Another bear passes

A few hours ago my Father passed away due to COVID at 87 years old.

He was a bear who didn't go to games much due to ill health over many years. Born in Govan, he was a hard working Protestant who brought me up the right and proper way. He served in WW2, then worked as a printer before being a postman around Knightswood and Jordanhill for many years before retiring early in the 80s.

He was also a Freemason. I don't know where I'm ashamed to say, think it was Partick Cross. I never joined up despite him asking me. I suspect he was disappointed but never said that to me. His wish was I get the masonic chain he wore around his neck.

He took me to my first game (a reserve match vs Dundee Utd in the early 80s) and when I got my first job in 1986 I purchased a half charger just as big Jock left and the Magnificent Bastard arrived.

I thank my dad for making me who I am. He was a hard man who didn't mention love too much. In later years he learned how to show that and to express that to me and his grandkids in more recent years.

I emigrated to Australia in 2003. I saw him ever 2 years when I came home or if the family came to visit me. It was a long journey and he last attempted it about 5 years ago. The travel nearly killed him but he got over it.

He survived the Australian flu a few years ago, was in hospital for a week but fought it and got home. I hoped beyond hope that he would survive this but knew deep down it was a long shot.

We joked on facetime less than 24 hours ago about whether he would get home before TLB got sacked. So his passing is a shock.

He leaves behind my Mum (his wife of 63 years and who he first met at 12 years old) and my older Sister. My Dad gave me everything. We lived mainly in Partick and then in Whiteinch. He was a good bear. May he rest in peace.

Love you Dad.
Nice obituary R.I.P.

He was a bear who didn't go to games much due to ill health over many years. Born in Govan, he was a hard working Protestant who brought me up the right and proper way. He served in WW2, then worked as a printer before being a postman around Knightswood and Jordanhill for many years before retiring early in the 80s.

He was also a Freemason. I don't know where I'm ashamed to say, think it was Partick Cross. I never joined up despite him asking me. I suspect he was disappointed but never said that to me. His wish was I get the masonic chain he wore around his neck.

He took me to my first game (a reserve match vs Dundee Utd in the early 80s) and when I got my first job in 1986 I purchased a half charger just as big Jock left and the Magnificent Bastard arrived.

I thank my dad for making me who I am. He was a hard man who didn't mention love too much. In later years he learned how to show that and to express that to me and his grandkids in more recent years.

I emigrated to Australia in 2003. I saw him ever 2 years when I came home or if the family came to visit me. It was a long journey and he last attempted it about 5 years ago. The travel nearly killed him but he got over it.

He survived the Australian flu a few years ago, was in hospital for a week but fought it and got home. I hoped beyond hope that he would survive this but knew deep down it was a long shot.

We joked on facetime less than 24 hours ago about whether he would get home before TLB got sacked. So his passing is a shock.

He leaves behind my Mum (his wife of 63 years and who he first met at 12 years old) and my older Sister. My Dad gave me everything. We lived mainly in Partick and then in Whiteinch. He was a good bear. May he rest in peace.

Love you Dad.
May his memory be a blessing. I hope you and your family and friends find solace and comfort in the memories of, clearly, a wonderful man.

Very touching heartwarming tribute to your old man. He'll be looking down proud as punch. RIP

Condolences to you and the rest of your family mate, I'm sure your love of Rangers would have been more than enough to compensate not joining the lodge.

Sorry to hear of the sudden passing of your good dad.
You have given him a fantastic tribute indeed.
Sincere thoughts and prayers go out to you and all your family and friends.

That was a beautiful piece of writing, and I'm sure your father would be very proud of you.
Condolences to you and your family

Really sad to read that and thoughts are with you and your family. We lost my step-dad to it last week and it is a horrible thing. Best wishes to you.

Love you Dad.
G14 postie, decent chance I'd have known him. Condolences

Never too late to wear your Dads chain with pride and to learn to always be upright and work on the level.

Lovely tribute mate, sorry to hear that.

I’m 30 and lost my Dad to a heart attack at the age of 52 in 2013. I miss him every single day. I can’t wait to raise a glass in his memory when we win the league again.

To absent friends.

Love you Dad.
So sorry for your loss.

Sad to hear this barcode, just cherish all the great memories you had with your Dad and remember all the wonderful times you had following the Rangers.

Condolences sir, harsh losing anyone anytime, but especially difficult at this time of the year. Remember the goods times RIP to your dad.

Sad news, rest in peace brother.

A sprig of acacia marks the spot where the master builder lies.

So mote it be.......

Your Fathers Masonic Lodge, would have been in Partick St Marys numbering 117 in the roll of The Grand Lodge of Scotland. My Mother Lodge. I was also from Whiteinch.
Now safe in the arms of Jesus.
Strength to your family fellow Bear at this sad time.

Sorry to hear of your loss those where damn fine words you wrote about your Dad what a fine person he was ,I know it’s only football but Rangers defines us all some don’t get it but Bears like yourself and Dad do ,I’m not saying Rangers is more important than life it’s just Rangers are a big part of people’s life winning 55 will be a great testament to those we have lost over the years,once again I’m sorry for your loss at this time.

Love you Dad.
Lovely write up mate, he sounds like a good man...so do you!

Condolences to you and yours.

Love you Dad.
Sorry for your loss.

Love you Dad.
Sorry for your loss mate, lovely tribute.

Sorry mate .He was obviously much loved , had a great life and a good innings and may that be a comfort to you .thoughts with you and the family .

Back