Roofe - £4m - £6m
Itten - £2.5m - £2.5m
Hagi - £3m - £3m
Kent - £7m - £15m
Lafferty - £600k - did we get a fee?
Grezda - £2m - did we get a fee?
Murphy - £1m - 0
Hastie - £350k - £350k

Putting in rough value against them. I know there are arguments either way but on pure transfer fees alone, he could probably turn a £40m+ profit if we sold them all now.

he’s don’t a cracking job with the money given.

Lafferty - £600k - did we get a fee?
Grezda - £2m - did we get a fee?
Murphy - £1m - 0
Hastie - £350k - £350k

Putting in rough value against them. I know there are arguments either way but on pure transfer fees alone, he could probably turn a £40m+ profit if we sold them all now.

he’s don’t a cracking job with the money given.
Lafferty was released I think.
Grezda we got 300/400k and a sell on clause. I believe they also wrote off some of the remaining fee we owed to get him back.

Not forgetting what has been made from Europa which must be topping £30 Million?
Tbh I'm a bit surprised we've made that much in transfer fees, given the squad Gerrard inherited. He's completely rebuilt us with that 33 million spent and as you say brought us in millions in Europa League money.

I suppose it all depends if you factor in loan fees and if we were picking up all or some of the wages for;

Ejaria
Sadiq
Coulibaly
Worrall
Ojo
King
Kamberi
Zungu

Defoe
Davis

we also picked these up for free

Arfield, McGregor, Flanagan, McAuley, Polster, Stewart, McLaughlin, Balogun

so imagine they would have commanded significant signing on fees and a good wage.

I reckon our wage bill for players and backroom have probably more than doubled from the year before Gerrard arrived.

for information I reckon celtic have spent approx £45million during the same period.

Goldson - £3m
Katić - £2m
Helander - £3.5m
Edmundson - £600k
Barišić - £2m
Bassey - £300k
Aribo - £300k
Kamara - £50k
Roofe - £4m
Itten - £2.5m
Hagi - £3m
Kent - £7m
Lafferty - £600k
Grezda - £2m
Murphy - £1m
Hastie - £350k

I reckon around £32m. Then minus what @erskine bear has posted.
That is very close but I believe there are so minor corrections to be made to it.
Barisic - £1.5m
Katic - £1.5m
Roofe - £4.5m
Itten - £2.7m

Goldson - £3m
Katić - £2m
Helander - £3.5m
Edmundson - £600k
Barišić - £2m
Bassey - £300k
Aribo - £300k
Kamara - £50k
Roofe - £4m
Itten - £2.5m
Hagi - £3m
Kent - £7m
Lafferty - £600k
Grezda - £2m
Murphy - £1m
Hastie - £350k

I reckon around £32m. Then minus what @erskine bear has posted.

Only 3 or 4 duds on that list.

Thats a good strike rate with signings especially when you are buying in the £0-£3million bracket

With the reported £170 million squad valuation posted on here the other day, you would have to say there is some good dealing going on.

You can easily see the "filler" or punts in the squad (some pointed out at the time, some not) but there are only a handful that haven't at least held their value and some that have rocketed. Still can't get over the peanuts our midfield cost.

According to transfermarkt which is usually quite accurate, his net spend is £27.12m.

Arrivals - £31.75m

Departures - £4.63m

That is very close but I believe there are so minor corrections to be made to it.
Barisic - £1.5m
Katic - £1.5m
Roofe - £4.5m
Itten - £2.7m
I’m pretty sure the money mentioned a few times for Roofe was £3.5m. Was Barisic not £1.8m?

Doesn't tell accurate story

He inherited a shit show.

Nothing of value. To add value you need to spend then improve. The fruits of the labour won't be seen until next season I think in terms of fees coming in.

Also he's qualified for Europa League in every season plus a last 16. Which if you factor that in makes a dent.

In a right good place

Thanks.

The Aribo costs were close to 2m all up, were they not ? That might be the main difference from the list above ?
I don't think that we know the exact figures in a number of cases.

For example, the accounts say we've spent £15.4m since 1st July this year. That's on Roofe, Itten Hagi, Bassey and who else?

The accounts show purchases of players of £36m and sales of £4.7m.
According to transfermarkt which is usually quite accurate, his net spend is £27.12m.

Arrivals - £31.75m

Departures - £4.63m

They don’t seem too far out with the departures but the arrivals is out quite a bit, would the accounts be showing loan fees etc since they were not actually transfers, and did we not stagger some of the fees over a period, like Kent and Hagi I thought I read at the time we hadn’t paid the fees outright.

They don’t seem too far out with the departures but the arrivals is out quite a bit, would the accounts be showing loan fees etc since they were not actually transfers, and did we not stagger some of the fees over a period, like Kent and Hagi I thought I read at the time we hadn’t paid the fees outright.
Due to the wording in the accounts, it's possible that the loan fee for Zungu is included, but I don't think the previous years loans are. I don't think that they would be capitalised.

I've just realised I missed out the £1m we've got on players after these accounts so the figure is actually £5.7m .

Although we may stagger the fees, they would still be included in full. The only types of fees that wouldn't would be conditional fees (eg an extra £500K after playing 100 games).

The other difference could be signing on fees, including renewal of contracts, which would be included in my figures but may not be included in the known transfer fees.

The net spend under the manager will be better viewed in retrospect. He inherited very few assets, Tav, Jack and Alfie really being it and Alfie wasn’t looking like a £20m player. So we’ve had to spend to build the squad.

The measure of our success in the transfer market will come firstly on the pitch by winning trophies and secondly when we realise some of the players the manager has brought in; whether that’s Barasic, Aribo, Kent, Kamara or Roofe. Or, honestly, several others we could end up making a profit on.

I suspect in the final analysis, the net cost of players he has acquired will be more than offset by the income we get when we sell them. It just might not be on his watch.

Purely on paper it won’t look great at all but given his starting point, and then 3 successive years in the Europa League Group stages and now top of the league with a squad worth far more than what he spent I’d say it’s very good value for money.

Once we win the league this year I think it's important that we sell a couple of players while their stock is at its highest.

Barisic and Kamara would be good examples. Barisic is in his late 20s and if he's to have a 'big' move then chances are it'll be after the Euros. Kamara is also progressing well and considering what we paid for him, I do think he's replaceable for us. Worth selling him for the right offer.

I think no matter what, Morelos will be off in the summer.

Back