Andy Penman lifts the Cup in Inverness

I really liked Andy Penman. Great passer of the ball and he could shoot.
A fantastic accurate kicker of a dead ball (Newcastle aside) one of my favourites back in the day.

I believe it was a toss of the coin between Andy & Conn for the ECWC final ??

I'm pretty sure I was at this game as a wee kid, in that stand behind. Andy was a good mate of my father's when he was at Caley, I used to have a photo of him and me playing football in my garden when I was 4 or 5.

I recognise a few in that pic. Bill Main extreme left was the manager, John Docherty extreme right was like a slower Socrates in midfield. Roddy Davidson, on Billy Urquhart's left, was a marauding full back, hard as nails.

Found this online.
Andy Penman lifts, I think, the North of Scotland Cup for Inverness Caledonian around 1973-5 or so.
Who's standing looking on, but a young Billy Urquhart, who went on to be the the Rangers legend that he is.
Good pic, OP, but, " a young Billy Urquhart, who went on to be the the Rangers legend that he is." is taking tongue in cheek a bit too far...

I'm pretty sure I was at this game as a wee kid, in that stand behind. Andy was a good mate of my father's when he was at Caley, I used to have a photo of him and me playing football in my garden when I was 4 or 5.

I recognise a few in that pic. Bill Main extreme left was the manager, John Docherty extreme right was like a slower Socrates in midfield. Roddy Davidson, on Billy Urquhart's left, was a marauding full back, hard as nails.
Gordon Fyfe bottom right, who claimed his grandfather was on Rangers books ended up a journalist with Alex Main.
I could well be just out of shot in that picture as my old pal Ken Thomson is the face right above Main. I went to plenty Caley games with him.
He ended up on the board of ICT, sadly passed away last year.

Great picture and brings back memories of Andy as a Ranger. Cultured midfielder who had a huge influence in our successful ECWC campaign. Battled his illness bravely for years whilst playing at the highest level and sadly taken from us far too soon. I remember being shocked by the news of his death. Thanks for the memories AP.

RIP Andy.

I remember having Billy on my wall in a Poster from the Rangers news or a programme. He was wearing the white away pinstripe top in it - was just before we got sponsors (CR Smith)

Gordon Fyfe bottom right, who claimed his grandfather was on Rangers books ended up a journalist with Alex Main.
I could well be just out of shot in that picture as my old pal Ken Thomson is the face right above Main. I went to plenty Caley games with him.
He ended up on the board of ICT, sadly passed away last year.

Alex Main! Dunno where I got Bill from, I’ll blame old age. :))
I’m sure I know the guy to his right too, with the hair. Can’t think of his name.

Back