Anne Frank diary to be read at Serie A games after Lazio fans’ antisemitism

mdingwall

Administrator
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/24/lazio-anne-frank-diary-antisemitism-serie-a

Anne Frank diary to be read at Serie A games after Lazio fans’ antisemitism
Agencies

Last modified on Tuesday 24 October 2017 16.23 BST
3072.jpg

The Lazio president, Claudio Lotito, lays a wreath at the synagogue in Rome on Tuesday. Photograph: Claudio Peri/EPA
The Italian football federation (FICG) has said a passage from Anne Frank’s diary will be read before matches this week in response to acts of antisemitism by Laziofans and to keep alive memories of the Holocaust.

The FIGC also says a minute of silence will be observed before Serie A, B and C matches this week, plus amateur and youth games over the weekend.

During Sunday’s league game against Cagliari Lazio fans defaced their Stadio Olimpico home in Rome with antisemitic graffiti and stickers showing images of Frank, the young diarist who died in the Holocaust, wearing a jersey of their city rivals Roma.

An image of Frank will be put on Lazio’s shirts for Wednesday’s game at Bologna, the club said, to demonstrate their fight against “all forms of racism and antisemitism”.

Lazio’s president, Claudio Lotito, has visited Rome’s main synagogue and promised a new antisemitism education campaign. Lotito said the club would be intensifying their efforts to combat racism and antisemitism and announced Lazio would organise an annual trip to the Auschwitz concentration camp with 200 young fans to “educate them not to forget”.

Lazio fans have a history of racist and antisemitic behaviour, including a Lazio banner in the city derby nearly 20 years ago aimed at Roma supporters that read: “Auschwitz Is Your Homeland; The Ovens Are Your Homes.”

The head of the European Parliament has also denounced Lazio fans’ behaviour. Antonio Tajani, who is also Italian, told the European Parliament in Strasbourg that “using the image of Anne Frank as an insult against others is a very grave matter”.

The Italian prime minister, Paolo Gentiloni, said the stickers were “unbelievable, unacceptable and to not be minimised”.

The Anne Frank diary passage reads: “I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquillity will return once more.”

A statement on Lazio’s website outlined the plans to place Frank’s image on the club’s shirts.

“The president of SS Lazio, Claudio Lotito, has decided that tomorrow the team will be coming to the stadium at Renato Dall’Ara Stadium in Bologna with an image of Anne Frank on the Biancoceleste shirt, demonstrating the club’s commitment to fighting all forms of racism and anti-Semitism,” it said.

Lotito announced the Auschwitz trip initiative in comments reported by Gazzetta dello Sport: “Today, I can officially announce that Lazio will partake in a new initiative, organising an annual trip to Auschwitz for 200 Lazio fans to educate and make sure we don’t forget certain episodes, so that these lads can know what it is we’re talking about.

“You can’t play around with these facts, we condemn all forms of racism. Lazio will launch this initiative.”

Last edited:
Imagine the next Old Firm, them with a star of David and us with a famine tribute.

Or, I donno, like a poppy on their shirts or something.......without it becoming a 'thing' like it does every year.

How this country can be so concerned with the minutia of certain aspects of society, how it relates to football, who will or could be offended, etc........yet the big things - ignored.

Did they sing this to the tune of the famine song: “Auschwitz Is Your Homeland; The Ovens Are Your Homes.”

On a serious note, Lazio has had these problems for years. What is the story with their hatred of jews?

Did they sing this to the tune of the famine song: “Auschwitz Is Your Homeland; The Ovens Are Your Homes.”

On a serious note, Lazio has had these problems for years. What is the story with their hatred of jews?
They’have a big number of Fascists in their support.Remember Di Canio’s salute ? Italy under Mussolini was Fascist for over 20 years. The ideology lives on for some.

Lazio was Mussolini team of choice... very hard core fascist ultras... as,do roma...they regularly sing a song about the,uprising of the hungerian people to the red army

Lazio fans are scumbags and instead of putting images of Anne Frank in a Lazio too they should weed out the anti semetic and nazi arseholes amongst their support and do something proactive

Football is a sport. Why do some football fans use it as a vehicle for politics, racism and sectarianism. Rhetorical question by the way.

Football is a sport. Why do some football fans use it as a vehicle for politics, racism and sectarianism. Rhetorical question by the way.
Politics sectarianism etc has been involved in,football for yrs italy.argentina.croatia.Serbia scotland.france.germanny spain italy...

To take this meandering back to the point of the subject. Lazio as a club has had this problem with anti-Semitism for as long as I can recall since the Italian game was first shown here in the early nineties. I remember the furore when Aaron Winter signed for them as due to his first name he was mistakenly abused as being Jewish, never mind the racial abuse he suffered, at the hands, or more accurately, the voices of the Lazio fans. Why that club especially has this problem, I have no idea. The real question has to be why their fans seem not to be in the slightest bit interested in the reputation of their club and are apparently indifferent about the opprobrium inflicted upon it? Despite the best efforts of the Lazio president and all his good intentions resulting from this latest incident, I bet we'll still be hearing of similar occurrences twenty years from now.

It reminds me of the story about an awful theatre production of her diary.

Apparently the acting was so bad that when the Nazi soldiers entered the house the audience shouted "She's up there" and pointed towards the attic.

We need to be careful the next time Aberdeen visit. I wouldn't want to be forced to sit through an episode of 'Shaun the Sheep'.

I find it odd that a lot of Lazio fans are associated with the far right and they support this "free Palestine" stuff. Must be a case of my enemies enemy is my friend? Pricks.

No you dont actually. just a guy who hates racism in all forms.
How do you stand on Michael Milken ( with pals Levine, Siegel and Bosky) or Bernie Madoff.

Try calling those vermin out who ruined countless lives - and guess what label they give you !

Back