Antwerp fan assessment of our squad

Crispy Bacon

Official Ticketer
Knicked from their forum, it’s mental how a fan from Belgium can give this assesment yet you ask a pape/smsm and we’re “just well coached”

I think the Rangers are just a bit underestimated, because they don't come from a big competition.
I also saw one and a half of their 2 matches against Standard and that was indeed not really convincing, but very sophisticated.
(The weather conditions were of such a nature in 1 of the matches that you could not expect eye-catching football anyway.)

I think the Rangers are a very balanced team with a lot of experience and with a lot of different players who can score a goal.
For the time being, our press is only talking about Kemar Roofe (12 goals this season) and Ianis Hagi (5 goals) because they played in Belgium, but they are certainly not their stars, let alone their backbone.
Besides the above two there is also around:

Goalkeeper:
Alan McGregor. Just turned 39. Already experienced everything. Icon.

Defense:
Right wingback: James Tavernier: 29y Captain and probably their best player. Top scorer with 17 goals (+ a lot of assists) this season!
Center-back: Connor Goldson: 28y, bear (> 1.90m), late bloomer, has played every minute this season and regularly scores with a head (8 goals).
Central defender: Leon Balogun 32y or Filip Helander 27y, both bears (> 1.90m) and both have a lot of experience.
Left wingback: Borna Barisic: 28y, physical walking wonder and assistant king.

Central Midfield:
Steven Davis: 36y Metronome in Midfield. Icon.
Scott Arfield: 32y, very good and smart football player, scores regularly (7 goals).
Glen Kamara 25y or Joe Aribo 24y: Vacuum cleaner

Left winger:
Ryan Kent 24y dangerous winger, (7 goals, 11 assists) Striker

:
Alfredo Morelos 24y, complete striker with a nose for goals. Top scorer in Scotland last season. Maybe a little less in shape at the moment.

And then I limit myself to the players with the most minutes and I leave a lot of players who are blooming out of this overview.
This Rangers is just a rock solid whole and a difficult opponent to play, where the danger comes from everywhere.
With 4 wins and 2 draws unbeaten in the group stage.
They can also afford to rotate a bit before and between the EL matches, given their generous lead in their own competition.
If they would now also succeed in eliminating even the Great Old, I see them getting quite far in the Europa League.

source.gif

Center-back: Connor Goldson: 28y, bear (> 1.90m), late bloomer, has played every minute this season and regularly scores with a head (8 goals)

I'd have had a few in front of him, still a decent description though :))

Knicked from their forum, it’s mental how a fan from Belgium can give this assesment yet you ask a pape/smsm and we’re “just well coached”

I think the Rangers are just a bit underestimated, because they don't come from a big competition.
I also saw one and a half of their 2 matches against Standard and that was indeed not really convincing, but very sophisticated.
(The weather conditions were of such a nature in 1 of the matches that you could not expect eye-catching football anyway.)

I think the Rangers are a very balanced team with a lot of experience and with a lot of different players who can score a goal.
For the time being, our press is only talking about Kemar Roofe (12 goals this season) and Ianis Hagi (5 goals) because they played in Belgium, but they are certainly not their stars, let alone their backbone.
Besides the above two there is also around:

Goalkeeper:
Alan McGregor. Just turned 39. Already experienced everything. Icon.

Defense:
Right wingback: James Tavernier: 29y Captain and probably their best player. Top scorer with 17 goals (+ a lot of assists) this season!
Center-back: Connor Goldson: 28y, bear (> 1.90m), late bloomer, has played every minute this season and regularly scores with a head (8 goals).
Central defender: Leon Balogun 32y or Filip Helander 27y, both bears (> 1.90m) and both have a lot of experience.
Left wingback: Borna Barisic: 28y, physical walking wonder and assistant king.

Central Midfield:
Steven Davis: 36y Metronome in Midfield. Icon.
Scott Arfield: 32y, very good and smart football player, scores regularly (7 goals).
Glen Kamara 25y or Joe Aribo 24y: Vacuum cleaner

Left winger:
Ryan Kent 24y dangerous winger, (7 goals, 11 assists) Striker

:
Alfredo Morelos 24y, complete striker with a nose for goals. Top scorer in Scotland last season. Maybe a little less in shape at the moment.

And then I limit myself to the players with the most minutes and I leave a lot of players who are blooming out of this overview.
This Rangers is just a rock solid whole and a difficult opponent to play, where the danger comes from everywhere.
With 4 wins and 2 draws unbeaten in the group stage.
They can also afford to rotate a bit before and between the EL matches, given their generous lead in their own competition.
If they would now also succeed in eliminating even the Great Old, I see them getting quite far in the Europa League.
I think a Bear would be hard pushed to submit such an accurate and eloquent assessment.

Tres Bon Belgique.

It is a breath of fresh air to hear someone not of your ilk speak of Rangers in a respectfull way, that is what went wrong at the piggery, they thought we were dead ,the mhedia told them they were "invincibles" and they believed the lies, they constantly told us we were not good enough yet even when we elevated Scottish football in Europe, we were lucky, aye well, no need to look behind! Celtic!, just lift your eyes forward and Up

Vacuum cleaner is a brilliant bit of wordsmith-ing
Willy van de Kerkof PSV was the original “vacuum cleaner”. In Dutch Stofzuiger.

Van de Kerkhof was een snelle, veel lopende middenvelder, die behalve opbouwend en aanvallend ook meeverdedigend werk verrichtte. Hij kreeg als voetballer de bijnaam 'De Stofzuiger' vanwege zijn verdiensten als balveroveraar en verdedigende werk, waarbij hij achter elke bal aan ging

Back