Are we like Barcelona?

Are we like Barcelona?

• Total voters

ForGodForCountryForever

We all know the dogs dinner situation they got into over the Summer when poor recruitment came back to haunt them in spectacular fashion.

That shambles aside, it seemed watching Barca play they were never really as bad as the poor results suggested. Granted they got spanked in the CL but that was by some real quality their new team werent ready for. Im thinking more the domestic games where they dropped silly points. If you watch those Barcelona really didnt play badly at all and in fact created a lot of chances, they just couldnt put them away. Sound familiar?

Given the star studded line-ups they are used to its no surprise to see them struggle a little but they do still have some very good players and there seemed to be a vast over reaction by media hacks (surprise!) who wrote them off. I did feel watching the missed chances it would only take a game where 2 or 3 of those go in for their confidence and form to start building, when it did we'd see Barcelona, if not back to their vintage best, start to approach a new kind of best. Whatever level that may take them to. They looked excellent vs Valencia last weekend and I expect them to comfortably dispose of Dynamo Kiev midweek before setting up a huge match with Real Madrid this weekend.

My point is we know this Rangers team are underperforming and there are too many players off their best at the same time. However we are creating a plethora of chances and in games like Motherwell, Hibs and Hearts we should have been winning by a country mile before it all went pear shaped.

Theres no doubt we need to upgrade this team but that may not happen on a large scale until the Summer when we will see a number of players leave and come in. However, for now I think if we can find a way of knocking in a couple of goals to convincingly win a game, it will all turn.

A double win this week and it will kick start everything.

Rangers have the best squad in the SPFL and we're up against a joke manager across the city absolutely no excuses if we don't win the league this season.

No for me, we have huffed and puffed for quite a while now, showing glimpses of what we can do, that’s not enough.

What i think one of our issues is right now which is recruitment related, is that the main 11 is pretty stale, we’ve not had much refreshing, players to reinvigorate the group, bring something new to the table.
(Lundstram is now adding something granted)
Other issues like covid, injuries etc have had an impact as well. But as a team, we’ve been poor this season and relatively normal for the vast majority of 2021. No one can convince me otherwise.

Rangers produced an exceptionally good first half against Hearts and a bog standard post international break 2nd half undermined by removing our better players on the day.

LiveReliableBluefish-size_restricted.gif

We really have to hammer home to the full squad how important this season £££S wise is last seasons magnificent 55 is now in the record books so hope the management team can got us up to fill throttle an keep the points difference till 2nd Jan with a fully fit squad an. ram home to the mhanks that we are once again in our right full place TOP DOGS in the city WATP

No we are nothing like them, their issues stem from the fact they were run incredibly poorly for the past 5 years and are now heavily in debt.

Nah,

We have always been more Real Madridy, let the tramps have their love in with them IMO.

Real Madrid being the 'establishment club' who get everything going for them and whose CEO basically runs Spanish football (and European football).

Don't really see the point in the comparison.

We played poorly against hibs until the sending off, then won. We played well against Hearts bar the last 20 minutes and drew. We're in fine margins territory at the moment. Only time will tell if we're able to up our game. I think we will, but it's uncertain.

We are top of the league with a few players who need a really good kick up the arse.

A number need to realise that there’s a more to being a Rangers player than posing for pictures with the League trophy. They’ve been coasting since March and while I like a lot of them as footballers, they are quickly becoming a bad fit for a team that needs to defend this title. Mentality is all wrong, or more about themselves that the club now that they have a league winners medal.

I don’t know how to address some of the problems we are facing but comparisons to the wheels falling off at Barcelona after 15yrs of domination are misplaced IMO.

We're favourites to win our domestic league and sit a point clear at the top, despite some uninspiring performances.

Barcelona are third favourites (around 6/1) to win La Liga and currently sit in 7th place.

They now have a weaker side on paper than both Atletico and Real. Finishing 3rd this season would be expected of them.

We are nothing like Barcelona.

Real Madrid being the 'establishment club' who get everything going for them and whose CEO basically runs Spanish football (and European football).
He clearly doesn’t run European football as recent events show B-)

I left the house 4 hours ago and we were top of the league. Has something happened since then? :confused:

Back