Anyone else having the “this time last week” thoughts?

Yeah, been putting pics in our WhatsApp group since Monday from us setting of last Monday. Still wake up through the night thinking of what could have been. And like yourself OP I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat just for that win

Yes travelling this morning for work. Up at 4. Last week was up even earlier and it was a great trip all bar the final result.

The end of season blues hit hard on Monday morning.. been thinking about all the excitement and peoples pictures & stories of their journeys over to Seville that filled Monday to Weds afternoon.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, and to be honest I've hardly even thought about it. My head was full of Seville just over a week ago, and it still is today.

To be so close to winning it after such a brilliant few days is a hard one. Now I've got to pretend to listen to the wife for nearly three weeks (not that that's changed, but if we won it I'd have been daydreaming about good things, not replaying the penalties) :eek:

Not massively, sort of switched off now after Saturday and to be honest not being in Seville I found the day last Wednesday around the game to be absolutely hellish.

I’ve never had that level of stress and anxiety in the build up to a game and it wasn’t pleasant.

I forgot to turn off the alarm on my phone so had a 4.30 am wake up call. That was to wake me up in Amsterdam airport to get the flight to Madrid

Still consuming most of my thoughts. Not sure if or when it will pass.

CL qualification and a promising start in the league might help, but the heartache of last Wednesday is unfortunately going to be quite prevalent through the summer.

Our charter was just taking off from Glasgow this time last week. Now just starting to feel better after having covid no doubt from drinking from the toilet sinks with dozens of others.

Not really to be honest. And I'm normally quite bad for torturing myself with thoughts like that after coming back from a holiday or whatever.

We never won and as hard as it was it's done and there is no changing it.

Just travelled up the road from Sunderland like a nodding dog after a nightshift. Was a different tired from last week, had the buzz to keep me going. Was saying to my mate i was doing this or that this time last week. As much as I had an amazing time I’ve not quite gotten over the result. Get quite emotional thinking about the whole thing.

Yes, absolutely. Been thinking about it every day since. We came so so close. I'm still sore, but not half as sore as I felt last Thursday. I'm starting to look forward to next season now, which is a good sign.

Not massively, sort of switched off now after Saturday and to be honest not being in Seville I found the day last Wednesday around the game to be absolutely hellish.

I’ve never had that level of stress and anxiety in the build up to a game and it wasn’t pleasant.
Exactly the same. A terrible day all round. Thought i was going to be physically sick in the morning , stressing out about it.
Didnt enjoy watching the game, then the final whistle, utter dejection.

I keep thinking about what if scenarios.

Borna caught that shot sweet near the end. Imagine it nicks a defender on the way through and wrong foots the keeper. Or Tavs free kick, could we have had a left footer step over it first and slow Trapp down from going to his left. Or Kamara in the box when his shot was blocked, just looked like he took one slightly bad touch and the space all closed on him. What if Roofe plays the ball a fraction earlier meaning it was in play and Kent has to properly stretch to get on the end of it increasing the chance of a scuff finish. What if we have Roofe 10-15 minutes instead of 4.

So many what ifs in that second period of ET where we largely dominated an open game.

The penalties were what they were. For me the chance was there in the last 15 to win it outright.

Was in Seville Airport just about to get the bus into town.

Watched most of the game again yesterday and still was expecting the net to bulge from Davis’s shot. How fn lucky we’re Frankfurt! A toe deflects the ball high and hits a German who knew nothing about it and we don’t get the corner. Not all the ball was over the line.
The other thing was the number of yellows they got away with and their antics when tackled - cheating bar stewards!

Yes massively.

I'm struggling to get any of it out my head. It's about as close as you can get and we deserved the win.

This time last week my flight was announced as delayed 4hrs and the day didn’t get much better all in

Far too early to deal with it; but yes, it has crossed my mind a couple of times this morning.

I went for a few pints last night with my mate and all he done was talk about the game, never mentioned Saturday at all, It just felt like we were going over every single detail again for the millionth time.

It’s thoroughly depressing, the biggest what if in our history.

Been thinking the same all week. Even this morning thinking how we were all just getting up & on first beer ready for transfer into Seville. Sure will be the case especially today. Still cant stop thinking What if....

Woke up this morning from a dream we were playing the bheasts in the Europa final and beat them on pens :))

Still absolutely gutted about what could have been. Rollercoaster of emotions. Keep thinking about Goldson and if he had just cleared the ball, the Ramsey pen.

Anyway it's done, we move on and you never know what's in store moving forward. A lot to be excited about with Gio and where he's taking our club.

It stings a lot and I'm quite bitter about how the game turned out. That overwhelming sinking feeling when they scored the winning penalty is not a nice place to be mentally.

This was a million times worse than 2008. We were boring and played a lot of anti football on that run and I didn't actually think we'd win it. Seville though, I was convinced because we're a brilliant attacking team playing a beatable opponent.

Time and success will heal things as last week becomes more of a distant memory. The Scottish Cup win definitely helped but winning 56 and qualifying for the CL and doing well there and I'll start feeling much better.

My worst moment by far was the Thursday morning. I’d barely slept after the game and lay awake replaying everything every penalty every moment in the match until around 4am. It was hellish.

Got up at 7.30am to take the kids to school , got them organised and away, in a trance almost , came back to an empty house and felt that horrible empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. Lowest I’ve felt as a football fan but also a sense of pride crept in.

I have to say after that moment I started to feel better hour by hour and Saturdays win massively boosted me. I thought I had made my peace until this morning when the what if’s thoughts came back again. Not as bad though. It’s a natural process you go through.

It’s amazing to think we will look back with pride and fondness at this European adventure. But we will, some of us will come round quicker than others.

To those running away from it I suggest have that moment to yourself and get it out of your system.

Also take not of how precious our win was in 1972. The feeling we have of not winning on Wednesday last week would be multiplied tenfold had we as a club never won that European trophy. It would be like a millstone round our necks. Good bless Colin Stein and wee bud.

Last edited:
Can’t stop thinking about the whole experience from last week and wishing could have it again now - with a different outcome of course! Wish so badly we won it, take a while to get over this one
I'm the same mate, the minute I woke up this morning I was thinking what I was doing this time last Wednesday

Yup. This time last week was having breakfast in a coffee shop at the Cathedral in Seville then scootering around till lunchtime. Brilliant day. The excitement walking in with my family to the stadium. Bit of anxiety about being amongst the Germans but it was OK. Seeing the team come out...wow.
Would do it all again even knowing the result. What a journey for me, for us, for the team.

Replaying it all in my mind... The drive from Portugal with the tunes on, finding the car park at Santa Justa, drinks, lunch, bumping into Boydie. Silly we things like sharing my ice cream with a labrador.... nearly getting run over by a scooter. It was a brilliant day, except for that save !

This time last week myself and Junior were sitting at a cafe in Seville eating breakfast and discussing the days events to follow,fan zone visit and what time to head back to the digs to meet our mate from London. And of course what time to leave for the pub before the game. High excitement all around and a brilliant atmosphere between two sets of fans all hoping for a victory for their teams. I've thought about it every day since and will do for a while. Proud of the achievement but gonna be a sore one for quite some time i'm afraid. Thank God we won on Saturday because that team (and all of us) deserved to end this season on a high.

I feel this season will be so hard to top, in terms of the experience we all had.

Hopefully winning the league will be quash that notion, some new exciting signings etc, if we qualify for the CL the Euro nights at Ibrox should be pretty special.

Replaying it all in my mind... The drive from Portugal with the tunes on, finding the car park at Santa Justa, drinks, lunch, bumping into Boydie. Silly we things like sharing my ice cream with a labrador.... nearly getting run over by a scooter. It was a brilliant day, except for that save !
You shouldn’t give dogs or cats for that matter Ice cream. Isn’t good for them at all and in some cases sparks a bad reaction

Back