Are the American owners going to try and merge the two Dundee teams?

Zero sympathy for Dundee Hivs whatever happens.
I would expect that Dundee FC would be the ultimate survivor, or at very least the dominant partner, of any merger or ground share.

Your Stirling Albions, East Stirlings, East Fife's, Stenhousemuirs, Alloa's etc. etc. - surely it would be better for these teams to combine with nearby neighbours. It would be a boost to the 'region' they come from. These teams are getting a couple of hundred at their games - it's a joke.

Their 'rivalry' is minimal as they hardly have enough fans to make it a rivalry. Merge, save ground costs and reboot the community they come from to come out and support their local regional team.

Why should they? All these smaller clubs in Scotland have every right to their place in the structure.

Should we merge with Celtic/QP/Partick/ Clyde? Of course not.

It's borderline arrogance at times when I read people suggest that smaller clubs should merge, what about their fans (the most important people in this) that love their club every bit as much as we love Rangers? Just because they play in front of a few hundred fans doesn't make them any less than any other set of supporters.

All clubs in Scotland deserve their position in the structure, be it Rangers in the Premiership or East Kilbride in the Lowland League.

I lived in Dundee for a couple of years and the rivalry is so tame in comparison to others that I think the vast majority would have no problem getting behind the new merged team.

Plenty of families with supporters of both clubs, kids supporting a different one to their parents etc, the joint casual firm the two teams had. If they all got behind a new team they would have 15k-20k attendances no bother as long as the team was doing well.

Why should they? All these smaller clubs in Scotland have every right to their place in the structure.

Should we merge with Celtic/QP/Partick/ Clyde? Of course not.

It's borderline arrogance at times when I read people suggest that smaller clubs should merge, what about their fans (the most important people in this) that love their club every bit as much as we love Rangers? Just because they play in front of a few hundred fans doesn't make them any less than any other set of supporters.

All clubs in Scotland deserve their position in the structure, be it Rangers in the Premiership or East Kilbride in the Lowland League.
Albion Rovers average attendance is 250 - is there any point ?

I've worked in Dundee for years and share an office with diehard Dundee and Dundee Utd fans.

Its the only future for both clubs. They all know it and I've been having great fun at the wind up with all of them.

Dundee City FC, playing at Dundee City Stadium on the outskirts of the City (probably Camperdown).

It will be in place by 2025 in my opinion.

They dont want to hear it, but its happening.

Albion Rovers average attendance is 250 - is there any point ?

Maybe to you there isn't, but to the 250 Albion Rovers fans there certainly is.

It's very easy for us to say it as we have 50k fans every week at Ibrox (some fans that will come from these towns like Coatbridge...) but these clubs have a right to their place in the structure.

Ask any Albion Rovers/Airdrie/Motherwell/Accies fan if they want to merge, you'll get the same answer time and time again.

Fu(k dundee united.

Now that's out of the way I'm getting the popcorn out to watch them agonise over their future.

Best resolutuon is for the arab bastards to be incorporated into Dundee FC, who retain their name and colours.

The arab trust tossers can then reform in the lowest division.

Can't over estimate the importance of derbys. Would be a shame to lose one. Look what not having one does to the sheep!

For the sake of our livestock: no merger!

It's that important that probably 98% of the population couldn't tell you the score at the last city of peh derby.
Let the arabs die.

I've worked in Dundee for years and share an office with diehard Dundee and Dundee Utd fans.

Its the only future for both clubs. They all know it and I've been having great fun at the wind up with all of them.

Dundee City FC, playing at Dundee City Stadium on the outskirts of the City (probably Camperdown).

There are already plans for a stadium at Camperdown (for Dundee FC). Easy to get to from any direction, but not within walking distance of the city centre or any pubs. Not sure I’d want a stadium there if I was a fan of whatever team will play there.

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2018/05/dundee_the_dees_ready_to_buy_stadium_when_time_is_right

Here it is, I think it is right next to the Ice Rink (to the left of the Ice Rink as you look at it from the Kingsway).

Last edited:
Got to laugh every time people suggest these teams merge together.

Regardless of who it is, these clubs - Dundee/Dundee United, Montrose/Brechin/Arbroath/Forfar etc. - all have their own identity.

What would you say if a Rangers/Celtic merger was proposed? You would laugh it out of town. Just because these teams and rivalries are smaller doesn’t mean they’re insignificant.

Would you support a merged Old Firm team? No, and neither would any other fan of any other team.

As long as they die, don't matter how. Though i'd love the slow death.

Close one of the stands, and implement a modular shopping center in that location. Advertise it as a 'revolutionary' system for fans to fine dine and meet each other in familiar surroundings before the 'excitement' of a game. Then close another one and extend the center. Advertise it as a world first "Arrive early with yer ginger nipper and have great fun on the water flumes, foor the game, fit like".

Continue in this manner until the closest thing to running with a ball on the pitch is a lost border collie playing in the garden section of the newly built B&Q.

Or sumfin' like that... :D

Regardless of who it is, these clubs - Dundee/Dundee United, Montrose/Brechin/Arbroath/Forfar etc. - all have their own identity.

What would you say if a Rangers/Celtic merger was proposed? You would laugh it out of town. Just because these teams and rivalries are smaller doesn’t mean they’re insignificant.

Would you support a merged Old Firm team? No, and neither would any other fan of any other team.

Spot on mate, as I said earlier it is borderline arrogance / ignorance to even suggest it.

All these clubs have diehard supporters who watch utter sh*te week in week out, year on year. We have absolutely no right to even suggest they should merge with another local team, regardless of their support numbers / size.

All teams in Scotland have earned their right to their place in the pyramid.

Has the penny dropped for DUFC fans yet, that it was Celtic who killed them? Pillaged their best players for a pittance mid season which saw them relegated? Do they still hate us more than anyone else for no apparent reason? If the answers are no and yes, then they deserve everything they get.

Yes. I think we could easily consolidate 42 clubs into 32.

Many of the attendances are an absolute joke.

A few mergers here and there and we would be in better shape imo.

I don't agree with mergers. I see the sense in it but the clubs shouldn't be forced to do it nor should the fans have to suffer it (though I'll make an exception for Tesco FC)

Where I do agree though is that there are far too many clubs (and leagues) in Scotland's professional setup for the population.

We really require a furthering of the pyramid system.

If Albion Rovers or Berwick Rangers cannot provide as much value to the league setup as some of the junior / amateur teams could, they should be allowed to fall as far as their lack of ambition and ability requires.

If teams want to better themselves to an elite (compared to amateur / junior) level and become part of a top flight setup, they should be able too. Others who don't / can't shouldn't retain their status.

Ideally, with the money that there is to go around, there shouldn't be more than 32 - 36 professional teams in the country.

Fair enough. From looking on the outside, I would very much doubt that if there were still two clubs, either would be in the top flight though

I dunno. When you look at Ross County, I think there's every chance that at least one of the Inverness teams could have hit top league heights.

They should share a new stadium.

Benefits both clubs, their supports and visiting fans.

Neither ground if they went, would be missed.

Tannadens. :)

I don't agree with mergers. The problem is the league system where we don't have a proper pyramid. It's crazy that we can have teams like Stranraer and Peterhead in the same division playing 4 times a year with all the travel costs in front of 500 a game.
I read something the other day that would take 22 years for a club joining the english pyramid to get to the EPL. Based on Norway's system Scotland would have about 8/9 tiers.

They spent their time wanting us dead, they ignored their own team's problems, and that includes Thompson

You f*cked up daddy's legacy and sold to the first spiv to approach you

Nailed it.

There is only one team in Glasgow.
As you know Glasgow has two great teams, Rangers and Rangers reserves.

Now we've got that out of the way I can't see how fans of a club would just go to watch a new merged entity. If Rangers weren't here my interest in football would die. The only games I watch, other than highlights, is us.

Yes. I think we could easily consolidate 42 clubs into 32.

Many of the attendances are an absolute joke.

A few mergers here and there and we would be in better shape imo.

The leagues aren’t a joke. They’re at their level. Employing people, help community, giving players a chance to play. There’s no reaso to slag off wee clubs if they can survive off their own back.
The league structure is where the real problems lie. The SPL and The Championship needs to be at least 18 teams and the lower leagues need to be regionalised wherever possible.

The leagues aren’t a joke. They’re at their level. Employing people, help community, giving players a chance to play. There’s no reaso to slag off wee clubs if they can survive off their own back.
The league structure is where the real problems lie. The SPL and The Championship needs to be at least 18 teams and the lower leagues need to be regionalised wherever possible.

Regional leagues with 2(3) open cup draws would be a good way to go, IMO. It would save, time, travel, costs and make games a wee bit more appealing for people involved and who may get involved in the smaller clubs in Scotland.

If Dundee United were to get wiped out of existence for ever more it would be hilarious.

Great things keep on happening at the moment. Touch wood.

If you take a detached business point of view and try to make everything efficient then on paper merging teams looks like a no brainer. However it misses the whole point of football clubs which is the fans.

On a case by case basis merging can work. But what's in it for the fans, because they are the most important component here.

In Dundee' s case, are the owners going to be investing lots of money in infrastructure and players? What's in it for them? If you don't bring them along with you it's all negatives for the fans, the owners and Dundee.

As long as it's Dundee taking over Dundee United and extinguishing the Arabs, then bring it on.

I've nothing against Dundee and never used to have anything against United for that matter. But over the last decade or so they've jumped to every mentally challenged tune and the day they die will be a grand one for me. I doubt it'll happen though, just like the Hearts-Hibs merger never got off the ground (for those of us old enough to remember that).

Do they still wear the timex wind up watches up there

There should be mergers of many clubs in Scotland. Too many clubs and too many from the same areas.

Consolidate and I belive it will be better for the game overall.

40 odd clubs is a f.ucking joke.
Nope. Don’t agree. Let the small clubs keep their heritage.

Imagine there was only one team in Glasgow? You would need a 200k seater.

Regarding Dundee, I don't think there will be a merger but I think Dundee United fans should be worried with foreign owners.

Why?

Would you support a new team formed from the merger of Rangers and Celtic?

Nope, didn't think so.

Why?

Nope, didn't think so.

:D

No right minded Rangers or Celtic fan would go and support a merged club. Same applies to the Dundee clubs supporters.

Every team has their own history and traditions and they should be kept that way.

Merge the two clubs and call the new one "Dundee" with a navy blue strip and have them play at Dens Park.

Maybe to you there isn't, but to the 250 Albion Rovers fans there certainly is.

It's very easy for us to say it as we have 50k fans every week at Ibrox (some fans that will come from these towns like Coatbridge...) but these clubs have a right to their place in the structure.

Ask any Albion Rovers/Airdrie/Motherwell/Accies fan if they want to merge, you'll get the same answer time and time again.

Guy I used to work with years ago was a big Accies man and he did admit that there could come a point where his club might have to bite the bullet and go for amalgamation. Didn't really want to accept it but if it meant his club survived in some way then he'd probably come round to the idea.

I myself have a bit of a soft spot for Accies being from EK and went to their community groups back in the day. Used to get tickets to the games when they were "homeless". Family that ran our BB company were mad Accies fans and took us along to a fair few games as well. I'd be gutted for them if they lost their team to a merger.

Work with a few Motherwell fans, it's a straight up no from them.

My wife's family are split between us and Airdrie and no chance they'd want anything to do with Motherwell, Albion or even Accies.

So fùck if these clubs have supports in the lower/ barely reaching thousands? Still their club and shouldn't have to lose it.

I would love for this to happen so I could witness the meltdown. Hopefully the surviving brand would be Dundee Football Club.

Hahaha Beat me to that :D

I was going to say it makes perfect sense.

One club in the city. Dundee FC. Job done. LOL

Reactions: ZvP
Seems the only sensible option.

Having said that, that area of Dundee is such a dive, I doubt anyone will be rushing to buy up the stadium for flats or a Tesco.

Why?

Nope, didn't think so.

Jesus Christ I didnt think my post would be so hard to comprehend.

I quite obviously meant if there was only one club in Glasgow historically. In the same way Newcastle, Sunderland etc.

Guy I used to work with years ago was a big Accies man and he did admit that there could come a point where his club might have to bite the bullet and go for amalgamation. Didn't really want to accept it but if it meant his club survived in some way then he'd probably come round to the idea.

I myself have a bit of a soft spot for Accies being from EK and went to their community groups back in the day. Used to get tickets to the games when they were "homeless". Family that ran our BB company were mad Accies fans and took us along to a fair few games as well. I'd be gutted for them if they lost their team to a merger.

Work with a few Motherwell fans, it's a straight up no from them.

My wife's family are split between us and Airdrie and no chance they'd want anything to do with Motherwell, Albion or even Accies.

So fùck if these clubs have supports in the lower/ barely reaching thousands? Still their club and shouldn't have to lose it.

Spot on.

Some of the smaller clubs have small attendances, that doesn't mean they deserve to have their club stripped from them and some fancy franchise bullshit formed in it's wake.

I'd rather Rangers went out of business altogether than jump into bed with any other club in order to become a newly 'merged' team, I'd imagine fans of other clubs would feel the exact same.

Yanks aren't known for sentimentality where money is concerned. It wouldn't surprise me at all if both clubs are wound-up and the land sold for housing or a shopping mall.

Back