Anyone met someone abroad who has impressed you with something Rangers?

Was at a Tikki Bar on Clearwater Beach in Florida, told the American bartender my drinks order. On hearing my accent he asked “what team do you support”? Rangers of course was my reply. Next thing he disappears away into the connected hotel and comes back with his phone. Full of photos of him and his family on a tour of Ibrox. Chatted for about 5 mins until I asked if I could get my drinks. Needless to say he got more than 20% tip.
Good man giving him the full whack. He wouldn't feel 20% of the tip

Playing golf at Pebble Beach. The other guys' caddie heard my accent. I was lining up a birdie putt on the par 5 2nd hole, and he wandered over and quietly said, in a Glasgow accent, "Rangers or Celtic?" I gave the right answer, and he responded "Step aside, Sir, and let me line up your putt for you". Mind you, I missed the putt, so who knows .

Playing golf at Spyglass Hill, with two very American lawyers, husband and wife, from Atlanta. They knew about Rangers, and the husband said "I've always wanted to go to an Old Firm game".

I was in a lift in a hotel on the Gran Via, Madrid back in October 2017. I attended Atletico v Villarreal at the Wanda Metropolitano. This guy, Qarabag supporter who were due to play Atletico 3 days later asked where we were from. We replied Scotland. His first words were "Aah Glasgow Rangers?". Took great pride he asked if we were Rangers considering Qarabag had played Celtic in Glasgow two years prior and he was present at the game so I thought he would've been more familiar with them. Just shows you how the world sees Rangers as the premier club in Scotland.

To go along with my other story about my Mexican pal at the nuclear plant in Virginia, another time at the same plant there were 4 Croatian guys working there and when they heard my accent they asked which team I support. As soon as I told them Rangers, they all started calling me Dado - and that then became my name over the next month or so. None of the Americans knew what the fuck they were talking about! :D

Last edited:
The company sent a car to pick me and another guy up at Doha airport
The driver was Egyptian, his first words were “Rangers or Celtic”, I said Rangers, the other guy said Celtic…..the driver looked round at me stuck his thumb up and said Rangers, he looked at the other guy and said Celtic shite, I said to him it just goes to show, you are known the whole world over for being a pile of shite whilst pissing myself laughing

Was talking to my eldest son about how we seem to be everywhere around the world and reminded me about when I was in Canada a few years ago in a pub and Argentinian bouncer asked where I was over from, told him Scotland and he says Glasgow Rangers, I said do you like them as they’re my love, he pulls his phone out and low and behold, there was his aunt and uncle, in Argentina, getting married in their Rangers strips, to say I was stunned is an understatement but ultra chuffed!
Was talking to my eldest son about how we seem to be everywhere around the world and reminded me about when I was in Canada a few years ago in a pub and Argentinian bouncer asked where I was over from, told him Scotland and he says Glasgow Rangers, I said do you like them as they’re my love, he pulls his phone out and low and behold, there was his aunt and uncle, in Argentina, getting married in their Rangers strips, to say I was stunned is an understatement but ultra chuffed!
Worked with a bluenose born and bred in Royston(Garngad) and still living there .
That impressed me.

In the Luxor Hotel Las Vegas in January 2003 and had to speak to a manger about something. Recognised the accent and started talking about Rangers. Knew everything about the league and particularly Rangers. Said he thought we were going to win the league (which we did) and he would be watching all the games. Very surprised at his knowledge and his love for the Gers and considered him a bit of a lucky charm

Cheers for heads up but have you watched baseball? Most boring sport ever.
It's the reason I was in Cleveland! Went on a 2 month holiday back in 2007 just to see baseball.

I'd watch any two teams play baseball before I'd watch the majority of Champions League football.

It's the reason I was in Cleveland! Went on a 2 month holiday back in 2007 just to see baseball.

I'd watch any two teams play baseball before I'd watch the majority of Champions League football.
I’ve watched baseball live once and hated it, though to be fair, I have been told the atmosphere in the actual stands, and things to do, can be great family day out at the big clubs. I just can’t stand watching it. My kids live in Pennsylvania, not too far from Ohio border so might give it a shot. I’ll say to my kids but they’ll probably look at me as if I’m mad.

Pepe, a wee waiter in Tolos Restaurant in Puerto Pollensa, had Nacho Novo celebrating, after scoring his penalty in Florence, as his screen saver on his mobile.

I wish I'd a pound for every time he's shown me it.

Apparently their only connection was, that they came from the same town, somewhere in NW Spain.

In a wine bar in San Diego when one of the waiters from the restaurant had cause to be behind the bar we were standing at. Hears the accent and asks if we were from Scotland and did we know Richard Gough. Told him it was King Richard to him. Turns out he played beside him in an amateur team. Couple of days later in a steak restaurant in the Luxor in Vegas. Our waiter asks where we're from and proudly exclaims "Ahh Scotland, home of the Famous Glasgow Rangers"!

In a wine bar in San Diego when one of the waiters from the restaurant had cause to be behind the bar we were standing at. Hears the accent and asks if we were from Scotland and did we know Richard Gough. Told him it was King Richard to him. Turns out he played beside him in an amateur team. Couple of days later in a steak restaurant in the Luxor in Vegas. Our waiter asks where we're from and proudly exclaims "Ahh Scotland, home of the Famous Glasgow Rangers"!
We are famous everywhere. It is brilliant!

Same as post #60, there’s a Croatian link to this.

We were staying in a hotel at Limone in Lake Garda 4 years ago and the same waiter was assigned to our table every day. After the 2nd night we got into chatting a bit more and he said he was Croatian, I had actually assumed he was Italian too. Anyways, he asks me if I like football and I say yeah, Rangers.

Quick as a flash “Ah, Dado Prso!…” and we did my wife’s head in talking football for the rest of the week. :))

Dado is a hero to them and he was really into Rangers as a result. He knew his stuff about us. I’m sure he was proud when we signed Katic and Borna too.

Holidaying in Mauritius December 2014, our allocated local beach waiter on hearing my accent proclaimed his love for Rangers, I was doubtful but the very next day he made a beeline for me and shouted "He has to go now"
Alloa had beat us 3-2 the night before in that calamitous cup game.

To go along with my other story about my Mexican pal at the nuclear plant in Virginia, another time at the same plant there were 4 Croatian guys working there and when they heard my accent they asked which team I support. As soon as I told them Rangers, they all started calling me Dado - and that then became my name over the next month or so. None of the Americans knew what the fuck they were talking about! :D
I would be delighted with that nickname, and insist everyone called me that from then on in.

I worked at holiday lets in Italy, nearest city Perugia, for a well to do German family. Of course they all became Rangers fans. One of the sons was doing a law degree and was working on the campaign for a German politician called David Mcallister. They said he had this picture on the wall of his office and he showed me a copy of the picture. I said to him that most people in the UK would recognise Super but not the other fella. Just looked up David Mcallister and Wiki gives his teams as Rangers and Hannover.
GFaXIHj.png

My family took me to New Year in New York in 2012 for my 60th birthday. On New Year’s Day 2013 we went to Central Park to see the John Lennon memorial. Nearby there was a guy selling Beatles and Lennon souvenirs, but he also had some Liverpool FC stuff. We got talking and it emerged that he was a New Yorker of Russian extraction who supported Liverpool. We spoke for a bit about Rangers and the Souness connection and he was very knowledgeable about our club. For example when he heard that we were from Dundee he said “how’s Mo Ross getting on”!

Must have been about 20 years ago: Was in a wee place in the South of Thassos for Summer holiday - two young guys running the apartment complex (fairly small, around 15-20 appts). Anyway they are serving at the wee bar (one of those wooden shack things) and asked if I like football - when I say Rangers one pulls two ticket stubs down from the wall: PAOK v Rangers. Two massive PAOK fans. Travel to home games for them must be like our N.I. guys going to Ibrox.

I knew a wee bit about Greek football - the usual guff of clubs, where the came from and local rivalries so they did appreciate some foreigner taking interest. Surprisingly they were OK with Aris but absolutely hated the Athenian/ Pireus clubs, AEK(1) in particular. The holiday rep warned us not to even mention the Turks as the guys would go mental.
(1) Probably because they were founded by exiles from Istanbul?

I have digressed somewhat - my story is the ticket stubs.

Must have been about 20 years ago: Was in a wee place in the South of Thassos for Summer holiday - two young guys running the apartment complex (fairly small, around 15-20 appts). Anyway they are serving at the wee bar (one of those wooden shack things) and asked if I like football - when I say Rangers one pulls two ticket stubs down from the wall: PAOK v Rangers. Two massive PAOK fans. Travel to home games for them must be like our N.I. guys going to Ibrox.

I knew a wee bit about Greek football - the usual guff of clubs, where the came from and local rivalries so they did appreciate some foreigner taking interest. Surprisingly they were OK with Aris but absolutely hated the Athenian/ Pireus clubs, AEK(1) in particular. The holiday rep warned us not to even mention the Turks as the guys would go mental.

Your digression was more interesting to be honest mate!

giphy.gif

I met Avi Cohen in Tel Aviv in 2007 and he's still a blue nose, does that count ?

Reactions: TQ3
In a New York yellow cab while on holiday a few years back.

My time killing ‘Busy the day pal’ patter had the driver (Russian or Ukrainian I can’t remember which now,) ask firstly Scottish? then Rangers? Knew all about us from the Oleg and Miko days.

Operation Ocean Wave in 1997 was the Royal Navy Op to hand Hong Kong back to China after the 99 year lease.

The entire flotilla, about a dozen or so ships were in port Fremantle in Western Australia. We had an open day to let all the children of ex convicts on board our ships and submarines to let them see what they were missing.

My job was letting punters onto a Seaking helicopter on the ship I was on. These two wee guys, about aged 4 and 7 came up wearing full Rangers kits but I could hear Aussie accents from them.

'I like your strips lads'...nothing. Then their auld man pitches up, in a broad Glasgow accent exclaiming that he had helped built this ship in Greenock in 1979!

Those wee lads got every freebie, present and scrap of RN memorabilia lying around.

If you are reading this after all these years Bruce, you made that duty worth it pal.

Brilliant thread. Was worried at first post it was going to be like the old classic nonsense the other lot come out with any time they sign a foreigner about how that particular player grew up pure loving celtic etc, usually based on some elderly relative watching them 40 years ago. But some cracking stories troops

Drove up to front entrance of the Del hotel near San Diego, hotel guy opens the car door and offers help etc. hears the accent then asks “what team do you support ?”
Gets my response and he says, love them, and goes through the Billy Boys with me.
Great lad

On a slightly different note, I was in Toronto walking and I had my Orange “Make mine a Treble” T-Shirt with Dick and Bert hugging on the pitch at the Cup Final on.

This guy says to me “Nice T-Shirt man” and I try to have a chat with him assuming he’s talking about Rangers. He’s not got one clue what I’m talking about and I’m standing there confused.

I only twigged on it was a tad “Everyone Anyone” a while later that day :oops::))

First morning in Cuba, walking towards the pool with my Rangers top on and start hearing a guy singing the Billy Boys, was some cuban guy who worked at the hotel standing singing with an old Rangers top on. Seemed like a bit of a walloper, so just politely acknowledged him with a wave. 20 minutes later I turn round in the pool and he is in the pool just standing staring and smiling at me, feck that caper so I just swam away, got out of the pool and went for a beer. Thankfully he didn't follow me.

Was on a train from Koln to Krefeld to watch us play a friendly against Bayer Uredigin many years ago and we bumped into these two Germans from a small village way in the south of Germany. They were going to the game also.
They were great friends of some guys my brother knew from the London RSC.
They said they had just taken part in their own two man orange walk in their village a few weeks prior.
A little worse for wear they then decided to get rid of the green curtains on the train windows.. obviously a bit off their heads so we strategically withdrew from their company.
Someone had invested a lot of time with these guys.. hope they are still following us with a little less vigour.

Elba Sara Hotel in Caleta de Fuste ( Fuerteventura ). I go to the bar to get some drinks in. Barman hears my accent. Rangers or Celtic he says. I say the Good People. He says No Surrender. Me and my sweetheart burst out laughing.

I was once on a BA flight from London to Angola when 30 mins in I looked out the window to see WATP spray painted on a cloud down below.

Drove up to front entrance of the Del hotel near San Diego, hotel guy opens the car door and offers help etc. hears the accent then asks “what team do you support ?”
Gets my response and he says, love them, and goes through the Billy Boys with me.
Great lad

I love Coronado. Beautiful place.
My uncle (Scottish) used to run a pub over there in the 90's and 00's. McP's on Orange Avenue.

Irish bar, but it was mainly a Seal Team and Special Forces bar, owned by a former Seal.

I dont think the Americans got the irony of an Irish bar on Orange Ave.

I got pulled by traffic police in UAE for not sticking to my lane, thought I’d got myself in bother when I pointed out that you return to the inside lane after overtaking where I come from. Got sent to the glovebox to get my license and registration. When I returned to the back of the car they had noticed the wee scarf I had in the back quarter light and was greeted with a handshake, polis wanted to talk about Graeme Souness and Alex Ferguson for 5 minutes then sent me on my way all smiles.

Back