Anti- Englishness is the root of all bigotry in Scotland

stevie221

For the last 40 years our BBC and other commentators have been allowed to demonise England, something that has always annoyed loyal people. It is where the word "19th Century Terrorist" or "traitor" actually came from.

The hatred at Scotland games is many times stronger than at Ibrox and the root of all bias in Scottish football.

I'm sick of the fact that our reactive thoughts against traitors are seen as bigotry!

Absolutely spot on. Ani English racism is the real thing that has divided this country.
Scotland's actual real shame.
It's what the Yes Movement, SNP, Nationalist, Tartan Army are all driven by.
I was born and bred in Scotland and I'm a Unionist and a Protestant.
I find the anti English, anti Union stuff from Tartan Trannies and the Scottish media, far more offensive than "Orange Bassa" being chanted to me at a football match.
That's all seen as "good craic" though.

I would describe it as anti-British hatred from an ever rising section of SNP influenced Scots. To many of these bigots, they equate English as British and any support for the Union as being a legitimate target for hatred and abuse.

I've said for the last five years, since before, during and after the 2014 referendum, the surge in the support for the so called Scottish Nationalist Party has come from people who care not a jot for Scotland, it's wellbeing and future. The majority of them have jumped from Labour to the SNP because they see this as their biggest and best opportunity to destroy the Union, that is all they care about and so many refuse to see this. This may sound daft, childish even, but If Sinn Fein were allowed to run for power in the next Scottish election under the manifesto that they would united Scotland and the Republic of Ireland and declare Independence from the UK then these same types would drop the SNP and their saltires like a stone.

Don't know if it's the root of all bigotry but you are right of course anti- englishness is a huge problem. I currently work north of Inverness and am forever making the same point which is disappointing because otherwise they are lovely people up that way. The snp have done such a hatchet job on England as a nation people actually believe they are the source of all of Scotland's problems which of course is utter horse shit.

I stood on the the terraces at hampden in the Rangers end at a scotland v England game when that end was full of bears supporting Scotland and a popular chant was “if you hate the fucking English clap your hands”
Our supports attitude to England changed when we signed butcher and woods.

I once asked a Hibs fan why he hates Rangers more than any other club, he said it was because we fly ' English flags '. When I then probed him as to what flags he was referring to, he said it was the Union Jack. I then pointed out to him that the Union flag is a British flag which also incorporates the St.Andrews cross. He genuinely didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I stood on the the terraces at hampden in the Rangers end at a scotland v England game when that end was full of bears supporting Scotland and a popular chant was “if you hate the fucking English clap your hands”

You could easily say though that on the day both Scottish and English hated each other then the following day were fine.

I know when we play them I shout a power of abuse but have many English friends and some English family. Not everyone takes it seriously as the rockets in the tartan army.

You could easily say though that on the day both Scottish and English hated each other then the following day were fine.

I know when we play them I shout a power of abuse but have many English friends and some English family. Not everyone takes it seriously as the rockets in the tartan army.
Agreed but I can’t agree with the op that anti Englishness is the root of the bigotry in the last 40 years.the troubles in NI had a much greater effect on widening the divide than any anti Englishness

Don't worry too much about this because the vast majority down here could not give a flying %^*& what any of these think about the English...never think about it not bothered.

Strange thing as well...when England have a game on theres no Celtic tops roaming round Benidorm burning flags and that.

Anti Englishness is a Scotland wide problem, the bigotry/sectarianism is pretty much only an issue in Glasgow.

Basically we are a nation of small minded bigots anti english anti protestant anti semitic anti Catholic, etc etc. Country has never been more divided , education, gov in particular have done nothing to heal division.

For the last 40 years our BBC and other commentators have been allowed to demonise England, something that has always annoyed loyal people. It is where the word "19th Century Terrorist" or "traitor" actually came from.

The hatred at Scotland games is many times stronger than at Ibrox and the root of all bias in Scottish football.

I'm sick of the fact that our reactive thoughts against traitors are seen as bigotry!
Absolutely nailed it.

I don't think anyone took it out of the football ground and into their everyday life regarding politics etc.
I didn't miss an England game for almost two decades when I was younger and the Scotland support was majority Rangers fans, but there was no trouble between the supporters, indeed in the earlier matches we stood amongst each other and shared a crack with England supporters whilst ironically belting out the songs you referenced.

I agree with that mate it’s been stoked up by the secessionists. Not word is ever said too.

For me it’s faith based schools.
It's strange reading how the Catholic schools in Scotland are apparently so biased.Where I live in England a lot of people in my town in Staffordshire are quite happy sending their kids to Catholic schools even if they aint Catholic.The main Cof E school in my town is in a catchment area where the houses prices are high.So some folks send their kids to the local Catholic school ,particularly if they are believers.Apparently half the kids in the Catholic schools are not Catholic .They don't have loads of Nuns and Priests running around the place either.Seems strange that we live in the same country and the difference in the Catholic schooling is so vastly different.Seems like ther is a massive 'policitcal'slant in the Scottish Catholic schools

I must admit here that I was guilty of said anti-English nonsense when I was about 16 and 17 years of age. Going to Hampden for the home internationals and shouting English c*nts and English bastards etc. was an example along with stupid, juvenile leftie political views.

But that was when I was young, daft, naive and totally unworldly. I then kind of "grew up" and realised how ridiculous it all was.

Problem is, some of them never grow out if it, just look at the cringeworthy, embarrassing behaviour of the SNP in Westminster or the "protests", "rallies", and "marches" by the yessers who seem to be totally oblivious to the fact that the majority of the Scottish people are also proud unionists.

My English friends and work colleagues are totally baffled by the childish anti-English behaviour of some of these clowns.

Last edited:
I must admit here that I was guilty of said anti-English nonsense when I was about 16 and 17 years of age. Going to Hampden for the home internationals and shouting English c*nts and English bastards etc. was an example along with stupid, juvenile leftie political views.

But that was when I was young, daft, naive and totally unworldly. I then kind of "grew up" and realised how ridiculous it all was.

Problem is, some of them never grow out if it, just look at the cringeworthy, embarrassing behaviour of the SNP in Westminster or the "protests", "rallies", and "marches" by the yessers who seem to be totally oblivious to the fact that the majority of the Scottish people are also proud unionists.

My English friends and work colleagues are totally baffled by the childish anti-English behaviour of some of these clowns.
Your English mates are probably strangely and unreasonably a bit embarrassed by it as well. I'm English and on the few occasions I've been on the (only very minor tbf) receiving end of any anti English sentiment by someone from the other parts of the British isles I've been vaguely irritated but also embarrassed for them, as if they're trying too hard somehow. It's like they want you to know how very Scots/Welsh/Irish they are by their difference to you. I think Freud called it "the narcissism of small difference", you're a little bit different to someone nearby so you make a big deal of it. Sorry for getting so poncey there, quoting Freud btw!

"The snp have done such a hatchet job on England"
No, they are doing such a hatchet job on Scotland.
Their representatives came round our way after the referendum trying to gather support. Hunted them, then watched them getting hunted from most of the neighbours.

Modern-day Scotland

Or@nge bastard .......lol
H@n bastard ........lol
English B@stard .....Double lol
Feni@n Bastard .......Evil sectarian bigotry

It's strange reading how the Catholic schools in Scotland are apparently so biased.Where I live in England a lot of people in my town in Staffordshire are quite happy sending their kids to Catholic schools even if they aint Catholic.The main Cof E school in my town is in a catchment area where the houses prices are high.So some folks send their kids to the local Catholic school ,particularly if they are believers.Apparently half the kids in the Catholic schools are not Catholic .They don't have loads of Nuns and Priests running around the place either.Seems strange that we live in the same country and the difference in the Catholic schooling is so vastly different.Seems like ther is a massive 'policitcal'slant in the Scottish Catholic schools
100% correct. Where I live in England they seem to reckon the kids get a better education. Not sure myself I reckon that’s Bollocks but the point is it’s not on religious grounds. Religion doesn’t come into anything down here. As would be the same if they didn’t segregate the kids at 5 at home. Then complain about so called sectarian issues

Reactions: jtc
It wasnt many years ago i was referred to as an english bastard by a teacher in front of the class at school. More than once and by several different teachers i may add.
I had a steady stream of people call me an English bastard when I manned a polling station on the day of the separatist referendum.

I've been in England for the last 10 days.
This is the longest I've ever spent in this country.

I'm about as English as Pele.

Nail on head m8.

Agreed but I can’t agree with the op that anti Englishness is the root of the bigotry in the last 40 years. The troubles in NI had a much greater effect on widening the divide than any anti Englishness

Think you're wrong DB. I grew up in Belfast during theTroubles and the divide was obviously there and still is.

However since the late 90s the divide in Scotland has widened considerably and that's SFA to do with the Troubles.

Much more to do with the bigoted republican chattering classes and media in Scotland and then the Natz in later years.

100% correct. Where I live in England they seem to reckon the kids get a better education. Not sure myself I reckon that’s Bollocks but the point is it’s not on religious grounds. Religion doesn’t come into anything down here. As would be the same if they didn’t segregate the kids at 5 at home. Then complain about so called sectarian issues
When I was first married over ten year ago my non religious wife wanted her eldest lad to go to the Catholic School for the discipline compared to the non denominational highschool.Im a believer so I was happy with doing it..to be honest the Catholic school is aint no more religious than the c of e one I went to in the 80's.Im now remarried to a younger women[no] and got three young girls three or under.I would like them in faith schools.I feel very Protestant and British.The older I get the more the feeling increases.The town im from was a mining town so we havn't got loads of Irish immigration .The kids at the Catholic schools who are Catholic see themselves as English/British from what I can gather.Some of the few seiks and Muslims even send their kids there.It has totally different ethics to the Scottish Catholic schools.So strange the difference.It's political isn't ?I get why there is so much hostility in Scotland to the schools.I wouldn't even consider sending any kid of mine to a RC north of the border if I lived there.Tbh if I lived in Scotland I would have to consider who I voted for .Here iv been Labour till last two elections then ukip.Never voted Tory in my life yet if I lived in Scotland I think they'd be the party to vote for.Strange how working class white lads can feel more culturely in line with the Tories these days than the labour ?.Last time I was up in Scotland 2015 I stayed near Kirkcudbright.Fine no bother.Went up to Glasgow to see my mate from my area who was living in Shawlands .we went into the City centre .I sensed a anti Englishness kicking about.Im not talking banter.iv grew up with Scottish people around me in my town who come down for the mines in the 60's ..my neighbour is from East Aryshire.A wonderful lady.No im talking about feeling a little bit wary who im talking to in a city I consider better than any English city bar Durham.Who's to blame.?jimmy Krankie and her mob in my opinion.

Sometimes it seems more like anti-Britishness. The amount of people that rage against the British Empire who seem to forget (or don’t like to admit) that Scotland was an integral part of it.
Mate, I have ranted about this before. The ScotNat agenda is to airbrush Scotland's involvement in Empire from history. Three things made Scotland punch above its weight on the world stage:

The Act of Union
The Protestant Reformation
The 1688 Revolution

The scum who dominate Scotland's politics want to distance our very own country from all three.

Is English a race ? The thing is the ones who are anti English are the same race as them

Mate, I have ranted about this before. The ScotNat agenda is to airbrush Scotland's involvement in Empire from history. Three things made Scotland punch above its weight on the world stage:

The Act of Union
The Protestant Reformation
The 1688 Revolution

The scum who dominate Scotland's politics want to distance our very own country from all three.

It’s not so black and white as “bad England” “good Scotland”. After the Darien Scheme Scotland was in trouble financially (yes the bribery etc but what would have happened to Scotland if the Union didn’t occur?)

You wonder if the Nats are aware that we could be on the road to being an isolated, insular little backwater if they get their way. And who would they blame then?

It’s not so black and white as “bad England” “good Scotland”. After the Darien Scheme Scotland was in trouble financially (yes the bribery etc but what would have happened to Scotland if the Union didn’t occur?)

You wonder if the Nats are aware that we could be on the road to being an isolated, insular little backwater if they get their way. And who would they blame then?
You're right and the Nats use the Darien project as a stick to beat we Unionists with, "Aye, we were forced in to it" and the rest of their shite. Terrific post, mate.

Honestly had this with a co-worker the other week - mentioned the state of the economy after the Darien Scheme and was literally blasted back against the wall with her shouting “WE WERE BRIBED!!” Couldn’t get a word in edgeways so gave up! Think that’s their way.......

Back