Are our expectations ‘damaged’

ArfieldsSalute

We used to be a big fish, domestically and in Europe. We used to punch above our weight financially and on the park but times have changed and as a support we have not changed our expectations.

Football isn’t what it was - nowadays money rules the game and if you don’t have it, 99 times out 100 you don’t win things. Sure, you can have your ‘good runs’ or wins against run of play but it goes without saying.....the big teams usually are more consistent and hence win leagues.

I am not for a second saying we are below them across the way in stature but as a playing squad we are, it’s plain and simple and a fact. If we compete and get anything from this season it will be unbelievable. A full new team assembled in the summer not to mention other factors such as poor decisions have made getting back to the heights we once had that more difficult.

But as a fan base, we are still expecting to beat everyone, to pump all in front of us and be on top. If you look at us in world football, stature wise we will always be a ‘big team’, great support who travel everywhere and sell out at home each week BUT......we are no longer a big team on the park. We cannot compete financially with those down south, teams such as Burley/Southampton etc have more riches than us.....probably not right but true meaning their quality of player can be more wide range and better.

We need to understand that having a big team mentality requires the financial backing to boot and the players/management also. I know we are up and down this season but I truly believe we have a big time manager in that he has the mentality to take us to the next step. The issue is in order to get there it will take time, possibly a few seasons of buying in specific players at certain times and growing as we go. The 16 players in summer were dobe to make us more competitive and it has, the up coming windows will be used to add specific players and quality buys.

I think as a support we really need to take a step back and genuinely ask.....are we being fair in our criticism? Yes we’ll make mistakes but so will they all. Man City are flying yet got pumped off Chelsea - bad games/performances happen.

We need to grow together, let the manager work his magic. Give him time to do so and we’ll see the rewards.

The last 6/7 years has been a non event really for us. We were kicked from pillar to post and it has hit us hard. We are getting better but surely, keep emotions in check and ask if you are being fair. Otherwise let’s keep the same cycle going of not allowing anyone (player or management) to grow.

Look forward to the usual - that’s rubbish blah blah. But every team who has taken the step back and allowed a philosophy to flourish has reaped the benefits (Ajax/Barcelona/Belgium etc)

We fly off the handle when we go a goal down on here

I am guilty of it.

I think as a support we have been conditioned to see medicocrity over past few years so it's a frustration and anger that spills onto whoever's next in chsrge

Never lower the expectations. Otherwise Celtic will win 20 in a row.

Nobody is saying lower expectations, just realise that these days will happen. Be angry, be frustrated (I sure am today) but emotions need to be kept in check.....!

And we ARE a better team, I can assure you we will be above them come May.

As stated above, even the big teams have off days, we are going through a tough patch and is to be expected

we've played them 3 times and haven't proven anything

Sanity and tolerance is required.

We dream big but realism must be to the fore.

I'm excusing nothing in this post.

Reality is, if we win on thursday, we qualify through the group stages.

Match cellic's results until the 29th and a win will see us going into 2019 only 2 points behind them with maybe just us in the prestigious rounds of the EL.

Our baws are booted again, we get up and we fight.

Onwards and upwards Rangers.

Nobody is saying lower expectations, just realise that these days will happen. Be angry, be frustrated (I sure am today) but emotions need to be kept in check.....!

I hate knee jerk reactions. However, I don’t feel it’s just a case of a bad few days. The engine room of our team is way below par and the strongest team is not picked week in week out.

we're outspending aberdeen 2:1

I expect to beat them
And Dundee 50:1 (or what ever the ratio is)

We have unrealistic expectations created by the Gerrard positivity and Europe.

If we were offered the position we find ourselves in at the start of the season, we would have taken it. Gladly.

But, we demand more. And that’s right. It’s what makes is better than the rest. If any one who plays for us can’t cope with that, then thanks, but no thanks.

we've played them 3 times and haven't proven anything

And they have proven what in return? Any sane person knows they have robbed us of points.....we controlled each game but bad performances on day/refereeing cost us.

Aberdeen are plain and simply pish.....they mugged us with a last minute equaliser against 10 men, scored twice against run of play and sat in for dear life. Please reassess your expectations of them and us

I hate knee jerk reactions. However, I don’t feel it’s just a case of a bad few days. The engine room of our team is way below par and the strongest team is not picked week in week out.

SG will be seeing same as us, he’s had 1 window to change a full team or a specific budget.....January might allow us to buy specific players to bridge that gap

And they have proven what in return? Any sane person knows they have robbed us of points.....we controlled each game but bad performances on day/refereeing cost us.

Aberdeen are plain and simply pish.....they mugged us with a last minute equaliser against 10 men, scored twice against run of play and sat in for dear life. Please reassess your expectations of them and us

I'll reassess %^*& all

Sunday and Wednesday were a disgrace

end of story

I'll reassess %^*& all

Sunday and Wednesday were a disgrace

end of story

You have your opinions and yes we were very poor but is that it, should just shut up shop and go home for the rest of the season.

Being a Rangers fan and a true Protestant (not relating the 2 as not all Rangers fans are both) for me is show class, dignity and above all fight. Fight and No Surrender and if that means we as a support need to take a reality check once in a while for it to go onto bigger things then count me in. If you want to throw the towel in and just say it’s pish without offering a better solution then I’m out

While we should be beating Dundee people have no patience and convinced themselves we were going to win the league which did no one any favors. Pedro set us back at least a year or two from where we should be and we need to be patient as a support in order to get back to winning things

Today we lacked a real hunger and desire to win

Players lacked skill and concentration was poor

Team let themselves and us down today

They also let the management team down too

Time for these guys to get their fingers out and show they want to play for our club

Some of the support have nonsensical expectations based on fantasy. We should never lower our aspirations but should also understand the context of there we’ve been and where we are now. Our support is the best thing about the club, it’s absolutely incredible but it also holds us back in many ways when it comes to rebuilding.

Some of the support have nonsensical expectations based on fantasy. We should never lower our aspirations but should also understand the context of there we’ve been and where we are now. Our support is the best thing about the club, it’s absolutely incredible but it also holds us back in many ways when it comes to rebuilding.

Couldn’t agree more and is the crux of my point.
If SG is be a success should we be giving him pelters every game???

Bridge as gap? I take it you mean bridging gaps with dolly and Dundee.

I can only assume you are being serious in this question so my answer will be sarcastic LOL.

Yeah cos we need to get closer to those 2 who currently sit below us and have done in majority of seasons in past.
The only team we need to get closer to is the filth. Pains me but they are better than us and we need to match and better them to win league - simples

Sanity and tolerance is required.

We dream big but realism must be to the fore.

I'm excusing nothing in this post.

Reality is, if we win on thursday, we qualify through the group stages.

Match cellic's results until the 29th and a win will see us going into 2019 only 2 points behind them with maybe just us in the prestigious rounds of the EL.

Our baws are booted again, we get up and we fight.

Onwards and upwards Rangers.

Think there game in hand isn’t till new year
So match results an then beat them

We go into new year top

After the last 7 days that feels like w tough ask

Think there game in hand isn’t till new year
So match results an then beat them

We go into new year top

After the last 7 days that feels like w tough ask

I honestly thought they would play before xmas, happy if not.

Even more incentive to get it together and pronto.

Everything will turn around with a win on thursday.

Back