Any Bears in Phnom Penh, Cambodia?

Norskger

Hello, 3 of my flights out this country this week have been cancelled and looks like I am going to be stuck here for a while. Any bears out here who know of decent places to stay etc. I've been to Cambodia many times over the years so know it quite well, but not PP. (phone stolen last week too). $5000 to fly back to Glasgow this week I just could not afford. Already spent nearly two and a half grand on flights to get home all cancelled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or how to get out this country. Thanks

Hello, 3 of my flights out this country this week have been cancelled and looks like I am going to be stuck here for a while. Any bears out here who know of decent places to stay etc. I've been to Cambodia many times over the years so know it quite well, but not PP. (phone stolen last week too). $5000 to fly back to Glasgow this week I just could not afford. Already spent nearly two and a half grand on flights to get home all cancelled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or how to get out this country. Thanks
If safe to do so can you cross the border to Thailand, may have more luck from the likes of Bangkok or other major capitals, KL or Singapore? Other than that surely the Embassy can help after all Brits have been told they must come home

If safe to do so can you cross the border to Thailand, may have more luck from the likes of Bangkok or other major capitals, KL or Singapore? Other than that surely the Embassy can help after all Brits have been told they must come home
They closed all the borders with Cambodia last week. I went to the British Embassy and all they said was book a flight home asap and with Cathay Pacific, via Hong Kong. As other places will be closed. Flight booked with Cathay Pacific, later on they close Hong Kong airport for transit, so that flight is gone now. They were actually pretty useless the Embassy.

If you’re after a simple but clean and cheap fan room for $7, go to Capitol GH. That’s the place you tend to find the long termers and they’re often pretty clued up, although this all changes so fast as you know all too well.

I‘d similar late last week when arriving at a sea border to Singapore. They let me through only because my flight out was on the same day I arrived. Otherwise I’d be sitting in the same boat in Jakarta.

Are the Thais still allowing folk over the border as long as they’ve got a visa and virus test certificate?

If you’re after a simple but clean and cheap fan room for $7, go to Capitol GH. That’s the place you tend to find the long termers and they’re often pretty clued up, although this all changes so fast as you know all too well.

I‘d similar late last week when arriving at a sea border to Singapore. They let me through only because my flight out was on the same day I arrived. Otherwise I’d be sitting in the same boat in Jakarta.

Are the Thais still allowing folk over the border as long as they’ve got a visa and virus test certificate?
Great thanks for that mate. No, all border crossings are closed.

Not possible now, spoke with Cathay Pacific and they cannot do anything until a few weeks time. Funds are very limited and the virus is pretty rife here, but least life is going on like normal though and I can get out, although just spending all day and night on this laptop in the hotel room contacting anything I can think of.

Best of luck bud.

We got out of Bangkok yesterday on what was one of the last Emirates flights. Had to fly to London as opposed to Amsterdam as those flights just aren’t running.
With more and more flights just dropping off you have probably two options:

1) Contact British Embassy to see about a repatriation flight?

2) Give serious thought to getting to Thailand or the like and riding it out somewhere relatively cheap.

If only there were flights to Reunion Island I'd give you free board and lodgings, my apartment is empty as we are in lockdown for the foreseeable and isolating on ship, very much doubt our apartement will see any life for a few months until this is clear. Wish you well and stay safe.

Forgive me if you already know but if you’re stuck for a bit and thinking of escaping the city to head to the beach, forget Snooky at the moment. It’s a full on building site, unpleasant and any available rooms are costly. Kampot/Kep area better option by far.

There used to be a Rangers bar called Up & Down Bar just half a mile from Sharky’s, around St 136. I’d a quick look for it last month but didn’t see it. Maybe some 136 regulars could tell you if it’s moved or gone now.

Forgive me if you already know but if you’re stuck for a bit and thinking of escaping the city to head to the beach, forget Snooky at the moment. It’s a full on building site, unpleasant and any available rooms are costly. Kampot/Kep area better option by far.

There used to be a Rangers bar called Up & Down Bar just half a mile from Sharky’s, around St 136. I’d a quick look for it last month but didn’t see it. Maybe some 136 regulars could tell you if it’s moved or gone now.

Sihanoukville is hell on earth. The worst place I've ever visited.

Mrs bag got stolen out her hands there, insulin pens the lot, gone. Luckily she had 1 spare in her case and i told her to remove her passport that morning. Genuine slum.

my advice to anyone who wants to visit Cambodia - don’t.

Same thing happened to a couple of backpackers we befriended. They put their bags down for a second and they vanished. Everything gone.

Cambodia is a crazy place but I'd never be back. It's just exhausting and the amount of sex tourism is gross.

Hope you get sorted OP. Keep us updated.

Are the hotels remaining open in Cambodia?. I live and work in Mandalay, Myanmar. The borders have just all been closed and been told that they might close all hotels ( i live in a hotel) If the government here decide to do this then I will quite literally be living on the streets for god knows how long. and you should see the state of the streets here. It would be your worst nightmare coming true. Add to that fact that there is an increasing hostility towards foreigners at the moment.

Saved! A Facebook page was created with all the Brits stuck over here in Cambodia, and one teacher from England enquired about chartering a plane to take us back home to the UK. Sounded a bit sceptical, but we have had absolutely no help whatsoever from the British Embassy.
He needed at least 70 people to take a ticket, over 100 tickets sold, purchased mine today and I depart tomorrow and arrive in London on Saturday.
This guy is a legend, organised it with meetings with Malaysian Airlines, all confirmed and booked through the official Malaysian Airlines website, in their office in Phnom Penh today. We had to go in there to receive a special code to put into the booking.
Flight departs 18:30 tomorrow to KL then onto London. Delighted.
The French Embassy got all their people home, UK embassy have been horrendous. But now the media and politicians are involved in how we were treated and left over here.
So it is a good news story! Although I will miss being in a place where everything is open as normal, but glad to be home.
Self isolation sorted for 3 weeks also.
Thanks for the comments and support and help. There's still some seats left on that flight if you hear of anyone in the same situation. No Surrender

Saved! A Facebook page was created with all the Brits stuck over here in Cambodia, and one teacher from England enquired about chartering a plane to take us back home to the UK. Sounded a bit sceptical, but we have had absolutely no help whatsoever from the British Embassy.
He needed at least 70 people to take a ticket, over 100 tickets sold, purchased mine today and I depart tomorrow and arrive in London on Saturday.
This guy is a legend, organised it with meetings with Malaysian Airlines, all confirmed and booked through the official Malaysian Airlines website, in their office in Phnom Penh today. We had to go in there to receive a special code to put into the booking.
The French Embassy got all their people home, UK embassy have been horrendous. But now the media and politicians are involved in how we were treated and left over here.
So it is a good news story! Although I will miss being in a place where everything is open as normal, but glad to be home.
Thanks for the comments and support and help. There's still some seats left on that flight if you hear of anyone in the same situation. No Surrender
Nice one mate safe travels

Fantastic news.

Spent a month in Cambodia and as much as I liked it it's not the kind of place I'd like to be stuck in a situation like this.

There was 2 young English lads on the news the other night who were/are stuck there and they said restaurants/hotels/hostels were turning their backs on foreigners and refusing to serve them etc.

Good to hear,
Safe travels mate.

Mrs bag got stolen out her hands there, insulin pens the lot, gone. Luckily she had 1 spare in her case and i told her to remove her passport that morning. Genuine slum.

my advice to anyone who wants to visit Cambodia - don’t.
Nah. Would go back tomorrow if I could.

Got any details on phone numbers or emails? I am still a member of a couple of sites that cover thailand and Cambo so can post on them.

Good to hear you've got something sorted

Really feel for folk stuck abroad .

Guy I work with's daughter was in South America on a cruise ship and had to get about 6 different flights to get back to the UK, nightmare but she was one of the lucky ones to get back.

Great to hear you are sorted for your flight - please keep us updated so we know when you are home safe and well.

Got any details on phone numbers or emails? I am still a member of a couple of sites that cover thailand and Cambo so can post on them.
Tell them to go onto Facebook and the page "Stuck in Cambodia UK"

Back