Another Striker

I don't think we'll bring in another tbh with the squad numbers already a bit bloated.

Roofe for Morelos (if he goes) and Stewart back up as third choice is how I think it'll pan out, although would be nice to see Rudden stake a claim for third choice if he can push on this season.

If all else fails and we're struggling up top, just chuck big Goldson up there - guy seems to be a natural poacher going by last few games!!

We've got a squad of 35 senior players at the moment. Anyone expecting more signings is expecting too much.

I'm very happy with the squad we've got. Morelos is the issue in the sense that I think we really need to hold onto him for another season.

If we don't make any more signings I'll still be pretty happy with the squad. I just think we could be doing with another striker.

Would you rather an out and out striker or Kent?

I just don’t see Stewart as a striker mate. Play in the home behind the striker ? Absolutely, but not a line leader for me.
Don't think he would lead the line as much mate he plays the false 9 brilliantly drops into midfield pulling the defence out of position and that allows the. Midfielders and the two either side of him to utilise the space created

I think by experimenting with Stewart as the striker/false 9 if you like against Oxford Stevie G has indicated how he sees it. If Morelos stays I doubts we will get a starting striker in - we will go with Morelos, Defoe and Stewart. Rudden, once fit, is likely to go on loan again I'd have thought. If Morelos goes then all sorts of things could change.

If both stay then no, absolutely not, we play with 1 up front so we already have two quality players for the one position.

We found different systems which suit whatever player we decide to use. We will only sign another one if Morelos is sold.

Slightly different angle here. At what point is it too late to sell Morelos? A 20 million offer comes in with a week to go. Take it or leave it as its too late to find a replacement? Or is that figure 2 weeks before the window closes?

I guess that all depends on how quickly Gerrard could get a suitable replacement in.

We'll definitely have targets to move on, should he leave.

Slightly different angle here. At what point is it too late to sell Morelos? A 20 million offer comes in with a week to go. Take it or leave it as its too late to find a replacement? Or is that figure 2 weeks before the window closes?

Remember the English window - Morelos probable destination if he goes - is something like 9 August. We would have another 3 weeks beyond that to source a replacement.

Well we didn’t have Stewart and others who can slot in last season[/
Well we didn’t have Stewart and others who can slot in last season
Agree to an extent we defo have far more attacking options now, but Stewart isn’t an out and out striker. If for example Alfie and Defoe were out you would happy to play Stewart as a striker against the filth or a big European game? Personally I would rather we had another natural striker in such circumstances.

I don't think we need another striker unless Morelos is for the off. We'd be talking about a 3rd choice for a position we only ever play with one of each week, I'd say Stewart is capable of fulfilling that role but can also play across the front line which makes him a more useful squad player. A 3rd choice backup would barely see any game time at all.

The way the back room works in a professional manner they will know if Alfie is going and probably who to and and at what price ,so I would assume the are scouting out a replacement now plus one other.
If they are certain Alfie is staying in my view we still need another striker to back up him and Defoe with maybe Rudden as a 4th .
Sure our squad is large but I expect a good few to be moved on .
Defence is well covered for a long season
Midfield we are carrying to many that's where I think the exits will mainly be.
Alfie, Defoe , one other , and Rudden for the main striker role.
Think this will give us a very good squad to challenge on all fronts

To add slightly to this - our style of play and formation at the moment doesn't require a natural or "out and out" striker.

It's about how well our midfield dictates a game. How well our full backs get forward. The link up between the attacking midfielders/inside forwards.

It's far less reliant upon a target man style player than it was most of last season. We clearly knew we were too reliant on Morelos and changed things.

That's why many feel we're ok with players like Stewart, Hastie and Ojo if both Morelos and Defoe are out.

If we don't make any more signings I'll still be pretty happy with the squad. I just think we could be doing with another striker.

For me Kent IF Morelos stays although it would mean loaning out some of the winger options we already have.

If Morelos goes then I'd want two strikers instead as there is a risk at least one of them wouldn't be good enough for us.

For me Kent IF Morelos stays although it would mean loaning out some of the winger options we already have.

If Morelos goes then I'd want two strikers instead as there is a risk at least one of them wouldn't be good enough for us.

We need another quality striker if Morelos goes, as much as we need another decent striker if he stays.........and spends a part of the season walking down the tunnel for an early bath!

hahaha wish you could delete posts. I blame the awful work wifi.

Only thing you can do is go back and Edit them to take out the text and replace it with 'double post' LOL.

If you can be bothered. Things will move along speedily enough and it will be forgotten.

I think once lafferty goes then we would look up until this point we will have targets but nothing will happen until we get players such as Holt, Dorrans, Lafferty & Grezda out the door. Wage bill is way to high per week for guys sitting in the stand.

I wonder what happened to Lafferty. That purple patch at Hearts seems such an odd anomaly.

Must just be a big fck mentalist.

Cant make my mind up if 20 mill for him and a lesser replacement is a good deal.

We could buy a more than adequate replacement to add to our squad for much less than £20m mate so, given our current situation - where finances still have to be carefully managed - I'd bite your hand off for £20m. Morelos will be a miss but its an opportunity we could not afford - literally IMHO - to knock back. Do I think we will get £20m? It's looking unlikely right now - but 'panic' has yet to set in down South.

Look how many minutes Sadiq got last season and that was with Morelos banned a few times and Lafferty cup tied and out of favour later on. We are absolutely fine with Morelos, Defoe and Stewart as it stands. The chances of Stewart being required to play are extremely remote when we only play 1 up top.

We also have guys like Murphy and Jones who can play through the middle as well.

I've often thought a big target man would be a good option to have, considering how good our fullbacks and wingers are, we got a lot of crosses in to the box.

Back