Angus Gunn

I caught the Norwich hull game last before going offshore. Gunn played and was at fault for first goal, not good enough for us IMHO.

Other observations, Docherty played for Hull and was dreadful, clear as day he was never good enough for us. I would defo take Kenny mclean up the road if he was to become available he was everywhere playing the lundstram role and was my MOTM

I've seen him in two games since the speculation first appeared and he's sold the jersey for two goals. Very far from convinced.

This is the top priority, and if we're able to make one £5-£7m signing in the summer, it should be here.

Lot of negative comments about him but what's our thoughts after seeing him in the 2 Scotland games? Admittedly, not seen much of the 2 games due to work apart from last 20 mins tonight. Couple of decent catches from crosses. How has he played?

Lot of negative comments about him but what's our thoughts after seeing him in the 2 Scotland games? Admittedly, not seen much of the 2 games due to work apart from last 20 mins tonight. Couple of decent catches from crosses. How has he played?
Personally I’m not too fussed but I’ve been told we are seriously looking at him.

It’s hard to judge because he’s had very little to do in both matches he’s played.

Decent distribution.
Safe enough handling when needed.
One bad example of decision making coming for a through ball that was going away from him.
Didn’t seem too keen in coming off his line.

If those games were a scouting exercise you would need to keep watching.

He did well without having to do anything spectacular. He didn't come off his line much but then he had a central back 3 of aerially dominant centre backs so that was probably by design. We stayed compact in there and headed absolutely everything away the crossed.

Instant upgrade on what we have got but that doesn’t say much (based off they 2 international games).

If we get 1/5 signings right this summer it needs to be the goalie.

I’d need a bigger sample size to judge personally but there are people who have watched him more than me who say he is not good enough.

I know Butlands’ fee is thought to be about £5m but I think that’s a no brainer for 5+ years of sound, competent goalkeeping.
I think he’d be reliable and we’d forget about the fee after 6 months in a way we don’t about, say, Kent.

If JB goes to a team that we could compete with on wages and we end up with Gunn, I won’t be ecstatic.

He was garbage at Southampton and by all accounts is still making mistakes at Norwich.
He’s just your basic keeper, we need better than that.

Not watched him beyond the last 2 Scotland games, so don't have much to base any opinion on. Done the basics ok but rarely tested. Cheers.

Reactions: BWO
Tonight (vs Spain) was
Obviously a one off, but he looked calm in everything he did.
Better option than McGregor next test? Yes from me. No Woods or Goram, but a step up than we have.

I wouldnt particularly be looking at him based on his perfomances for Scotland. Hes not put a foot wrong, but i wouldnt say hes caught the eye either.

No idea how hes been doing at club level though. Personally, id like someone a bit more commanding at crosses, but ive no idea if he usually is and just feared a mistake getting his chance.

Done everything well apart from the odd shaky kick-out. Certainly looks a much better option than Clark and Kelly as far as Scotland are concerned.

One thing is for sure.

He signs for Rangers and his international career is over.
Listen to yourself ffs.
This is sheer paranoid lunacy.

Which of our first team is currently being overlooked for a Scotland cap?
Greegsy(retired)
Tav (english)
Goldson, Davies, Borna, Yilmaz
Lundstram, Raskin, Cantwell, Kamara, Hagi, Kent , Morelos, Tillman, Sakala. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point by now

Oh, fook you're right! All these players' Scotland caps have amounted to none since they signed for Rangers.

One thing is for sure.

He signs for Rangers and his international career is over.
Because you’ve made up that Clarke doesn’t pick rangers players?

You genuinely think he’d weaken himself in the area where he has had to rely on rangers player Robby Mccrorie in multiple squads?

I’d need a bigger sample size to judge personally but there are people who have watched him more than me who say he is not good enough.

I know Butlands’ fee is thought to be about £5m but I think that’s a no brainer for 5+ years of sound, competent goalkeeping.
I think he’d be reliable and we’d forget about the fee after 6 months in a way we don’t about, say, Kent.

If JB goes to a team that we could compete with on wages and we end up with Gunn, I won’t be ecstatic.
Butland has been atrocious for years now, I don’t see the appeal at all

He's the new FF favourite for some reason despite hardly playing for three years. Has barely made a matchday squad this season partly due to injury and was mostly back-up at Palace the two previous seasons. His stock was clearly high 5-6 years ago but there's not much to go on in recent years.

Butland had shocking time at Stoke - doesn't come for crosses (not seen him in years though as not been a #1) .

Gunn lost 9-0 v Leicester, has a tendency to parry a shot in front of him not round the post or away. Also not commanding.

Please can we sign Marek Rodak from.Fulham, underrated goalkeeper - we can afford his wages too - was #1 last season, after promotion they bought Leno.

was mostly back-up at Palace the two previous seasons. His stock was clearly high 5-6 years ago but there's not much to go on in recent years.
The thinking is hes a good Goalkeeper generally and the switch of scene and challenge may reignite his career in the way it has for someone like Hart (as a direct comparison) or Cantwell as a more general one.

Sticking with Cantwell, its probably the one chance now to acquire someone like Butland in terms of career/contract status, hence his name being spoken about.

Taking the broad perspective Rangers need a lot of new players and have little money to spend on fees. Loans or of zero use when you need to rebuild the foundations of a Team and Squad. Therefore he makes a lot of sense since hes a quality player coming for £0 into a key position which he would feature in as the starter.

A good signing which then redirects whatever fee funds we have elsewhere, i.e. a Striker.

Gunn would be a reasonable signing in terms of age/ability but he will come with a substantial fee and thats only increased these past few weeks as he now appears to be the NT no.1

Maybe Rangers shouldve moved for him previously when his stock was a little lower.

He never had much to do over those 2 games so it's quite hard to judge.
Spain however threw in a lot of cross balls and he never left his line, i want a GK who comes for cross balls, Matheus at Braga the example, although he's way out our price range.

Distribution didn't look great, but I'd caveat that with anytime the ball came to him the Scottish defenders and midfield didn't move to receive. It was clear a punt was either the choosen tactic or style the ended up in.
I would think for us he would have more and easier options for passes.

Not sure on the crosses either. There wasn't many I can think of that were clear that the keeper would be expected to come for. By and large the Spanish crosses were well whipped in and would be for the CHs to fight over.

In short I don't think could be judged on last night.

This the same Jack Butland who cost palace £1m and is out of contract on 30 June 2023? :))

He looks to be a decent keeper tbf and played well in a big game. I certainly wouldn't be against the signing.

Back