Another Win For Under 18’s

elfideldo

So Hearts had 3 players out of 10 a full age group younger than our boys . What’s your thoughts on if this is good or not ?
It works for Hearts, they have pushed players up age groups for quite a few seasons now. But as it has been said numerous times on here Hearts are not Rangers.

Rangers do push on exceptional players, Hearts may a have a lower criteria on the standard of player they push on.

One of the Hearts U16 players who played was at Rangers, he was on the fringes of the starting eleven in his age group when he was at Rangers, more often a sub rather than starting.

Based on Friday and how he was when at Rangers, I would say Rangers have two Under 16's in that position ahead of him.

tazzabear

I can assure you what I have said is accurate, i watch these age groups on a weekly basis.

U18's on Friday - Full 18 man squad all U17's and 18's ( Starting XI- 7 x U18's & 4 x U17's). Hearts had 3 x U16's in their starting XI.

U14's on Wed - 2 x U13's involved neither started.

Last weekend 13's - 1 x U12 who started.
14's - 3 x U13 two who started
15's - 2 x U14 started
16's - 1 x U15 & 1 x U14 in squad

This is typical of most weeks.

We have played whole teams up a year against perceived weaker opposition but this once or twice a season at age groups up to U13.
Don’t doubt you for a minute.

Yankeeger

Alex came on last night when the game had opened up and Hearts had a number of younger boys on the pitch. He is a talented boy but has been massively over hyped.
Hearts push their youngsters to play up and develop and put out a very young side last night. Rangers have far too many boys by comparison at each age group and that is a very short sighted policy moving forward.
At U18 level Rangers already have more than 20 boys and are about to sign at least another 3. Bear in mind that if Rangers played all their under 18's (cup games) Alex would struggle to get on the bench.
We are only in September and already boys and their parents are complaining about a lack of game time. That situation will get worse as the season goes on.

I dread to think what the budget is and how it is being justified, bearing in mind just about all of these boys are young professionals.

I find it astonishing that you say due to size of squad that Lowry would struggle to get a place on the bench that’s got to be a huge error with whoever is tasked with creating squad
Why is our club carrying such high numbers when it must surely be detrimental to players progress

happydays

I find it astonishing that you say due to size of squad that Lowry would struggle to get a place on the bench that’s got to be a huge error with whoever is tasked with creating squad
Why is our club carrying such high numbers when it must surely be detrimental to players progress
My understanding is that there are currently 3 midfield / attacking players awaiting international clearance. The squad is already swollen and I think all the boys have at least one and if not two or three years on their contracts.

The academy is far too top heavy in my opinion.

Yankeeger

My understanding is that there are currently 3 midfield / attacking players awaiting international clearance. The squad is already swollen and I think all the boys have at least one and if not two or three years on their contracts.

Can see why the other side are questioning were our money is coming from

elfideldo

I know of two coming in, if it is three that woud take the squad up to 25, this includes the 2004 player who plays up and also Kai Kennedy who won't feature much at U18 if at all, as he has been pushed on.

It not a massive number for a dual age group, but they have to ensure enough games are arranged to give them game time. Playing Queens Park or Thistle every second week is not the type of game required.

The squad was a similar size this time last season and by Christmas a dozen or so had left.

happydays

I know of two coming in, if it is three that woud take the squad up to 25, this includes the 2004 player who plays up and also Kai Kennedy who won't feature much at U18 if at all, as he has been pushed on.

It not a massive number for a dual age group, but they have to ensure enough games are arranged to give them game time. Playing Queens Park or Thistle every second week is not the type of game required.

The squad was a similar size this time last season and by Christmas a dozen or so had left.
Totally respect your knowledge and input, but can only think of a couple of boys who left the 17's/18's last season - both defenders with initials JM and ED. Any other boys were released at the end of the U16 season. There may be one or two others that I am forgetting, but certainly nowhere near a dozen. The picture in the reception area (unless renewed recently is at least 18 months old.

I can only think of one or two of this squad that may be released at Christmas but all are contracted to the end of the season at least.

Apparently the African lad is also coming in subject to clearance.

Yankeeger

Totally respect your knowledge and input, but can only think of a couple of boys who left the 17's/18's last season - both defenders with initials JM and ED. Any other boys were released at the end of the U16 season. There may be one or two others that I am forgetting, but certainly nowhere near a dozen. The picture in the reception area (unless renewed recently is at least 18 months old.

I can only think of one or two of this squad that may be released at Christmas but all are contracted to the end of the season at least.

Is he good ?

Arkanoid

I genuinely think seeing some of these boys in the Alkass Cup beating some of the biggest teams in the world at their age group has whetted fan appetite for some youths to breakthrough

karanja

As the quality of our first team squad improves it will be more difficult for youths to make the breakthrough.
Being a good youngster will no longer be good enough.I think that in the future only exceptional youngsters will make the step up.Whether we have that I don't know but we seem to have an awful lot of 17's,18's who are unlikely to make the grade at our club but likely to have a career at other clubs.

strider

For all this talk of Hearts seemingly better set up - what's happening in the first team with their young players just now? They don't have an abundance coming through and nailing spots.

It's always been the case at top clubs that one or two coming through every few years is a good return. I think we'll exceed that in the short term but not by a huge amount.

Gecekondu

Is he one of the Nigerian boys that were on trial in the summer?

Gecekondu

Whats your thoughts on Umaro Balde mate? Ive watched 3 of his games and thought he looked very impressive considering hes only 16. Also looks like hes very popular with the rest of the team off field and has settled in well.

elfideldo

I think he has been ok, in my opinion his best games were the trial games before he signed. Defensive midfielder the same position as Murray Miller and as both are 2002 the same age in football terms. I thought he would have to be good to get ahead of Murray, haven't seen anything that would change my opinion that Murray is the better player.

Both played last week, but two holding midfielders against a very young Hearts side seemed a very cautious lineup.

SuperGers07

My view is there are too many players and not enough football . Some of these boys in that squad are lucky if they are getting 15 mins game time . I think the standouts in that group are the older boys and Dickson being the top . Lowry for me has a long long way to go . Back off and let them develop.
Interesting that Hearts seem to have a different out look and carrying smaller squads to encourage development

Part of the problem for all clubs is the absolutely stupid SFA who did away with the 17’s age group . There are boys at 15 expected to compete with 18 year olds for game time and development time . It’s crazy

What kind of deal is Dickson on? I know that lot were sniffing before and probably will again if he came up. Think it would be hard to keep him here in all honesty

Yankeeger

I think he has been ok, in my opinion his best games were the trial games before he signed. Defensive midfielder the same position as Murray Miller and as both are 2002 the same age in football terms. I thought he would have to be good to get ahead of Murray, haven't seen anything that would change my opinion that Murray is the better player.

Both played last week, but two holding midfielders against a very young Hearts side seemed a very cautious lineup.

What sort of games/opponents are these trial games these young fellas are put in to show they have the talent to sign for the might Gers ?

Coops2016

What kind of deal is Dickson on? I know that lot were sniffing before and probably will again if he came up. Think it would be hard to keep him here in all honesty
I think their initial contract is 2 years so I assume this is his last . I have no idea so I’m just guessing. Hopefully he keeps under the radar as he is a star

SuperGers07

I think their initial contract is 2 years so I assume this is his last . I have no idea so I’m just guessing. Hopefully he keeps under the radar as he is a star
I'd like to hope so, but that lot were his boyhood team, hopefully Kevin Thomson has drilled it out him

elfideldo

What sort of games/opponents are these trial games these young fellas are put in to show they have the talent to sign for the might Gers ?
It varies, sometimes it is who ever they can get, invariably th means Thistle, Queens Park or Morton. At the start of the season it can be different as its whoever we have arrange to play pre-season.

Umaro Balde played against Queen's Park in April, a game obviously arranged to look at trialists as six played that night.

Pre-season Trialists played in Under 18 games against Thistle, Huddersfield and Fleetwood.

Yankeeger

It varies, sometimes it is who ever they can get, invariably th means Thistle, Queens Park or Morton. At the start of the season it can be different as its whoever we have arrange to play pre-season.

Umaro Balde played against Queen's Park in April, a game obviously arranged to look at trialists as six played that night.

Pre-season Trialists played in Under 18 games against Thistle, Huddersfield and Fleetwood.

I'm looking my bits out if that's the sketch , CV Scottish Amateur Cup winner 1974/75 best time of my life 3 years in magic job up in Glenrothes with added bonus of kicking a baw every week with end result of winning 2-1 at Hampden Park , all went to fxck when I met her

elfideldo

Anywhere to see the Youth Team fixtures, and is it free entry to all? Do they play at the HTC I take it?
It is Free entry, home games are at the HTC. Fixtures change at short notice so they are only confirmed at most a week ahead.

11-a-side fixtures this week

Wednesday - U15's v Hamilton at New Douglas Park, KO 7:15

Thursday - U16's v Kilmarnock, Rugby Park, KO 7PM

Friday - U18's v Motherwell, Braidhurst High School, KO 7:15

Saturday - U13's v Kilmarnock, HTC, KO 10:00

Sunday - U14's v Kilmarnock, William McIlivanney Campus KO 10:00

Saturday - U15's v Kilmarnock was HTC, KO 12:00 BUT NOW SEEMS TO BE AWAY AT St, Joeseph's Academy at 10:00.