Any Ibrox Train Station Update?

Anyone who knows how the rail industry works and how difficult it is to add new stations on to an existing line knows this isn’t happening anytime soon. They couldn’t get a line to Glasgow Airport ffs and that would be busy every day, not every fortnight.

A platform for match day stops would be great but it would have to be DDA compliant, and be able to cope with heavy crowds. That would cost a lot of money which for a few hours every fortnight would simply not be worth it.

Dream on, basically, unless there’s serious development around the Ibrox area and a stop becomes viable

The Jacobs report regarding Glasgow Airport Access Project is illustrative of the constraints currently on these lines. An additional stop would mean longer train times and ultimately result in a GVA reduction, as daft as that sounds. Meaning it wouldn't pass an cost/benefit analysis in order to allow public investment.

Reopening the station would need a strong business case that reflects the softer benefits (inclusive growth) before this could get off the ground.

I think the more realistic option would be for the club/C1872/others to renovate and own the station themselves. Then try to get the network rail buy in to get additional stops on game days/nights. That in itself doesn't sound very realistic though, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

There will soon be a Govan/Partick pedestrian bridge that will allow some to walk straight to Partick station and alleviate some of the subway congestion - I myself am looking forward to that. It could be an opportunity for the club to work with the city to help develop the public realm from the stadium along this route, as there is certainly money going into it.

Heard about what the report says re capacity. I always thought that effectively the airport link was built as far a Paisley, with the additional running line and platforms in Central. I think there are politics involved, latest suggestion tra. M-trains, SNP don't like trams.
Could we get the station under the city deal?

Anyone who knows how the rail industry works and how difficult it is to add new stations on to an existing line knows this isn’t happening anytime soon. They couldn’t get a line to Glasgow Airport ffs and that would be busy every day, not every fortnight.

A platform for match day stops would be great but it would have to be DDA compliant, and be able to cope with heavy crowds. That would cost a lot of money which for a few hours every fortnight would simply not be worth it.

Dream on, basically, unless there’s serious development around the Ibrox area and a stop becomes viable
So is this basically just smoke and mirrors from Dornans in order to get parking restrictions round the stadium in.?

The opportunity for it was there when they had the rugby sevens at Ibrox, however the powers at be decided to invest the bare minimum in the infrastructure around Ibrox. We got what? A bus lane on the squinty bridge and by Pacific quay?

As much as I’d want a station at Ibrox, it ain’t happening.

The 7s was a shambles. Queues backed down and round the corner to Argyle Street at St Enoch. Ended up at Bridge Street and going long way through Govan.

Train station would have been a massive difference that day

There has been work getting carried out on the site for a few months... loads of earth being moved, some sort of road(?) being built and loads of other “stuff” going on with tractors, diggers and other heavy plant.

Guy I work with said he spoke to the guy in charge and he was told it was the prep work for a new station...

Its not. It's a test track being built for new subway trains.

For those asking about the issue of the timetabling when they trains would be

Glasgow to Gourock only 2 an hour currently stop at Cardonald & Hillington West & East stations so Ibrox would probably be added to that schedule if it did happen

Given the surrounding population and the ease of access to the city centre a station in that spot would get as much or more use than either of the Hillingtons and Cardonald. Five minutes to central against probably 15-20 on the bus. And that's before you count footfall to Ibrox on matchdays. There's additional express lines through there so the station shouldn't affect the other trains that don't stop - although on a matchday Saturday you'd want them all to stop I suppose.

So is this basically just smoke and mirrors from Dornans in order to get parking restrictions round the stadium in.?
Yip, that's it exactly. Yeah, we'll maybe give you a train station, get the parking restrictions through and it will never be mentioned again.

When I was a lad the station was still in operation but it was very rarely used. The White City was still there and this was before the motorway was built. At the top of the steps was a cafe, which later became a bookmakers, and of course the Ibrox House pub was there at the time. Yeah useless info now, but we live in a time when we are being encouraged to use public transport.
The only reason the wheels have not been set in motion to help alleviate match day traffic at Rangers home games, is a lack of political will( or prejudice).

They put Specials on for Hampden concerts and football ,I don't know if it could be a option for match days they could have 7 cars on or 6 depending what units they would use.

Who the f*ck knows what Dornan’s about. All I know is some two bit toon coonciller says “it would be easy to do” is not the most convincing business case I’ve ever heard.

The Network Rail quote in that story is pretty obvious code for “nae chance”

Heard about what the report says re capacity. I always thought that effectively the airport link was built as far a Paisley, with the additional running line and platforms in Central. I think there are politics involved, latest suggestion tra. M-trains, SNP don't like trams.
Could we get the station under the city deal?

IMO very little politics involved with the Airport link, the issue is just inefficient use of strained capacity in Central.

The next steps will be interesting because the smart Thing to do is build a full tram line that would extend from city centre and pass along Clyde, by the QEUH, breahead, airport and then beyond to new innovation areas. That won’t be able to deliver faster times to airport, but would be a hell of a lot more economically viable

Re: Ibrox station - possible because the projects aren’t fixed, but nah.

*not a railway expert*.

The main line is still there but there would need to be a branch off that to accommodate a station. The outline is largely still there - down behind the Esso garage, back of the Albion car park and towards the away bus park. In the old days it would continue round to the docks(?) and likely back to the city centre from there?

Obviously most of that side is all built upon now so it would be a logistical nightmare to accommodate it these days.

Would be extremely handy, no doubt about that, but can't see it happening sadly.

way off line m8 :D
there was a thread on the old line.
Ibrox station was behind where esso is now.
the line behind the sj stand was docks only.
a line did run down to govan station.
ynFQR9Q.jpg

Last edited:
Change of plan mate.

The Gerrard Express is not stopping at Ibrox it's running straight through to Baku :cool:

We Are On Our Way.

The Jacobs report regarding Glasgow Airport Access Project is illustrative of the constraints currently on these lines. An additional stop would mean longer train times and ultimately result in a GVA reduction, as daft as that sounds. Meaning it wouldn't pass an cost/benefit analysis in order to allow public investment.

Reopening the station would need a strong business case that reflects the softer benefits (inclusive growth) before this could get off the ground.

I think the more realistic option would be for the club/C1872/others to renovate and own the station themselves. Then try to get the network rail buy in to get additional stops on game days/nights. That in itself doesn't sound very realistic though, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

There will soon be a Govan/Partick pedestrian bridge that will allow some to walk straight to Partick station and alleviate some of the subway congestion - I myself am looking forward to that. It could be an opportunity for the club to work with the city to help develop the public realm from the stadium along this route, as there is certainly money going into it.

If you were talking about the piggery the station would have been in place years ago.

This (a parkhead station) has been also been suggested over the years and similarly will not happen.

they had one in Whitby street.
ran up from Bridgeton x under London rd under springfield rd on the way to airdrie iirc.
D8GatLK.jpg

As others have alluded to, the train paths to Inverclyde and Ayrshire along this route are pretty much at capacity. Adding a station at this location which would be very lightly used 99% of the time is a non-starter, unfortunately.

As others have alluded to, the train paths to Inverclyde and Ayrshire along this route are pretty much at capacity. Adding a station at this location which would be very lightly used 99% of the time is a non-starter, unfortunately.

It would probably be busy at certain times of the day if there was a station built becuae for those living in the area it would be an additional means of transport

Would think if the plans go ahead this would be on the Stranraer to Glasgow Central line, a lot of Rangers fans live on the west coast so makes sense for Scotrail if they want to try and earn more money. Also helps Rangers fans living in or around the City Centre which would take them straight to Ibrox instead of being crushed on the subway everyweek as it is evident it cannot cope with large amounts of people.

They've been doing some clearance work in the valley next to the Albion where the tracks are that lead down the side of the wee Rangers club over the last few weeks.

Don't know if related but it is happening.

Appreciate your point that it might not work timetable-wise, but I don't think the station would be used any less than some of the others. There's as much housing around there as this is at Cardonald or the Hillington stations.

The station would be 2 minutes from Paisley Road West, there must be loads of people living there who would use it.

They've been doing some clearance work in the valley next to the Albion where the tracks are that lead down the side of the wee Rangers club over the last few weeks.

Don't know if related but it is happening.

I assumed it was to clear the refugees out :p There must have been about 10 of them living under the bridge at The Wee Rangers Club the other week there.

Was wondering what work being done behind the garage next to rail line was in Saturday. Searched on Google and nothing conclusive came up. This thread was there though. Wondering if anyone knows any more.

Was wondering what work being done behind the garage next to rail line was in Saturday. Searched on Google and nothing conclusive came up. This thread was there though. Wondering if anyone knows any more.
It was something to do with the subway if I remember correctly

Believe it's a commissioning track for the new Subway trains.

Would be fantastic for ease of congestion of cars and on the subway.

The line could also be extended for a much needed rail link to Glasgow airport.

The infrastructure is already there and would take a few months to upgrade/ clean up. Not alot of investment and if say only 10% of supporters use is that's 5,000 extra scotrail customers and at aprox £2 a return that's a hell of a return.

It actually makes so much sense to get it running.

Which is why I fully expect it to never get off its feet.
£2 return!! No chance of that. :D

I spoke to one of the guys working there yesterday... he said it’s a train washing / cleaning facility that’s being built.

Not sure if he was ripping it or not

I thought the underground was going driverless and this was a spur to ensure the safety side of it. Make sure it stops at right position etc.

Back