Anthony Gerrard Twitter Retort

Jan Žižka

Steven Gerrard’s footballer cousin told a fan on Twitter he had bedded his mum.

Anthony Gerrard, cousin of the former England midfielder, taunted Chesterfield supporters who asked why he had been benched.

The injured defender watched from the stands as his team won 1-0 against Torquay United on Saturday.

One of the club’s fans then tweeted: “What’s your excuse this week, fat boy?”

Club captain Gerrard, 33, quipped: “Pulled my hammy last Saturday night while I was rifling your mother, hope that clears that up.”

Gerrard received a barrage of Twitter comments from angry supporters who dared him to repeat his comment face-to-face.

Another fan caught up in the row was told by the footballer to repeat the abuse to him face-to-face.

Gerrard said: “You’ve got far too much to say for yourself fella, come to the ground on Tuesday and voice your opinion while your standing in front of me, rather than acting brave behind your phone, look forward to seeing you.”

When the supporter asked: “Does 8am suit you?” the Scouser replied: “Say 9, let my full English settle.”

It is not the first time Gerrard has been pulled up for his social media use. He was sacked by Oldham Athletic after allegedly posting a racist joke in a players’ WhatsApp group.

Last night Chesterfield confirmed Gerrard had received a “significant” fine.

The player apologised and said in a statement: “I accept that I was wrong to respond to messages sent to me via social media.

“It was not my intention to bring the club into disrepute.”

Chief executive Graham Bean said the club condemned the posting of inappropriate content.

If you call someone fat boy then get all offended when they have a dig back you are a disgrace of a man.

Mr Bean condemning it and the club fining him is even worse.

Chief executive Graham Bean said the club condemned the posting of inappropriate content.

Last night Chesterfield confirmed Gerrard had received a “significant” fine.

Judging by that he isn't exactly slim!
Watched him last season a lot at Carlisle and if we're being kind here I would say he is big boned.
Loves a tackle though and not much gets past him.His problem is a severe lack of pace

Can’t understand why the player (or anyone else for that matter) would respond to those sort of comments online. Don’t get involved, it’s not worth the hassle.

Football supporters feel empowered to say what they like, however offensive or confrontational, to players in a ground or on social media but then act all offended when they get a bit back at them. I’ve never understood it.

Back in the old days, we used to bait players like Roy Aitken, Peter Grant, Mickey Weir & Frank McGarvey’sWife’sAWhore and when they stuck the fingers up at you or shout something back it got a bloody cheer because it was all seen as being part of the experience.

This idea that you shout abuse and then go and find a policeman when they respond blows my mind.

Back