Anyone watched ‘Scotland 78: A Love Story’ Almost forgot Howe awful wee Bud was treated

Coisty09

Official Ticketer
The story of the 1978 farce in Argentina has been done by the BBC Nazis.
That throbber Cosgrove is on it talking about Scottish identity abs some of it is like an SNP political broadcast.
The programme itself is not too bad and it does bring back memories to those of us old enough to remember the pain and anguish as well as the hope.
It also shows how inept the Scottish football Association was back then and it doesn’t seem that much has changed since.
A hotel with unfinished rooms, an empty swimming pool and no proper training pitch.
And of course the imposter of a manager.
With the players we had at the time scotland really should have been challenging for the title.
The reaction towards Willie Johnston failing a drugs test was brutal and destroyed him. He took some yellow pills for hay fever.
I spoke to him about it a few years back and, as he said in the programme, he loved every minute of his football career apart from 10 days in Argentina.
The interesting thing for me about the programme was that those who have gone into be great successes such as Souness and Dalglish would not demean themselves by talking about Ally’s aberrations.

The way the SFA treated Bud was shameful. Hung out to dry to deflect from their own and their manager’s inadequacies. Maybe he would have been treated equally as badly had he not played with Rangers but you wonder.

Big DJ not getting a starting place yet was player of the year in Scotland in 78 waa another failure by Ally McCloud.

The rights and wrongs of what he did , why and by who’s authority can be argued without ever being settled . What is undeniable is that Bud was 100% hung out to dry by the SFA and their media stooges to cover up McLeod’s abysmal selections and tactics and the disastrous campaign

Big DJ not getting a starting place yet was player of the year in Scotland in 78 waa another failure by Ally McCloud.

Not starting Johnstone wasn’t something to hang McLeod for - Jordan had proven himself to be Scotland’s number one target man for years - but playing a crocked has-been like Harper before him definitely was.

A lot is made of how unlucky Scotland are at World Cups, but so much of it is down to our own ineptitude as a footballing nation, and Argentina exemplified that in spades.

It's ironic that in the uk version of the official programme there is s scotland team pic taken from the friendly against argentina in 1977 and bud is pictured arms outstretched clearly showing his pills

If the RBR boys from H&H are looking in, then please consider doing a show on this documentary.

He didn’t watch Peru prior to the WC.
The fact that are South American should have been enough to register that they may be at least a half decent side.

Ron Atkinson's behaviour when Bud got back to the UK was pretty despicable as well. Marched him straight to the BBC to do an live interview on Nationwide when all Bud wanted to do was go home to his family.

Jock Stein was there as part of the BBC World Cup coverage and supposedly said to Bud "what the hell are you doing here ? Go home" Bud replied "It's his doing(Atkinson), he's getting money for this"

There was supposed to have been an incident at Dunblane Hydro I seem to remember and DJ was persona non grata after that. I don't think McLeod would have played him if he'd been the only fit striker in the squad and he was probably as good as there was in Britain in the season that had just finished.

He didn’t watch Peru prior to the WC.
The fact that are South American should have been enough to register that they may be at least a half decent side.
I heard a story that Rough had asked him if there was anyone particular to watch out for at set pieces and the bold Ally advised no they're a bunch of old men.
Cue Cubillas.
You never warned me about him says Rough.
I didny know says MacLeod.
As much as I couldn't stand Craig Brown as a manager, he would have known what Peru had for breakfast that morning.

Who was president and chief exec of SFA in 1978 ? Ernie Walker one of them ?

the truth is scotland could rightly be seen as a backward football nation across all of these decades - to the point where performance has plummeted relative to the world and scandals have rocketed .

its a cesspit

Back