Antwerp training at Auchenhowie

Which players would you rather not have signed so we could re-lay the pitch with a premium hybrid surface? Or are we so wealthy that we just have an extra few hundred k lying around in petty cash in a season with no matchday income?

Good grief - some folk just need to be irate about something.
Which players would you rather not have signed so we could re-lay the pitch with a premium hybrid surface? Or are we so wealthy that we just have an extra few hundred k lying around in petty cash in a season with no matchday income?

Good grief - some folk just need to be irate about something.

You’re not an idiot, so I know your taking the piss.

They are remotely different budgets.

You want a name though, we shouldn’t pay Barker and invest in a pitch instead, if that helps your argument.

Motherwell, who are skint and shite and cannot experience vastly different weather to Govan, they had a better pitch than us.

It's been well documented that the pitch and the whole underlying structure is way past it's use by date. Literally.

Hence relaying the turf alone each season does pretty much does nothing to improve things and we end up with the state it is in.

Shocking actually considering the money that’s been spent on t(e pitch, how many minutes of football has been played on it this season

I don't understand why they don't cover it if it keeps cutting up like it does. Keep it dry as best you can. Water it only if needed. But the pitch has had problems for a few years.
Jesus H Christ. Look up photosynthesis.
For grass to grow it needs 3 basic things. Water, aeration and sunlight. You've just eliminated sunlight and water.
Too much or too little of any one would damage even kill the grass, especially if it's weak to start with, as in unestablished newly laid pitches.

It rains in Glasgow over 300 days a year on average. Yesterday the rain was teaming down for over 24 hours. In Winter the grass doesn't grow so the pitch takes a doing. Hopefully next season they are going to use the same system as the epl.
Average is 170 days , so anywhere between 150 and 200 days a year- also not all rain days count as volume is also a factor ( I sound so ASD ).
Could the fact Ibrox sits next to the clyde not be the problem as imagine water table must be a factor?

I miss the following threads from during the season that seem to be regurgitated:

Smoking in the toilets
Catering at Ibrox
G4S thread
Thanking a bear for finding his wallet

But this is an outrage. How dare we not allow them to train on the park. A sterm letter of complaint should be directed to Mr David King through 1st class royal mail.

For grass to grow it needs 3 basic things. Water, aeration and sunlight. You've just eliminated sunlight and water.
Too much or too little of any one would damage even kill the grass, especially if it's weak to start with, as in unestablished newly laid pitches.
And a wee bit heat. Grass stops growing around 5 degrees and only starts again around 8 degrees. We haven’t had many 8 degree days recently.

You want a name though, we shouldn’t pay Barker and invest in a pitch instead, if that helps your argument.

Motherwell, who are skint and shite and cannot experience vastly different weather to Govan, they had a better pitch than us.
I think the difference in height of the stands will probably effect the sunlight quite dramatically which will make growing conditions very different. I’ve no input on the idiot debate. :)

It's end of February after a particularly cold and wet spell, every pitch in Scotland is the same
Surely pitches in the north of England should be just as poor. The Leeds pitch was brutal, but it's a temporary surface. Other teams seem to have good surfaces. There must be a solution.

Surely pitches in the north of England should be just as poor. The Leeds pitch was brutal, but it's a temporary surface. Other teams seem to have good surfaces. There must be a solution.
This.

The likes of Anfield is what we should be aspiring to.

Yes, it will take some investment, but their pitch is absolutely immaculate. Like a carpet. And Liverpool is hardly a warm, sunny desert location.

There are solutions out there. Plenty clubs using these solutions. Let's just hope we do soon.

We know we've got an issue with the pitch. Hopefully it is addressed in the summer with a bit more time before qualifiers etc.
Either way nothing's going to happen before the end of the season so little point in continuing to gripe. Point made.

It doesn't look great but it's no worse than any other in the country (Motherwells is lauded on here but it's fucked as well) and the weather really hasn't helped, though as discussed it's not the only factor.
It's actually playing ok.

Motherwell's pitch is some 60 meters above the height of Ibrox, so they won't have the drainage problems and water table problems we do. they did a massive renovation on their pitch recently. Took over 7 years to get where it is now.
There isn't a switch anywhere to flick.
Also, they don't have the stands we do, blocking both sunlight and air flow across the surface.

It rains in Glasgow over 300 days a year on average. Yesterday the rain was teaming down for over 24 hours. In Winter the grass doesn't grow so the pitch takes a doing. Hopefully next season they are going to use the same system as the epl.
Does it rain any less in Manchester?

Hasn't been good since we dropped the pitch to accommodate extra seats. Not complaining about that right enough I went from row C in the Govan front to row F!

Might be out of our price range but there's a drying system been put into the greens at Augusta and Wentworth golf course called Subair.
Unsure as to how it could be used on a football pitch but anything is possible these days.

What is the same system as the EPL interested to learn?

We would all love this but sadly yhe investment and upkeep is out of our range as it stands. We would have to increase stafffing numbers to start with.
I said recently that I would happily have £20 or so added to the price of my ST if it meant we could properly invest in and maintain a high standard of pitch. That's about £1m a year which could be set aside and would go purely to the upkeep of the pitch. I'd like to think most ST holders wouldn't begrudge £20 a year if it meant we had a proper pitch to watch games on.

We have to seriously start looking at ways to address this situation, because we are pissing in the wind with the current structure.

Last edited:
Our pitch is shit we know it but we can't continually get angry and embarrassed every single week we have a match. Come back and get angry and embarrassed again if it's not fixed by August, but save the fake outrage for at least 1 game

The pitch at Ibrox has been a mess for a good few years in my opinion. It would appear to be a drainage issue, or lack of use of an industrial aerator. I'm not a grass expert but can see with my eyes.

Edit: not that kind of grass anyway B-D

We would need a wimbledon centre court style roof to address the pitch problem at Ibrox.
This is Glasgow. It’s very wet, and very cold a lot.

Our pitch is a shit show.

It is embarrassing and needs sorted.

It is no wetter in Glasgow than large parts of England.

We made a decision, cheaped out and paying the price.
Ffs how long have you been supporting Rangers. It’s knon fact that’s the water table from the Clyde that causes the problem. When excess rain the water gets pushed back from the Clyde. Not a lot they can do ,the experts been trying for years to come up with something , iwould expect it would be a big cost if the did.

In a nutshell.

The board have put absolutely no priority on our playing surface and whole underlying structure. Thus we have a shit show of a pitch after about a dozen home games each season.

Not good enough.

Standards.
I think the board keep their eye on the financial side and leave the football to the football guys. HOWEVER they should bear in mind that our footballers play better on a good pitch, so win more home games, leading to more success and more money. So yes a bit more investment on the pitch makes sense.

I think the board keep their eye on the financial side and leave the football to the football guys. HOWEVER they should bear in mind that our footballers play better on a good pitch, so win more home games, leading to more success and more money. So yes a bit more investment on the pitch makes sense.
Exactly.

That's where I'm coming from mate. The playing surface goes hand in hand with our style of football and to provide the players with the surface to maximise their performance. It should not be treated as a low priority afterthought.

Ffs how long have you been supporting Rangers. It’s knon fact that’s the water table from the Clyde that causes the problem. When excess rain the water gets pushed back from the Clyde. Not a lot they can do ,the experts been trying for years to come up with something , iwould expect it would be a big cost if the did.

The pitch has never been this bad since the early 90’s.

Has the water table moved in that time? :)

We made an invest decision, the wrong one, as such, we are experiencing a shit pitch.

Not everything has to be happy clappy pish when it comes to Rangers. It is ok to clearly identify a shortcoming.

Do you think Gerrard is sitting there using the weather as an excuse?

We know it will rain. We have covers. We have lights. We have groundsmen. Sadly, the pitch has been forgotten about of late and we are paying the price.

It is no difference to any maintenance job. Failure to invest and it will fail.

In a nutshell.

The board have put absolutely no priority on our playing surface and whole underlying structure. Thus we have a shit show of a pitch after about a dozen home games each season.

Not good enough.

Standards.
Our pitch is a shit show.

It is embarrassing and needs sorted.

It is no wetter in Glasgow than large parts of England.

We made a decision, cheaped out and paying the price.
I find the above hard to believe?

It seems that we have ripped up and relaid our pitch numerous times in the past few years?

Last time was only a year or so ago. So we are spending the money (I believe) so the pitch should be as good as it can??

I find the above hard to believe?

It seems that we have ripped up and relaid our pitch numerous times in the past few years?

Last time was only a year or so ago. So we are spending the money (I believe) so the pitch should be as good as it can??

@HumpZ did a good, detailed response on this before.

He might dig it out. (Excuse the pun).

For a layman like me, it sounds like we did the superficial stuff, but the root cause wasn’t rectified due to price/other priorities.

I am in no way horticulturally motivated, and know not what it would take to improve things, but I remember in the late 60's/early 70's we used to use huge wooden framed blocks, that were see through plastic/polyurethane to cover the pitch, to protect it from snow (I think).
Not sure if that would work or not, but it would not eliminate the sun.
They could also be easily and quickly removed to allow watering if needed
I've been away a long time, but do you get much sun in Glasgow in January and February?

I didn't suggest suffocating/covering the pitch till the grass died. I know what it photosynthesis is, thanks. The pitch could still be covered and allow for water, light and oxygen. Apparently that little trick has still to be invented.

That would be like locking you in a cupbaord with no food or water for a week then getting you to come out and perform for 90 minutes at your highest level. I'm glad you're not a groundsman ;)
At what point did I suggest covering the pitch and allowing the grass to rot. I didn't literally mean cover it without access to what it would also need to keep it alive. Even intermittently covering whilst allowing for essentials would do something.

The pigeons on the pitch indicated seed has been put down so it’ll need light to grow. Covering it would just give us dryer mud.
I get that. There must be a system out there that can provide the pitch some protective covering whilst still allowing for lights and oxygen for the grass to remain healthy

I get that. There must be a system out there that can provide the pitch some protective covering whilst still allowing for lights and oxygen for the grass to remain healthy
I suppose it would need to be like a low greenhouse/growing box style thing that I think they use on cricket pitches. A cover with 1inch spikes to hold it up a bit. Patented!

I suppose it would need to be like a low greenhouse/growing box style thing that I think they use on cricket pitches. A cover with 1inch spikes to hold it up a bit. Patented!
It would need to allow for drainage, I've seen similar systems used for outdoor hydroponic systems. But I don't know how easy they are to manouvere. Anything to help would be better than nothing.

Back