Anyone met someone abroad who has impressed you with something Rangers?

I was in a taxi in Amsterdam and the driver who was from Sudan, was a big Gers fan, we were talking about our recent results and players. He also knew a fair bit about other SPL teams. At the end of the taxi ride he didn't want any money.

Sidari, Corfu 2011 v Kilmarnock when we won the league. Went to a bar advertising it, beleve it or not called The Paradise Bar. Walked in and the place is covered in Rangers tops, mostly donated by a bear from Drongan. Anyway, after Laff scores the first, the barman - and again, I kid you not - called Billy, bursts into “ha ha Samaras”. A day I will not forget.

Got in a taxi here (Bratislava) a few months back and hearing my awful Slovak pronunciation the driver asked where I was originally from and that led onto Rangers ofcourse.

Turns out his son played against us for Artmedia Bratislava. Says he liked the Rangers fans and hates Celtic.

Also got speaking to some locals in the bar here when Slovan were on tv - they had good knowledge of us from Weiss - he’s like a cult hero here.

I did mention Sebo who they also liked from his time in Slovan. He scored 32 in 69 for them. All i could mention was Sebo scored v Chelsea for us B-D

We were in Moscow in 2001 for the return leg v Dynamo, when this Russian guy came up to us in the hotel wanting to talk about all things Rangers and telling us he was a big fan etc. To be honest, at first we reckoned he was just looking for a few beers, but we indulged him and it turned out big Igor was indeed a very knowledgeable long distance Rangers fan and couldn't have been more delighted to be in the company of 'fellow bears'. Ended up acting as a tour guide, navigated us around the Moscow underground and got us into a bar next to the ground after the match which was pretending to be closed (bizarre night!). Still in touch with him to this day.

@buckeyeblue picked me up at about half six in the morning to go and watch a game in the basement of a bar in Cleveland.

Not sure if it's what the OP is after but I was impressed!
Would that be The North Coast Rangers Supporters Club. Run by Bob Martin and Alex Fotheringham. Upstairs is The American Legion, which was occupied mainly by Vietnam war veterans all drinking at 7.30 am Mostly with long hair and big beards. I distinctly remember the No Hand Guns sign on the front door.

Brilliant thread. Was worried at first post it was going to be like the old classic nonsense the other lot come out with any time they sign a foreigner about how that particular player grew up pure loving celtic etc, usually based on some elderly relative watching them 40 years ago. But some cracking stories troops
I was hoping this thread would be brilliant for folk. I’m amazed at how brilliant it has become! Fantastic stories and few good chuckles.

Was looking for somewhere to eat in Athens and get approached by a waiter outside a restaurant. Food looked good so I gave him the thumbs up and when he sat me down he asked if I was English I said no, Scottish.

"Ah, a Ranger or a Celtic?"

"Rangers," I said.

"I see Ranger many year ago. AEK my team. We beat you. But we can be friends, no?"

I laughed and shook his hand.

Nice guy, quality scran as well.

Walked past this guy in Lanzarote 12 years ago. I'm wearing my Rangers top. I gave him the thumbs up and say "C'mon the Rangers". He stops and shouts in his Moroccan accent. "Rangers are the greatest club in the world and the most successful". Gave each other the high fives. lol
A good number of years ago, I was out for a walk in Tenerife. A looky looky man spotted my Rangers top, pointed at me, and said “ah, England” I said “no, Scotland” he then replied “ah, celtc” I replied “no, Rangers” he then said “ah, fùkeda Pop”

B-DB-D

Would that be The North Coast Rangers Supporters Club. Run by Bob Martin and Alex Fotheringham. Upstairs is The American Legion, which was occupied mainly by Vietnam war veterans all drinking at 7.30 am Mostly with long hair and big beards. I distinctly remember the No Hand Guns sign on the front door.
The very place.

I love Coronado. Beautiful place.
My uncle (Scottish) used to run a pub over there in the 90's and 00's. McP's on Orange Avenue.

Irish bar, but it was mainly a Seal Team and Special Forces bar, owned by a former Seal.

I dont think the Americans got the irony of an Irish bar on Orange Ave.
The Del at Coronado is some place, just a pity Marilyn Monroe still wasn’t on the beach like she was in Some Like it Hot..
As you say, Coronado island is great area. Pacific Fleet parked up nearby too.

I lived in Canada in 2014. The missus (no pics) and I booked a weekend break in Coburg. We get to this wee guest house place and the woman who owned it was out, but her old boy let us in and he was Scottish. Very nice guy. The missus was Canadian and done most of the talking but then he clocked my accent and we had a wee chat about Scotland. Then he asked the big question…

“So, dae ye follow the football?”

I replied saying I did and I was a Rangers man…his reply

“Aw thank Christ for that!!”

He suggested we have lunch at a place nearby called the King George Inn but we should go down to the basement. We went along and did just that - the basement was an old jail that had been converted into a Rangers supporters club, complete with various strips hung on the walls, scarves, framed tickets etc.

When we got back to the guest house, he kindly gave me a Coburg RSC baseball cap.

Was a fantastic weekend and the guest house place was fantastic. Really wish I could remember the name of it now as I would highly recommend it.

Was in the Sportsmans Bar in Singapore years ago (few on here will def be familiar with it - Wullie McAdam loyal!)

Davie Coopers best mate was sat at the bar and he was wearing one of his League Cup winners medals on a necklace.

I lived in Canada in 2014. The missus (no pics) and I booked a weekend break in Coburg. We get to this wee guest house place and the woman who owned it was out, but her old boy let us in and he was Scottish. Very nice guy. The missus was Canadian and done most of the talking but then he clocked my accent and we had a wee chat about Scotland. Then he asked the big question…

“So, dae ye follow the football?”

I replied saying I did and I was a Rangers man…his reply

“Aw thank Christ for that!!”

He suggested we have lunch at a place nearby called the King George Inn but we should go down to the basement. We went along and did just that - the basement was an old jail that had been converted into a Rangers supporters club, complete with various strips hung on the walls, scarves, framed tickets etc.

When we got back to the guest house, he kindly gave me a Coburg RSC baseball cap.

Was a fantastic weekend and the guest house place was fantastic. Really wish I could remember the name of it now as I would highly recommend it.
When I was in Canada, we went through Cobourg and there was a BnB called MacKechnie House. Wouldn’t be it would it?

When I was in Canada, we went through Cobourg and there was a BnB called MacKechnie House. Wouldn’t be it would it?
I had a look and still unsure - the one I stayed in had a pool table and a hot tub outside which I couldn’t see in any of the photos. The owners were a Scottish woman and her husband who was this big black dude who was also their chef, he was a fantastic cook and as we were the only people there that day, made us what must have been a 9 course meal to test out all these recipes that he wanted to try.

Memory isn’t on my side here, but it was out in the sticks a bit. The surrounding area was mostly farmland.

Me and my Mum were in in London, Ontario about 4 years ago to sort out my Great Aunties funeral and the rest of her affairs. We basically got everything sorted on the first day and had plenty time to kill after that, my Mum would only go out during the day because she hated the place so i would go out at night for a good few pints myself. One day we went out for our lunch and walked past a pub called "Scot's Corner" and noticed a car outside with a regi plate "I8rox" or "1brox" or something similiar. Decided that night to go in for a drink and instantly clocked the framed Rangers shirt on the wall. Started blethering to barman and he says " Glasgow?" " Aye mate" "Rangers?" "Yeah" " You need to come in and meet Billy the owner, he's from Glasgow and a massive Rangers fan". So the next night i walked round and went in and the guy at bar seen me and said "Billys through there". So i walked through to the other bit of the pub where it was quite busy and clocked a guy blethering away and just knew instantly that was Billy. Went over and introduced myself and ended up sitting in their company the rest of the night. Turned out he knew my Great Auntie well and worked beside my Great Uncle and was actually on shift with him at General Motors when he died after suffering a heart attack under a train. Never been made to feel more welcome than i did in there, was a brilliant night. Gave me a business card to contact him because he was coming over for an old firm game and i was going to meet him in the Horseshoe Bar, i ended up not being able to go due to a personal matter. So, Billy Thomson originally from the Gorbals thanks for the welcome and hope all is well.

must know you, it was the V.F.W. sadly Bob passed away as with many of our members, one of the reasons we had to shut up shop had some great times there.

Was looking for somewhere to eat in Athens and get approached by a waiter outside a restaurant. Food looked good so I gave him the thumbs up and when he sat me down he asked if I was English I said no, Scottish.

"Rangers," I said.

"I see Ranger many year ago. AEK my team. We beat you. But we can be friends, no?"

Why are you writing in broken English ? :)):))

Was looking for somewhere to eat on Athens and get approached by a waiter outside a restaurant. Food looked good so I gave him the thumbs up and when he sat me down he asked if I was English I said no, Scottish.

"Rangers," I said.

Why are you writing in broken English ? :)):))
Just remembering the way he spoke, mate.

The very place.
must know you, it was the V.F.W. sadly Bob passed away as with many of our members, one of the reasons we had to shut up shop had some great times there.
I was in for a couple of games around 2007/8 I’m very sorry to hear about Bob, and your other members who have passed on, my sister (ex Pollok now living in Medina) and her family have been quite freindly friendly with Bob and Alec’s families for many years. I also remember when both of them run Medina Rangers FC

I was in for a couple of games around 2007/8 I’m very sorry to hear about Bob, and your other members who have passed on, my sister (ex Pollok now living in Medina) and her family have been quite freindly friendly with Bob and Alec’s families for many years. I also remember when both of them run Medina Rangers FC
Do your sister and family also follow Chelsea?
I met a family from pollok on the train in Cleveland on FA Cup final day in 2007 all decked out in Chelsea gear.

got me scratching my head, only person i can think of would be Wilson Alexander.

got me scratching my head, only person i can think of would be Wilson Alexander.
The last time I was in your club was Aug/Sept 2007 when we beat Falkirk 7-2, we were guests of Alec and Bob. I was with my 2 brothers who both live in Canada. I remember at halftime we went outside for a smoke and there was a big giant moose like creature feeding in a wooded area. I also remember speaking to an old bloke who wore a wig and a younger fella, who when coming to Glasgow for the games drank in The Goose on Union St. My brothers also bumped into some of your guys at NARSA in Toronto.

The last time I was in your club was Aug/Sept 2007 when we beat Falkirk 7-2, we were guests of Alec and Bob. I was with my 2 brothers who both live in Canada. I remember at halftime we went outside for a smoke and there was a big giant moose like creature feeding in a wooded area. I also remember speaking to an old bloke who wore a wig and a younger fella, who when coming to Glasgow for the games drank in The Goose on Union St. My brothers also bumped into some of your guys at NARSA in Toronto.
got you now did you stay in Brunswick?

Back