Are the American owners going to try and merge the two Dundee teams?

Bonnyloyal

Defiant Dundee United fans last night vowed to block any bid to bring about a merger with rivals Dundee.

Talk of a controversial joining of forces has been rife within the city following US-based businessman Mark Ogren’s takeover at Tannadice.

And fears heightened yesterday when it was revealed Dees’ American owner Tim Keyes could be handed complete control of Dens Park, potentially paving the way to link up with Ogren and banish more than 100 years of history.

The Dark Blues are in talks with the Dundee Football Club Supporters Society (DFCSS) about purchasing shares.

According to reports, the move would take the holding of US-based 
businessman Keyes and Dees managing director John Nelms from 68.2 per cent to over 75 per cent.

That may lead to the loss of DFCSS’s veto rights over a number of issues – including future sales or a merger with another club

And Dees’ city foes 
have hit back furiously at the prospect of moves being afoot to bring the clubs closer together.

ArabTRUST secretary Mike Barile said: “This will not happen in my lifetime.

“We will fight tooth and nail to prevent any sort of merger.

“There is far too much tradition at Dundee United to be thinking along these lines for 
the future.”

An ArabTRUST 
statement said: “The executive committee of ArabTRUST is anxious 
to find out more 
information about recent announcements at Tannadice and growing speculation about future developments with our neighbours at Dens Park.

“We have requested a meeting with the new directors at DUFC in order to clarify both our position on key issues and discuss the future plans of our new owners.

“As with previous DUFC boards, we look forward to forming a healthy and positive working relationship as we all seek the way 
ahead for the benefit of Dundee United.”

DFCSS membership currently stands at just under 150.

They will be allowed 
to express their views 
on a widely issued consultation document up until a January 21 deadline.

It would make sense so therefore it will not happen or if it did you would end up with an empty stadium and two amateur teams starting up getting the remaining fans of the clubs.

Doubt it will ever happen. Think the SFA would block it if it even got that far.

Could see them ground sharing though. And wonder if they're softening the fans up for that.

There should be mergers of many clubs in Scotland. Too many clubs and too many from the same areas.

Consolidate and I belive it will be better for the game overall.

40 odd clubs is a f.ucking joke.
Agreed, to an extent. But smaller countries than us have a lot of teams and multiple leagues too. As much as I’d say 42 seems too much, I don’t think the 10% of the size of England comparison people often make would make 9 clubs in Scotland right either. I’d favour two leagues of 16 (3 up, 3 down, with playoffs) and then regional ones below, including reserve teams from the bigger SP clubs.

Don't want them to merge, would prefer DU just died off.
Sounds good but it would just result in more supporters buses heading off to the piggery every other Saturday with Jimmy Ping.

American Owners?...... Dundee Blue Sox has a certain ring :D

Agreed, to an extent. But smaller countries than us have a lot of teams and multiple leagues too. As much as I’d say 42 seems too much, I don’t think the 10% of the size of England comparison people often make would make 9 clubs in Scotland right either. I’d favour two leagues of 16 (3 up, 3 down, with playoffs) and then regional ones below, including reserve teams from the bigger SP clubs.
Yes. I think we could easily consolidate 42 clubs into 32.

Many of the attendances are an absolute joke.

A few mergers here and there and we would be in better shape imo.

Keep playing to one sixth full grounds. Should be one team in Dundee one in Fife and one in Glasgow

Imagine there was only one team in Glasgow? You would need a 200k seater.

Regarding Dundee, I don't think there will be a merger but I think Dundee United fans should be worried with foreign owners.

Can not really see this happening.

A shared purpose built stadium on the outskirts of the city is something I can see.

Just been having this discussion with both Dundee and Dundee United fans in work.

They believe a stadium merger is inevitable and seem to be all for it.

The clubs merging they thought would be a total backlash however agreed after 10 years or so would be accepted if they seen a team capable of challenging in the league.

Economic wise it makes sense as the fan based combined would be more sensible

Let’s face it Utd with Specky Thompson thought they were too big for their boots and their fans can’t be arsed supporting them properly

I have no sympathy for Dundee Hivs. They treated us so badly I hope the new owner asset strips them and phuck them over

Having seen my local team, Caley, killed off for that bastard merger club ICT, I am against mergers.

I grew up supporting Caley, sold programmes on match day, was a ballboy, helped clear snow off the pitch, stood in and grew up in the Howden End. It was my apprenticeship until I was old enough to start travelling to Ibrox in 82.

Like many others, I was gutted when the bastard merger went ahead.

By all means demote clubs gradually from Division 2 and reduce the number left in the top divisions but mergers? Nah, not for me.

Really there isn’t too many teams in Scotland, it just that fans are lazy fickle bastards that don’t go support their team. Us, being the only full house week in week out club in Scotland

Doubt it will ever happen. Think the SFA would block it if it even got that far.

Could see them ground sharing though. And wonder if they're softening the fans up for that.

How could the SFA block it? Do you mean refuse the license for the "new" team or something?

Surely the precedent has been set with the creation of Inverness Caley Thistle (no doubt there will be plenty of other examples as well)

Tough for real fans of any club to talk of mergers I get that. Thought for years though that this is only way to make a leap forward for the city and for Scottish Football. Pool the resources, cut the expenses. One stronger club.

We're too narrow minded as a nation to grasp this type of forward thinking.

The obvious example is Inverness. People get over it in the long run

Can't over estimate the importance of derbys. Would be a shame to lose one. Look what not having one does to the sheep!

For the sake of our livestock: no merger!

Having seen my local team, Caley, killed off for that bastard merger club ICT, I am against mergers.

I grew up supporting Caley, sold programmes on match day, was a ballboy, helped clear snow off the pitch, stood in and grew up in the Howden End. It was my apprenticeship until I was old enough to start travelling to Ibrox in 82.

Like many others, I was gutted when the bastard merger went ahead.

By all means demote clubs gradually from Division 2 and reduce the number left in the top divisions but mergers? Nah, not for me.

Is it true to say that most folks in the highlands prefer County to ICT? My mate is from dingwall and claims this but not sure if its because he's biased.

Is it true to say that most folks in the highlands prefer County to ICT? My mate is from dingwall and claims this but not sure if its because he's biased.
I was away from Inverness when it happened but I do recall hearing of folk that took up an interest in County.

Really there isn’t too many teams in Scotland, it just that fans are lazy fickle bastards that don’t go support their team. Us, being the only full house week in week out club in Scotland
There’s an element of truth in that too. More entertainment choices and wives and children are often the reasons for it though. And of course poor quality product.

How could the SFA block it? Do you mean refuse the license for the "new" team or something?

Surely the precedent has been set with the creation of Inverness Caley Thistle (no doubt there will be plenty of other examples as well)
ES Clydebank was the first I remember. This was when the Steedman Bros merged East Stirling and Clydebank who were a junior team at the time .

Tough for real fans of any club to talk of mergers I get that. Thought for years though that this is only way to make a leap forward for the city and for Scottish Football. Pool the resources, cut the expenses. One stronger club.

We're too narrow minded as a nation to grasp this type of forward thinking.

The obvious example is Inverness. People get over it in the long run
Now work in Inverness and people don’t get over it , look at their attendances . Very little love for the club in the city complete opposite if Dingwall and county !

Now work in Inverness and people don’t get over it , look at their attendances . Very little love for the club in the city complete opposite if Dingwall and county !

Fair enough. From looking on the outside, I would very much doubt that if there were still two clubs, either would be in the top flight though

Dens park as the home ground and that other pitch down the street as the training ground.
Makes perfect sense.

Back