Anestis Argyriou

Who was worse after out of interest?

I genuinely think he’s the worst player I’ve ever seen in our jersey.
There was as equally piss poor players on big wages; Black, Kyle, Sandaza, Hutton... The first 3 years coming back had squads full of over paid shite. Cribari was another one, huge wages for the league he was in and you'd be forgiven for thinking he has never played football.

There was as equally piss poor players on big wages; Black, Kyle, Sandaza, Hutton... The first 3 years coming back had squads full of over paid shite. Cribari was another one, huge wages for the league he was in and you'd be forgiven for thinking he has never played football.

In a purely footballing sense none of those mentioned were as bad as the Greek RB but I do take your point re wages and their contribution.

We really did have some utter dross on the books at that time.

In a purely footballing sense none of those mentioned were as bad as the Greek RB but I do take your point re wages and their contribution.

We really did have some utter dross on the books at that time.
I know mate the signing strategy (assuming there was 1) saw players like Witkorski and Stella arrive and they never even played 1 game. Wasn't all Allys fault but jesus we signed some absolute shite.

At least Hutton was a youth product.

The fact we actively signed the rest on big wages, given what we’d been through, was madness. I still struggle to take anything McCoist says seriously after that.

He's the worst player I've seen wear the jersey, genuinely can't believe he got a game.
Ww have came a long way from the dark days

Dunno why people need to throw this "worst ever" doublet in at every second opportunity.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/worst#etymonline_v_10854

Maybe you actually mean it, but I guess neither you nor anyone else throwing the words about have seen all Rangers players since 1872 ... or can even remember all of those last 2 decades for that matter.

IMHO, most of the guys we got came here and gave their all, even though "their all" was not what we (living in a somewhat peculiar and lofty world of the Rangers FC support) expect from a "Rangers player", no matter where we were back then. I reckon some sure came for the fame of having played for Rangers FC and/or the money, but they came when scores of others turned us down, not least dozens of (so-called) Rangers supporters amongst the Scottish players.

When you check Willie Vass' Glasgow Rangers - The Journey you will find plenty of names now long (and possibly best) forgotten, yet unless these chaps turned crackbrained like Kyle Hutton, I'll thank them for helping us in times no-one else would and got us back where we belong.
Can you name me a worse player who regularly played games for us in the last 20 years? Bearing in mind the level of opposition we were up against in the Third Division.

I disagree with the premise that the players we had "gave their all". They were getting a good SPL wage in the lower leagues and the vast majority of them had the professionalism of lower league players.

I was more disappointed with Emilson Cribari a centre back who was bossing it at Lazio a few years before we got him so much so that Walter enquired about him before he left and he couldn't header a ball away at tannadice in the first minute and looked like he could hardly move

I was scanning the thread looking for this guy to be mentioned. Couldn’t remember his name but remembered the Lazio chat and someone signing him for £4 million at some point.

Christ he was dog shit.

Seeing someone reference Kyle Hutton above....I just googled him to see what he’s been up to.

In the “people also search for” bit the first name is “Callum Gallagher“. 5 appearances and 1 goal for Rangers 2013-15. I genuinely have no idea who that is. His name and face haven’t even registered a flicker in my memory.

Seeing someone reference Kyle Hutton above....I just googled him to see what he’s been up to.

In the “people also search for” bit the first name is “Callum Gallagher“. 5 appearances and 1 goal for Rangers 2013-15. I genuinely have no idea who that is. His name and face haven’t even registered a flicker in my memory.
Gallagher looked half decent for us from the little I remember. Think there was a lot of clamour from the fans for him to get more games.

Can you name me a worse player who regularly played games for us in the last 20 years? Bearing in mind the level of opposition we were up against in the Third Division.

I disagree with the premise that the players we had "gave their all". They were getting a good SPL wage in the lower leagues and the vast majority of them had the professionalism of lower league players.
Faure was worse surely. Looked like some guy we found at a burger van outside Ibrox.

The Greek guy at least had a bit of pedigree at first team level. Played a couple of seasons at Greece and then was signed by AEK until they went bust.

To think that he kept a youngster from being blooded. Even made Andy Mitchell look like a genuine prospect.

Interesting to note that he was apparently part of Craig Mather’s stable. That would explain a lot. And on that score, I don’t think that we will ever get to know what really went on behind the scenes during those dark days.

Gallagher looked half decent for us from the little I remember. Think there was a lot of clamour from the fans for him to get more games.

Looking at his twitter profile now though, I'd say playing for Rangers didn't...come naturally to him, shall we say.

MccCoists judgement of players was terrible wasnt it.

I'll never forgive him for his spell in charge put to the back burner the behind the scenes stuff he had a massive budget especially in the lower leagues and spunked every penny on some of the worst players to ever to play for the club.

His management, formation/tactics and our style of play was horrific and there was no journey in my eyes it was a torturous experience near enough every single game watching proven shite regular embarass us throughout every division while he stood with his arms folded on the touchline not having a clue what to do.

I could go on but he's an embarrassment.

Last edited:
He came at a time when the club was chucked down to the bottom tier with no scouting department and slapped with a transfer embargo. I don't know what people were expecting, obviously we weren't going to sign players on a par with who we signed when we were a stable club in the top division winning titles. Blaming it on the manager is rank stupidity.

He came at a time when the club was chucked down to the bottom tier with no scouting department and slapped with a transfer embargo. I don't know what people were expecting, obviously we weren't going to sign players on a par with who we signed when we were a stable club in the top division winning titles. Blaming it on the manager is rank stupidity.
If the manager was forced or pressured to sign and play him, then yes, blaming McCoist is questionable at best. But Super can’t be absolved of blame for some of his horrendous decisions, and believe it or not, I cut him a fair amount of slack for working under conditions that no Rangers manager has had to endure before or since.

The Greek lad looked like an amateur who got lucky. One of the worst from that era but there were several others nearly as bad.

Not quite sure why the names of these players keep getting dragged up. He wasn't very good but the flip side is whether or you like it or jot, he was partof the recovery. We like to portray ourselves so well but can't help slating players who came to play. Done something none of us have.
I seen him play against Berwick Rangers and he was shite. We drew 1-1 that day. Depressing as hell.

I’ve never understood this joyful and nostalgic look back at “the recovery” and thinking each player was a sacred part of something special
. Absolutely mental.
Its hardly joyful or nostalgic. The period we talk of was fkn horrible. We know he was pish. Bit time after time we get this kind of thread with posters trying to out do each other with reasons why he was pish, ending in abuse. Its pretty pathetic, he came, he played, thanks for the season.

Let’s be honest McCoist took over a league and cup winning team and thought signing Ortiz, Bedoya, Matt McKay and Celik were going to improve the team.

He also spent a huge percentage of his budget bringing in a left back when in Papac we had one of the most consistently good players of the previous 5 seasons.

Defending his signing policy is mental.

He came at a time when the club was chucked down to the bottom tier with no scouting department and slapped with a transfer embargo. I don't know what people were expecting, obviously we were going to sign players on a par with who we signed when we were a stable club in the top division winning titles. Blaming it on the manager is rank stupidity.
That problem was McCoist’s, not the majority of the supporters.

We should have been aiming lower, or certainly more sensible, than players with AEK Athens and Lazio on their CV.

No harm to the guy, but I couldn't fathom the need to go to Greece to sign a guy who was was genuinely atrocious. Clearly a signing where we were offered him by an agent, we watched a 5 min YouTube video. We looked at his CV and saw AEK and concluded that he can't be that bad.

Fairly sure Mather brokered the "deal" and another chunk of our money disappeared abroad

Let’s be honest McCoist took over a league and cup winning team and thought signing Ortiz, Bedoya, Matt McKay and Celik were going to improve the team.

He also spent a huge percentage of his budget bringing in a left back when in Papac we had one of the most consistently good players of the previous 5 seasons.

Defending his signing policy is mental.

I didn't defend his signing policy just put it in context when we were in the lowest league. We didn't have a squad, the youth players apart from 2 or 3 at a push would never be good enough and we were operating within the constraints of a transfer embargo. Obviously the bargain basement guys we brought in weren't up there with the title winning/challenging squads we were all used to.

Nor am I defending him as a manager. He wasn't cut out for management at all and it showed. There...you happy?

That problem was McCoist’s, not the majority of the supporters.

We should have been aiming lower, or certainly more sensible, than players with AEK Athens and Lazio on their CV.

The problem was years and years of reckless spending leading to administration and beyond and getting wrenched out of the top league and cast down to division 3. People talk about our worst team ever as if it could have been anything else. Obviously we had our worst team ever in division 3, how could it not be?

Scores the second in a 2-0 home win over dunfermline late on in the 14/15 season iirc.

If the manager was forced or pressured to sign and play him, then yes, blaming McCoist is questionable at best. But Super can’t be absolved of blame for some of his horrendous decisions, and believe it or not, I cut him a fair amount of slack for working under conditions that no Rangers manager has had to endure before or since.

The Greek lad looked like an amateur who got lucky. One of the worst from that era but there were several others nearly as bad.

We were forced to sign Bosmans, available immediately and willing to play in Scotland's 4th teir. It's hardly a galloping shock that most of them weren't very good.

I didn't defend his signing policy just put it in context when we were in the lowest league. We didn't have a squad, the youth players apart from 2 or 3 at a push would never be good enough and we were operating within the constraints of a transfer embargo. Obviously the bargain basement guys we brought in weren't up there with the title winning/challenging squads we were all used to.

Nor am I defending him as a manager. He wasn't cut out for management at all and it showed. There...you happy?

I have probably bored folk to death of it on here but I’ll tell it again. I was neighbours with the then St Mirren vice chairman at the time who actually did know a bit about football.

I told him I was a bit worried about going into the third division without a squad. His exact words were our under 19 team were good enough to win both the third and second divisions comfortably. The championship however was a different ball game.

Whilst we were scouting Europe and picking up journeymen we could have been trying for the likes of Andy Robertson.

Faure seems to be getting a load of stick here. At the time he was the right type of signing - a 21 year old just released from Lyon who made over 10 caps for France U20s. It was ambitious, and it certainly did not work out, but he was far from the worst in that 3 season period. Much more time for him compared to frauds like Black and Sandaza who genuinely just bled the club dry with huge wages and pay offs.

I have probably bored folk to death of it on here but I’ll tell it again. I was neighbours with the then St Mirren vice chairman at the time who actually did know a bit about football.

I told him I was a bit worried about going into the third division without a squad. His exact words were our under 19 team were good enough to win both the third and second divisions comfortably. The championship however was a different ball game.

Whilst we were scouting Europe and picking up journeymen we could have been trying for the likes of Andy Robertson.
Robertson shouldn’t have been entertained. I’ll credit McCoist with rating him in the third division, but knowing full well that he probably wouldn’t sign because of the way he was brought up and not because he was an rc per se.

The under 19 team didn't even win the under 19 league in 11/12 or 13/14 so that's just nonsense. Plus, a lot of the youths visibly wilted under the pressure of playing for the first team, Kane Hemmings, for example, said as much stating that McCoist gave him a chance and believed in him but he let himself down because he was so nervous - which is an aspect that people completely ignore when stating that we should have built a team of swashbuckling youths. The only one who really excelled was MacLeod and he was punted at the first opportunity.

The under 19 team didn't even win the under 19 league in 11/12 or 13/14 so that's just nonsense. Plus, a lot of the youths visibly wilted under the pressure of playing for the first team, Kane Hemmings, for example, said as much stating that McCoist gave him a chance and believed in him but he let himself down because he was so nervous - which is an aspect that people completely ignore when stating that we should have built a team of swashbuckling youths. The only one who really excelled was MacLeod and he was punted at the first opportunity.
Agreed. That bollocks about youth teams walking the lower leagues is preposterous. McCoist overstated its impact in his strategy though. I’d take most quips to come out of the St Mirren boardroom with the requisite amount of salt, i.e. a sh1tload!

What kind of flawed logic is that ? Only a roaster would try comparing apples with pears. So we wouldn’t win the Irish league because we didn’t win our league.

Crazy talk.

The majority of our under 19s from the 2011 season played in the third division winning team.

Were Hemings comments not after a Champions League qualifier we lost to Malmo when in the SPL ? And not playing in the 3rd division, he was out injured for almost that entire season.

Agreed. That bollocks about youth teams walking the lower leagues is preposterous. McCoist overstated its impact in his strategy though. I’d take most quips to come out of the St Mirren boardroom with the requisite amount of salt, i.e. a sh1tload!

Aye that is right you can’t win anything with kids, nae bother Hansen.

I’ve never understood this joyful and nostalgic look back at “the recovery” and thinking each player was a sacred part of something special
. Absolutely mental.
At a time when we should’ve been bleeding in Scottish youngsters to the side we were filling the squad with tripe like Argyriou who trousered a wage from the club. It’s not his fault, it’s the management at the time for giving him a contract.

I honestly wonder if 17 or 18 year old academy boys would’ve done any worse than some of that shower. We had some stinking results that year so its not like they were blowing teams away

Back