do well at Rangers.

Weird signing, personally I don’t think we need him,but I’ll trust the gaffer as always,if he brings us 55 then I don’t give a flying %^*& about how many players we have in the squad lol.

Strange one this, not played too much football last season and not too sure we need another midfielder.

Really hope this means Holt and Dorrans are away though

Nice one OP btw

Strange one this, not played too much football last season and not too sure we need another midfielder.

Really hope this means Holt and Dorrans are away though

I think it’s a good signing .

His pedigree isn’t in doubt.

At 30 he could have 4 years left easily -and after this year he’s available on a bosman .

He’s a rare breed who can play the number 10- could interchange with Arfield but can also play midfield .

And to the OP- I believed you as it wasn’t the type of signing people would lie about as a wind up .

Many owe you an apology though :D

Just a good, solid (not in terms of aggression), hard working, experienced central midfielder who goes about his job without a fuss. Likes to makes clever runs, comfortable on the ball, can score a goal.

Won titles with Leicester, played in the Championship and Premiership, Champions League and has over 50 caps for Wales.

Was heavily linked with Chelsea a few years ago and you'll not hear any manager, player or supporter say a bad word about him. I've never read a bad article/blog about King and his time at Leicester.

Type of player you want in your dressing room - comes in, head down, trains hard, looks to impress, wants to plays, gives his all, job done...

You can see why Gerrard would be interested.

See whilst we are there, give us a left back as well :)

Don't think he is the type of midfielder we need tbh. We have enough goals in Aribo and Docherty, we need someone who can split a defence in half with one ball (Not wonderpass Allan)

dont know why people are saying yet another midfielder, we have 5 midfielders really

jack,davis,aribo,kamara and docherty

i wouldnt want haliday coming to play centre mid and arfield isnt a centre midfielder

plus we need a centre mid that is a goal threat and king is

Davis takes a knock and we don't have a player like him in reserve. King is a completely different player to our other options plus he's got experience.

Davis moves about the park with a touch here, a touch there, keeps the ball moving, moves into space, creates times for himself and rarely wastes a pass. Sort of what King would do. Doesn't roller into challenges, uses his brain and ability to dictate the pace of play. Comfortable under pressure, doesn't panic. That's how you boss a midfield.

I'd imagine King still has the legs to make those floating forward runs and he's got a goal in him - 60/70 odd from midfield in his career.

Part 2

King always will. Eventually, still mourning, he had to focus back on his career. Last January, with Puel still in charge, King had a chance to go to Nottingham Forest, Leicester’s rivals. “Forest are a great club, history, tradition, really good stadium, great fans, but I don’t think you can wear Leicester for so long, make all those memories, and then go and play for Forest. It was hard enough going to Derby (that January) because there’s a little rivalry there. Forest was always going to be a no, no.”
During his time away, Puel was dismissed, Rodgers installed and King has given everything in pre-season, even on holiday. “I went away with Matty James, his brother, and Jonny Evans came later in the week and we did some training in Portugal with one of the coaches from Leicester.
“The gaffer was in my hotel on holiday, came over for a chat, his wife came over and he brought his kid over - the kid just wanted to play in the kidzone and he got him over to say ‘hi’. The waitress came round, with a half of beer, and said, ‘Is this yours?’ I was chatting to the gaffer! I was going, ‘No it’s not mine!’ The gaffer said, ‘Go on, you can drink it!’ ‘No! It’s really not mine!’ He then sent a bottle of champagne over. He asked me back in pre-season whether I’d drunk it! No! I’d stuck it in my case to bring home.

“I’m enjoying working for him. He’s going to be really successful with the team. He’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever worked with in man-management, attention to detail, the way he sets up the sessions, how he wants his teams to play. It’s like with Frank at Derby, the gaffer is really good at that connection with players. He holds the room really well when he speaks, never really raises his voice but you can tell if he’s not happy with something.

“With the old manager I had no chance. With this manager, I’m going to give it everything because it will always be about wanting to play here. If he turns around and says, ‘you’re over 30, the club’s going in a new direction,’ then I will look at the options.

“Leicester are growing, an attractive proposition for any player in the world to come here. Leicester have the financial backing to buy who they want and push for European places. None of those players are going to want to play for the club as much as I am.”
He’s excited by the talent emerging. “I’ve known Hamza (Choudhury) and Barnesy (Harvey Barnes) since they were really young, and they’ve always been good. You see many who are good but fall by the wayside because their attitude is bad but those two have always listened and learned.”
And what of the man with the No 10 shirt? “Madders does listen. He’s a really good guy. He’s got a bit of swagger, so much natural ability, the stuff he can do with the ball is unbelievable. Madders is a beautiful footballer. The other two work at their game more than Madders because their game is a bit more about graft. With Barnesy it’s direct pace. With Hamza it’s pressing and tackling. Those young lads are going to have great careers as long as they keep doing what they’re doing at the moment.”
One of the main reasons for Leicester’s camaraderie is the ebullient club ambassador and legend Alan Birchenall. “You see him down the training ground, bubbly, chirpy. Great guy.

He keeps saying to me, ‘I’m still here, so it’s not your job yet!’ I saw the amount of work he has to do, bless him, he’s here, there and everywhere around town, I’m not sure I’m cut out for it! I am happy for him to keep that role for a few more years yet!”

Capped 50 times for Wales, King knows he needs regular football to help Ryan Giggs’ side pursue qualification for Euro 2020. He’s a huge admirer of Giggs. “He’s been so recently a player, worked under the greatest manager ever (Sir Alex Ferguson) and he’s taken the experiences from there into his own managerial career.”

As at Leicester, he can see the talent thrusting through. “Wales are going for the young, athletic style of player. Some of the attacking players we’ve got now, for the two wide positions and the No 10: Dan James, (David) Brooks, Harry Wilson, Tom Lawrence.

“I was with DJ (James) at Swansea and I remember one training session he chased back and caught Nathan Dyer (who’s quick) and I said, ‘Who’s that?!’ He’d been on loan at Shrewsbury and was just back, training with the lads, lovely kid, and he is rapid. I’m not really surprised someone like Manchester United have taken him on. If they get him on that big pitch, and isolate him against someone one-v-one, he’s showing anyone a new set of heels.”

And there’s always Gareth Bale. King shakes his head in disbelief at Bale’s impasse at Real Madrid. “If he’s in that situation God help everyone else who’s trying to be a professional footballer. Because if he isn’t good enough, then we’re all wasting our time.

“He’s won four Champions Leagues and he’s being phased out. If you pick the best attributes out of each player in this (Wales) squad, mould it into one, that’s basically him: speed, athleticism, professionalism, awareness, technique, lovely guy, loves coming away with the lads, friendly to everyone. With Wales, we have a pretty diverse squad, some in League One, some in the Champions League and he’s Real Madrid and he doesn’t see himself as above anyone else.’

Bale and King were vital in driving Wales to the semi-finals of the Euro 2016. “Chris Coleman’s man-management was brilliant, probably the best I’ve had, he created an atmosphere where you were devastated if you missed a trip. People would come down injured, and say, ‘Can I get treatment.’ The lads were so tight. The memories I have from that year, scoring when we won the Premier League (against Everton, the day the trophy was presented) and playing in the Euro semi-final, and memories of both sets of lads, will stay with me forever.”
Fu@ked if I'm reading that big man

An utterly bizarre signing, one which isn’t required IMO

Have never been impressed with him and I fail to see what he offers us.

Looks like we’ll be playing 60 games next year, I won’t be complaining about two good players in every position - we play a 3 man midfield - and King will be solid in Scotland.

Folk greeting about ‘why him and not Kent’ every time we’re linked with a player though - it’s fucking pathetic.

If we have designs on winning, experience of winning is a help. King was a part of a sensational win at Leicester. Offers a goal threat too.

If we end up playing Thur-Sun into New year, we need options, threats and reliability. Three bases covered here I would suggest

And I'll trust the manager's judgement, apart from 3 duds at the start of his tenure, he's proven fairly astute.

The squad depth we are building is unbelievable, players face a fight to even make the 18.

Not sure what to expect from King but he is very experienced at a high level and is at an age where he could offer a lot if we get him fully fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back