Are we missing a leader?

peasandgravy7

Tav as Captain I feel is too quiet and not a natural leader so I thought who else in the team could replace him but no one stands out. I want a player who can drive us forward and inspire when its not going well, these players are hard to find but I think it’s the missing link for us right now. This is not a having a go at Tav who is a good player but just not a leader for me.
any suggestion who we could get?

Tav drives us forward – the teams collapse coinciding with him being out isn't a coincidence.

We've got plenty of natural leaders on the pitch; McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Jack, Davis, Arfield. I don't think the lack of 'leaders' can be used as an excuse anymore.

Tav as Captain I feel is too quiet and not a natural leader so I thought who else in the team could replace him but no one stands out. I want a player who can drive us forward and inspire when its not going well, these players are hard to find but I think it’s the missing link for us right now. This is not a having a go at Tav who is a good player but just not a leader for me.
We spoke about this at half time yesterday mate. Everyone was of the same opinion as yourself. No dig at Tav just my opinion as well.

What difference does the armband make?
Players are leaders with or without it and the team will know who the leaders are on the park. Giving it to someone else won’t all of a sudden give them special powers and change the whole dynamic of the team.

were missing winners. players who have been through title winning seasons at a good level.

Last edited:
Richard gough by his own admission wasn't a shouter and is perfectly happy with tav as captain . Yet he's lauded as a great captain, tav leads by example. Jack goldson and mcgregor are leaders who can boss without an armband

Yes. Forget Tav the player for a minute and just concentrate on him as captain. He isn’t one. In terms of motivating the team or players round about him.

You never see him giving out instructions or having a go at teammates and not that it’s his fault, he just isn’t like that.

We don’t have anyone that is unfortunately and we just have to look across the city to see the difference it makes.

Jack, McGregor, Davis are leaders or sorts. So are Arfield, Goldson and Tav I'd say.

What we are missing is more quality and consistency in our playing squad. People always want to boil something down to a very concrete and tangible "thing" that if only we fix then' we'll be OK. Something like lack of quality over the course of a season is harder to grapple with.

Richard gough by his own admission wasn't a shouter and is perfectly happy with tav as captain . Yet he's lauded as a great captain, tav leads by example. Jack goldson and mcgregor are leaders who can boss without an armband
No disrespect to Tav but you can’t compare him to Gough as a player or captain

Yes we are in terms of say a Greig or a Gough, who could insert themselves into play “Bang”, now that’s what I want from you.
Tav doesn’t have the physical presence needed, in my opinion. That’s not to detract from other qualities he may have.
Sometimes you need someone to step forward and grab the team by the scruff of the neck. I’m not seeing that someone at the moment.

Tav drives us forward – the teams collapse coinciding with him being out isn't a coincidence.

We've got plenty of natural leaders on the pitch; McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Jack, Davis, Arfield. I don't think the lack of 'leaders' can be used as an excuse anymore.
I would have to say it is a coincidence. When we came back from the winter break last season we weren't great. Tavs absence was felt but don't think it was to blame for the blip.

Don't understand this notion myself that changing a strap onto someone elses arm will make the players lift their game, or if someone shouts a bit more they'll do better. The players love Tav as captain they all say he is a leader especially behind the scenes.

Problem at the moment is the overall confidence of the team.

Yes. Forget Tav the player for a minute and just concentrate on him as captain. He isn’t one. In terms of motivating the team or players round about him.

You never see him giving out instructions or having a go at teammates and not that it’s his fault, he just isn’t like that.

We don’t have anyone that is unfortunately and we just have to look across the city to see the difference it makes.
This isn't a dig at you at all mate but i think this becoming a bit of a myth in the mould of "albertz hits good penalties". I often see tav bossing and giving instructions, not the barry ferguson level but still. Motivation comes from inspiration , consistently driving forward and showing the ball and being brave is motivation.

I would have to say it is a coincidence. When we came back from the winter break last season we weren't great. Tavs absence was felt but don't think it was to blame for the blip.

I'm not saying it's 100% all down to him being missing, but it certainly played a huge part.

McGregor aside I really don't see the passion, or anger, when required in some of these players mentioned. A leader knows when the game is being lost and can change things quickly. Do we really have that ? I don't see it myself.

Just stating the approach to being captain, neither were shouters, gough has said that tavs leadership is shown in the same way he demonstrated his
I suspect Gough was very vocal in the dressing room he led a group of winners I’m 45 and he’s the best Rangers captain in my lifetime imo

No, I would say we are missing team mates in the final third, or the target, sometimes we also miss opposition players running in on our goal.

I suspect Gough was very vocal in the dressing room he led a group of winners I’m 45 and he’s the best Rangers captain in my lifetime imo
There would have been no shortage of people in that 90s dressing room to get things motivated, I mean who wanted to face the wrath of Archie and Walter after shite showing performance, somehow don't think the prospect of traipsing off the park at FT and having McAllister and Gerrard waiting has the same fear factor nowadays

Tell you what we do lack, is that one in, all in approach.

That tackle last night on Goldson was an absolute shocker and only McGregor had the sense to confront the officials about it. Rest of our team was %^*& knows where, leaving McGregor to look like a ranting lunatic.

The moment that tackle went in we should have had 6/7 players at least sprinting in there giving the ref a bit of heat.

There was a few leaders in Goughie's team,sure they were shouting and bawling at one another on occasion,with the exception of Greegs,you can't see too many like that,maybe AH,after that,you'd be struggling to pick players out who would kick ass if you like.

Absolutely. Do you think the Legoeater would have been placid after the decisions against us v Killie and Livi ? He'd be in the refs face along with 3 or 4 other players to ensure the next decision went their way. He also would be giving team mates a hard time if standards dropped. The only real winners we have are McGregor,Arfield, Morelos and Jack. The rest just shrug their shoulder.

Tav is a leader in different ways always wanting the ball,driving on etc but yes we do need a leader in the Barry Ferguson mould

Our collapse in form was absolute nothing to do with tav being out! Tav is not as bad as some make out, but he’s nowhere near as good as his fans make out!

Since May 2011

Back