Anestis Argyriou

Blue Tack

I’ve a cheek even posting that ,utterly forgettable.

Came across his name today ,i can remember willing this guy to be good ,one week it’ll all click ,it never did .

Never forget where we’ve came from ....

Released by us and ended up going to Poland and his team went bust. Ended up in the Cypriot Premier then Greek Division 3 and 4 among others

I do remember thinking "he's come from AEK Athens academy. He must be half decent" before seeing him.
I actually worked with a Greek boy at the time who'd come through OFI Crete and couldn't believe such a talent had joined us in the lower leagues!

He said Argyriou was easily one the best players he'd come up against.

Not quite sure why the names of these players keep getting dragged up. He wasn't very good but the flip side is whether or you like it or jot, he was partof the recovery. We like to portray ourselves so well but can't help slating players who came to play. Done something none of us have.
I’ve never understood this joyful and nostalgic look back at “the recovery” and thinking each player was a sacred part of something special
. Absolutely mental.

No harm to the guy, but I couldn't fathom the need to go to Greece to sign a guy who was was genuinely atrocious. Clearly a signing where we were offered him by an agent, we watched a 5 min YouTube video. We looked at his CV and saw AEK and concluded that he can't be that bad.

Admin, please erase this from the site, from my memories and from the history books! Shudder thinking about our team not so long ago

He wasn’t the greatest, but there’s been far more players worthy of the “worst Ranger” title than him (Østenstad or Barton, perhaps?). The foreign lads that helped us on our journey; it wasn’t their fault that we were in the 3rd division and were only able to sign players of their level, nor was it their fault that we gave them bumper contracts to bring them to Scotland and play in the 3rd division. They represented us and are part of that journey, so deserve some respect. What’s big Seb Faure up to these days?

No harm to the guy, but I couldn't fathom the need to go to Greece to sign a guy who was was genuinely atrocious. Clearly a signing where we were offered him by an agent, we watched a 5 min YouTube video. We looked at his CV and saw AEK and concluded that he can't be that bad.

This.

However, I think we underestimate how difficult it was to get players in for SFL3 - not just the extremely poor level of football but some would be worried if the club would get back off the ground financially.

We thank them for their service at a bleak hour and we move on.

I’m not kidding when I say that I reckon some of us in the stands could have done a better job than he did at times. A period of my footballing life I desperately need to erase from my memory.

He wasn't particularly good beforehand, but his form was abysmal after he missed the penalty against QotS.

He could quite possibly be our worst player ever.
I was more disappointed with Emilson Cribari a centre back who was bossing it at Lazio a few years before we got him so much so that Walter enquired about him before he left and he couldn't header a ball away at tannadice in the first minute and looked like he could hardly move

I was more disappointed with Emilson Cribari a centre back who was bossing it at Lazio a few years before we got him so much so that Walter enquired about him before he left and he couldn't header a ball away at tannadice in the first minute and looked like he could hardly move
Cribari was a strange one. I couldn't believe how poor he was considering where he came from and his pedigree. A player who, on paper, you would be excited about signing now. As i said above, doing proper research on a player is important, but you would have thought this guy was a no brainer.

he was signed because he was on Craig Mathers books I’m sure. Same with seb faure

Cribari was a strange one. I couldn't believe how poor he was considering where he came from and his pedigree. A player who, on paper, you would be excited about signing now. As i said above, doing proper research on a player is important, but you would have thought this guy was a no brainer.

42 games for us in the lower leagues 6 foot 3 and never scored a goal for us yet folk on here are wanting Goldson to be scoring every time he goes up for a set piece.

I was in the club deck for a game & some twat in a camel coat walking up the steps on the way to his seat was booing as his name in the team was read out.
I was thinking what chance has he got - he's not even on the pitch yet FFS.

Along with Cribari, they were the type of signings that were completely indicative of McCoist’s thinking at the time. Just absurd that these type of players even crossed his mind as signings that would help us at that level. Unnecessary and it was never going to work out for them. With that in mind, they (especially Cribari) are up there with the very worst we’ve ever signed.

He could quite possibly be our worst player ever.

Dunno why people need to throw this "worst ever" doublet in at every second opportunity.

Old English wyrresta, from Proto-Germanic *wers-ista- (source also of Old Saxon wirsista, Old Norse verstr, Old Frisian wersta, Old High German wirsisto), superlative of PIE *wers- (1) "to confuse, mix up" (see war (n.)). Phrase in the worst way (1839) is from American English sense of "most severely." The adverb is Old English wyrst; the noun, "that which is most evil or bad," is from late 14c.

ever (adv.)
Old English æfre "ever, at any time, always;" of uncertain origin, no cognates in any other Germanic language; perhaps a contraction of a in feore, literally "ever in life" (the expression a to fore is common in Old English writings). First element is almost certainly related to Old English a "always, ever," from Proto-Germanic *aiwi-, extended form of PIE root *aiw- "vital force, life; long life, eternity." Liberman suggests second element is comparative adjectival suffix -re.

Sometimes contracted to e'er in dialect and poetry. Ever began to be used in late Old English as a way to generalize or intensify when, what, where, etc. The sense evolution was from "at any time at all, in any way" to "at any particular time; at some time or another; under any circumstances." Ever so "to whatever extent" is recorded by 1680s. Expression did you ever? (implying "see/do/hear of such a thing") attested by 1840.

Maybe you actually mean it, but I guess neither you nor anyone else throwing the words about have seen all Rangers players since 1872 ... or can even remember all of those last 2 decades for that matter.

IMHO, most of the guys we got came here and gave their all, even though "their all" was not what we (living in a somewhat peculiar and lofty world of the Rangers FC support) expect from a "Rangers player", no matter where we were back then. I reckon some sure came for the fame of having played for Rangers FC and/or the money, but they came when scores of others turned us down, not least dozens of (so-called) Rangers supporters amongst the Scottish players.

When you check Willie Vass' Glasgow Rangers - The Journey you will find plenty of names now long (and possibly best) forgotten, yet unless these chaps turned crackbrained like Kyle Hutton, I'll thank them for helping us in times no-one else would and got us back where we belong.

Back