Anelka - Netflix Documentary

Was it not his brother or brothers who did the misleading? Getting him to cause it so he’d be sold other than request a transfer and lose money?

Was it not his brother or brothers who did the misleading? Getting him to cause it so he’d be sold other than request a transfer and lose money?
yeah he wanted to stay at Liverpool because he loved it and felt comfortable but houllier was pissed at his brothers were shopping him around so didn't make the move permanent

yeah he wanted to stay at Liverpool because he loved it and felt comfortable but houllier was pissed at his brothers were shopping him around so didn't make the move permanent
Were his brothers hangers on? I’ll need to watch it, I remember him bursting on the scene for Arsenal, was some player!

brilliant watch, very misrepresented as well as being misunderstood imo

I thought he came across like a spoilt child. Every major issue in his career seems to be because someone “spoke to him the wrong way”. Even when staying at Liverpool was his dream move he was quite happy to let his brothers try and find him more cash elsewhere.

Just couldn’t handle it when he didn’t like something, is the feeling I had When I watched this earlier today.

what he achieved at such a young age at Arsenal was incredible.

that whole situation with France at the World Cup was just mental. Anelka had the backing of all the players for what happened.

A very unpleasant and self centred young man.
Found it difficult to find any redeeming factors about him watching this earlier.
Was good at football and his wife is a stunner neither of which are excuses.

Should have been a great but wasn’t, happens to some players because of injury but in his case was down to attitude

I liked the documentary but can't say he came out of it that well... As said above he is very quick to blame others for his own failings and just comes across as a spoilt brat.

Racked up some amount of transfer fees in his time boy had more clubs than Tiger Woods

I’m still in two minds about him after watching it.

Like that he stood up for himself at Madrid as a young guy up against one of the great football institutions when he felt mistreated.

But at the same time this was obviously meant to be a puff piece sanctioned by him and yet he still came across as a spoilt brat at times.

Good viewing. Comes across as a decent guy, and actually someone with values despite what was said about him. Listening to his teamates, he doesn't seem as self centred as the media potrayed him.

Heard about this & just didn’t want to watch it as he came across as a massive prick & I had an irrational feeling of hate towards him.
Worth a watch though?

Enjoyed it but I will watch anything about football
Possibly the most one sided documentary I have seen
No interviews with any of the many people who had problems with him and no difficult questions put to him
He had something like 13 clubs in his career and only managed 100 games at one of them
He surely had some issue that caused this but based on this film it was everyone else's fault
But he's retired, still very fit, has a beautiful wife and apparently enjoying his millionaire lifestyle in Dubai so hardly a failure

It tells you all you need to know when your mates are constantly having to say that he’s misunderstood, he’s not like that etc...
He came across as a precious, spoilt brat when things didn’t go his way. It was always the fault manager, the chairman, his “inferior” team mates, everyone bar himself, he was a prick to be honest.
One thing I will say in his defence is that he came across as a guy who is dedicated to his family.

I liked him as a player , but hought he came across dreadfully in this.
Completely self obsessed with a perennial victim-complex. Nothing was ever his fault.

He was some striker in his day but definitely a coward in terms of stepping up to the plate when it mattered. Bottled it out of many penalty shootouts in his time and when he did step up for Chelsea, he hit a shocker.

It was a good watch, but the guys is a prick. He had issues at most clubs and it was always someone else’s fault. The carry on at Madrid and almost chucking it before he started cause he couldn’t get a seat in the dressing room was pathetic.

Felt he came across as spoiled, entitled, self serving and selfish.

His only saving grace for me was he got it right up Steve Clark.

I have just finished watching it.

I am always a bit suspicious when someone manages to fall out with so many people/clubs but never be at fault.

He was a hell of a striker though

Might give it a watch, but to be honest I don’t even need to watch it to know he’s a complete and utter fanny. As someone else said he had issues with nearly every club he played for and that’s not likely to be a coincidence.

Talent wise he was a hell of a player though, and crazy good when he was a young player at Arsenal. I’m sure at one point he said his favourite spell at a club was with Liverpool because they were the best fit for him. Maybe he wasn’t there long enough (it was a loan deal) to piss them off.

I watched this last night.

he comes across as a devoted family man, someone who has principles and sticks to them- in his personal life.
Football and career wise- he comes across as a complete bell end.
Nothing was ever his fault. he keeps using the phrase ' i am not going to be a victim' . he seems to think that by instigating the strife that means he cannot be the victim?
All the bust ups, not one was his fault!!
He does admit going to madrid too soon and it looks like he was treated badly by the other players there at the time- glacticos felt threatened by a new young star.

Says he wanted to stay at Liverpool but Houllier says his brothers were hawking him around Europe at the same time. Anelka himself defends his brothers and says they never did anything in his career without his say so!!!!
French team in south africa - Fine, the team was playing crap but you follow the instructions of the coach - Not Nico!!!

He seems to have mellowed a bit and admits he took the wrong path career wise.
Bit of a wasted talent.

Bit of a puff piece.

Had all the talent but could never get on with any clubs. Of course it was 8 clubs and his countries fault.

Were his brothers hangers on? I’ll need to watch it, I remember him bursting on the scene for Arsenal, was some player!
Didn’t his brother end up owning - and making a complete mess of - Raith Rovers at one time in the early 2000s?

May even have been the guy to bring over and introduce Novo to Scottish football

Didn’t his brother end up owning - and making a complete mess of - Raith Rovers at one time in the early 2000s?

May even have been the guy to bring over and introduce Novo to Scottish football
That rings a bell. Not sure about Novo right enough.

Watched first half last night....everything was someone else's fault while he was always on the side of right and justice.

Watched it, quite enjoyed it. Was quite obviously one sided in trying to make him come across as a misunderstood man of principal as opposed to the walloper the general public think him to be. If anything I think he seemed like an even bigger walloper by the end. Nothing ever his fault. Very good player. Big fanny.

I thought it was terrible.

A very talented player who had issues at almost every club he was at, none his fault, and bleated on about being disrespected.

Gorgeous wife and lives a life of luxury with a fairly bizarre career behind him.

Back