Another bear passes

A few hours ago my Father passed away due to COVID at 87 years old.

He was a bear who didn't go to games much due to ill health over many years. Born in Govan, he was a hard working Protestant who brought me up the right and proper way. He served in WW2, then worked as a printer before being a postman around Knightswood and Jordanhill for many years before retiring early in the 80s.

He was also a Freemason. I don't know where I'm ashamed to say, think it was Partick Cross. I never joined up despite him asking me. I suspect he was disappointed but never said that to me. His wish was I get the masonic chain he wore around his neck.

He took me to my first game (a reserve match vs Dundee Utd in the early 80s) and when I got my first job in 1986 I purchased a half charger just as big Jock left and the Magnificent Bastard arrived.

I thank my dad for making me who I am. He was a hard man who didn't mention love too much. In later years he learned how to show that and to express that to me and his grandkids in more recent years.

I emigrated to Australia in 2003. I saw him ever 2 years when I came home or if the family came to visit me. It was a long journey and he last attempted it about 5 years ago. The travel nearly killed him but he got over it.

He survived the Australian flu a few years ago, was in hospital for a week but fought it and got home. I hoped beyond hope that he would survive this but knew deep down it was a long shot.

We joked on facetime less than 24 hours ago about whether he would get home before TLB got sacked. So his passing is a shock.

He leaves behind my Mum (his wife of 63 years and who he first met at 12 years old) and my older Sister. My Dad gave me everything. We lived mainly in Partick and then in Whiteinch. He was a good bear. May he rest in peace.

Love you Dad.
What a wonderful & heartfelt tribute to a Father, I have a lump in my throat. I too lost my Dad to Covid back in May although in truth he was suffering terribly from dementia, so in my mind his passing was a blessing and gave him peace. You & your family have my sincere condolences, cherish the memories.

A few hours ago my Father passed away due to COVID at 87 years old.

He was a bear who didn't go to games much due to ill health over many years. Born in Govan, he was a hard working Protestant who brought me up the right and proper way. He served in WW2, then worked as a printer before being a postman around Knightswood and Jordanhill for many years before retiring early in the 80s.

He was also a Freemason. I don't know where I'm ashamed to say, think it was Partick Cross. I never joined up despite him asking me. I suspect he was disappointed but never said that to me. His wish was I get the masonic chain he wore around his neck.

He took me to my first game (a reserve match vs Dundee Utd in the early 80s) and when I got my first job in 1986 I purchased a half charger just as big Jock left and the Magnificent Bastard arrived.

I thank my dad for making me who I am. He was a hard man who didn't mention love too much. In later years he learned how to show that and to express that to me and his grandkids in more recent years.

I emigrated to Australia in 2003. I saw him ever 2 years when I came home or if the family came to visit me. It was a long journey and he last attempted it about 5 years ago. The travel nearly killed him but he got over it.

He survived the Australian flu a few years ago, was in hospital for a week but fought it and got home. I hoped beyond hope that he would survive this but knew deep down it was a long shot.

We joked on facetime less than 24 hours ago about whether he would get home before TLB got sacked. So his passing is a shock.

He leaves behind my Mum (his wife of 63 years and who he first met at 12 years old) and my older Sister. My Dad gave me everything. We lived mainly in Partick and then in Whiteinch. He was a good bear. May he rest in peace.

Love you Dad.

Sorry for your loss mate.

I feel your pain mate, but rest assured , your dad would not have been disappointed in you not joining the craft. Remember the good times and never forget his greatest gift was bringing you up a Rangers fan.

Nice tribute to your dad. He sounds like he was a good and proper man.
Remember the good times, cherish those memories.
Condolences to you and your family.

I last my dad 33 yrs ago.
Our family were similar not showing our emotions.
Always took him a good bottle of whisky at new year and had a few haufs with him and always told him I loved him.

Give it time mate and the good memories will be what your left with, rather than the raw emotions your feeling at the moment.

My sincere condolences.

Deepest condolences to you and your family mate, a wonderful and touching tribute to your dad who you obviously think very highly of. Time will heal the pain of now think of all the good times with yer dad Ibrox and family. When things settle may be worth researching your father’s military service and also to establish his lodge, I know they will be sad to hear of the passing of a brother and more than happy to help.

Beautiful words there regarding a gent who seems to be a diamond.

My condolences to you and your family.

A heartfelt and deserved tribute to your Dad. He would be proud of that and you.

No Surrender Fellow Bear.

You’ve found some fine words for your da at a difficult time @barcode
It’s easy to sense that your parents brought you up well, Sir.
Condolences to you all.

My condolences to you.
That's a fine eulogy. At such a time your consolation is the surety of a life lived well and an inheritance bequeathed that you'll forever cherish.

Back