Archie MacPherson on Rangers reaching the final - STV

On the continent when folk are asked how a final between a German team and a Scottish team would go,the vast majority of them would pick the German team.
Doesn't mean it will happen though!.

Always fawning over them and Stein.

Some forget about the Mark Walters racism documentary in Scottish football & he said he didn’t realise the significance of the bananas at Parkhead that day!

Really? A man of his intellect didn't see the significance?

Agreed. His book is full of praise for Celtic, yet has a dig at Rangers constantly regarding sectarianism.

Always fawning over them and Stein.

Some forget about the Mark Walters racism documentary in Scottish football & he said he didn’t realise the significance of the bananas at Parkhead that day!

Really? A man of his intellect didn't see the significance?
To be fair his constant mispronunciation of Darcheville either proves he really was oblivious, or that he’s a massive secret racist. Not sure what’s worse.

To be fair his constant mispronunciation of Darcheville either proves he really was oblivious, or that he’s a massive secret racist. Not sure what’s worse.
Didn't he have a slightly different than the other commentators pronunciation of Prso too? I'm not sure its right to suggest motives on one bit of information

I thought there was a fair bit of nonsense in what he said. First of all he called that mob "pathfinders". We played in European competition long before they ever did and we were the first British club ever to reach the final of a European tournament. Simiĺarly when he was speaking about 1972 anď Aberdeen and Dundee United, neither of that pair did anything in Europe back then. McLean only arrived at Tannadice in 1971 and Fergie was approaching the end of his playing days. Age undoubtedly does do some things to the memory but as Robert Burns said, "Facts are chiels that winnae ding". Archie was a bit off the mark with a few of his facts in that interview.

Archie's commentary still lives with me from the ECWC 1972 final against Moscow Dynamo in Barcelona on 50 minutes gone -
"And Rangers are 3 up, incredibly 3 up."

Like most of us who weren't in Barcelona we had to make do with highlights of the game and avoid any live score!

What I wouldn't give for those words to be expressed again tonight by whomever the commentator is.

Totally unwarrented comment. He was practically a lone positive Scottish voice in Manchester, and stated that he was disgusted when other so-called Scottish journalists cheered when Zenit scored and told them so.
Archie is, and always has been, a friend of Rangers.

see post 16.

Always like our Archie. Read his autobiography years ago and it was a fine read, even if he did fawn over Stein a bit too much.

Back