Postecoglou at Spurs

Imagine having a £billion stadium and hiring a manager based on how he does in Scotland :))
He was found out by European teams straight away, you'd think Spurs would have paid more attention to that.
Agree with this particularly re European fixtures where he was really schooled but is it fair to say he has had injury problems at Spurs this calendar year and it’s a big part of the points being won .
Newcastle have similar issues .

Sitting 5th and ahead of Man Utd, Newcastle and Chelsea.

Villa are probably the shock team this season but I think Spurs are exactly where they should be or even slightly ahead.

In short - I don’t think he’s done a bad job and will 100% get next season (unless he has a terrible start)
It’s all well and good mentioning that but I honestly think Newcastle, Man United and Chelsea will only improve next season to where Spurs will drop further playing that utterly naive brand of football

I don't think he's done that bad tbh

Where are Tottenham supposed to finish? Villa have had an outstanding season with a terrific manager, and spurs lost Madison at a crucial time who was key to how they played.

Someone will tell me how much he's spent but i don't think it will be the same as some clubs.

For a club adjusting to the loss of Harry kane who basically was Tottenham for years, he's done alright

Taking my dislike of the big fat %^*& out of the equation, what exactly are Spurs meant to achieve that’s much better than fifth in the league?

Champions League qualification at least. They were in the final not too long ago. But I think the concern for Spurs fans is the decline after a flash-in-the-pan start.

Reactions: VGM
Champions League qualification at least. They were in the final not too long ago. But I think the concern for Spurs fans is the decline after a flash-in-the-pan start.
Tbf I don't think anyone expected Champions League from Spurs coming into the season. Pretty sure pre-season consensus was outside top 6 or relegation from a lot of pundits (not that they know much lol)

He's a pretentious, obnoxious bastard who managed Celtic. Many reasons to dislike the guy.

Got lucky at Celtic in that he had the referees on his side, we lost Gerrard, GvB crumbled and we appointed Beale.

Thought he was the mutts nuts after wins at Luton and Crystal Palace. Celebrated like Champions. Weeks later and his Tottenham side were out of the title race.

His sides cannot defend - what are the stats, nearly 2 games conceded per game and 22/24 goals conceded from a set piece this season. Praised for his attacking style but that long gone out the window. Their play in the final third is chronic.

Tottenham fans are now realizing what he really is. A mediocre manager that cannot set up a team for the demands of English Premiership football, gaps all over the park, inability to play a high press and no shouting about stop passing it back will cover that up. It won't be long before he cracks in front of the media - the English media are on a completely different level to the ones up here. They can sense Postecoglou is about to snap and they will poke him until he finally does.

He'll have a rant and rave over the summer/start of next season, Tottenham will start the season poorly and he will be bagged.

With the squad they have they are higher than they should be imo.

6th or 7th best squad I reckon.

Their CL run was a total anomoly with various chunks of luck factored in across their journey.

Hes actually done rather well, look at their League position compared to where they were.

His problem is being unable to handle pressure or articulate himself when under duress - that will be his undoing because hes now coming across as unlikeable where hed previously been well received.

A smarter operator would see this rough patch through but he could be on a slow slide out the door.

Away to the best Home team in the EPL this weekend to make it another defeat......

It's a rather sad state of affairs for Chelsea, if getting beat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge is being classed as a bad result. Chelsea had a big tifo of Connor Gallagher last night saying, one of our own. That guy who breaks all the signings on SM, Fabrizo Romano, posted a pic of Connor Gallagher when he was about 7 or 8 holding a Chelsea shirt. Our very own, Dujon Sterling was in the picture as well. He looks the exact same, not changed a bit.

I always expected spurs to be about where he has them tbh, they sold Kane at the start of the season and never really replaced him. Was always going to be a big miss. I would imagine next season they will be pushing for top 4.

With the squad they have they are higher than they should be imo.

6th or 7th best squad I reckon.

Their CL run was a total anomoly with various chunks of luck factored in across their journey.

that SHOULD be the case
but with the hilarous season Chelsea and Man Utd have had
4th should have been attainable

who was it they were playing in the early part of the season when they had (I think) a man sent off and were getting scudded but still spent the rest of the game holding their defensive line on the halfway line?

Absolutely absurd and hilarious in equal measures

Chelsea is my secomd team and a win against Ange just could not be better. Considering Chelsea have a terrible defence it shows that the fat mans fast attacking football is failing. Ange will end up in the Championship down there then disappear.

I really don't know where some of our punters get the deep down hate for the guy. Did a job and moved onto a better one and didn't pander to the Greatest Club In The World shite.
Thought I was the only one!
Not saying i like him, but have grudging respect for the way he came in to Scotland as an unknown. Was roundly mocked and after a couple months, some tims wanted him binned. Stuck to his guns, turned it round and , if brutally honest, completely rag dolled the whole of Scottish football.

I do get the one trick pony thing though, as he was seriously found out in Europe.

I think the start to the season down there, losing kane late on, multiple injuries is now having a major effect at the back end of the season.

he will get some money to spend in the summer and be judged by christmas. Top 4 is the trophy for Spurs though, so hes not far off it.

And , hopefully he can beat City:D

I agree, I'm surprised he's got this long without being found out.

I thought he'd struggle after a good start and not see out the season, think his press conferences are showing he's feeling pressure now.
Is he looking down at his shoes again?

They were good for 3 or 4 months and since then have been poor for the rest of the season. Unless they spend big money in the summer they will struggle next season, squad looks very average compared to the other top 4 teams.

That’s what I think as well. They are fucking Spurs.
I like to have a look at their forum and some of them were saying he can’t handle a big club like Spurs, they really are fucking deluded. Without the EPL money spurs would be a nothing club.
Tottenham are a massive club and play to 60k every week, despite being perennial underachievers and winning very little.

His whole 'listen mate' schtick is incredibly tiresome, I think a lot of folk down south are wise to it and him now.

I can't stand the fat melt but he's done well down there, he lost one of the worlds top strikers which hindered him and Spurs massively, 5th place is about right for them, just a couple of weeks ago they were right in contention for Champions League.

I think it’s fairly simple. “Angeball” is a bit of a myth that was always going to get found out and come undone anywhere he didn’t have the best resources and better squad than all the opposition.

As synthetically admirable as “just always attack” football sounds, there’s a reason why tactics are a thing and being dynamic and adaptable is a necessity.

Seems Spurs fans are running low on patience with his refusal to change or address repeatedly exposed problems (naively high defensive line, horrendous at defending set pieces).

He’ll either have to adapt or he’ll be toast.

I think it’s fairly simple. “Angeball” is a bit of a myth that was always going to get found out and come undone anywhere he didn’t have the best resources and better squad than all the opposition.

As synthetically admirable as “just always attack” football sounds, there’s a reason why tactics are a thing and being dynamic and adaptable is a necessity.

Seems Spurs fans are running low on patience with his refusal to change or address repeatedly exposed problems (naively high defensive line, horrendous at defending set pieces).

He’ll either have to adapt or he’ll be toast.
He's already said he'll never change his style of play.

who was it they were playing in the early part of the season when they had (I think) a man sent off and were getting scudded but still spent the rest of the game holding their defensive line on the halfway line?

Chelsea

2 men down against a rapid front 3 and he still has them set up to defend the half way line
normal managers would set up to see out the draw

Chelsea. Sure there were 4/5 goals also ruled out by VAR, both sides had 2 at least.

It’s almost like you get fans on side with sound bites and saying mate to say you are a breath of fresh air and to buy you time.

Taking my dislike of the big fat %^*& out of the equation, what exactly are Spurs meant to achieve that’s much better than fifth in the league?
Isn't it outwith the realms of possibility that they can challenge for cups and push to be in the top 4 of the league? They should have been able to challenge Aston Villa for that this season.

West Ham and Villa can go on great runs in Europe. Granted Spurs didn't qualify for this season but they should be able to do so most seasons and go deep in the competitions regularly.

I think 99% of people on this forum anyway predicted what would happen, he plays a good style of football and it worked at Celtic because his players were better than the majority of the league so they could steam roll teams and give up chances knowing the opposition probably wouldn't take them but in the premiership you can't play like that against everyone, earlier in the season v Chelsea the amount of times Chelsea breached their high defence then somehow screwed it up was crazy should have been about 8 or 9 to Chelsea.

His one style was always going to be worked out at that level, would reckon he'll be off by end of 2024/2025

What I would say about Tottenham is, 5th place challenging for 4th is kind of their level. Their 2nd place finish and CL final were one offs that can happen. So in that sense, he's done about as well as he could have done. Perhaps could have done better in the cups however they did draw Man City in the 4th round of the FA Cup I think it was

Last edited:
Isn't it outwith the realms of possibility that they can challenge for cups and push to be in the top 4 of the league? They should have been able to challenge Aston Villa for that this season.

West Ham and Villa can go on great runs in Europe. Granted Spurs didn't qualify for this season but they should be able to do so most seasons and go deep in the competitions regularly.

FWIW, I agree with this on here saying he could perhaps perform better if he was more pragmatic in games. Just don’t think Spurs have any real right to cry and whine when they are fifth in league when all is said and done. I thought they’d be about 8th under the fat man and his one trick pony tactics. Better managers haven’t had them doing a whole lot better in the league.

5th/6th is probably about right for spurs ...

in a normal historical season you would have had Chelsea and Man U - also challenging for 4th and 5th - you normally wouldn't have had Villa doing so well - so not really sure he is doing worse than expected.

he has signed some decent players - van de ven / Vicario / Maddison / Dragusin and Johnson all good players

they have obviously never replaced Harry Kane - not really sure how you do that mind you ...

He was only so successful here because they got the subs rule changes to 5.
It's no coincidence they were struggling till that point, then he won almost every domestic game after it changed.

Back