Ann Budge’s plan ‘is nonsense’, Times

kevfromkent

Lachlan Cameron, the Ayr United chairman, has launched a scathing attack on Ann Budge’s reconstruction proposals and declared that he will not support what he describes as a “let’s save Hearts campaign”.

As Budge, the Hearts owner, submitted plans for three divisions of 14 to the Scottish Professional Football League board yesterday, Cameron was angered by her “threat” of legal action and said that Ayr should not be expected to bend over backwards for one club.

The American was especially dis-paraging of the revamp’s temporary nature, describing it as “total nonsense”. He said that the proposed reversion to 12-10-10-10 in two years’ time would turn the 2021-22 season into an episode of The Hunger Games.

Cameron led the opposition on a day when Budge’s proposal already looked destined to fail. The Times understands that at least three Championship clubs have made up their mind to vote “no”. The plan will need eight of the ten in that division to support it.

Despite Budge’s claim that 14-14-14 was a flexible way for Scottish football to deal with the crisis, Cameron said it was nothing more than an attempt to spare Hearts a season in the Championship. With second-tier clubs lacking resources to play behind closed doors, their season is expected to be cut in half.

“I don’t want to be involved in that either,” said Cameron. “But I’m a Championship club so I have to abide by that. Hearts are a Championship club. They should abide by that. Just because they are better than the rest of us doesn’t mean that they get special rules. They are bigger than Livingston. They are bigger than St Johnstone. They are bigger than Hamilton. Well, guess what? They finished in last place.”

Cameron was on the original reconstruction task force that was scrapped. He has consistently opposed an expansion of the top flight and is adamant that any restructuring of the league should be permanent. Unless clubs later voted to reconstruct again, Budge’s plan could mean that three are relegated from the Premiership in 2022, as well as six from the Championship.

“That’s total nonsense,” Cameron said. “That’s the most self-interested thing out of all of this. It’s been very clear to me that nobody in the Championship or League One or League Two wants to talk about any of this if it is purely a ‘let’s save Hearts’ campaign. Temporary doesn’t do anyone any good. If you knew that you were going to lose 40 per cent of your league … that’s Hunger Games stuff.”

In the document, Budge suggested that Hearts were prepared to take legal action if the proposal was not carried. A ballot in which SPFL clubs voted to declare the season over meant that the Edinburgh club were relegated before the fixtures had been completed.

“I don’t deal well with threats,” Cameron. “If your threat is ‘do it my way or we will sue you’, well, sue away but this is a members’ organisation.

“Hearts are a big club. They, Rangers, Celtic, Hibs . . . they can stamp their feet and make things happen. If Airdrie, Ayr United or Alloa are aggrieved, we don’t have the weight of an angry mob behind us.”

The SPFL said in a statement that, having formally received the proposal, it would now facilitate a series of divisional meetings, starting with the Premiership on Monday, at which all 42 clubs would be given the chance to air their views. The Times understands that at least five clubs from the bottom two tiers have decided to vote “no”. Budge needs 75 per cent of the 20 clubs in those divisions to support her.

Cove Rangers won the League Two title, but the proposal would mean they remained in Scotland’s bottom tier. “It doesn’t work for us,” Keith Moorhouse, their chairman, said. “My understanding of reconstruction was that it would right all the wrongs and that no club should be disadvantaged by it.”

'Well, guess what? They finished in last place.”'

im not a fan of hearts and think their reconstruction plans can gtf but hearts never finished in last place and the league never finished.
Yup they were by no means favourites to go down on form at least if not placing

im not a fan of hearts and think their reconstruction plans can gtf but hearts never finished in last place and the league never finished.

Wrong. They voted to end the season and Celtic were awarded the title. Therefore there must be relegation if there can be a winner.

Null and void was the sensible option. Now they reap what they sow

Scottish football really is pathetic. Take any team in any of the league's and swap their positions to those in relegation/promotion places and they'd all vote the same way. It's all about self-preservation, and has never been based on morals or integrity.

How he can moan about Hearts doing it is laughable. He would be doing the exact same in their position, they've been relegated without playing a full fixture list so are quite right to feel aggrieved.

The fairest way was to null and void if they couldn't hold out to complete the fixtures.

Scottish football really is pathetic. Take any team in any of the league's and swap their positions to those in relegation/promotion places and they'd all vote the same way. It's all about self-preservation, and has never been based on morals or integrity.

How he can moan about Hearts doing it is laughable. He would be doing the exact same in their position, they've been relegated without playing a full fixture list so are quite right to feel aggrieved.

The fairest way was to null and void if they couldn't hold out to complete the fixtures.

Null and void was the only solution to all this. It still beggars belief that Celtic have been handed a title like this. Null and Void, same teams as last year.... we go again. Harsh on Dundee United, but I don't believe they actually won their title either?

Just a total shambolic, embarrassing mess.

It looks like they’re following the Dundee route of holding their bowl out to Peter, sorry Neil, asking for more.

The difference being with no tainted title up for grabs this time what is the incentive for Them in any kind of reconstruction?

Both us and them will miss out on a home game under the plan, why would They want to drive this through?

It's amazing that these shitty wee clubs all act like they are the captains of industry when a sound bite is required .... this guy loves the spotlight eh

Stewart Robertson said at the very outset that all we needed to do was separate out the Finance part from the Admin part in terms of votes, which would allow them time to discuss without any duress, the structure in a well thought out and pragmatic way.

These clubs response to that was that its Rangers idea so we don't like it, just geez the money

Pathetic.... they all deserve what they get

The SPFL made it all about finishing the league when they should have been working on a plan to address the reality of next season.

I said countless times in threads in the last months, they should be more worried if they would be able to start next season. They should have made the payouts/advances and got people talking about how the game survives, not about who gets the silverware. They now have made a rod for their own back by officially relegating teams. it's not about trophies, it's about survival.

Lachlan Cameron, the Ayr United chairman, has launched a scathing attack on Ann Budge’s reconstruction proposals and declared that he will not support what he describes as a “let’s save Hearts campaign”.

As Budge, the Hearts owner, submitted plans for three divisions of 14 to the Scottish Professional Football League board yesterday, Cameron was angered by her “threat” of legal action and said that Ayr should not be expected to bend over backwards for one club.

The American was especially dis-paraging of the revamp’s temporary nature, describing it as “total nonsense”. He said that the proposed reversion to 12-10-10-10 in two years’ time would turn the 2021-22 season into an episode of The Hunger Games.

Cameron led the opposition on a day when Budge’s proposal already looked destined to fail. The Times understands that at least three Championship clubs have made up their mind to vote “no”. The plan will need eight of the ten in that division to support it.

Despite Budge’s claim that 14-14-14 was a flexible way for Scottish football to deal with the crisis, Cameron said it was nothing more than an attempt to spare Hearts a season in the Championship. With second-tier clubs lacking resources to play behind closed doors, their season is expected to be cut in half.

“I don’t want to be involved in that either,” said Cameron. “But I’m a Championship club so I have to abide by that. Hearts are a Championship club. They should abide by that. Just because they are better than the rest of us doesn’t mean that they get special rules. They are bigger than Livingston. They are bigger than St Johnstone. They are bigger than Hamilton. Well, guess what? They finished in last place.”

Cameron was on the original reconstruction task force that was scrapped. He has consistently opposed an expansion of the top flight and is adamant that any restructuring of the league should be permanent. Unless clubs later voted to reconstruct again, Budge’s plan could mean that three are relegated from the Premiership in 2022, as well as six from the Championship.

“That’s total nonsense,” Cameron said. “That’s the most self-interested thing out of all of this. It’s been very clear to me that nobody in the Championship or League One or League Two wants to talk about any of this if it is purely a ‘let’s save Hearts’ campaign. Temporary doesn’t do anyone any good. If you knew that you were going to lose 40 per cent of your league … that’s Hunger Games stuff.”

In the document, Budge suggested that Hearts were prepared to take legal action if the proposal was not carried. A ballot in which SPFL clubs voted to declare the season over meant that the Edinburgh club were relegated before the fixtures had been completed.

“I don’t deal well with threats,” Cameron. “If your threat is ‘do it my way or we will sue you’, well, sue away but this is a members’ organisation.

“Hearts are a big club. They, Rangers, Celtic, Hibs . . . they can stamp their feet and make things happen. If Airdrie, Ayr United or Alloa are aggrieved, we don’t have the weight of an angry mob behind us.”

The SPFL said in a statement that, having formally received the proposal, it would now facilitate a series of divisional meetings, starting with the Premiership on Monday, at which all 42 clubs would be given the chance to air their views. The Times understands that at least five clubs from the bottom two tiers have decided to vote “no”. Budge needs 75 per cent of the 20 clubs in those divisions to support her.

Cove Rangers won the League Two title, but the proposal would mean they remained in Scotland’s bottom tier. “It doesn’t work for us,” Keith Moorhouse, their chairman, said. “My understanding of reconstruction was that it would right all the wrongs and that no club should be disadvantaged by it.”

Hearts problem, but great how the diddies always drag us into it.

The SPFL made it all about finishing the league when they should have been working on a plan to address the reality of next season.

I said countless times in threads in the last months, they should be more worried if they would be able to start next season. They should have made the payouts/advances and got people talking about how the game survives, not about who gets the silverware. They now have made a rod for their own back by officially relegating teams. it's not about trophies, it's about survival.

100% mate. Once again the celtc/SPFL cabal have been shown to be pursuing a one track agenda : accomodate the paedo harbourers first and foremost and then maybe consider everybody else later - if they make enough noise, and we can be arsed.
And STILL Doncaster merrily rakes in his £400,000+ per year.

He thinks Rangers can stamp their feet and get their way, but Alloa can't

Other way round

Let’s be clear here. I wanted Hearts to be relegated. However under no circumstances did they finish last in the league. No more so than Celtic finished top of the league. So in that circumstance there is no way they should have been expelled, nor should the other teams have had the same bestowed on them. You cant win or lose anything if you don’t complete it.
Yes I wanted them down but only if they finished bottom. It’s up to Hearts now to decide if they have the balls to take the legal route. Their call but if it was my team I would be furious if they didn’t. They were used as cannon fodder to appease one club and it is wrong no matter how much you despise them.

Should've took the bull by the horns and null and void the season and none of this shit would have happened, but the paedos had to have their 8-5 title

Laughlan is never out the paper but constantly saying he isnt interested or doesnt want to be involved in anything :rolleyes:

Im no lover of hearts but guys like this have too much power in the game for what they contribute.If the season had been voided and cash distributed around all clubs we wouldn't be in this position.

Null and void would have avoided all of this.

The only issue I'm aware the Eredivisie is having as a result of null and void is AZ kicking up a fuss about not getting the automatic Champions League spot when they were level on points with Ajax. Compare and contrast to the civil war in Scottish football we have.

Null and void would have avoided all of this.

The only issue I'm aware the Eredivisie is having as a result of null and void is AZ kicking up a fuss about not getting the automatic Champions League spot when they were level on points with Ajax. Compare and contrast to the civil war in Scottish football we have.
Which could be resolved by financial sharing of next seasons euro cash . Agree .

Spot on. its a disgrace waht this shambles has brought about

Lower league teams have far too much say in how the game in this country is run.

A consequence of the SPL's 'merger' (takeover) of the SFL in order to rape Rangers of the blue pound, the rapist to all intents and purposes being Peter Liewell

Well it's coming back to bite the top league now, the tail wagging the dog. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone but Rangers these days.

It’s mental that these fucking diddy, no1 clubs even want a say on how to improve the league. Start with getting more than 300 people & a couple a dogs in your stadium then wel talk.

Lachlan, shut up you corrupt clown. You have watched this unfold and have been happy to play along with the corruption

As for Anne Budge, you watched the corruption taking place, did you really think the cabal would entertain your ideas?

Lower league teams have far too much say in how the game in this country is run.

Correct, which is why the merger of the SPL and SFL in 2013 is all the more ridiculous in retrospect given that the SPL was originally formed to avoid such a scenario.

It would be like the Premier League in England deciding to merge with the EFL and let tiny comparatively tiny clubs in League 2 dictate the future of the big boys, nonsensical.

Probably wanted 16 teams so he could get a spoon in the pie. With a 14 team top flight & his club effectively 15th he,s just missed out.

Celtic are the only club that’s entirely content in this situation...they made damn sure from the off THEY were getting what they wanted and to f@ck with any other considerations and consequences. The fact that the majority are quite happy to go along with the scummy underhanded antics that created this mess informs us that the game is indeed gubbed now and not coming back from this...the acceptance of this virtually guarantees there will be a much serious situation to contend with down the road sooner or later.

Back