Apparently there was wall to wall coverage of Celtic matches in 1970s Australia

When I moved to Oz in 2006 you couldnt get any live games on tv. I had to travel from Canberra to Coggee Bay near Sydney and pay $24 to get into a live screening of an OF game. That's the way it was just 15 years ago.

When I moved to Oz in 2006 you couldnt get any live games on tv. I had to travel from Canberra to Coggee Bay near Sydney and pay $24 to get into a live screening of an OF game. That's the way it was just 15 years ago.
Not quite true. Scottish football has been on Foxtel since 1995, either live or delayed.

Big Ange from prisoner cell block H rings a bell? Not a manager watching filth games in the 70’s. Just watch the pathetic Scottish mhedia build this Dingo up.

Not quite true. Scottish football has been on Foxtel since 1995, either live or delayed.
Yep. Fox Sports used to relay Sky Sport feeds from the UK, the 1999 Scottish Cup Final they had a guy from one of the local RSCs in the studio as a panel guest! I'm fairly certain the Celtic guest was Willie Wallace. Then I think ESPN held the rights in Australasia.

During the Setanta years it was a bit difficult because I think they initially didn't have a dedicated channel. I remember people trying to sort out special satellite dishes to watch the games?

“I wouldn’t have lasted as long at this game if I hadn’t been successful.”

I’m very successful at the game of Risk in my house. I probably wouldn’t have lasted as long as the undisputed champion if 1) I had more kids, 2) my older kids could actually be bothered to play, and 3) my wife could understand the rules.

But hey, success is unqualified, right?

To be fair to him, the last thing you need is a manager who wants to start with the 5th, 6th or 7th game.

Maybe he’ll end up doing a Viduka? If the CL draw is unkind and he can’t get players in, KDS could be the place to be next month :cool:
I'd forgotten about all the shit Viduka caused them. Maybe they got confused as he changed his name and they thought Marko Viduka was actually Mark O'Viduka.

You could write every terrier managers joining press conference always the same peddled out by the club for them to say

can confirm its true, here's a still image captured from a home video
clYqfND.jpg

I lived in Canberra from 2006 to Nov 2009. The only way I could see a live game in 2006 was in the Coogee Bay RSL. I travelled through with my wife and had to pay $24 to get entry for a live screening. The next time I saw a game live at home was in 2008.

Yep. Fox Sports used to relay Sky Sport feeds from the UK, the 1999 Scottish Cup Final they had a guy from one of the local RSCs in the studio as a panel guest! I'm fairly certain the Celtic guest was Willie Wallace. Then I think ESPN held the rights in Australasia.

During the Setanta years it was a bit difficult because I think they initially didn't have a dedicated channel. I remember people trying to sort out special satellite dishes to watch the games?

When I arrived in Canberra in Jan 2006 you couldnt see live Scottish football as far as Im aware. No one showed Scottish football live. I managed to get a game on live in 2008 in the local RSL but this wasnt readily available.

When I arrived in Canberra in Jan 2006 you couldnt see live Scottish football as far as Im aware. No one showed Scottish football live. I managed to get a game on live in 2008 in the local RSL but this wasnt readily available.
Yeah that's what I'm saying about Setanta. Prior to that deal the rights for Australasia were separate. From about 2000-2005 the rights were with ESPN and the games were available through Foxtel. Prior to that they were with Fox Sports with feeds sent from Sky in UK.

The Setanta deal with the SPL took into account global rights but the issue was they didn't have a channel in Australia and didn't sell on the rights. They basically sold packages to pubs and clubs through satellite and that was it. So from 2005 to 2007 you couldn't get it on Foxtel. As I said, I remember a guy looking in to getting a special satellite dish so they could pick up the feed themselves at home. They then launched their own channel in Australia via Foxtel in 2007, which became BeIN Sports in 2014/2015.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I'm saying about Setanta. Prior to that deal the rights for Australasia were separate. From about 2000-2005 the rights were with ESPN and prior to that they were with Fox Sports with feeds sent from Sky in UK.

The Setanta deal with the SPL took into account global rights but the issue was they didn't have a channel in Australia and didn't sell on the rights. They basically sold packages to pubs and clubs through satellite and that was it. So from 2005 to 2007 you couldn't get it on Foxtel. As I said, I remember a guy looking in to getting a special satellite dish so they could pick up the feed themselves at home. They then launched their own channel in Australia via Foxtel in 2007, which became BeIN Sports in 2014/2015.

I was amazed you had to pay to watch a live game in a pub or club. I had to travel 300km/200 miles and book into a hotel for an overnight stay.

I came back to the UK at the end of 2009. When I returned to Oz in 2012 things were better but it took a few years before I could watch most games.

Second biggest story on the main news tonight- just after the report on ‘gullible’ being removed from the Oxford English Dictionary

I can't wait to see the street vendors selling the green Aussie hats with all the corks hanging from the brim. That'll do them for a season anyway before the experiment falls on it's arse.

He’s only joined them to shake a legends hand, Liverpool fan he must love Gerrard.

All over his wall? I loved Brian Laudrup as much has anyone but I didn't dedicate my whole wall to him, and he is one of my favourite players for the team I support :))

But we're supposed to believe this? This is not gonna end well for this guy, they will hound him after one game.
-10 staunch points.

I had Dalglish in wee side bet of who will Ange namecheck as a hero. :D

Lisbon Lions were too obvious, although couple of guys went for McNeill and Johnstone.

Reminds me of when Craig Bellamy signed for them he said he came from a big Celtic supporting town........in Wales. :))

When I was a wean, it was wall to wall coverage in my area with the Yahoos.
I despise the bastards more than ever.

When I arrived in Canberra in Jan 2006 you couldnt see live Scottish football as far as Im aware. No one showed Scottish football live. I managed to get a game on live in 2008 in the local RSL but this wasnt readily available
Never knew Canberra was that backwards. Scottish cup finals were Live from 1992 on SBS.

Back