Archie McPherson or Arthur Montford ?

Incidentally what is everyone’s problem with Ian Crocker theses days? I’m not a particular fan but can’t remember him saying anything that got up my humph.
That's because he had Provan or Walkers c*ck in his mouth
Has been totally indoctrinated into believing "Ra shellik" myths ie best fans in the world,schpecial relationships,no better sight than big European night at #
# select your own favourite name for brendanbau

As has been said before, Archie, purely because I remember him more growing up...two legends of Scottish football and tv though.

He didn't sound it when he commentated then ... lets say he hid it well if he was
Definitely is a Bear mate, difference then compared to now is commentators were professional and knew how to be impartial. There are plenty examples of Archie getting right behind us though, I like his commentary from the PSV 1978 game. On YouTube.

Archie’s pronunciation of names was always interesting . Darcheville became Darkievil and Dalglish became dug leash ! Probably tons more !

Let's be honest they were both shit commentators - they just didn't have the hatred that exists today. Best football commentator was Peter Jones, anyway.

Liked them both. Archie was more articulate however Arthur was more homely, particularly when the national side was playing.
Would far rather have either of them than the puddocks we are stuck with just now.

Archie. Montford used to send me to sleep but then he did support Morton. A work colleague from many years ago went to school with Archie's son and he was a blue nose.

McPherson by a landslide, though he knew how good he was and is a little arrogant . Also he won my respect for a few great speeches he done when the yessers tried to split up our country .

I remember Arthur Montford making a Morton v Dunfermline 0-0 bore draw sould like a 5-5 Milan derby.

Archie....had more mispronunciations than I can remember.

But both were in David Francie's coat tails!!!

50/50 on them
Arthur always seemed more professional, where as Archie got right into the game and often carried away.

I’ll say Archie as he went to the same school as me.

I liked both. Arthur a big Morton man was pure football no bias and commentated as he saw the game it its purest way. Archie was a bit over excited at times.

Montford never got excited enough at the goals. Archie for me and I met him a few times at Rangers away games in Europe and he would always take time for a drink and a blether and talk about the game.

Definitely Arthur Montford, reminds me of Sunday afternoon Scotsport back in the early 70's

At the time I always thought they were a bit of a joke. However they’re streets ahead of what is on offer today.

Incidentally what is everyone’s problem with Ian Crocker theses days? I’m not a particular fan but can’t remember him saying anything that got up my humph.
Maybe a few years ago I actually liked the guy Crocker, thought he was fair. Tbh, he panders to Walker too much now, never corrects him when he is wrong - even when he mixes up players& calls them wrong names, not just by how he backseats each time walker is using his position to down our people, players and fans. Remember the kris boyd sectarian slurs whilst killie playing them & walker instigated he loved it to Crocker?? But when steve clarkE got some our fans were ripped apart & subordinates yet again. The whole MSM , pundits and broadcasters are anti rangers in my view, if u don't shut walker down or correct him then u lose my respect. That's all I'm saying mate, and I've not mentioned ALFREDO yet.

Maybe a few years ago I actually liked the guy Crocker, thought he was fair. Tbh, he panders to Walker too much now, never corrects him when he is wrong - even when he mixes up players& calls them wrong names, not just by how he backseats each time walker is using his position to down our people, players and fans. Remember the kris boyd sectarian slurs whilst killie playing them & walker instigated he loved it to Crocker?? But when steve clarkE got some our fans were ripped apart & subordinates yet again. The whole MSM , pundits and broadcasters are anti rangers in my view, if u don't shut walker down or correct him then u lose my respect. That's all I'm saying mate, and I've not mentioned ALFREDO yet.
My thoughts also. His comms on the title win at the piggery is indelibly liked in my memories of that day

Who remembers the days when you didn't know which game would be shown on Sportreel/Sportscene or Scotsport until you actually watched the programme on the Saturday night or Sunday afternoon?

I always thought Montford was a dreadful commentator. Didn't really explain what was going on.

Archie for me.

Like so many others, I'm of an age where Arthur was the presenter on Scotsport rather than the commentator but enjoy looking back at some of his trademark commentaries. Always thought Archie was right up the Sheep when Fergie was there but my view is maybe coloured by the fact we weren't very good back in the early 80s.

A bit off topic but I always enjoyed Channel 4's Football Italia on a Sunday afternoon back in the 90s with Peter Brackley and the legend Ray Wilkins (sadly both no longer with us). Modern day co-commentators should watch some of their commentaries to see how it's done.

I usually used to catch it when I was round visiting my old dear and remember Brackley introducing Razor and almost every week he would reply Good afternoon, Peter. Good afternoon, everyone. And it felt like he was speaking directly to you. In fact, if the old dear (staunch) was in the room at the time, she would reply Good afternoon, Raymond! :D

Just Archie for me.
But I did like Montfords commentary as is was short and sweet, no opinions and bullsh*t we get nowadays.

Arthur. "Watch your back Billy" Montford.
"A prodigious punt" from McLoy.
" what a stramash"
Then 3-4 minutes of silence when Yugoslavia scored to put Scotland out of the World Cup in 74

Purely as Montford was a bit before my time, I'm going to go with Archie.

Its odd, as I don't recall too much of his commentary up until the Champions League coverage in 1999/2000 and 2000/2001. And obviously the Bert goal.

Rangers commentary in the 90s was Jock Brown and Gerry McNee. Have fond memories of both commentating on our games as it was a prosperous period.

He was on Eurosport for most of the 90s

Crocker nurses a semi whenever the mhanky hordes have their pre-match YNWA against us at the Piggery.

Admittedly he has given us some memorable lines in recent times but at the same time I remember him sounding absolutely gutted when big Ugo scored there after we had been battered.

Ffs, he sounded like his dog had died when Katic scored the winner last month.

archie used to stay in mt vernon and when we played football as kids he would come and chat to us about rangers and showed us a scottish cup medal sure it was colin jacksons so he gets my vote

Archie for me, but Arthur's commentaries could be quite amusing at times - 'the ball's bobbing about like a cork on the sea, what a stramash' and 'what a goal, what a game, what a match!' Bob Crampsey was another good commentator, one of the most knowledgeable.

Miss Archie on commentary these days. Always sounded like he had a genuine love for the game.

Compare him to a useless bastard like Rob McLean who never sounds anything less than suicidal.

With regard to Arthur and his commentary on the Scottish national side..
I read in a fanzine years ago about how he dealt with a minor incident while commentating on a Czechoslovakia v Scotland qualifier in about 1973....
Late in the game Scotland are behind and chasing the game, the Czechs begin minor gamesmanship, the ball boys taking it slow when returning the ball etc..
With microphones at pitch level,they picked up and broadcast some unseemly dialogue from Denis Law..." haw yoo,ya we dick,giz that fukkin baw"...
A moment of silence, before Mr Montford describes the situation...."Denis Law,quite correctly, telling that young man to get a move on "
. :))

Back