Another bear passes

barcode

A few hours ago my Father passed away due to COVID at 87 years old.

He was a bear who didn't go to games much due to ill health over many years. Born in Govan, he was a hard working Protestant who brought me up the right and proper way. He served in WW2, then worked as a printer before being a postman around Knightswood and Jordanhill for many years before retiring early in the 80s.

He was also a Freemason. I don't know where I'm ashamed to say, think it was Partick Cross. I never joined up despite him asking me. I suspect he was disappointed but never said that to me. His wish was I get the masonic chain he wore around his neck.

He took me to my first game (a reserve match vs Dundee Utd in the early 80s) and when I got my first job in 1986 I purchased a half charger just as big Jock left and the Magnificent Bastard arrived.

I thank my dad for making me who I am. He was a hard man who didn't mention love too much. In later years he learned how to show that and to express that to me and his grandkids in more recent years.

I emigrated to Australia in 2003. I saw him ever 2 years when I came home or if the family came to visit me. It was a long journey and he last attempted it about 5 years ago. The travel nearly killed him but he got over it.

He survived the Australian flu a few years ago, was in hospital for a week but fought it and got home. I hoped beyond hope that he would survive this but knew deep down it was a long shot.

We joked on facetime less than 24 hours ago about whether he would get home before TLB got sacked. So his passing is a shock.

He leaves behind my Mum (his wife of 63 years and who he first met at 12 years old) and my older Sister. My Dad gave me everything. We lived mainly in Partick and then in Whiteinch. He was a good bear. May he rest in peace.

Love you Dad.

Sorry to hear that.

Treasure the memories and be forever thankful he helped mould you as a person and in particular for your love of Rangers.

A few hours ago my Father passed away due to COVID at 87 years old.

He was a bear who didn't go to games much due to ill health over many years. Born in Govan, he was a hard working Protestant who brought me up the right and proper way. He served in WW2, then worked as a printer before being a postman around Knightswood and Jordanhill for many years before retiring early in the 80s.

He was also a Freemason. I don't know where I'm ashamed to say, think it was Partick Cross. I never joined up despite him asking me. I suspect he was disappointed but never said that to me. His wish was I get the masonic chain he wore around his neck.

He took me to my first game (a reserve match vs Dundee Utd in the early 80s) and when I got my first job in 1986 I purchased a half charger just as big Jock left and the Magnificent Bastard arrived.

I thank my dad for making me who I am. He was a hard man who didn't mention love too much. In later years he learned how to show that and to express that to me and his grandkids in more recent years.

I emigrated to Australia in 2003. I saw him ever 2 years when I came home or if the family came to visit me. It was a long journey and he last attempted it about 5 years ago. The travel nearly killed him but he got over it.

He survived the Australian flu a few years ago, was in hospital for a week but fought it and got home. I hoped beyond hope that he would survive this but knew deep down it was a long shot.

We joked on facetime less than 24 hours ago about whether he would get home before TLB got sacked. So his passing is a shock.

He leaves behind my Mum (his wife of 63 years and who he first met at 12 years old) and my older Sister. My Dad gave me everything. We lived mainly in Partick and then in Whiteinch. He was a good bear. May he rest in peace.

Love you Dad.
Sorry for your loss mate and hope you and your family rejoice at having him as your father/friend and husband rather than mourn for long.

Sleep tight brother

Sounds like a long life well lived and a lovely tribute to your dad . He will be smiling down on you fellow bear .

Sometimes, words are not big enough or strong enough to convey what we feel about lost loved ones, but you've done a very fine job here. Condolences to you and your family.

Condolences to you and your family mate

I’m sure you’re father will be looking down with pride when we clinch 55 this season

my dad was diagnosed with incurable cancer a couple of months ago... the thought of him being here to see 55 is what keeps me going

Hard read mate.Had to gulp a couple of time reading it.You could be describing my dad.My condolences to you and your family.Rejoice in his memory and as you wrote he might not have said he loved you but he comforted you know he did.All the best to you mate.

That's a lovely tribute and so many happy memories to enjoy and hopefully console you at this sad time.

Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Thanks for all your messages. It means a lot. I'm in tears.

I also want to mention @Robert Marshall who hosted a 72 ECWC night when I happened to be home a few years ago. I brought my Dad to it and Robert looked after him. A good seat (he could hardly walk) and catered for with food and drink. My dad was a fussy eater but he had a scotch pie that night for the first time in his life and loved it!! He was in his 80s!!!

I can't find the photo right now but his picure holding the cup next to Colin Stein was such a thrill for him.

Back