Anyone else having the “this time last week” thoughts?

Games still stuck in my head, probably up there just now with the lowest I've ever felt

Away on holiday next week so hopefully be perked back up by then

Only just starting now to feel like I'm not on some massive comedown from it.

This time last week I was rough as %^*& standing in Burger King after absolutely kicking the arse out of it from arrival in Seville the day before.

The Tuesday was the more enjoyable day for me, I just felt nervous immediately from waking up on the Wednesday, constantly watching the clock and thinking about the game.

I keep thinking about what if scenarios.

Borna caught that shot sweet near the end. Imagine it nicks a defender on the way through and wrong foots the keeper. Or Tavs free kick, could we have had a left footer step over it first and slow Trapp down from going to his left. Or Kamara in the box when his shot was blocked, just looked like he took one slightly bad touch and the space all closed on him. What if Roofe plays the ball a fraction earlier meaning it was in play and Kent has to properly stretch to get on the end of it increasing the chance of a scuff finish. What if we have Roofe 10-15 minutes instead of 4.

So many what ifs in that second period of ET where we largely dominated an open game.

The penalties were what they were. For me the chance was there in the last 15 to win it outright.

Or if Kamada doesnt dink McGregor, but places it to a corner. Or if the blatant penalty is given against Goldson etc.

Putting everything else to the side, it really doesn't feel like a week ago that we were sitting having a few beers in the sun, getting ready for the game.

Or if Kamada doesnt dink McGregor, but places it to a corner. Or if the blatant penalty is given against Goldson etc.

Well part of me does wonder if we were behind and chasing the game would Roofe have got more minutes and potentially swung momentum our way as a result. He got 4 minutes so clearly wasn’t fit but in those 4 minutes he done a lot to suggest he could have really helped us.

Well part of me does wonder if we were behind and chasing the game would Roofe have got more minutes and potentially swung momentum our way as a result. He got 4 minutes so clearly wasn’t fit but in those 4 minutes he done a lot to suggest he could have really helped us.

Eintracht have bigger what ifs on the night. They were peppering us with chances mostly throughout.

It is an upgrade on "If Ferguson got a touch to Darcheville's cross"

Yes OP…I’m the same & have been saying “this time last week” all week to myself.

The feeling when they scored the winning peno will be very hard to get over…if we EVER do..I don’t think I can. We were so close. I’m very proud to support our Club.

What a trip & this exact time last week we had just meet up with my brother who flew in from London & were having beers with Frankfurt fans in a lovely wee Spanish pub in City Centre.

The excitement was really building.

Don’t worry Bears we will come again & we will do it 3rd time lucky.

Manchester 2008
Sevilla 202
???

Last edited:
If we are ever going to get over it we need to stop talking about it.

Can we maybe just stop the threads on it.
Why forget what was a brilliant experience? The fans and team did us proud and we were only a baw hair away from winning it. This doesn't stop me from being absolutely gutted btw.

glad i’m not the only one … absolutely brutal.

relating to every hour today with “this time last week” - can’t get over it, won’t leave me ever i don’t think.

Eintracht have bigger what ifs on the night. They were peppering us with chances mostly throughout.

They had nothing like the chances we had at the end. They didn't pepper the goal they peppered the fans behind!

I am,

Wish i was still there tbh and also wish we could do last wednesdays game over again

Still a sore one

Granted, I haven't watched it back, but I'm not sure that's all that accurate. They were the better side over the 90, but they hardly dominated. They shaded it, if anything.

We had more shots on target. They had more shots in total. I think a lot of people need to watch the game back to properly assess it. As fans we are all very guilty of taking up an opponents chance and talking down our own. For example they had a shot that skimmed over the top we all probably thought was close. Arfield had similar but if you are like me because it was Arfield shooting outside the box I never felt it was going in despite going over a similar amount.

We were the ones wanting the final whistle at the end of 90. They were the ones wanting the final whistle at the end of 120. A very even contest all things considered.

I

We had more shots on target. They had more shots in total. I think a lot of people need to watch the game back to properly assess it. As fans we are all very guilty of taking up an opponents chance and talking down our own. For example they had a shot that skimmed over the top we all probably thought was close. Arfield had similar but if you are like me because it was Arfield shooting outside the box I never felt it was going in despite going over a similar amount.

We were the ones wanting the final whistle at the end of 90. They were the ones wanting the final whistle at the end of 120. A very even contest all things considered.

I

The way Eintracht were ripping into our midfield in the first half, I'd be disappointed if we didn't make chances like that. They looked way more dangerous until we sorted ourselves out until circa 35 mins.

Second half (not entirely compis mentis at this point), we came back into it, but again, Borre should have scored a couple.

Extra time we were the best team by miles and that was the moment to win it.

They had nothing like the chances we had at the end. They didn't pepper the goal they peppered the fans behind!
We had one chance that almost certainly wouldn't even have counted.

They skimmed the post and missed a great chance in a 1 on 1 with McGregor.

I
A shot on target isn't necessarily a chance though.

The way Eintracht were ripping into our midfield in the first half, I'd be disappointed if we didn't make chances like that. They looked way more dangerous until we sorted ourselves out until circa 35 mins.

Second half (not entirely compis mentis at this point), we came back into it, but again, Borre should have scored a couple.

Extra time we were the best team by miles and that was the moment to win it.

I’m struggling to think he should have scored a couple in second half.

Also first half you watch it back it’s not 35 but after the first water break the momentum swings back to a more even game. It’s why I’m certain if we go to 70 or so at 0-1 and have the water break to regroup I think we win. Sadly we couldn’t hold out those 2 minutes more.

A shot on target isn't necessarily a chance though.

That’s very true. I think the broad idea we talk up opponents chances and talk our own down is true though.

At the game a couple of times I thought they missed massive chances. Watching it back it wasn’t as good a chance as I made it in my head and/or we defended better than I though in live time.

I’m struggling to think he should have scored a couple in second half.

Also first half you watch it back it’s not 35 but after the first water break the momentum swings back to a more even game. It’s why I’m certain if we go to 70 or so at 0-1 and have the water break to regroup I think we win. Sadly we couldn’t hold out those 2 minutes more.

I said before that the German's caught us off guard. We knew it was going to be sweltering in the "pressure cooker" but I don't think we accounted for them being so bang into it. First 30 mins they fed off the fans, and their fans fed off the crowd.

Being honest, I thought those 30 mins were a disaster. No proper shape from Rangers, nothing.

Borre was making runs off our defenders all night. Maybe not clear cut chances, but we just never got to grips with him.

Still gutted.

Make no mistake, that was an unbelievable chance to lift a European trophy.

It hurts because I feel like we done the hard part by getting there and beating the teams we beat.

I believe we're a better team than Frankfurt, we just didn't play anywhere near our best on the night and that stings.

Once the summer recruitment starts I'm sure I'll perk up and its onto next season.

Arrived home Monday afternoon and back at work yesterday. My head’s going to be in the clouds all week. Jet lag ain’t helping either.

All of the 'if only' stuff was going through my head this morning. The thought also struck me that there may well be a parallel universe where either Goldson boots that ball out for a corner or where Kent scores with that late chance. Unfortunately however, not in this reality.

That’s very true. I think the broad idea we talk up opponents chances and talk our own down is true though.

At the game a couple of times I thought they missed massive chances. Watching it back it wasn’t as good a chance as I made it in my head and/or we defended better than I though in live time.
Some people delight in doing us down. Regarding the Roofe cross there is a still showing that the ball han't fully crossed the line. If it was the goal line we wouldn't have got a goal!!!

Some people delight in doing us down. Regarding the Roofe cross there is a still showing that the ball han't fully crossed the line. If it was the goal line we wouldn't have got a goal!!!
That looks over the line to me, bearing in mind that the goal line is at a bit of an angle.

It would've been absolutely heartbreaking to score at the end then have it ruled out.

Screenshot-20220525-173005-com-bt-btsport-edit-421428925663819.jpg

All day I've been thinking why have they scheduled the finals this way. Surely it should have been Europa Conference > Europa league > Champions League.

That would have given Roofe another week to regain fitness.......clutching at straws I know!

My week has been grim. Can't bring myself to watch any of the game yet. I looked forward to it so much and it was such a focus for weeks. Then being back at work on Monday was brutal. Back to reality with a massive bump.

I've no complaints about frankfurt winning the cup, wasn't a lot in it, but for me they were the better team.

In an ideal world, aribo would have scored in the 93rd minute and they could have got a lynch mob together for the frankfurt defender.

We can be extremely proud of reaching the final. Look at the countries represented in all 3 tournaments. No regrets, in fact I'm just happy kent didnt score and var ruled the goal out. That would have been beyond cruel.

I'm okay for a while then I remember it.....downer again! Europa league music on there before tonight's game:rolleyes:

Watched the Leipzig highlights earlier. Couldn’t bring myself to watch the final

Ryan Jack had a shot near the end of the first half last week, the one that Kent dummied. And fast forward he has a similar chance- albeit a straighter effort - on Saturday and hey presto it’s past Gordon in a flash.
A game of fine margins.
It still hurts and winning the SC last Saturday only cooled down the burn..

Back