Anyone buying a Samsung. Hold off.

tintin69

Was out looking for a new phone last week. Fancy a sim only Samsung 7.
Young salesman lad in shop basically whispered to me to hold of until after 15th September as when the new Samsung S8 note hits the shops all the other Samsungs will drop by a minimum of £60. Fair play to the young lad. His boss was quickly up beside us wondering what the lad had been saying to me.

New Binatone coming out the day after, a quarter of the price and twice the power!
ssshhh! i didnt just say that!

Young salesman lad in shop basically whispered to me to hold of until after 15th September as when the new Samsung S8 note hits the shops all the other Samsungs will drop by a minimum of £60. Fair play to the young lad. His boss was quickly up beside us wondering what the lad had been saying to me.
His boss will have told him he doesn't need to be whispering about it - it's currently being advertised on the TV.

Or maybe that it comes with a free fire extinguisher !!

Especially when the new iPhone is coming out. Your chance to swap to the better phone ;)

I am with Samsung and EE contract is up in March. I'll not be going back to either after this. Hardly ever get a signal. Even in London the signal was poor. Both blame each other. It's the network or the handset must be faulty. Been on going for 6 months so I'll just not be going back to both.

If you get the S8 be careful with it as the back of it is glass which makes it slippery. had mine a few days when it slipped out my hand and the glass panel on the back shattered instantly.

Fair play to the young guy, also, thanks for the heads up mate.

If you get the S8 be careful with it as the back of it is glass which makes it slippery. had mine a few days when it slipped out my hand and the glass panel on the back shattered instantly.
Don't understand why Samsung haven't sorted this out as the S6 was the same.

There's also an IPhone due around then aswell usually get a deal or two on the Samsungs. Apple have called a press event for September 12th.

Get a slim case for it. I have a gel type clear case for the s8+ which makes you feel a lot more secure

PS I don't know if Samsung can do much about glass being smooth and slippery

Really want the Note 8, but it's just so expensive. Probably gonna upgrade my sim only deal as Vodafone has some good sim only data deals just now. Unlimited mins, texts and 20GB for £20 p/m, 25GB for £25p/m and 40GB for £30 p/m and they're only 12 month contracts of course. The 40GB deal also comes with 12 months sky sports mobile, or Spotify or NOW TV.

Then I'll probably just buy a refurbished S7 or S7 edge, or a new one if the price is OK. Brand new phones just coming out are crazy money now, whether on a 2 year deal or sim free.

Do you also hate kittehs? :(

no, just Apple with their locked down system that they slow down with every update so you are forced to upgrade.

Don't even get me started on their "Geniuses"

iTunes also must have been coded by monkeys, terrible piece of software

I have a Samsung S7 on contract but make about 4 calls a week and just occasionally listen to music. Am a slave to my old PC most of the time. I also smashed it to pieces trying to shuffle out to the beer garden of The Golden Last in Benidorm holding 4 pints and had to order a new one which was then stolen by a black prostitute so paid excess while all along a basic handset would have sufficed.

Without turning this into an Apple thread many seem to be suggesting that both the 7s and the 8 will be launched at this event as it's the 10th anniversary. I just can't see apple in all their marketing genius dropping two premium (SE for example was a cheaper version of existing phone) phones at the same time

As is the S7. The casing is far, far too fragile for a device most people are using for at least a year. The phones are great, but this is enough to put me off of Samsungs until they change the design.

As is the S7. The casing is far, far too fragile for a device most people are using for at least a year. The phones are great, but this is enough to put me off of Samsungs until they change the design.

Get a decent case. These days they are almost invisible.

Everyone I see without a case on their phone usually have a great big crack on the screen. For a near £800 piece of hardware you are trapped with for 2 years, not having a case is lunacy

Do the smart thing and get an HTC. Great phones and i've dropped mine dozens of times and it's barely got a scrape on it.

Everyone I see without a case on their phone usually have a great big crack on the screen. For a near £800 piece of hardware you are trapped with for 2 years, not having a case is lunacy

I concur, but also it's been worth taking out the insurance for such a flimsy piece of kit. I've twice paid the £50 excess for a brand new phone in 2 years.

I concur, but also it's been worth taking out the insurance for such a flimsy piece of kit. I've twice paid the £50 excess for a brand new phone in 2 years.

Definitely! I get it free with the bank account so don't need to. Case and insurance for a £800 asset is a must.

Can't go wrong with a tempered glass screen protector. I have this one for the s8+
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0734Q1Z1D

Great protector and comes with a template to apply it. Just need them to do one for the back of the case as well

no, just Apple with their locked down system that they slow down with every update so you are forced to upgrade.

Don't even get me started on their "Geniuses"

iTunes also must have been coded by monkeys, terrible piece of software

Thanks for that Bill Gates.

My iPhone hasn't noticeably slowed down in the few years I have had it and will be getting a new one.

iTunes is shite though I agree with you there.

I have a Samsung S7 on contract but make about 4 calls a week and just occasionally listen to music. Am a slave to my old PC most of the time. I also smashed it to pieces trying to shuffle out to the beer garden of The Golden Last in Benidorm holding 4 pints and had to order a new one which was then stolen by a black prostitute so paid excess while all along a basic handset would have sufficed.
Don't let this experience put you off black prostitutes.You will regret it in the long run

The same reason as iPhones. People have to play a lot to repair them and there is a whole industry on it now.

If people are daft enough to pay that much for a phone in the first place, they are daft enough to pay stupid amounts for a repair as well.

Thanks for that Bill Gates.

My iPhone hasn't noticeably slowed down in the few years I have had it and will be getting a new one.

iTunes is shite though I agree with you there.

+1 for itunes, my mum has an ipod I have to go fill with music for her every so often. Frustrating beyond belief.

Maybe you're right. I'd never broken a phone in my life until the s7, and now I've broken mine twice in 4 months of owning the s7. Thankfully it's been the back both times which can be much cheaper to replace but it really doesn't take much to crack them.

The second time it just cracked in my pocket one day, obviously due to a little stress rather than any sort of impact, but nothing remotely excessive. Not sure how effective a case would be when it's that fragile to begin with. I just feel it's designed to look amazing, but not last the trails of 2 years worth of use.

My old s5 survived many, many incidents over close to 3 years use, and managed to survive.

Maybe you're right. I'd never broken a phone in my life until the s7, and now I've broken mine twice in 4 months of owning the s7. Thankfully it's been the back both times which can be much cheaper to replace but it really doesn't take much to crack them.

The second time it just cracked in my pocket one day, obviously due to a little stress rather than any sort of impact, but nothing remotely excessive. Not sure how effective a case would be when it's that fragile to begin with. I just feel it's designed to look amazing, but not last the trails of 2 years worth of use.

My old s5 survived many, many incidents over close to 3 years use, and managed to survive.

I don't know about the random crack, but had the s6 for over 2 years and it didnt crack and the s8+ has been fine so far.

It's the nights out that do it, good solid case for when you are out on the piss. Tempered glass screen protector will help a lot, I believe you can also get them for the back

+1 for itunes, my mum has an ipod I have to go fill with music for her every so often. Frustrating beyond belief.
iTunes is crap unless you are prepared to buy Apple Music or use Spotify. Granted not everyone wants to pay a monthly subscription for music though.

Back