Another Striker

2.5man

Do we think we require another striker for our squad?

At the moment we only have Morelos, Defoe as out and out strikers. Through in Stewart, Jones, Ojo etc as attackers and with the probability of Lafferty leaving, we really only have two recognised number 9 type players.

Who do you see as a realistic target to strengthen this position?

A youngster on loan? A seasoned pro at the end of their career? Or do we push the boat out for a recognised first team number 9.

This will probably change depending on Morelos staying or being sold, I know but if things stay the way they are what is your thoughts bears?

Totally depends on Morelos.
I think theyll bring a big fella in to give another dimension but itll be a 3rd option and a squad player.
That being said it would be nice for a kid, if ready, to step up.
If Morelos stays, thats it probably plus Kent.
If he goes then money will be invested to replace him and there will be targets lined up and ready.

Need another striker as Stewart is a squad player and I still have a feeling Morelos will be sold leaving us short upfront

As said earlier, only if Morelos is sold. Between players like Stewart, Hastie, Murphy and Ojo we have good options centrally if need be without having to sign anyone.

My worry is Defoe and 40 odd games this season. I know he's fit but when was the last time he played that number of games in a season? He missed a good few chances towards the tail end that Morelos would have been criticised for.

I think we need another striker - 2 should Morelos go.

Even if Morelos stays we need another striker - its not beyond the realms of possibility that at some point Morelos sits in the stand under suspension and Defoe is injured. Wouldn't want a repeat of the League Cup semi

As it stands we need one more. Should Morelos go I'd be looking to bring in 2 or 3 with one being a proven goal scorer.

If morelos stays I really don't think we need to. I'd let Stewart be backup to 3rd choice striker if needed and bleed one of the younger lads as 4th. If Morelos does leave then it's a fair task to replace him. Get lafferty away he's wasting a shirt.

My worry is Defoe and 40 odd games this season. I know he's fit but when was the last time he played that number of games in a season? He missed a good few chances towards the tail end that Morelos would have been criticised for.

16/17.

I doubt we will bring a a striker in unless Morelos leaves. Stewart will be third choice, with Ojo, Hastie etc providing another alternative. A third choice would rarely play, look at how few times Sadiq was used in the first half of last season, and Lafferty in the second. It would be a waste of a wage.

It’s rare both your top guys are out, I’d prefer to leave it as it is
Like the semi against Aberdeen last year? I know we have far more attacking options now but wouldn’t want to be going into a European game or a big game domestically with no recognised striker. We need one more IMO, 2 if Alfie leaves.

We need someone who is what we all wanted Lafferty to be.

Big, mobile, good in the air and can bang in anything that comes near him in the 6yard box.

Actually joked with my mate the other day that Boyd the first time round(taking away the mobile bit) would flourish in a team like this with the chances we make!

Indeed. At what point does the Morelos window close? By that i mean if its within 2 weeks of close of window is any offer refused? Would 2 weeks bo ok to find a replacement? Going into the season with Defoe and a journeyman would not be good. Surprised an offer hasnt come for Morelos.....yet

I wonder if the player we were scouting in Croatia may have been Mario Gavranovic at Dinamo Zagreb? 29 years old and looks a decent player.

Last edited:
Yes we need another striker.

Who that may be i have no idea, hard to even suggest who we could get tbf because if Morelos stays they will be behind him i would think

It'll be difficult to find someone of decent quality who is happy to come a play back up to Morelos and Defoe. Unless it's a really top quality player who will push the other two down the pecking order and I just don't see that happening.

Obviously that changes if Alfie leaves.

Tbf mate, it wasn't Sadiq playing that cost us that game.

The whole team were dreadful that day, including McGregor, who sold the goal.
I'm in the absolute minority who thought Sadiq was ok still shit...was expecting a while lot worse.
The game itself aside I think having a cup squad of Morelos, Sadiq and a cup tied Lafferty we were never going to win the League Cup

Need another striker as Stewart is a squad player and I still have a feeling Morelos will be sold leaving us short upfront

Unless Morelos is sold, any striker that we bring in will be a squad player.

There is no way that we will bring in a striker who will be chosen before Morelos or Defoe and they would struggle to even get a place on the bench.

If Morelos goes, we need the best quality replacement we can get. If he stays, I would prefer us to give a youngster a chance. We have a lot of good prospects coming through and they need to know that they will be rewarded.

If Morelos does leave then we definitely need another striker. If he does stay I'd say we still need another as it leaves us short with only Morelos and Defoe.

However I don't see us spending a big amount on a forward who will more than likely be third choice.

Like the semi against Aberdeen last year? I know we have far more attacking options now but wouldn’t want to be going into a European game or a big game domestically with no recognised striker. We need one more IMO, 2 if Alfie leaves.
Well we didn’t have Stewart and others who can slot in last season

Cost us a cup final mate, when we had to play a giraffe up front instead.

We do need 3.
IMO that doesn’t follow. Sadiq was a disaster, period. Better options across the front this season and another quality striker is another burden on the wage bill, we need to focus on quality over quantity.

Greg Stewart is the third choice striker

All I want is some deadwood cleared out and for us to hold onto our best players now. Keep Morelos and Tavernier then I'll be delighted with our business.

Once lafferty goes I think we do need another striker.

I know people are saying stewart is our 3rd striker however I just dont see gerrard going with him with the type of player he is, he doesnt hold the ball up like morelos and doesnt go in behind like defoe.

I know he has played there for kilmarnock on occasion but there is a difference between leading the line for kille and doing it for us, I think stewart might surprise a few people this season but it will in my opnion be in one of the narrow/wide attacking positions either side of a main striker.

I know we dont have an unlimited budget and gerrard may well decide to go with just the 2 main strikers but an early bad injury to morelos leaving just 36 year old defoe/possibly stewart as our striking options would spell the end of our title hopes before they are even started.

I think we will sign a 'project' young strike if enough in the budget or else a young loan EPL player.

We've got a squad of 35 senior players at the moment. Anyone expecting more signings is expecting too much.

I'm very happy with the squad we've got. Morelos is the issue in the sense that I think we really need to hold onto him for another season.

Last edited:
If Morelos goes I certainly if not then no Stewart is very much a 3rd striker when Lafferty goes and other than that I can only see a striker coming in if the board and management team see a signing at a price they can't refuse

Last edited:
Unless Morelos is sold, any striker that we bring in will be a squad player.

There is no way that we will bring in a striker who will be chosen before Morelos or Defoe and they would struggle to even get a place on the bench.

If Morelos goes, we need the best quality replacement we can get. If he stays, I would prefer us to give a youngster a chance. We have a lot of good prospects coming through and they need to know that they will be rewarded.

Think Morelos will be off that's why I feel we need another main striker. If Gerrard decides he's not selling then we would be best with a youngster to replace laff

If Morelos goes I certainly if not then no Stewart is very much a 3rd striker when Lafferty goes and other than that I can onkjy see a striker coming in if the board and management team see a signing at a price they can't refuse

I just don’t see Stewart as a striker mate. Play in the home behind the striker ? Absolutely, but not a line leader for me.

We can only really deal with what we know are definites. And right now we need a third striker.

If Morelos moves or Kent comes back etc then that maybe changes our thinking in different ways, but as it stands right now it would be mental going into the season with two strikers in the squad. Especially with eleventeen central mids and a multitude of centrebacks.

Greg Stewart will not do. Who’s really comfortable with the idea of going into a crucial end of season league game or Cup final with Greg Stewart leading the line?

Play Stewart in the role he was bought for and buy a natural striker. The squad needs it.

I’d fancy that Assombalonga at Middlesbrough that the mentally challengeds were ‘linked’ with. Big, strong, quick and could be a link up man when we experiment with two up top.

Back