Are the American owners going to try and merge the two Dundee teams?

Just been having this discussion with both Dundee and Dundee United fans in work.

They believe a stadium merger is inevitable and seem to be all for it.

The clubs merging they thought would be a total backlash however agreed after 10 years or so would be accepted if they seen a team capable of challenging in the league.

Another plastic pitch?

Having seen my local team, Caley, killed off for that bastard merger club ICT, I am against mergers.

I grew up supporting Caley, sold programmes on match day, was a ballboy, helped clear snow off the pitch, stood in and grew up in the Howden End. It was my apprenticeship until I was old enough to start travelling to Ibrox in 82.

Like many others, I was gutted when the bastard merger went ahead.

By all means demote clubs gradually from Division 2 and reduce the number left in the top divisions but mergers? Nah, not for me.

That pain you felt is all the more reason for the Dundee clubs to merge because their pain would be immeasurable.

I think they should merge, call the new club Dundee Football Club. Their colours should be dark blue with white shorts. I'd maybe have them wear an orange away strip with dark blue shorts. Defo orange, not tangerine though.

Is it true to say that most folks in the highlands prefer County to ICT? My mate is from dingwall and claims this but not sure if its because he's biased.
I would say that most folk in the highlands and island have a soft spot for both but county seem to inspire a bit more secondary support these days. I certainly look fr there results as have a few pals who follow them and they seem a decent club.

My brother in law and his family are Dundee fans and despise DUTD so I wouldn't like to see a merger personally. Like others have said I'd much rather the tangerine mentally challengeds just died completely.

I'm friends with a couple of Dundee fans and so would be quite sad if this happened and Dundee no longer existed.

However, I'd take it if it meant the end of DUFC and a start in League 2 for whatever the new club would be. What beautiful karma that would be.

Yes. I think we could easily consolidate 42 clubs into 32.

Many of the attendances are an absolute joke.

A few mergers here and there and we would be in better shape imo.

Not better shape attendance wise though as no one would go and watch the teams.

Can not really see this happening.

A shared purpose built stadium on the outskirts of the city is something I can see.

You could be correct, it very rarely happens in football but Americans love a ‘franchise’ in the sports sense, and move sides from traditional areas all over the states for entirely commercial reasons on occasions.

Americans buying Dundee untied never made any sense to me. There is no sustainable business model at that club except to plug losses and these guys ain’t Eddie Thompson MK II.

To get involved they must have a different idea.

Last edited:
Having seen my local team, Caley, killed off for that bastard merger club ICT, I am against mergers.

I grew up supporting Caley, sold programmes on match day, was a ballboy, helped clear snow off the pitch, stood in and grew up in the Howden End. It was my apprenticeship until I was old enough to start travelling to Ibrox in 82.

Like many others, I was gutted when the bastard merger went ahead.

By all means demote clubs gradually from Division 2 and reduce the number left in the top divisions but mergers? Nah, not for me.
Your sort of making a case for mergers mate. Your local club until you were old enough to travel to Ibrox? Surely that is why the smaller clubs suffer and merger talks start.
If local folk don't go to their local teams then inevitably those clubs will suffer financially, the quality of football goes down and people don't go.
This isn't a dig at you but if clubs want to prosper then mergers are a genuine way way of doing that imo

If they merged, then they would be a new club, a new team - basically a totally different entity (a ‘Dundee City FC’ etc). Therefore, they should go straight to the bottom of the Scottish League System
They would transfer Dundee Licence to new team,been done before

People saying there should be mergers in Scotland as the cities aren't big enough to support the clubs. Do you realise if you scale that point up, you'll find that we should be merged with Celtic (and probably all other clubs in Scotland) to give us a chance of actually doing something in the Champions League? That's basically the argument that you're making, and I think it's a nonsense.

Best idea would be move to shared stadium with gym, pool, shops, 4G astroturf pitch next door for hiring out etc...

BUT Tannadice Street is a dump and will they get property developers to buy both stadiums?

People saying there should be mergers in Scotland as the cities aren't big enough to support the clubs. Do you realise if you scale that point up, you'll find that we should be merged with Celtic (and probably all other clubs in Scotland) to give us a chance of actually doing something in the Champions League? That's basically the argument that you're making, and I think it's a nonsense.
Correct.

Just because you merge a team with another team doesn’t mean all those fans go to see the new team, so the attendance argument is absolute rubbish. Would you go see a merged Rangers-Celtic team? Would you %^*&. It’d be lucky to take 1,000 in at the gate.

Agreed, to an extent. But smaller countries than us have a lot of teams and multiple leagues too. As much as I’d say 42 seems too much, I don’t think the 10% of the size of England comparison people often make would make 9 clubs in Scotland right either. I’d favour two leagues of 16 (3 up, 3 down, with playoffs) and then regional ones below, including reserve teams from the bigger SP clubs.

Agreed. Always said it, although I'd go for 2x18 teams so that we get 34 games in a season, which would be about right.

I'd prefer to have this in place when Dundee United are in 19th or below in the overall league rankings, then they can eventually slide out of the main leagues altogether and be forced to ground share with Brechin after Tannadice becomes a Frankie & Benny's.

This could, and should, happen .

The rumour is they’re looking at it now as dens Park is falling to bits and the main stand costs a fortune to maintain . United on the park are a mess . Both teams merging to become Dundee City FC , both grounds sold to developers and brand new 20k stadium on outskirts planned . Crucially they’d keep Dundee’s place in the top flight is the word I'm making this up as I need attention: . The kit will be like Chicago bears from the NFL colours incorporating the tangerine and Dundee’s dark blue . The Americans don’t see any issue with it at all and are both on board .

The above chat comes from an old friend I keep in touch with from 30 years ago, diehard Dundee United fan who says despite the Arabs trust going tonto about it, there’s actually almost an air of “ let’s just do it” among many rank and file united and Dundee fans .

Personally I think it makes sense and not just in Dundee , but someone needs to have the foresight to do it first , and the yanks may be the ones .

Don't want them to merge, would prefer DU just died off.

From a bitter point of view me too.

From a footballing perspective, if it benefited Scottish football in anyway and created more competition then I'm for the merger. We need a stronger league to improve ourselves.

Two issues:

1. The tradition, history and rivalry
2. A team with a new stadium and 15,000 every home game could actually win something

BUT would enough people go to see the new club? Or would fans simply fall away?

"DFCSS membership currently stands at just under 150" Wooft!!! To be reckoned with once they start mobilising.

As others have said, merging Caley with them ruined it for generations of support. Caley always were the bigger and better team (Rangers of the North) putting teams like Airdrie out of the Scottish cup on penalties in the snow!

It just doesn’t and can’t work for football clubs. Decades of rivalry, buzzing for derby day etc ... all gone !

United was sold for 500K , this is more than likely just an investment for the yanks. A stadium share would be a wise idea as both grounds are shiteholes.

Doubt it will ever happen. Think the SFA would block it if it even got that far.

Could see them ground sharing though. And wonder if they're softening the fans up for that.

It was the SFA that had a hand in the merger to form ICT if I am remembering right? Only a kid at the time so don't remember it at the time.

What I've read since was that the authorities basically told the existing clubs "merge and you'll be in"

As for a Dundee merger, I'd rather Dundee United just went bust

Dundee can't sustain 2 top flight clubs. It can one "big" club and one diddy club. The sooner DU realise this and their position is in div1/2 level the better.

I hope the owners do merge them and call the team Dundee FC, play in dark blue strips and move to a new purpose built Dens park.

There should be mergers of many clubs in Scotland. Too many clubs and too many from the same areas.

Consolidate and I belive it will be better for the game overall.

40 odd clubs is a f.ucking joke.

Don't agree at all. Rivalry is what football is all about.

Do you think we should merge with Celtic to give us a better chance of winning the Champions League? Not for me.

There should be mergers of many clubs in Scotland. Too many clubs and too many from the same areas.

Disagree with this mate. It's easy to say when not a supporter of the club in question and a lot of these clubs have long histories in their own right.

It would perhaps make sense for the Dundee teams to ground share, but again that leads to an emotional minefield.

Don't agree at all. Rivalry is what football is all about.

Do you think we should merge with Celtic to give us a better chance of winning the Champions League? Not for me.
Your Stirling Albions, East Stirlings, East Fife's, Stenhousemuirs, Alloa's etc. etc. - surely it would be better for these teams to combine with nearby neighbours. It would be a boost to the 'region' they come from. These teams are getting a couple of hundred at their games - it's a joke.

Their 'rivalry' is minimal as they hardly have enough fans to make it a rivalry. Merge, save ground costs and reboot the community they come from to come out and support their local regional team.

Is it true to say that most folks in the highlands prefer County to ICT? My mate is from dingwall and claims this but not sure if its because he's biased.
100% you only have to look at the numbers taken to the recent finals....ICT fans tend to be tossers and incomers to the area going to see the local side.

Your sort of making a case for mergers mate. Your local club until you were old enough to travel to Ibrox? Surely that is why the smaller clubs suffer and merger talks start.
If local folk don't go to their local teams then inevitably those clubs will suffer financially, the quality of football goes down and people don't go.
This isn't a dig at you but if clubs want to prosper then mergers are a genuine way way of doing that imo
Get what you're saying but there were still plenty folk carried on going to see the local teams.

It was the SFA that had a hand in the merger to form ICT if I am remembering right? Only a kid at the time so don't remember it at the time.

What I've read since was that the authorities basically told the existing clubs "merge and you'll be in"

As for a Dundee merger, I'd rather Dundee United just went bust
Caley also banned a lot of members thus giving them no vote in the proposed merger.

I don't see why it matters the amount of clubs? Most of the smaller clubs are part time anyway so why does it matter what part of the pyramid they are.

The only time in Scottish football History that it mattered is when we went down but that was far more to do with SFA not the lack of bottle to do what was best for Scottish football.

Your Stirling Albions, East Stirlings, East Fife's, Stenhousemuirs, Alloa's etc. etc. - surely it would be better for these teams to combine with nearby neighbours. It would be a boost to the 'region' they come from. These teams are getting a couple of hundred at their games - it's a joke.

Their 'rivalry' is minimal as they hardly have enough fans to make it a rivalry. Merge, save ground costs and reboot the community they come from to come out and support their local regional team.

Nobody should lose the club they love. We should know that more than anyone having come so close to losing ours.

EDIT: Except for maybe Dundee United :D - and obviously Celtic :D

Would be a real shame for this to happen.

Both clubs have their own histories and traditions and it would be an absolute kick in the balls for the supporters of both clubs. Regardless of my ill feeling towards Dundee Utd, no set of fans deserves this.

People on here are way off the mark saying things like 'its sensible' etc, there is nothing sensible about it.

All clubs in Scotland have a place in the footballing structure, the argument regarding having too many professional clubs (42) is another debate but they all have a place within the pyramid structure.

No clubs should be merged imo, unless it is of the will of the fans.

Nobody should lose the club they love. We should know that more than anyone having come so close to losing ours.

EDIT: Except for maybe Dundee United :D - and obviously Celtic :D
:D

I totally hear what you are saying mate. I think there just comes a time where certain clubs need to move on to the next stage to build a better team/club for a new generation. Fife , Angus and lowland Central Scotland, for example, has too many clubs IMO and if you were to merge some and focus on 'regions' then you may draw in more support from people who want to go along and back their regional side.

Wouldn't want this to happen, think it would be bad for the league overall.

We should have a top league of 16 teams, maybe even 18. Current set up is shite.

In this set up we would have the possibility of three two team cities, so three city derbies. Plus Aberdeen. That is a lot of good games and should be a very marketable proposition.

I understand peoples hatred of Dundee United but i want what is best for Rangers and i think us playing in a better league is what is best for Rangers.

If a team like DU were to survive, fark it even thrive, i wouldn't mind as long as it provided Rangers with a better domestic environment within which to operate.

Back