Anyone think we'll try to move Helander on?

Biggest problem with the squad we have now is that it’s choc full of injury prone players. You can gamble on one or two, but having Roofe, Balogun, Jack, Helander, Ramsey, and Barisic all in the one squad was stretching it a bit. Of course we’ve added Souttar too who I imagine will spend his share of time on the treatment table.

I think he'll be with us next season as it will take time to get him match fit and too late to transfer him. Any more injuries next season though, and it'll be time to get shot of him.

I said we can’t rely on him last season and got slaughtered. Mans a good player but hasn’t played more that 20 games a season since he was a boy.

We can afford to carry a couple of injury prone players. But the amount we have in this squad is frightening.

Helander
Roofe
Jack
Arfield
Balogun
Barisic (only when a penalty shootout is approaching)
Ramsey

Obviously Ramsey was only on loan, but that's still 7 players who cannot be relied upon to play in ~80% of our matches in any given season. Possibly around a quarter of our 1st team squad.

Everyone other than Jack, Arfield and maybe at a push Balogun should be looked to be moved on.

Love the big man but far too injury prone. I reckon we need to sign another centre half anyway, but of the two I'd rather have another year of Balogun than Helander tbh.
Dont know about loving the big man, played 30 odd games for us and will end up costing us around 6 million in transfer fee/ wages.
It will work out at about 100k per game.
Shocking return.

Hopefully, Roofe too.

Absolutely bollocks because Helander is a cracking defender.

We cannot go into another season relying on injury prone players.
Crazy logic.
We pay him his years wages to bugger off, we are a player less who can potentially play.
If he plays 1 big game next year, then it's worth it keeping him surely.

Dont know about loving the big man, played 30 odd games for us and will end up costing us around 6 million in transfer fee/ wages.
It will work out at about 100k per game.
Shocking return.

Don't know where you're getting your stats from but he's played 60 games for us total. 1st and 3rd seasons didn't work out due to injury, but he was largely injury free last season and helped us win the league unbeaten while breaking all sorts of defensive records.

Far from a shocking return IMO.

No idea who would take him, he's spent most of his time here with long term injuries.

It's easy to consider him, Roofe and Itten a waste of money but they've probably paid for that 10x over with their contributions to 55 and good runs in Europe.

I think we will try but I highly doubt we will succeed. You would need to be desperate to take a punt on him with the injuries he has had especially this season.

Decent player but unless we look to just release him then I doubt he will be going anywhere.

Don't know where you're getting your stats from but he's played 60 games for us total. 1st and 3rd seasons didn't work out due to injury, but he was largely injury free last season and helped us win the league unbeaten while breaking all sorts of defensive records.

Wiki mate, 35 games.
Theres no way he has played 60 games for us.
He has played under 200 games for senior clubs at 30 next year.
Poor if you ask me.
If you think an outlay of 6 million with no sell on fee is a great return for a guy who contributed mainly to one trophy is good then thats up to you.

Absolute quality defender but him or Bassey will go imo.

Gio seems to like the more tactically flexible players and the guys who can go and go and go.

Wiki mate, 35 games.
Theres no way he has played 60 games for us.
He has played under 200 games for senior clubs at 30 next year.
Poor if you ask me.
If you think an outlay of 6 million with no sell on fee is a great return for a guy who contributed mainly to one trophy is good then thats up to you.

Wiki isn't reliable. It's listed as 60 games on transfermarkt.

I'm not saying it's a great return - I'm the one saying he needs to be moved on. Just worth remembering that most of the games he's played he has been good (particularly last season), so it's far from a shocking return IMO.

Just checked 36 games in the league over 3 seasons , obviously cup games etc on top of that.
He only played in 22 games in the league win.
An average of 20 games a season in all competitions say 60 games.
Plays one out of three games.
At a cost of 3.5 million and say 30 k a week over 3 years gives 8 million quid.
Thats 133k per game.
Aye a great return.

I'm not saying it's a great return - I'm the one saying he needs to be moved on. Just worth remembering that most of the games he's played he has been good (particularly last season), so it's far from a shocking return IMO.
One trophy , 133k its cost us per game .
Were not exactly flush.
Its that sort of return on so many players thats fucked us.

Your no saying hes played a 100 games are you.

Bit off the subject but Vydra out off contract in the summer could be worth a punt

Probably should aye, as much as I like the big man. It was £3.5m we supposedly paid wasn't it? We'll need to take a hit on that but probably worth it.

When we consider the return on investment for Goldson then it must be night and day.

Yes, I think we will try. But with his injury record and going into the last year of his contract on big wages, I suspect we will struggle to get any serious bidders. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a mutual agreement to terminate his contract.

He’s a quality defender but we simply cannot build a team with a player so injury prone.

Never liked him. Injury prone. Spends too much time tackling on the deck. Pay him off and pack him off abroad.

Bit off the subject but Vydra out off contract in the summer could be worth a punt

No. We tried to get him in as a back up when we were desperate but thankfully didn’t. He’s basically a much older version of Itten.

Dreading seeing his name in every thread this summer.

We can afford to carry a couple of injury prone players. But the amount we have in this squad is frightening.

Helander
Roofe
Jack
Arfield
Balogun
Barisic (only when a penalty shootout is approaching)
Ramsey

Obviously Ramsey was only on loan, but that's still 7 players who cannot be relied upon to play in ~80% of our matches in any given season. Possibly around a quarter of our 1st team squad.

Everyone other than Jack, Arfield and maybe at a push Balogun should be looked to be moved on.
You can add Hagi to that list too but mainly because he’s targeted by the hammer throwers in the league.

Hope we don’t try to move him on too fast, he might get injured.

We need players that can contribute more. Need to see him moved on.

Someone in italy might take him, he might be injury prone but hes a really good player when he is fit so if bruno alves can get a club in italy after leaving us then so can he

A bit like Kemar Roofe, if he could be relied on to stay fit he wouldn't be at Rangers. At top class defender who would be at Arsenal/Chelsea level if he could keep his backside off the treatment table.

Great defender, but he’s just not reliable. It’s a shame really because when he’s actually fit he’s a real asset, his reading of the game is superb.

We'll try, but I don't think anyone is desperate for a defender whose injury woes get worse and worse each year.

Love the big man but far too injury prone. I reckon we need to sign another centre half anyway, but of the two I'd rather have another year of Balogun than Helander tbh.
Yes. We need to be bringing in players who have good availability. Helander is made of glass unfortunately.

The circumstance of each player we have is so removed.

move on injury prone players, it is a great sound bite but Ryan Jack is nothing like Hellander and Roofe in terms of role, likely wage, home grown criteria, how much easier he is to maintain etc.

Hellander is one we should be looking to move out

I see Martin Bain has multiple profiles on here, pay him off FFS.

Worst case he sees out his contract, we may get 15 important games out of him.

Ideally sell.

Best defender at the club when fit, unfortunately he seems to go from one injury to the next.

Is this utopian image of a squad of footballers who never get injured a symptom of the gaming generation?

There will be no offers for Helander or Roofe for that matter, so are people suggesting they should be paid off? Because thats the only basis on which they go. They will remain our burden till their contracts are up.

Was Gerrard not interest in taking him?

Probably just paper talk but it does make you think he could do well somewhere that there’s not as many games.
His injury record is nothing to do with the amount of games we play.

He would have to play a lot for that to be a factor.

Will we try to move him on….? Possibly!

But who would want to take a punt on a 30 yr old injury prone centre half?

Even moreso if a fee were to be involved.
Exactly this. It is very easy to say we should move him on, but who will take him.

We had a stellar season when winning 55 and expected a few from that team to move on. No bids came. You cannot sell if no one is for buying.
I think we are stuck with Helander at least until christmas.

We can't afford to lose Goldson and have Souttar, Helander and possibly Balogun as our options.

Helander should be sold and Balogun should be released with two new CBs signed.

Two new CBs, Souttar and King should be our options next season.

Yes, and I don't think it would be a bad thing. I love big Helander. I think when he's fit and playing he's a brilliant defender and probably our best on ability by a good bit. The trouble is he clearly can't stay fit and that in all honesty is of no use to us.

The one area of the field where we don't want to be chopping and changing is the central defence. We want two regular players playing there most of the time, changing occasionally. That builds a very strong defence.

Sorry, but for me Gio should be looking to move Helander on.

Back